Guinness Extra Stout (Original) | Guinness Ltd.

good
Guinness Extra Stout (Original)Guinness Extra Stout (Original)

Guinness Ltd.

Ratings: 4,217 |  Reviews: 1,383

2.75/5  rDev -25.9%

3.5/5  rDev -5.7%

3.16/5  rDev -14.8%

A – Dark nearly opaque brown, nearly black. Head is pale brown in color, fluffy, lingering and leaves nice lacing.

S – Malty, though not real fresh malts. Almost a bit old, but the malts for the most part are sweet and chocolaty.

T – Bitter coffee and chocolate notes here. Nothing too complex, but does have a noticeable lingering bitterness.

M – Surprisingly thin, though it is nice, clean and crisp. Just a bit unexpected for the style. Maybe overcarbed.

O – This is a bit underwhelming out of the bottle. Though for such a widely distributed dark beer it is nice enough. No huge malt complexities, and it drinks quite light and crisp.

4.75/5  rDev +28%

4.5/5  rDev +21.3%

3.5/5  rDev -5.7%

3.43/5  rDev -7.5%

Got this one really to make an Irish Stew. Its been a while since I have had my last Guinness. Over the years, I've had it normally on Tap or in the Draught Cans.

Same old black coal pour with a semi-white creamy head. Not much of any bouquet. The taste is the same: big , round, no hop/yeast taste, good amount of malt.

I get a hint of pine tar right before taking another sip. Its bitter but not in the terms of high IBUs

Still, for St Patty's day, what better way to cook and drink something from Guinness.

March 15, 2013 - Getting ready for another St Patty's day - Cornbeef/Cabbage/Potato and Guinness.

Same coal black pour with its familiar slight brown head. Not very lasting long I may say. Not a lot of aromas going on here, if anything, I pick up malt.
The initial taste was nice, just as I have remembered it hundreds of times before. This does have a bit of carbonation, which to me, takes away from any Stout. I do not pick up any chocolate or coffee here. Its all malt and also (sounds crazy) as if I was walking out into the middle of a baseball field after a couple of innings of play.

The complete taste lacked something for me as well as the finish. Still very enjoyable. It was the first stout I ever had MANY MANY MANY years ago.

I know that I have a problem rating some stouts today. I've been drinking many of those large ABVs with loads of chocolate or/and coffee.. They are in a different category / style then this one, so I need to keep that in perspective.

3.75/5  rDev +1.1%

Guinness Extra Stout (Original) from Guinness Ltd.