Guinness Black Lager | Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Black LagerGuinness Black Lager

Style: Euro Dark Lager

Added by mdagnew on 04-03-2010

Ratings: 1,977 |  Reviews: 445

2.68/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I am not going into details about this beer. I am not going to pick on the company and what they may be trying to do. I am just goint to say this was a very underwhelming beer. I really didn't care for it, and don't want to try it again. I have tasted better Black Lagers, which is almost as good as a stout. Mild stout but good.

Don't be messin' with this beer, man. You're better than that. No recs to listen to this. Just turn on a shitty radio station.

3.25/5  rDev +3.5%

3.5/5  rDev +11.5%

3.75/5  rDev +19.4%

1.83/5  rDev -41.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

The first time I saw this in the supermarket it gave me a sad. At the same time I knew I would get around to trying it sooner or later. Today I picked up a single for a single GW portrait. Low expectations, hopefully they can be realized. Pours pretty black with a brief head that dissipates to an unimpressive cap. Nose is caramel but impressive in neither quality or quantity.

Big yuck! Something is terribly wrong here. It barely tastes like beer at all but more like evil cola. Sweet but insipid and nasty and over carbonated. I am not sure I can finish this or why I should. This is a mistake all around.

2.25/5  rDev -28.3%

1.12/5  rDev -64.3%

This beer upsets me. I love guinness. Every thing they were. And still should be. What they stood for. With this they have lost alot of my respect. They have sold out to the mass market. Guinness is not supposed to be for everyone. I'm sad. I'm sick. This is like metallica singing turn the page. CHEAP. i understand what they are trying to do. Be relevant. Current. What they don't understand is that the timeless rock of a beer they have been brewing for 250 years would keep them current on its own. Bc it demands respect. Its a fucking institution. Its not my favorite beer. I prefer more aggressive american stouts but its one of the worlds best liquids. Black lager is no better than yeungling black and tan or 1554. Like bud with black die in it. POSER!!! the slogan for this beer is. " if you are a pussy and are lying about it. Drink black lager"

3.18/5  rDev +1.3%

Pours very dark brown, totally opaque, with a good two fingers thick head. Almost like head on a coffee mug, stays for a while but then goes away.

Good amount of bubbles.

Smells good while in bottle but after pouring into a weizen glass, it smells less than average. Roasted barley, caramel and coffee smell. All very faint. Tinge of hops.

Taste is altogether very different from nose. A lot bitter than i would expect from this style. Some roasted barley but nothing great. Very disappointing.

Very watery. No mouth feel at all except that it is very light.

Not something i will ever buy again myself.

2.5/5  rDev -20.4%

3.28/5  rDev +4.5%

The beer poured out very smoothly and ended with a pillowy tan head, and it stuck around for good while. The beer was true to its name - it was black to my eyes and actually looked good in the glass for being so dark. The carbonation was high leading to an average mouthfeel. The smell of roasted barley was strong, not overpowering, but it did take the place of the normal hoppy taste in most beers. It was a good difference for a change. Overall, I have it a rating just above average due to its amazing black color.

3.5/5  rDev +11.5%

2.75/5  rDev -12.4%

Guinness Black Lager from Guinness Ltd.
Beer rating: 3.14 out of 5 with 1,977 ratings