Guinness Extra Stout (Original) | Guinness Ltd.

good
Guinness Extra Stout (Original)Guinness Extra Stout (Original)

Guinness Ltd.
Ireland
guinness.com

Style: Irish Dry Stout

Added by SixpointJMH on 11-12-2000

Reviews: 1,364 | Ratings: 4,155
4.47/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

Guinness Draught is a respectable beer that coasts by on popular reputation. I have always preferred the "Extra Stout".

The look is dark more or less approaching the ideal of what a stout should appear as.

Smell is good, surprisingly subdued, but it still comes off very pleasant.

The taste is fairly rich. Better than I remember it. Toffee notes are in there. It's a big, malty taste, and you notice something a bit different with each drink you take. Sometimes you'll notice the raisin taste, other times you might get a little smokiness. A cream taste here and there, and it tastes a little more boozy than it is, which adds to the complexity for me.

The feel is just right. Some people might want a thicker stout, but I feel this level balances out the big flavor.

Overall, 4.25. That's higher than I thought I would give it when I started out. A lot of people are going to pass it up or rate it low because it's a big name, but I recommend it to anyone who goes for dark beer.

3.91/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured into a narrow pint glass: color is black, some brown/amber on the edges, head is light tan with fine to small bubbles. Head presents at least 1/2 inch thick and lingers very well with a solid top throughout tasting and great lacing on the glass.

Smell is subdued, with sharp bitter roastiness.

Taste is very good, just great flavors that are a fuller flavor than draught: big roast that transitions to bitterness from the malt and light cocoa. Crisp and sharp flavor but enticing and definitely Guinness with the light sourness.

Mouthfeel is crisp, sharp quickly then moderate carbonation and light lingering sourness.

Overall a great beer that exemplifies the flavors that define the style: moderate roast, bitter chocolate, and light sourness all in a very drinkable beer.

3.91/5  rDev +5.4%

It may be appropriate that Guinness is the 100th beer that I would post a review for on Beer Adviocate because it was the brew that I had that made me realize that a beer can be more than a smelly excuse to get drunk.
While this is the first that I've had in some time, it still strikes me as a good tasting beer. I could not make out much with the aroma, but the mouth feel was more pleasing than expected. Of course, a Guinness always looks fantastic: black and bad ass. Who am I to argue with James Joyce?

4.63/5  rDev +24.8%

Had my first bottle in 1975. Came in a four pack. Was nothing like I ever tasted. Over forty years later it's still a treat when I have a glass. Better flavor if not as chilled as we American's prefer. Has a slight smokey burnt taste which actually works. Nice feel in the mouth and no after taste. Flavor is consistent with each bottle. A tip of my derby to Guinness.

3.84/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle poured into a pint

A- pours deep black in color with a two-finger creamy khaki colored head that retains forever, eventually leaving thick lacing covering the glass

S- smells of roasted malt, sweet cocoa, barley

T- toasted malt and chocolate up front, straight barley, finishes nearly bone dry with a linger of chocolate and roast

M- medium body with low carbonation leads to a creamy mouthfeel and a smooth finish, high drinkability

O- simple and straightforward, yet very drinkable, good session stout

3.07/5  rDev -17.3%

Poured from a chilled 440 ml (14.9 oz) can into a shaker pint glass. This stout pours jet black with some ruby highlights. The head is creamy and full. Decent lacing. I did not really notice much aroma at all. Most importantly the taste. Well this was rich, creamy, and smooth. Just a hint of sweetness and for some odd reason cocoa powder. (I've noticed this in quite a few stouts actually). The mouth feel is creamy and the finish dry. This is a very drinkable beer and with a low abv I can see me having another. I would give this an over all score of A. I prefer the nitro version w/widget to the bottled version for some reason. As always it is excellent on draught.

4.35/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Flavor wise, this one Trumps the classic, but is not nearly as smooth as the original. Love the flavor of this one, and the smell is of sweet sweet malty nectar.

4.02/5  rDev +8.4%

Guinness is either something worshiped or hated. For a lover of Guinness like myself, I consider hatred of Guinness blasphemy. But to quote Bernie Sanders -- "Let me be very clear." If you do not like that delicious black olive bite of regular Guinness, the Extra Stout variety is not for you. Even with the delicious chocolaty coffee-ee taste that now mingles with the Guinness olive taste. If you like Guinness, you'll like this as well. Not as smooth as regular, but more flavorful and sweeter.

3.74/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

My father-in-law bought this for me when we were visiting him in Florida. I cannot believe I haven't ever reviewed it.
It is a black beer with a thick tan head.
Roasted malt, sweet aroma.
Sweet chocolate, coffee taste.
Thin mouthfeel.

4.6/5  rDev +24%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.2% ABV - lower in calories than most stouts. You all know this beer....Started drinking Guinness on tap at our local pub over the holidays, really liked the over all taste and feel. Easier on the pallet over most other stouts I have had in the past.
Pours very dark brown with beautiful beige head. Taste is medium dry.

3.5/5  rDev -5.7%

Pours deep tan with a tan head that quickly dissipated. Picking up some roasted malts and a little coffee on the nose. Taste is all roasted malts with some sweetness coming through on the end. Mouthfeel is heavily carbonated and very thin. Overall it's mediocre, but has decent malt flavors.

4.11/5  rDev +10.8%

My brothers, this beer, while lacking some of the utter smoothness of regular Guinness, is a pretty damn good beer. It pours phenomenally, I mean you literally watch this beer and your mouth will water watching the fragment foam do it's work. Other than the original Guinness (which at least here in the States lacks alcohol content), and certain Samuel Adam's beers (double-bock's)---this beer is an exceptional every-day drinking beer. You simply cannot go wrong with Guinness Stout.

I'd love to see a Guinness Extra-Extra Stout (say 10-12% abc)...just saying.

3.76/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours dark brown with a 1 in head that soon falls

Nose pickups roasted barley and some bakers chocolate

Taste follows the nose with a strong roasted barley taste upfront and a delightfully sweet chocolate undertone

Overall 10x better than your average Guiness! Will definitely get another

3.6/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a very dark brown that is heavily carbonated and produces a two finger tan head with moderate retention and lacing. The smell, taste, and mouthfeel on this beer are all mild, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing: the aromas of bakers chocolate and roasted malts work well with the barley-forward taste followed by a slightly doughy sweetness. Not overpowering, not watery either. I can see how this is a crowd pleaser

4.04/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

This beer was my gateway beer into craft brews,so I had to give it a rating.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle,into a Funky Buddha snifter.

1 finger,khaki colored head,that fades fast.Black in color with no light showing through.Light carbonation .

On the nose I get dark roasted malts,and light roasted coffee notes.

On the palate I get much of the same.Dark roasted malts,light roasted coffee.Im also getting a little bit of chocolate in the aftertaste.

The body is medium / thin,with a dry finish.

This used to be the only beer I drank,but after being introduced to the world of craft beer,and with all the amazing stouts on the market,I just don't have the desire for it.Still a good beer ,that will always have a place in my heart....awwwwww.

4.06/5  rDev +9.4%

Ok this is Guinness the legend. Not a big fan of dark beer but this is good and smooth. The color of motor oil with a deep carmel head and a nice smell. As far as dark beers goes this is probably one of the best smooth flavor and easy swallow without an aftertaste.

4.68/5  rDev +26.1%

Nice and dark in the sniffer with a brownish head which is about 1 and a half fingers smell is great light light coffee scent along with malty notes taste I always refer to this as the beef stew of beers there's chocolatey notes and vegatable like happiness the after taste is very nice not gonna lie the burps are delicious the Southfield nice and full bodied all together the overall is amazing my favorite beer as of now

3.94/5  rDev +6.2%

Not bad for mass produced if you obtain it in Europe. Dark appearance with a mild aroma and nice head. Anything less than a fresh draft in UK is a disappointment.

The ABV says 6.00% but its now 5.6% and is my most favorite drink. The taste and smell of yeasty doughy bread which to me is very appealing. Head is less appealing than the draught but still wonderful.

Disclaimer: I'm not a beer expert, just a casual drinker that likes to log my uneducated and fairly uninformed opinions. Just couldn't get past the taste! It had strong olive notes and I strongly dislike olives. The other ratings are more or less guesses because I couldn't get past the taste to think about anything else and I didn't want another sip to try.

3.92/5  rDev +5.7%

Black with an inch of light brown head. Smells of chocolate and malts. Tastes of chocolate upfront; coffee and cola follow it up. In contrast to the draught, extra stout is sharper and more bubbly. Overall, this is very good, but not quite on par with the draught.

4.19/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Presentation: 11.2 oz bottle stating "Product of Ireland" poured into a pint glass.

Look: Black with a thick, chunky two finger tan head. Excellent head retention.

Smell: Deep roasted malts up front, followed by molasses, and finishing with alcohol.

Taste: Complex roasted malts, followed by a hint of warming alcohol, finishing with a nice roasted, almost smokey taste on the swallow.

Feel: Medium body balances perfectly with the flavors.

Overall: A very good beer, it definitely does justice to it's legendary reputation.

4.38/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

From a bottle into a Guinness branded glass. What can an American say about this other than thank you? It's like drinking a milky pillow. Mine was like all the others here, dark and malty, and like making love to your best friend. Ah, um, the one you mean to love, that is.

4.59/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is the best stout (dark beer) that I've had yet (10-14-16)! It's better than the Guinness Draught because it has some carbonation that evens out the deep richness of the beer. Even with the great flavour, it is very heavy on the stomach and is almost too malty. I would have to be in the mood for it, but I could definitely drink more of this beer!

4.31/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

This beer embodies the proverbial sense of having a great time. Whether it's the fantastic jet black appearance, the robust malty flavor, or the mouthwatering delicious taste you're after, this is a beer that needs to be stocked in your fridge. At all times.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original) from Guinness Ltd.