Site Maintenance: Some portions of the site will be unusable until the process is complete. Thanks for your patience. Cheers!
Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Guinness Black Lager | Guinness Ltd.

YOUR RATING = None |
Read the review
Guinness Black LagerGuinness Black Lager

Guinness Ltd.
Ireland | website

Style: Euro Dark Lager

Added by mdagnew on 04-03-2010

Reviews: 441 | Ratings: 1,954

I poured this good beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The beer was a nice black color. The beer poured a nice pillowy tan head. The smell was like a raw steak. Sorry, thats what I got. The beer really was kinda neutral tasting but I like it. The beer also had good lacing. I think it is a good product with a good name and people who do not want a strong beer will enjoy.

Quick take: Guinness brews Beck's Dark. Perfectly fine Dunkel, I was worried it might somehow be some sort of off light stout, but no, it really does taste like a German dark lager. To those asking why, well, why not, except the usual Guinness premium price tag? I picked up a six-pack of this for $7 in NH which was why I tried it. Not worth any extra outlay if the Beck's is there and cheaper, but if you can find it cheap, try it.

3.97/5  rDev +28.9%

A: Pours a rich coffee black with a quick dissolving head

S: Rich coffee and Dark Malts

T: Has a rich coffee, smooth bready taste from the lager yeast, and some raisin.

M: Light on the palate, but nice carbonation

O: This is definitely a Guinness stout but just with a clean lager yeast. This is still pretty sessionable and easy drinking. This is an awesome beer. I really enjoy this, I could drink this all night, and the next week.

3.93/5  rDev +27.6%

I thought it was the best out of the draught extra stout and foreign extra. I like strong beers but I think the bite of the foreign extra ruined the taste. Id say the extra stouts better than the draught and I just really like the taste of the black lager. They go down so good and smooth, its a really enjoyable beer.

3.93/5  rDev +27.6%

Keeping in mind that this is a new product from a massive, faceless alcoholic beverage conglomerate with a made-up name...aka the ultimate macrobrew, this is quite drinkable and offers something a bit different. I hope it succeeds and they keep making it.

Basically, this is an easy-drinking lager that you can easily have a few of with just a bit of that guinness dark roasted flavor and also a good touch of that guinness appearance.

Is it an exceptional beer? I'd say no. Smell, mouthfeel, taste, etc all have that mass-produced vibe about them. But, on a hot day when a guinness seems overwhelming, but a light and fruity lager is depressing, this is not a bad option.

3.91/5  rDev +26.9%

I poured a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance- Black with a bout a fingers worth of tan head that lingers until the last swallow. Fair amount of lacing.

Smell- Dark roasted malt with a hint of chocolate.

Taste- Sort of like a mellow Guinness stout. Toned down dark malt with a tiny hint of chocolate.

Mouthfeel- Smooth and light bodied. Decent amount of carbonation.

Overall- If you are wanting a strong flavored Guinness, look elsewhere. Otherwise this is a very drinkable brew. I could easily down a 6-pack of these in one sitting.

3.88/5  rDev +26%

Pours dark black with a creamy white head that fades fast but leaves nice lacing.

Clean, faint roasted malt and touch of cocoa.

Very clean with roasted malt and cocoa notes. Earthy with a bitter finish.

Medium/thin, clean and crisp

Easy to drink, ok but boring beer.

3.88/5  rDev +26%

Poured into 9oz pilsener glass. Poured a clean, clear, translucent black with over an inch of medium tan head that had good retention and lacing.

The aroma had good, solid grains, a lightly pleasant amount of soft roast, some very gentle hops and, surprisingly, a bit of yeastiness. The flavors were pretty similar, good malts and the hops had a bit sharper presence. The flavors were nicely balanced and complemented each other well.

The body was very good, clean and crisp with a dry finish. Drinkability was very good, you could easily drink several of these low ABV brews with wiping out your taste buds. Overall, a very nice little brew that easy on your palate and on your wallet. Worth trying for most people, and a must try if you like the style.

3.86/5  rDev +25.3%

Guinness Black Lager is a black beer with a waxy, turbanado colored foam that has pretty nice lacing and retention. The aroma is very muted and of wet cardboard. There's a touch of roast and maybe spice in the nose. It's medium-light bodied; fluffy and crisp. It's lightly flavored from a dark malt twang at the first taste to a lightly bitter finish of coffee and medicine. This stuff just goes down like water. It's a very simple, refreshing black lager.

3.85/5  rDev +25%

I think this is a Schwarzbier rather than a Euro Dark Lager. I have reviewed it as such.

A: Extremely dark ruby, to the point of being black (but for the penlight shining through revealing the true ruby color). The head is a tan, three-finger froth, that fades to a thin layer with clumpy lacing.

S: Chocolate malt with toffee, caramel, and brown sugar.

T: Initial mild sweetness gives way to the roastiness in the mid-palate. The finish is dry and slightly bitter. There is a hint of the trademark Guinness sourness in the aftertaste.

M: Smooth and slightly creamy.

O: Taken as a Schwarzbier, this is pretty good.

3.84/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I was in my local beer buying place today looking for something new and grabbed a 6-pack of the Guinness Black Lager since I like black beers and lagers. I knew it would now be as strong or have the body and flavor of a traditional Guinness Stout. But that was what I was looking for. Since the 6-pack was already chilled I had one when I got home and found it to be very refreshing and drinkable by its self on a hot summer day. This is a great dark beer with a low ABV that allows you to have several at one sitting.

3.83/5  rDev +24.4%

Guinness has tried several times over the years to produce a brand that could create additional sales beyond their stouts (i.e. Guinness Gold), but nothing has really stuck. Black Lager may turn out the same way for a variety of reasons that I won't go into as this is really just about reviewing the beer itself. That said...

It's basically a German Schwarzbier, although I find it a bit on the roasty side. Sure there's a bit of caramel to the malt, and it even has some nice chocolatey tones to it, but the roastiness remains. That can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on the drinker.

The appearance is good, and it leaves some nice lacing about the glass.

The aroma is interesting with a little bit of roastiness, a hint of smokiness, and some underlying oily coffee beans.

The flavor offers a bit of dark caramel upfront, followed by some burnt sugar and subtle impressions of coffee, nuttiness, and bittersweet chocolate. The roastiness hits at mid palate, and remains straight through into the long-lingering finish. It's solid, but not particularly bitter, and fairly well-balanced. Some hops can be found as the aftertaste continues on, and they tend to give a subtle suggestion of underlying mint.

In the mouth it's medium-light in body, and fairly brisk with carbonation.

Overall it's a very decent, enjoyable beer.

3.83/5  rDev +24.4%

I first tried Guinness Black Lager with an open mind, and knowing its not supposed to be like the original Guinness. Hence the name Black Lager! I Liked it allot, and i am not a big lager fan. It has now become what I call my everyday drinking beer. It is a nice dark lager with a slight roasted taste.

3.83/5  rDev +24.4%

Grabbed a 6 pack of this last night to take to my friends place. I figured since it was new I'd like to try it at least and see how it was. This brew poured out as a deep brown color with a fizzy tan colored head on top. The smell of the beer reminded me of most European Lagers, I suppose I was able to pick up on some roasted malts on the nose. The taste of the beer is decent It's pretty well balanced between roasted malt and a bitter lager. The flavors to me are similar to what Beck's Dark is like. The mouthfeel has a good drinkable quality to it with a pretty good dry feeling in the back end. Overall this brew isn't all that bad. I still prefer Guinness Draught on tap but I respect the ideas that they are trying to put out in bottles recently.

3.81/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

As a fan of dark beers (stouts and porters especially, though I enjoy a good dark lager) I was wanting to try the new Guinness Black Lager I'd been seeing in the supermarkets and on TV for a while now. Gifted with a six pack of the stuff, I enjoyed it, but not as much as I had hoped I would.

The beer is quite black, but to me lacks the ruby-brown tinge that a true Guinness stout should always have. Also much unlike a traditional Guinness, there is almost no head to speak of, and minimal lacing. The head foamed up to about a finger's worth and receded all in the span of about forty-five seconds.

The smell is much better than the appearance, thankfully. Both the aroma and flavor intensify as the beer warms. Toasty notes, brown earthy and coffee smells all predominate, with a touch of sweet fruit and malt, but minimal hops. The taste is lacking in comparison to the Guinness stout (obviously) but there is still plenty here. The toast and coffee, the earth, and some butterscotch are first on the tongue, with malty sweetness and the slightest touch of hop astringency following. The mouthfeel is thin but foamy and refreshing.

This could have been better, but taking into account that it's a lager and not meant to be a meal in a bottle, this could also be much worse. It's a good beer to bring to parties, that's for sure, and I may go get myself some more when the weather starts to warm up again. There's nothing particularly special in this so I ask you to use your discretion, but I enjoyed it. To good health and good beer.

3.81/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

11.2 FL. OZ. bottle
Served in a Guinness proper pint glass

A - This beer is about as dark as Guinness stout. I was expecting it to look more like a bock. There is no light coming through. It is the darkest lager I have had. It is topped with an inch of tan head.

S - It smells like roasted malt with whiffs of cocoa.

T - There is some roasted malt flavor, not a lot, just some. It has a clean finish.

M - Medium. It is hefty for a lager.

O - It tastes like Guinness light. I think I may prefer it to Guinness on tap. On tap it tends to fill me up. This is easier to quaff. I am pleasantly surprised by this one.

3.81/5  rDev +23.7%

12 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a nice ¼ inch head the color of milky coffee. Body is a dense dark brown/black. Lacing fades quickly as you drink.

S: Smells a bit like Guinness Stout with the aroma of sweet malts. Not a terribly strong aroma, but once you get your nose in there, it comes out the other end in an Irish pub.

T: Initially, it’s very reminiscent of the Stout, but as you get into the beer, you notice the real differences here. A much crisper taste with almost a hint of cola. A nice, round flavor; very light. The same nice, toasty malts you’ve come to know and love. Warms up a bit on the aftertaste with just a hint of a bite.

MF: Fairly strong carbonation is the first thing I noticed. Light, crisp, goes down very easy. Body could definitely stand to be a little more robust, though; almost borders on watery texture.

D: Hate to keep comparing it to Guinness Stout, but it’s hard not to. I’ve always been a fan of black lagers, and this delivers on expectations. It’s a dark lager that tastes like Guinness. A little easier drinking if less satisfying take on the original. That said, very drinkable. Again, light, but with a nice flavor.

3.8/5  rDev +23.4%

Clear brown colored beer a small tan colored head.

Smells malty with a slight smoke scent. Mildly sweet with a grassy hop scent. This maybe faintly smells like Guinness Stout but truly this smells a lot like Harp lager.

Starts out mildly sweet with a little char and a lot more grassy hop flavor. Grass and a Nobel hop taste with a slight amount of smoke and a bigger than expected hop bite in the aftertaste. There is a bit of an ethanol flavor here but it is sort of like a Dark Pilsner in taste.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Overall I like it. Tasted on its own this is a decent Pilsner beer. Just don't expect it to taste like Guinness Extra Stout; this is its OWN beer.

3.8/5  rDev +23.4%

The beer is totally black, or maybe so dark brown that I can't tell the difference. It has nice carbonation, but the weak and quickly dissapearing head is dissapointing. Maybe it's my bottle, but there is an overpowering metal smell, mixed with a very faint, but nice, roastiness. The taste also had a faint, mild roastiness,with possibly a hint of molasses, kind of reminding me of a mild brown beer (because it's a bit bland). The beer is so easy to drink and I love the carbonation on my tongue. It's mild to medium body with the really great mouthfeel makes me want to swish the beer around my mouth before swallowing. This beer is ideal for a thirst quencher on a hot day, but a lot of times I'll prefer something much bolder.

3.8/5  rDev +23.4%

I had never heard of this until the other night and wanted to give it a try.

Compared to regular Guiness this is a lighter beer. Now I don't mean it's a light beer, but it's easier to drink and not as heavy as regular Guiness. Besides that it has a slightly darker taste. A very refreshing dark beer for the summer.

3.79/5  rDev +23.1%

Pours a dark black color into a typical pint glass, but has an amber/reddish tint when held up to direct sunlight. Pours a tannish head with plenty of lacing. Initial taste is definitely Guinness, not quite as strong as their extra stout version but definitely smooth and drinkable. Finish is lightly malty and a little dry. Would not hesitate to drink more

3.78/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

I am not sure why people don't care for this beer, but I love the taste and the smooth coffee smell and flavor. While I recognize that there are better black lagers, I maintain this is an oldie but goodie.

3.78/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Not a horrible black lager by any means, but nothing major about it. A great velvety texture, but little in the way of flavor. A little bit of roast to it.

3.75/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A 11.2 ounce bottle poured into a shaker pint glass.

Appearance - A pitch black beer with a foamy tan head that doesn't hang around very long. Good stickage. A handsome beer.

Smell - Just barely.

Taste - Mild roasted malt/black licorice flavor followed, quickly, by a crisp hop hit.

Mouth - Fizzy.

Overall - Imagine a very attractive women with little personality. This beer looks great but the overall experience is unsatisfying. Don't get me wrong; this is not a bad tasting beer. The taste, initially, is pleasant. Almost immediately, however, the flavor disappears. This beer is chugable but, aside from the buzz, what's the point. This beer is less than the some of its parts (hence, the 3.50 overall rating). P.S. Your American adjunct lager drinking buddies might like it.

3.74/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

At 4.5%, it's easy drinking, with a mild dark lager flavor. A good substitute for the traditional lager, when you want something just a little different.

Guinness Black Lager from Guinness Ltd.