Guinness Extra Stout (Original) | Guinness Ltd.

good
Guinness Extra Stout (Original)Guinness Extra Stout (Original)

Guinness Ltd.
Ireland
guinness.com

Style: Irish Dry Stout

Added by SixpointJMH on 11-12-2000

Ratings: 4,205 |  Reviews: 1,380
3.84/5  rDev +3.5%

4.03/5  rDev +8.6%

Ah the stout that started my passion for stouts. I prefer the Extra Stout to the Draught in a can or bottle. It just has an extra kick to it that I like. If this is your first try at Guinness, I do not suggest this but rather try the Draught and work your way up to the Extra Stout.

2.99/5  rDev -19.4%

Poured from a bottle to a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Almost black, totally opaque. Very thin tan head.

Smell: Smells like booze. Behind the alcohol, the dark malt is detectable but not really bold. Hops are virtually absent.

Taste: This will never be mistaken for a sweet beer. The alcohol imparts some sourness, and the malt is a dark, roasty bitter. Tiny bit of grassy hops on the back end. Finish is very dry. I like dry stouts, but this is a little too puckery.

Mouthfeel: Pretty fair carbonation for the style. Fairly heavy body and smooth mouthfeel.

Overall: VERY different from the draught -- fizzier, darker, and bolder. It's not my cup of tea, but those who think regular Guinness is too bland will probably enjoy this more.

3.25/5  rDev -12.4%

3.52/5  rDev -5.1%

Original Rating Date:
June 16, 2008

I'm not a very big fan of the original Guinness, but I really liked this one. Much thicker, creamier palate than standard Guinness draft. Tastes fuller as well. Again, there are better stouts out there, but this one was pretty damn good.

3.5/5  rDev -5.7%

3.25/5  rDev -12.4%

3.32/5  rDev -10.5%

3.67/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev +1.1%

Pours an almost opaque brown with ruby highlights. Burly, pancake-looking nut brown head retains well. Smell is of sweet toffee and caramel malts. Taste begins with a mild citric tinge that is attenuated almost immediately by the malts. The citrus-rind like ghost background is evident throughout the drink, although it isn’t obtrusive. Mild chocolate and toasted grain notes are in the forefront.

This brew has a full body that is slick, but the balance is weighted heavily in the malt. Not too cloying considering the style, but not as drinkable as others in this same category.

Overall a solid offering that I prefer over Draught version.

4.01/5  rDev +8.1%

I must admit I haven’t quite mastered to power of the stout yet so I’m still getting used to the flavours. Regardless I have never had a Guinness in my life (well in 3 years of beer drinking) so here we go. I thought it would be very interesting to try and see how a stout noob likes it.

Black as night, no light through this. Tanned head about a 1/3 inch settling down to 1/4 inch as it stabilises, leaving a trail of head down the glass, stunning. Smells of thick coffee and some sweet burnt malt.

I sip it for the first time ever....

Wow, its strong, burnt malts, thick, coffee, and alcohol. It’s all there. I stoped at this point and wondered if I should proceed? I took a bite of bread to clean the palette and tried again. Getting better. Its full intense flavour, Guinness doesn’t attempt to hide the alcohol its right there. It switches fast to roasted malt then it smooths out, just when you think it’s over, here comes the after taste of bitterness and dryness when the hops kick in.

By the 5th sip im loving it. I can sit back and let the flavours change. I feel like its giving me a show in my mouth.

Feels good in the mouth, the carbonisation is a little much but levels out the flavours well.

My first Guinness and not my last. A great stout, a great session beer.

On the first sip I was wondering why I wasted my money, by the last I was on the ground with a ring, its always nice when a beer convinces you to like it. This is a great beer.

Good work!

4.25/5  rDev +14.6%

3.71/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.75

Guinness Extra Stout (Original) from Guinness Ltd.