Guinness Black Lager

Guinness Black LagerGuinness Black Lager
Notes:
Reviews: 447 | Ratings: 1,982 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
3.22/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

From notes 1/24/13: Pours a deep brown appearing to be ebony black with garnet hints when held to the light. The pour produces 1.5 fingers of frothy, somewhat lasting, light tan head that leaves a nice collar with tiny motes and streaks of lace. Aroma is thin being subdued dark roasted/burnt malts, a little chocolate and toffee, a hint of sourness and a faint hint of smoke. Taste is also thin and similar to the nose but more robust. Lightly bitter, very dry and peppery from mid-sip into the finish, declining to a lightly bitter, roast aftertaste. Mouthfeel is medium to heavy bodied and smooth with abundant, spicy amounts of carbonation.

3.3/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

It pours a deep black color with a tan head they fade very quickly. The Smell is very faint and I really can not pick up on anything. The taste is of a roasted flavor and watery. Overall it was fair, just a little disappointing.

singletary from Mississippi, Apr 22, 2018
2.68/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Something about this beer is off putting to me. It kinda tastes like licorice which I hate. The smell is bad as well. Guinness seems to be trying to keep up with the craft wave and making new styles but they've all been whiffs to me. Stick to what got you here.

3.93/5  rDev +25.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

A- Pours a super dark brown cola like color. While it has the color I was hoping for, I am not really impressed with the lack of a head, which storms in upon the pour, but quickly fizzles out....doesn't even leave a ring around the glass. Carbonation is hard to see and the lacing is poor.....not a good start!

S- I am getting burnt malt, 90%+ dark chocolate, rich, deep toffee and I detect some dark dried fruit aromas, like raisins or even fig....its quite nice actually. Overall it reminds me of a less inspiring version of the draught.....

T- The flavors are kind of all over the board, with burnt malt/heavy roasted malt, dark chocolate, black coffee characters and some fruity notes. I find it good....can't say anything bad about it flavor wise, however, it is weak but not unlike other black lagers I've tasted. Good presence on the palate.

M/O- Creamy mouthfeel and light/medium bodied, this is a refreshing black lager that does in fact have the unique character of Guinness. It is highly drinkable and is it the best beer out there?....no....not by a long shot. But I fail to understand the lack of love for this one.....unquestionably because of the large scale name associated with it. I tried it with an old cheddar...quite nice and I recommend giving it a try for sure!

ChrisCage from Alberta (Canada), Dec 08, 2016
3.44/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

sounds like this is getting some pretty negative write ups. not all the way sure why, as for a european dark lager on a budget, its pretty good, practical, drinkable, and generally fine. a lighter color with a lesser body, like a darker root beer in the glass, but the head is nice. how dark and thick did you expect it to be? i think it fits the style fine, and even has a nice deeper darker roast on it in both nose and taste that makes it somewhat distinct, somewhat obviously a guinness product, and somewhat worthwhile, despite the poor reviews. its a nice beer for cooking, but its also a nice one for drinking, even with a little age on it (forgotten bottle in a basement box), but its pleasant still, smooth, oddly rich for how dry it is, and really well carbonated. a lighter side of dark ale, even with the grain depth. licorice, scorched barley, euro lager yeast with a little oxidation. its about what i expected, but i think its well better than its ratings here. it was never going to change the world, but its a more than passable dark lager. in the right context, this is great beer...

2.51/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Very disappointed in this beer, I expect far more from Guinness. I found it to be quite lacking in flavor,the smell to be very weak, and the mouth feel to be thin and watery. I would not buy again.

EMH73 from New York, Oct 09, 2016
4.08/5  rDev +29.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A nice Guinness, a bit more bubble in it.

The color is a bit more brownish than black like the Guinness draft.

The beer came from a 330 ml and a ABV of 4.5%.

I will bought this one soon again.

Lewnanny from New Brunswick (Canada), May 06, 2016
2.47/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Sure, why not.

Very dark but that's color, not flavor. I found it thin and rather flavorless. Oh, the stuff is in there all right, just not enough to get excited about, or even mention.

Something else for the die hard Guiness drinkers but I don't think it will convert anybody.

Squire from Mississippi, Apr 16, 2016

Dark brown but light easily passes along the edges. Decent head and nice lattice like lace on the glass.

Mild aroma. If blindfolded, I think I would suspect amber ale because I get semisweet caramel malt base and nearly no hop. I also get some corn in the background.

Some burnt notes but the body is light and the flavor is not strong enough to give it a high rating. The hop is stronger in the taste than the smell, but still rather light. One positive is the balance. High carbonation level.

smcolw from Massachusetts, Apr 02, 2016
3.11/5  rDev -1%

Dark pour but not stout thick, you can see through it kinda. Red and brown around the edges. Aroma was even roastier than guinness stout though.

Taste was replete with sweetness, not so much roastiness or body. Its an easy drinker if people get past the color. There really isn't much going on, its kinda bland frankly, just like the stout.

2.71/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Pours a black color, with a one-finger large light-brownish head.

Smell is of roasted malts, cacao, with some caramel.

Quite watery taste. Not much too it really. The same way Guinness Extra Stout is a watered down Irish Dry Stout, this is a watered down Dark Lager. Tolerable, yet very much is the definition of boring.

Wer34truh from Minnesota, Jan 09, 2016
3.79/5  rDev +20.7%

Pours a dark black color into a typical pint glass, but has an amber/reddish tint when held up to direct sunlight. Pours a tannish head with plenty of lacing. Initial taste is definitely Guinness, not quite as strong as their extra stout version but definitely smooth and drinkable. Finish is lightly malty and a little dry. Would not hesitate to drink more

Brian_L-2056 from West Virginia, Dec 29, 2015
2.75/5  rDev -12.4%

This is the kind of thing that your in-laws purchase because they know you like beer and it's a recognizable name.

Pretty forgettable overall. Easy to drink, but I don't know why you'd have more than one.

Evilyak from Minnesota, Dec 25, 2015
2.44/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Not enough roast grain aroma or taste to carry this one. Overall mouthfeel is watery and no lasting palate. Black and more of a lager than a schwarzbier, and hardly worthy of the Guinness name.

stevoj from Idaho, Dec 22, 2015
4.21/5  rDev +34.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Suddle coffee and fruit notes with a creamy mouthfeel, and a short finish. It has a medium carbonic bite, and low bitterness. A very nice session beer, especially if you like things on the dark side.

Nbest21 from Nevada, Dec 12, 2015
4.14/5  rDev +31.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Consider this a dark session beer and enjoy it. Good color, actually has flavor, easy to drink and keep working. Clearly a fairly bland product for the American market. Don't expect too much. My distributer has it at 8 bucks a twelve pack. Hard to beat.

cetravis from New York, Dec 04, 2015
3.05/5  rDev -2.9%

This is not one I would get again. If I wanted a guinness, I'd get one. Or I'd get a Guinness Foreign Extra Stout. There's a little in the way of toasted malt and a slight bit of hops. Just really basic, drinkable, and not that complex.

cambabeer from New York, Nov 06, 2015
3.18/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Better than I expected - abv's a little too for what I'm usually looking for, but this had a lightly roasty and toasty flavor, mild background sweetness, and it drank quickly and cleanly.

Greywulfken from New York, Jul 22, 2015
3.78/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Not a horrible black lager by any means, but nothing major about it. A great velvety texture, but little in the way of flavor. A little bit of roast to it.

3.07/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I thought Guinness stout was a little on the watery side, but this one is much thinner. Barely any roasted malts at all. A touch of that euro lager taste a la Stella Artois. Kind of lame and unremarkable. What's up with that "Cold Brewed" shit? Let's not try to be ole blue mountain Coors here.

BranfordBound from Connecticut, Jun 24, 2015
3.44/5  rDev +9.6%

Really expected more from this beer. Wanted it to be awesome, turned out not bad. A little light for my taste, love the heavier stuff. Still love Guinness! Just not this...

drunkenmess from Michigan, Apr 06, 2015
2.43/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

rb

Bottle from the COOP... Clear dark walnut brew, foamy light khaki head sticks around for a bit... Nose shows washed out dark malt and little else. Flavor is dry bitter maltiness with background dry toast... No hops to speak off... watery.. Won't ever buy again.

3.75/2.5/2.25/2.5/2.25

3.03/5  rDev -3.5%

Consumed on St. Pats day just to say I had some Guinness. Pours black as night with a finger of off white head that dissipates quickly. Overly carbonated for the style.

Aroma yields dark roasted grains, molasses, and unsweetened chocolate.

Taste is as if they took a flavorful beer and just removed all of the flavor.... Up front I get some of that sweet molases and roasted barley, but this is extremely short lived. After that initial thought of flavor, the beer converts to a light bodied, over-carbonated mess. I get some mineraliness but not nearly as much as the Guinness stout.

Overall, not something I would ever get again. I can understand the market I guess, but definitely not my cup of tea ( or beer for that matter). Also I'm not understanding the cold brewed methodology they are boasting? I would pair this with a nice Reuben sando or corned beef and cabbage ( I mean that's the only time I would ever consider a Guinness beer). it gets a 61/100.

DaverCS from Arizona, Mar 18, 2015
3.78/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

I am not sure why people don't care for this beer, but I love the taste and the smooth coffee smell and flavor. While I recognize that there are better black lagers, I maintain this is an oldie but goodie.

Kmcmillen from Pennsylvania, Feb 24, 2015

~~~
I know several who loved the smooth Guinness Black Lager, I am very disappointed the Black Lager has been discontinued in Colorado, we feel it wasn't on the market long enough to gain traction. At our house we will not be buying the dainty Guinness Blonde brew.

As I stated earlier we very much miss the Guinness Black Lager, with the holidays near, we are looking for a different brand to replace the Guinness Black Lager. Here in Fort Collins, Colorado I've put the word out to many of our Craft Breweries are looking for a smooth Black Euro-Lager.

AgendaBuster from Colorado, Nov 18, 2014
Guinness Black Lager from Guinness Ltd.
Beer rating: 72 out of 100 with 1982 ratings