Guinness Extra Stout (Original) | Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original)Guinness Extra Stout (Original)

Guinness Ltd.

Style: Irish Dry Stout

Added by SixpointJMH on 11-12-2000

Reviews: 1,337 | Ratings: 4,065
3.96/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I have had this beer countless times but never decided to review it. I figured that St. Patrick's Day 2016 would mark the perfect opportunity to try it once more and write something down.

Looks exactly like one would expect - dark brown, almost black body with a big tan head. The nose is roasted with some astringency. The flavor is roasty with a great dry bitter finish.

A classic.

I hope 5s across the board isnt a disqualifier of some sort, but this is my favorite bottled beer to date. The only beer i like better is a true Guiness draft in a darkly lit pub. Forgive me if this is a poorly written review. Im a new subscriber and not privy to the advanced attributes of beer rating. Poured into a cold pint glass on a crisp, sunny day, this amazing stout gives off a pleasant smell of rich chocolate malt and dark roasted coffee. A thick, creamy head lays across the black, sweet, pungent liquid that lies beneath. A delight to drink any time of day. Goes great with a nice cigar after a rare steak.

2.39/5  rDev -35.4%

My review style is usually very detailed, but this is the first time I'm unable to do this because there's really nothing in depth to say.

I've had many porters and stouts in my time, and I can safely say that I've had brown ales that feel thicker and more hearty than this. I had many high hopes for this stout going by the reviews, but it's so watery and bland that - as someone before said - it's like drinking burnt water. Half a pint down and I can still barely register anything in the flavour profile because it vanishes so quickly with every sip.

Definitely the worst Guinness has put out; this is poor at best.

Total winner. There is no other stout. None. This truly is the king of the stouts. I've always tried to find another stout option, but no luck. Guinness - simply the best.

4.32/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Light mouthfeel, smooth drink. My introduction to stout beer, it has allowed me to explore more flavors and ive found that i love many varieties of stout brews. At 6% ABV it makes drinking many of these easy and is perfect for a night of chilli and beer with the S.O. (: happy drinking everyone!

4.03/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

I picked up a sixer to use as sacrificial brew in a recipe, and kind of regret not drinking one beforehand. It's way better than I remembered. Last I had it, it was the textbook definition of bland, but this time it was rich, nutty, roasty, and porter-like with a bit of bitterness to keep things interesting. Surprisingly nice!

4.25/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The pour is exceptional with a lush mocha colored head of foam that falls slowly. A ruby hue show you the beers clarity. Nose is complex with malt scents. Bold roast, light cocoa and earthy caramel. a whiff of bitter walnuts. A touch of dark fruit show up in the background to your delight. First sip shows a light char. Bravo! Then plenty of dry roast. Strong caramel that does not dominate. That beautiful chocolate I saw on the nose drinks lightly bitter. Mouthfeel is full. The beer finishes perfectly with just enough bitterness from hops to finish it dry but you do not notice any hops on the nose or on the palate. Perfection.

3.74/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

APPEARANCE: Black, a little ruby around the edges up to the light. Nice, creamy, two+ fingers of tan head that settles into a nice ring on top of the beer. Thick lacing down the glass.
AROMA: Sweet roasted malt, sourdough dark bread, slight smoke or saltiness, coffee, chocolate, toffee.
TASTE: Not overly sweet...Balanced. Sourdough dark bread. A little mild chocolate and coffee. Very mild, generally.
FEEL: Medium-full carbonation. Medium-thin body. Fairly dry all the way through the sip.
OVERALL: A nice stout. I find the aroma to be a little more satisfying than the flavor. For the abv, I think the feel is good and the carbonation is plentiful, for sure.

4.1/5  rDev +10.8%

Still a great stout after many years. First stout I ever had. Dark, thick flavorful without the sourness of some dark beers. Good, head and lacing. One of my favorite stouts.

2.1/5  rDev -43.2%

This is sad. The strong notes that you get of chocolate doest taste or small like chocolate and the coffee notes aren't coffee. I hate to say it because I love good Stouts but this one tastes like soy sauce. The only thing that I get good out of this is maybe a little chocolate covered raisins.

3.86/5  rDev +4.3%

I tend to favor smaller breweries, but there is a reason this is one of the best known beers in the world. Just straight up good stout taste. Seems like the flavor comes out even more after it has warmed a little bit (have almost always had this in bomber form). Delicious.

4.79/5  rDev +29.5%

This is a great stout. Stouts are great beers. What else is there to say? I love the thick, rich and creamy head that stays the whole beer through. The way the lacing effortlessly settles on the sides of the glass. The darkness of the brew. And the taste, that's where it all comes together. The mouth feel
Is a little lighter than expected, but still solid. If you're a fan of stouts, be a fan of this offering.

3.93/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

L: black with a nice foamy head
S: sweet malt, some dark roast
T: like the nose, some sweet dark malt, nice roastiness but not overpowering.
F: sessionable for sure, slight syrupiness, but still thin and crushable.

2.61/5  rDev -29.5%

It looks beautiful, but I never understood why every single time I have one bottle of this stuff, it tastes awful. The smell is coffee mixed with alcohol. However, the entire experience when I drink it is bland. It's mouth-feel is oily and it tastes like burnt water.

I stopped drinking this a few years ago.

I recommend this if you like dark beers, I am not a fan of them no longer.

2.99/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3

I'm not digging the aroma (big time) and flavor (to a lesser degree) of floral notes and light fruit. Not the dark fruit flavor that is great in darker ales, but some weird lighter stuff that doesn't fit. My least favorite Guinness variety.

4.67/5  rDev +26.2%

Perhaps my new favorite beer, and for sure my go to for a stout. Smells like roasted malt, I could bury my nose in this for a while. Taste is well balanced chocolate and coffee, nothing comes off too strong, Ever so slight hint of floral. Not too carbonated, very easy to drink.

3.86/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

L: Very dark with a lingering thick tan head.

S: Smells like malts, some chocolate and coffee. I also get some interesting almost floral smells to it.
12 oz bottle poured into a long glass.

T: I mainly taste chocolate with a bit of coffee and some floral flavors. Quite tasty with the floral notes as well. A bit of hop stops it from being too sweet.

F: Smooth and creamy mouthfeel, not like tar or anything but you know you are drinking a heavy bodied beer.
Comments: Quite pleasant to drink on its own, I made the mistake of trying to eat a hotdog with extra mustard at the same time; bad idea I almost gagged. Other than that good beer.

4.29/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I drank this out of a 22 ounce bottle, the color was very dark, basically almost black. It was a very thick beer which had hints of bitter chocolate and coffee tastes to it. It had a powerful and creamy finish to it and all in all this was a very decent beer, much better than regular Guinness.

3.69/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours jet black with thick foamy tan head that lasts for several minutes really good lacing.

Smell getting notes of roasted malts and caramel maybe some chocolate as well.

Taste bitter chocolate some malts maybe a little coffee flavor as well.

Feel thick and creamy little burn from the bitterness

Overall a decent beer probably would not have another but a solid beer just not really a flavor I enjoyed.

4.21/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours dark with an impressive tan head that settles in the middle but clings to the glass. smells like a stout but doesn't jump out to me. tastes kinda chalky and nice and medium to thick mouthfeel. overall a great beer

3.49/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Look: Dark Black, Light Tan head, lacing
Smell: Roasted malts
Taste: Roasted Malt, slight acidity, coffee, dry and bitter
Feel: A little on the thin side, medium carbonation
Overall: a classic beer, but not one of my favorites

4.18/5  rDev +13%

Well...If I ever run out of Blackstrap Molasses, I hope I have some of this stuff in the 'fridge. I can "sop" it up with my breakfast biscuits. Whew, it is heavy on the chewy. If I were out of Pinner or Hop Hunter, I would definitely down some Guiness Extra Stout...but...I wouldn't really like it. I rated this on my old, fantasized/remembered "malty-chewy" mindset. I don't like it, but, I used to...before my Hoptimum-Rebel Rouser revelation. Tastes change. Deal. At least, it doesn't evoke the "banana-malty" Coors taste...and the Clove-tasting Tripels. UGH!! P.S.: I WOULD drink it on a bet, a dare, or were it the last beer standing during the Zombie Apocalypse.

3.94/5  rDev +6.5%

This was my introduction to stouts many years ago but I've never rated it. Poured into pint glass. The color is a deep mahogany, nearly black, and opaque, with a creamy, frothy light tan head and lacing. I've always enjoyed watching a draught pour. The primary smell is a roasty malt with a little whiff of coffee and raisin. Ah, the taste: smoky malt, burnt coffee, dark chocolate, and a hint of raisin or other dark fruit. The flavors work together beautifully. The feel is creamy, smooth, and incredibly easy drinking. For some reason, I've always been able to drink a lot of Guinness without feeling it. I will say that it's better on draught than out of the bottle. I also prefer the can with the widget. But ever out of the bottle, Guinness Extra Stout is wonderful

3.78/5  rDev +2.2%

This blows the regular Guinness out of the water. This is a true irish dry stout. The original Guiness is water when compared with this. This beer actually has some true flavor. Would be glad to enjoy this one again.

4.56/5  rDev +23.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a very good beer. It's almost too dark for me (and I love dark beers), but I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's very smooth - not aggressively dark like another one I tried recently (Black Panther from Cambodia). Great beer all around! I often say that Guinness is the epitome of stout beer.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original) from Guinness Ltd.