Guinness Extra Stout (Original) | Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original)Guinness Extra Stout (Original)
3.73/5
Good
Guinness Extra Stout (Original)Guinness Extra Stout (Original)

Guinness Ltd.
Ireland
guinness.com

Style: Irish Dry Stout

Added by SixpointJMH on 11-12-2000

View: Beers
Ratings: 4,299 |  Reviews: 1,395
3.54/5  rDev -5.1%

Pours a deep brown, nearly black color with a tan head. Head starts out large but fades to a small pillow pretty quickly. Nice sticky lacing left on the glass.

The nose on this one is pretty bland. I can smell a cold liquid in my glass, but not much else. The taste is much more pronounced, but it's not quite what I was looking form I like the smooth milky quality that normal Guinness and Beamish have, this one is too much. I understand what Guinness is trying to do here, and I'm not saying I don't appreciate it, I'm just saying it's not my thing. I get molasses and raisins, sweet malts and a slight bit of bitter chocolate or coffee.

The mouthfeel is light and sticky. Drinkability is surprisingly high, I could take down a bunch of these.

This is a decent beer. I'm not the biggest fan in the world, and I'd even go as far as to say that I'd take a normal Guinness over this anyday.

3.59/5  rDev -3.8%

Black as back of a cave. Poured from the 1 pint 6 ox bottle it flashed deep ruby at edge of my glass. Its 3/4" brownish tan head fell quickly leaving some lace and persistant rings on side marking each level as I drank. Faint aroma of roasted malt. taste gets stronger as this stout warms and I detect something metalic. Drinkale and went well with my pot of chilli and hot corn bread.

3.75/5  rDev +0.5%

3.19/5  rDev -14.5%

12 oz bottle poured into a pilsner - fridge - 2008

Appearance: Pours a very dark brown with orange/brown highlights. A tall, 2" head that is cakey and shows great retention. Lots of coating lace remains amongst the craters.

Smell: Biscuits that are buttered make a grand entrance with some dark malts. Bready, malty and a tad bit of hops.

Taste: Buttery, biscuity malt flavorings mingle with a slight mineral flavor. Mild hop bite and a nice overall balance.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, bready flavor, with a buttery smooth finish. A little bit of alcohol.

Drinkability: A great staple for sure. I've loved this beer for awhile, and still am fond of it. I will always come back.

3.53/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.83/5  rDev +2.7%

After my last experience with the draught cans (hello taste where did you go) I was a little less then excited to try the Stout again - although I remember it being a nice brew.

Poured a bottle into a mug and watched the nice dark stout rise to the top with a nice creamy tan head. Nice lace retention.

Smells like a sweet coffee/malt or something along those lines.

Tastes malty and nutty just like the smell almost; like a coffee.

Drinkability is very nice I could drink eight or ten of these tonight and have a good time. This is the Guinness I remember, this is a nice treat. I forgot how good it was. This will be the only Guinness to drink for me from now on.

3.75/5  rDev +0.5%

3.13/5  rDev -16.1%

Appearance: Opaque black with a thin tan head.

Aroma: Like soy sauce. Definitely a lot of malt presence in this one.

Taste: Burnt malts and soy sauce. I've had this one before and it's always been better than this, maybe the bottle wasn't kept in the right conditions. I wouldn't necessarily call this one bitter but some of the malts lend a coffee-like bitterness on the edges of the palate.

Mouthfeel: Nice and lightly carbonated. Goes down smooth and has average drinkability. Light bodied.

Final Thoughts: Not too impressed with this. Would have loved to try it before InBev took over. I think I'll be sticking with regular Guinness Draught whenever I'm in the mood for an Irish Stout.

3.97/5  rDev +6.4%

4.23/5  rDev +13.4%

Guinness Extra Stout: After so many years of drinking Guinness Draught, I finally remembered to try one of these. It was excellent, with substantially more head, carbonation than I remembered. The taste was very well balanced without the dominating malt tastes that are so common in its competitors. From now on I’ll leave the widget cans on the shelf and look for this, although it still can’t beat a well poured Guinness pint.

3.56/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Much better than standard Guinness, but by no means the outstanding candidate of the style

4.5/5  rDev +20.6%

4.14/5  rDev +11%

I love rating a classic. Extra Stout is my favorite Guinness Ltd. product by far and away.

From a 1 pint, 6 ounce bottle.

Pours an extremely dark brown that verges on jet black, with a medium tan head that sifts its way down within a couple of minutes (the bottles for Extra Stout don't come with a nitro-tablet to artificially inject the beer with carbonation). Smells of a very natural, earthy, burnt bitterness that would not be out of place in a scorched forest after a rain. The flavors are simple but tasty: a nice roastiness that (for once) doesn't necessarily evoke coffee or dark chocolate, unless you want to burn them in which case you get the idea. This beer has a simple, almost elemental quality to its features that establish the standard by which I (personally) compare several other beers of its style. It's body is medium-full, unlike the watery stuff that comes from several of the nitro-can/bottles. It pairs extremely well with anything hearty, anything chocolately, or any cheese worth the effort of slicing. The sheer functionality of this beer makes it almost indispensable.

This beer poured a deep black color with a tan head. The head fell faster than the draught normally does. The smell is very sweet and malty. The taste is robust and coffee like. There is a strong bitter aftertaste. The mouthfeel is thick. This is a delicious beer which I enjoy a lot – although I think the draught version is a little smoother in the drinkability category.

3.88/5  rDev +4%

This one pours out into a velvet black and you can see the dark brown hues when held up to the light.It has a slighty sweet smell to it and has a nice clean( not crisp) taste to it that completely envelopes your mouth which is followed by a semi-sweet after taste.

4.47/5  rDev +19.8%

Body is a solid pitchblack, with the tan head the only thing to suggest otherwise. Very controlled small-medium size bubble head, with some waxing over the top. Eventually settles to a 1-2 cm. lid, that rises and falls after each sip. Big lacing.

Smell has a strong vanilla bean component--sweet like a vanilla cream soda.

The taste is big and dry on the baking chocolate--liquid baking chocolate I was thinking. I enjoy baking chocolate, so this becomes a postive aspect..Dry to the point of smoky at the finale, like a campfire in my mouth. Lasting. A nice, subtle level of sweetness.

The right amount of carbonation I felt for this beer; more might of been too much, but less would not have helped either methinks.

3.53/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sometimes you look in the fridge and you just have to take what you can get. And like a microwaveable super pretzel after midnight, this beer is not that bad.

Overall, the thang is a bit muted like my baby mama during Jeopardy, but thats ok - at least its not off putting. Um, it tastes... like not much. Pretty much average down the line.

Goodnight, my babies.

4.19/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

APPEARANCE: Black, a little ruby around the edges up to the light. Nice, creamy, two+ fingers of tan head that settles into a nice ring on top of the beer. Thick lacing down the glass.
AROMA: Sweet roasted malt, vinegar, sourdough dark bread, slight smoke and saltiness, coffee, chocolate, toffee.
TASTE: Not overly sweet...Balanced. Sourdough dark bread. A little mild chocolate and coffee. Very mild, generally.
FEEL: Medium-full carbonation. Medium-ish body. Fairly dry all the way through the sip.
OVERALL: A nice stout. I find the aroma to be a little more satisfying than the flavor. For the abv, I think the feel is good and the carbonation is plentiful, for sure.

2.5/5  rDev -33%

3.72/5  rDev -0.3%

3.54/5  rDev -5.1%

Mmmm. Pours a nice deep black/brown with a really great thicky looking tan/brown head. It smells of coffee and chocolate. It is fairly bitter but splendid. It is sharp with hops yet malty. The mouthfeel is nice and coating. I could drink a few of these, maybe not quite as much as regular guinness though.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original) from Guinness Ltd.
Beer rating: 3.73 out of 5 with 4,299 ratings