Guinness Extra Stout (Original) | Guinness Ltd.

good
Guinness Extra Stout (Original)Guinness Extra Stout (Original)

Guinness Ltd.
Ireland
guinness.com

Style: Irish Dry Stout

Added by SixpointJMH on 11-12-2000

Ratings: 4,216 |  Reviews: 1,383

1.12/5  rDev -69.8%

Immediately after opening the bottle a short lasting mild hoppy aroma enters the nostrils and vanishes moments later. 330 ml, BBE 31/07/2010, into tulip.

The pour produces spectacular tan head atop ink-black liquid. The head becomes dimply as it retreats until clumps of foam resembling detergent floating on heavily polluted river are the only remnants of once seducing head.
Acidic aroma with traces of charcoal and without hoppiness this time.
Minimalistic acid charcoal flavor.
Let me emphasize that I'm aware of how good stout of this type should taste/smell like. The flavor profile should abound in sharpness of roasted grains or malts giving birth to coffee bean bitterness with optional sensation of bitter-sweet chocolate or cocoa. Unfortunately I cannot detect anything apart from basic sharpness expressed as acidic bitterness of charred cereal compounds. I have to bridle my tongue so I'll limit myself to saying only that charred organic matter subjected to alcoholic fermentation does not equal art of brewing.

Mouthfeel is oily and palate irritating with carbon dioxide trapped inside. I strongly dislike this brew and giving it 3 points for appearance makes me feel generous.

1.25/5  rDev -66.3%

Good things - The color is really nice, it's very rich and dark.
Bad things - There may be beers more bitter out there. I hope never to run into them. My rating scale of drinkability versus bitterness runs from 1 to Guinness. It's almost an acrid taste that takes over the tongue. I find the same taste occurs in grapefruit and bell peppers.

1.43/5  rDev -61.5%

Guinness has a reputation for being strong, stout ale. It's been about 10 years since I worked at a pub that had Guinness on draft. I used to enjoy it, so I picked up a six pack for a nostalghic taste of Ireland... What I got is a Canadian made soda beer. It's watery, sickly sweet, and stupidly simple.

I can't say a lot beyond that it's sugary, watered-down, and tastes of burned malts, and not in the good way.

1.6/5  rDev -56.9%

A-Poured into an oversized snifter. It pours nearly pitch black with a nice tan head which slowly dissipates leaving a nice ring of foam. It has some nice cascading and lacing.

S-I must admit it smells quite skunked. It smells like a Heineken with a hint of chocolate.

T-Ashtray, skunked beer,day old coffee, bitter dark chocolate, and just a hint of caramel. Absolutely terrible, without a doubt one of, if not the worst beer I have ever tasted.

M-Somewhat over carbonated.

D-I'm pouring this out right now.

Overall, I must have purchased a bad bottle because this is aweful. Without a doubt one of the worst beer experiences of my life. It looked beautiful in the glass but tastes terrible. Maybe one day I will work up the courage to purchase another bottle and update this review, but for now I urge you to avoid at all costs.

1.7/5  rDev -54.2%

Guinness Extra Stout was my first Guinness product. I never tried a Stout before. Well the appearance was a Dark Dark Brown color, with an off white head. Nice looking color. The smell was not to bad I would say the small was about average. You picked up on malts and grains. The taste was just bad I did not like it at all. It was bitter. I did drink all of this Beer. Mouthfeel was about the same as the taste just did not like it. I know there are many people out there that like this type of beer but I'm not one of them.
Sorry just not my type of beer.

1.71/5  rDev -53.9%

While at the Beer Store this afternoon, I decided to do a bit of a one-on-one comparison between Guinness Pub Draught (in a can, the only of the Guinness stouts actually brewed in Ireland) and Guinness Extra Stout, which is contract brewed by Labatt's (and is so clearly not an import that it appears on the Premium Brands wall rather than the Imported Brands wall). After serving up a Guinness Draught in my pint glass (and being thoroughly pleased with the results), I cracked a bottle of the competition.

That the extra stout is contract brewed by Labatt's does not give me a warm feeling, as they are undoubtedly my least favourite of the Canadian brewers (even Molson beers are a touch more pallatable). But nevertheless, I trek onward. My initial dissapoint lies in this brew sitting in an industry standard bottle that fails to do the Guinness-style justice. Plan gold cap with a simple print, plain gold label. Nevertheless, I poured the stout to see what's what.

Guinness Extra Stout pours almost black as night, with only the slightest hints of ruby penetrating at the very edges, and only in bright light. The brew is capped by two healthy fingers off a very nutty-off-white coloured head (markedly different from the frothy cap of the draught). Unlike the draught, this cap dies down quite quickly, and leaves only slight lacing that is quite runny. After about five minutes, there is only an ever-so-slight ring of head that still persists. Stouts are tasty looking beers, but even for a stout, I'm not especially impressed.

Smell is average, at best. I really can't get much at all in the nose, even after several moments of careful observation. All I really get is a faintly bitter hoppiness, and some burnt (not good burnt, but rather burnt to the point of unpleasantness) coffee notes. Slightly grassy, also. Nothing like the beautiful odour of the draught.

Taste is not great either. Burnt coffee (again, to the point of unpleasantness) is the only real flavour note I can detect. Beyond that is a harsh metallic sort of twang (very prominant, and very unpleasant). Some faint hoppiness (a grassiness) also, faint roasted barley, I suppose, but this brew is severely lacking. I'm mystified as to why Guinness attaches its name to it. Finish is dry and there's a general oddness that, I suppose, is a combination of all of the off flavours in the actual taste. Certainly lacks the creaminess, and the body of the draught.

Mouthfeel is a bit of a bright spot. Carbonation is only slightly excessive, but at least the body is nice and moderate. However, the draught in a can also gets a much better score here for combining that nice mouthfeel with a perfect level of quiet carbonation.

As for drinkability, I could see it being possible to have a few of these - but really, why would you want to (upon further reflection, I actually found myself pouring out extra bottles of the stuff because my tastebuds and my stomach simply could not deal with it - this is the only beer I've ever had that I can say this for).

Guinness Extra Stout is... not good at all. If you're going in for a Guinness branded stout (and you, presumably, don't have the means to actually go to Ireland), stick with the Guinness Pub Draught in a can. This offering is just not pleasing.

1.75/5  rDev -52.8%

1.76/5  rDev -52.6%

Guinness Extra Stout (Original) from Guinness Ltd.