Guinness Extra Stout (Original) | Guinness Ltd.

good
Guinness Extra Stout (Original)Guinness Extra Stout (Original)

Guinness Ltd.
Ireland
guinness.com

Style: Irish Dry Stout

Added by SixpointJMH on 11-12-2000

Ratings: 4,204 |  Reviews: 1,380

3.25/5  rDev -12.4%

3.13/5  rDev -15.6%

Appearance: Opaque black with a thin tan head.

Aroma: Like soy sauce. Definitely a lot of malt presence in this one.

Taste: Burnt malts and soy sauce. I've had this one before and it's always been better than this, maybe the bottle wasn't kept in the right conditions. I wouldn't necessarily call this one bitter but some of the malts lend a coffee-like bitterness on the edges of the palate.

Mouthfeel: Nice and lightly carbonated. Goes down smooth and has average drinkability. Light bodied.

Final Thoughts: Not too impressed with this. Would have loved to try it before InBev took over. I think I'll be sticking with regular Guinness Draught whenever I'm in the mood for an Irish Stout.

3.92/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Beautiful looking pour out of the bottle and into the glass. A "pillowy" tan-colored head that sticks around a good while. I love the aroma - there's some coffee in there. I really like a stout beer, but I'm not sure I'm a big fan of extra stouts. Overall, it is a good beer and I'm looking forward to trying some of Guinness' other offerings.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATED: This is probably only the second review I have updated on BeerAdvocate. I have a personal rule not to and leave my review stand, but after having this brew seeing that it's been three years since I've had one, I realized that my tastes have changed - and so are my feelings about this offering from Guinness. In short, I really enjoyed this beer even more, this time around. From the look and feel to the taste and overall experience, this is truly a great stout from Guinness. I am amazed how much my experiences over the last several years can change my tune against something as ubiquitous as a Guinness.

4.3/5  rDev +15.9%

12 oz bottle poured into shaker pint. Three finger beige head with almost no carbonation

Jet black with small red hue at the bottom

Smell: Carmel, cocoa, raisin, coffee, roasted malt

Taste: roast, raisin, coffee, and cocoa finish

Mouthfeel: Perfect, not at all watery like Guinness Draught

Overall, this is a beer worth having!! Enjoy!

3.25/5  rDev -12.4%

4.5/5  rDev +21.3%

2.25/5  rDev -39.4%

4.55/5  rDev +22.6%

Guinness Extra Stout (Original) from Guinness Ltd.