Guinness Extra Stout (Original) | Guinness Ltd.

good
Guinness Extra Stout (Original)Guinness Extra Stout (Original)

Guinness Ltd.
Ireland
guinness.com

Style: Irish Dry Stout

Added by SixpointJMH on 11-12-2000

Ratings: 4,226 |  Reviews: 1,384

3.43/5  rDev -7.5%

Got this one really to make an Irish Stew. Its been a while since I have had my last Guinness. Over the years, I've had it normally on Tap or in the Draught Cans.

Same old black coal pour with a semi-white creamy head. Not much of any bouquet. The taste is the same: big , round, no hop/yeast taste, good amount of malt.

I get a hint of pine tar right before taking another sip. Its bitter but not in the terms of high IBUs

Still, for St Patty's day, what better way to cook and drink something from Guinness.

March 15, 2013 - Getting ready for another St Patty's day - Cornbeef/Cabbage/Potato and Guinness.

Same coal black pour with its familiar slight brown head. Not very lasting long I may say. Not a lot of aromas going on here, if anything, I pick up malt.
The initial taste was nice, just as I have remembered it hundreds of times before. This does have a bit of carbonation, which to me, takes away from any Stout. I do not pick up any chocolate or coffee here. Its all malt and also (sounds crazy) as if I was walking out into the middle of a baseball field after a couple of innings of play.

The complete taste lacked something for me as well as the finish. Still very enjoyable. It was the first stout I ever had MANY MANY MANY years ago.

I know that I have a problem rating some stouts today. I've been drinking many of those large ABVs with loads of chocolate or/and coffee.. They are in a different category / style then this one, so I need to keep that in perspective.

3.5/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

With St Patty's coming up, seemed appropriate to pick up one of these old standbys and review. 12 oz bottled poured into a standard pint glass at around 45 degrees.

A: Dark brown, almost black, big 2-3 finger kahki head with good retention and lacing.

S: The malts are there but smell stale. Hard to describe, but almost that BMC smell. Kind of skunky.

T: Bitter roasty malts, but the taste is kind of thin, bitterness lingers. Not a lot of other tastes ie coffee, dark chocolate, caramel, etc that are often found in stouts.

M: A nice smooth body on Nitro tap, but when out of the bottle, the body feels thin and the carbonation is overly present. Wet finish.

O: Wish I was reviewing this on Nitro tap. Feel like I'm a giving this a worse rating than it deserves, or that I've just been drinking high quality stuff recently, but just not impressed. Appreciate Guinness for a lot of things in my early beer drinking days, but probably won't drink this more than once a year. That said, I will drink a lot of it once a year. Cheers!

4.25/5  rDev +14.6%

4.78/5  rDev +28.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Pour the 1 pint, 6 ounce bottle into your favorite beer mug, and instantly find out why Guinness is a legend. This is really the only Guinness product I will drink on a regular basis, and for good reason--it is by far the best.

Let's start with the head. You can chew on it! Talk about mouthfeel, this beer has a presence about it. The Extra Stout is thick and rich, and it has a texture about it. Lacing all the way down the glass in layered waves of foam. Excellent, and among the best physical characteristics of a beer I have ever seen.

The color is also amazing because it is black. You cannot see through this beer even if you shine a light through it. Many people say it is actually deep amber, but I call it black.

The taste of Extra Stout is surprisingly mellow and smooth for such a bold beer. However, it tastes exactly how it looks: roasted with a heavy, earthy taste to it. Not bitter at all. The flavor masks the alcohol flavor that many other heavy duty beers sometimes have.

I also tend to factor in price, and Extra Stout is among the cheaper 22 ounce selections. This is a fairly economical beer for what it is, and is definitely worth it. There is nothing worse than getting a 8 dollar draft of some obscure beer and struggling to finish it when you can spend less than 3 dollars at 7-11 for this.
This is an outstanding beer. Over the past few years I have drank a lot of dark beer, but Extra Stout is among the best. This beer is balanced and drinkable and has a quality to it that lots of commercial, industrial produced beer does not.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original) from Guinness Ltd.