Guinness Extra Stout (Original) | Guinness Ltd.

good
Guinness Extra Stout (Original)Guinness Extra Stout (Original)

Guinness Ltd.
Ireland
guinness.com

Style: Irish Dry Stout

Added by SixpointJMH on 11-12-2000

3.7

Reviews: 1,344 | Ratings: 4,088

Me, drinking Guinness from a bottle when the N2 CANs are widely available?!? I just troll around in my local bottle shops' coolers and grab any singles that are available. I really hate to commit to a sixer of anything these days. That said, I am starting to Jones for new CANs ...

From the bottle: "Brewed since 1759 with natural ingredients, today GUINNESS is enjoyed in over 150 countries. Experience the robust, mellow and satisfying flavor for yourself."

My pour created a two finger mound of dense, light-brown head with excellent retention. Color was a deep, dark-brown with cola highlights. Nose had a rich, dark chocolate quality. Mouthfeel was medium with a light charcoal flavor on the tongue. Finish was dry, indeed, just as advertised. This was MUCH different than what I remember from N2 taps, which is how it is commonly served. It was not terribly complex, nor was it boring. This was a good beer!

3.64/5  rDev -1.6%

Pours extremely dark with a light brown head. Flavor carries a bit of a bitter edge. It's smooth though and carries a nice malty body. No real wacky character. Feel has a full carbonation and a standard liquid feel. Decent to drink, but with so much else out there, I am not overly thrilled.

3.53/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I wasn't sure how I'd feel about this beer after having a bad expirience with Guinness Draught at a restaurant. Extra Stout is almost black in color; head is large, tan, and fairly creamy. Aroma is roasted, similar to coffee. A light sweetness is also detected. Taste is also similar to roasted coffee, but this is probably a little too bitter for me to love. There is a light sweetness here, especially in the dry finish, but not enough to make this great in my book. Drinkability is pretty good, but I think polishing off a six pack might be a little much. This is my first Irish Dry Stout, I need a few more to have a better picture of the style.

3.76/5  rDev +1.6%

Pours a deep black with a mountain of brown head with great retention. Nose is faint; roasted and maybe a little caramel. Taste is a caramel sweetness up front and then the roasted malts take over and add a richness and smokiness to the flavor. There's a slight creaminess in the finish. Mouthfeel is full-bodied, moderately carbonated, and very smooth.

Not a bad Irish Dry Stout. It's much better than the original draught.

3.41/5  rDev -7.8%

12 oz. bottle. Product of Canada. Poured into a Guinness Extra Stout pint glass.
It poured a dark brown - almost black - with a tan head.
The smell was thin. Not too bad, but weak. There were hints of burnt coffee - emphasis on burnt - and a tinge of alcohol in the nose.
The first sip had a robust kick of chocolate and coffee. But, starting with the second sip and every one after that, it seemed to grow weaker and more watery. It tastes like burnt dark coffee, a bad of chocolate and a raisin-like fruit essence far in the background. It left a bitter impression with just a touch of sweetness. It was not a complex taste - fairly simple.
Overall it was not bad, but nothing great. The growing market and production seems to have taken a toll on it over the years. It is not as balanced as I remember it being awhile back.
It is easily available, but there ae better craft examples of this style now.

4.32/5  rDev +16.8%

A personal anecdote: long ago, when I first learned to love beer, Bass and Guinness were my bottles of choice. I had a show of my drawings, some cartoony, some darkly satirical, at a coffee shop near my apartment. My older brother was in town, saw the show, and gave me a surprise visit on a Sunday morning, with bottles all over the floor, from the night before. His judgement: "They're too bitter! Like this beer! LIFE isn't BITTER!"
Ah, ha, ha! Now, I'm not a complete cynic, more a realist in the face of truth, but this example proves a prevalent opinion that divides many beer drinkers on the subject of Guinness.
Another anecdote: at my bar, we sell a ton of Extra to our African and Carribean customers, and we used to also serve it on "draught". Once a ponytailed caucasian ordered a Guinness and the bartender asked, "Bottle or tap." After stating his preference, he turned to mate to remark, "What a stupid question!"
Color as black as pitch, big, creamy, rocky tan head. Aroma is filled with sweet and roasty flavor, hints of coffee and spice. More flavors come through on the palate, dark cherries, berries, chocolate. Some bitterness, huge and flavorful malt. Long lasting and tasty finish. Bold and substantial, this classic is best consumed cool, not cold.
Another devotee of "draught" once told me on the subject of stouts, "There's only one!", referring to Guinness. I'm glad that that's not true, but I never turn down Extra Stout.
Now, to get my hands on that African Foreign Extra that I've heard so many fables about!

4.1/5  rDev +10.8%

A - Pitch black with a huge, chunky light brown head. Superb retention, while sticking to the glass tightly.

S - Lots of roasty, dark grains. A big nose of sweet toasted brown bread. Nutty and bitter.

T - A big roasted, and bitter profile. Roasted, dry malts and chewy dry grains. Fairly nutty and some yeast flavors bouncing about. A nice dry black coffee bite.

M - Chewy bodied beer with a bold mouth on it. Dry throughout with plenty of character.

O - A classic and a high standard for stouts.

3.67/5  rDev -0.8%

St. James' gate...second best to St. Pete's gate....In my opinion. Anyone who turns there nose up to a fine healthing serving of Guinness needs to help to understand the finer things of life. Guinness helped to solid the history of the IRISH! Yeah Baby! The color...do I really need to go over this...for a wonderful traditional beer! C'mon...I aint doing it. You want to know more....man up and enjoy!

3.95/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass. Beer is dark, as expected, tight brown head with small to medium bubbles, leaves lacing on the glass. Carbonation cannot be determined from color of beer.

Malty and roasty in the nose, no hop character to speak of. Roast is secondary to the malty sweetness. Smells good.

Flavor is not sweet as I expected from the smell, roast is most present and dominates the back of the mouth. Beer is thin in the front and finishes nicely. A slight aftertaste but not serious. Drinkability high, mouthfeel is a little thin.

2.52/5  rDev -31.9%

08/11/06- Purchased at Osco in Billings, MT.

Presentation- 12oz bottle, small stamp on the back of the label which may denote freshness. Poured into a imperial pint glass.

Appearance- Chocolate black with a wee bit of lucidity. Huge large bubbled light brown head. Takes 5 minutes to pour the whole bottle into an imperial pint glass. Head forms into a creamy root beer float looking entity. Looks delicious.

Smell- Super super roasted and charred malt nose. Not much else can get past that scent wise.

Taste- I've had this one a few times before and never liked it. I tried it again to see if my taste or pallete had changed in the last few years. Nope! This is one damn bitter brew. Almost to the point of sourness. Huge burnt charcoal backlash. Incredibly harsh. Just think of drinking the scraping of you BBQ in a liquid form.

Mouthfeel- Lighter and creamy mouthfeel with a sour lasting aftertaste. Mid level carbonation.

Drinkability- Just not my cup of tea for a brew. Don't plan on trying it ever again. I've learned my lesson.

Pours a dark, cloudy brown with 1/4 inch off-white head. Good lacing with decent retention. Smells of sweet malts and hops. Fits the style of an easy drinking malt/hop blended stout. Tastes the bitterness of the hops along with some roasted malts. Good blend of flavors. Aftertaste is strongly the roasted malts. Crisp, not so smooth, but low carbonation doesn't interfere. Overall, not bad at all and easily much better than regular Guinness.

3.58/5  rDev -3.2%

My friends occaisonally buy this, mistaking it for normal Guinness. Thank god for dumb luck. The contempt I hold for Guinness Draught might sour me on the brewery, if they didn't make real beer like this one. A rich black color, roasted and burnt aroma, with strong coffee and espresso over chocolate flavor. I can't quite tell the difference between this and an English stout, but either way its good beer.

3.5/5  rDev -5.4%

Ok, so I'm sooo used to the draught version...

Pours a very dark ruby, black. A semi off-white head, stays for a while. More than just a lacing, more than a film all the way down.

Not a huge aroma, not as coffee-ish as the draught. More caramel-y. Roasted malt, coffee and smoke.
A bite in the mouth. Not as smooth as the former. Sweet caramel...kinda Jolly Rancher-ish. Coffee, dark chocolate. A good dry bite. I think served too cold, should let the next one warm up

A good dry stout.

3.75/5  rDev +1.4%

The beer pours a pitch black color with a thick frothy tan head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a stiff, black malt bitterness along with a bone dry finish. It doesn't seem too complex; basically black patent and chocolate malts. The taste is decent. It has a dry black malt flavor; bitter and earthy. There is little depth besides maybe a bit of chocolate malt sweetness. The mouthfeel is decent as well. It is a full bodied beer with good carbonation. This is a solid Irish stout. It's basic, yet smooth and easy drinking.

4.29/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4

Months ago, I use to think Guinness Light (my nickname for the weaker Draught) was the good stuff. Not anymore though, as I'd much rather have a pint of this Extra Stout over the Light. So far, I've been unsuccessful at finding a pub that carries this stuff on tap. Not to worry, the Extra Stout satisfies well from the bottle, unlike it's lighter brother. It's not that I hate Guinness Light, but when the Extra Stout is available, there's no challenge to which one I'd prefer. Enough talk already, and on to the beer:

The first thing you should do is warm up the bottle after pulling it from the fridge. Then, find a pint glass and pour it in. After that, you're all set to enjoy this wonderful brew.

It's pitch black with an excellent head, which makes you wonder why beer needs to be nitro-infused. The smell reminds me of unsweetened chocolate chunks, burned bread, and premium dark roasted coffee. After having large amounts of the Light, this stuff will have you growing hair on your chest. Very strong stuff (hence the Extra Stout) with dark coffee characteristcs: a tad sweet, bitter, and strong. Thick and rich down the hatch.

If I haven't enforced it enough, this is some really strong stuff. The bitterness might be overwhelming for some. With my changed taste, the Extra Stout to me now tastes like the first time I had Guinness Light (in case you forgot, that's my nickname towards the Draught). Those who think the Light is too strong should definately stay away from this. Otherwise, indulge!

3.16/5  rDev -14.6%

The beer pours a dark brown to black color with a small tan head. The aroma is a mix of bitter, lightly roasted malt and a little bit of chocolate. The flavor is chocolate and chalky roasted malts with a little bit of bitterness. The beer is very dry and would be pretty easy to drink if it tasted better. Thin to medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

3.5/5  rDev -5.4%

This is the first time for a Guinness for me. Poured a dark brown/black with a one-finger head which took a little while to disipate, with slight lacing. Has a sweet smell. I have to get use to the taste, but not really that bad. The Extra Stout has a medium body to it. The after taste is not that bad, but I guess I have to get use to it. As of right now, the drinkability is not to high.

3.53/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 22 oz. bottle. Has a black color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is very good, sweet, malts, some hints of chocolate. Taste is of roasted malts and maybe a slight note of coffee, finishing bitter. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and has average drinkability. Overall this makes for a decent brew.

2.96/5  rDev -20%

A black color, pours with a thick creamy brown head that is quite persistent, the head gets quite rocky over time as well. There is a slightly roasted aroma with a bit of sweet grain character. It has a lightly bitter astringent finish. Fairly thin in its consistency. Some roast character is here and it has a bit of a sour twang to it in the finish. Overall this beer is quite disappointing, and much worse than I remember. It is missing the character that I was expecting it to have. Not too bad, but certainly not great either.

4.03/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured a deep black hue with a three finger pillowy tan head. There was very good retention and excellent sticky lacing.

The smell consisted of light roasted malt, with hints of coffee caramel and cocoa. Earthier than I expected.

The taste consisted of strong roasted grain elements, with a good showing of coffee and caramel. There was a mild sweetness detected as well. A good hop bitterness appears at the end. A nicely balanced flavor. Good toasted biscuity aftertaste.

The mouthfeel was lightly chewy and well carbonated. Finished dry.

A very drinkable stout. Very good flavor and a manageable ABV. In my opinion, this beer stands well on its own and as a session beer.

3.58/5  rDev -3.2%

24 oz. bottle, can't believe I haven't reviewed this yet,

A: Pours red/black with a solid finger of light tan head, some lace, good head retention.

S: Coffee, roasted malt, charcoal.

T: Heavy roasted black malt bitterness with a light sour fruit/cherry character. Hop flavour is very mild. The bitterness can be too much at times, not always balanced, but a good overall flavour.

M: Relatively smooth, medium-bodied, nowhere near as creamy as the Draught.

D: A classic and the first beer I ever bought legally when I turned 21. Not the best stout, but nowhere near the worst, the fact that it is quite inexpensive means that I'll probably pick it up again. A nice simple pint.

4.2/5  rDev +13.5%

How do you review a beer that is basically THE example of its beer class? Pretty much like any other beer I guess.

Exceptionally dark clear brown colored beer that is the last stop head to blackness. Good light brown colored head that does eventually fall.

The smell is sweet rich and far maltier that I remember it in the past when I used this stuff as an extinguisher for hot peppers in Albuquerque. Lots of biscuit malt and a good helping of toffee and coffee aroma. Unexpected fruity aroma from the yeast used I should have expected it considering where it comes from. I identify the fruit as mostly fig. Lots more chocolate aroma than I remember from the past, a pleasant surprise.

The taste starts out dry with a fair amount of molasses and a stout roasted malt flavor with a sharp bitterness in the aftertaste. Flavor becomes more bitter as you drink it but the molasses only gets stronger and the hop flavor appears. A flowery perfume like hops flavor that I never tasted in this beer before. It is something of a shock and a realization that my ability to taste beer has advanced several light years from when I last tried this beer.

The mouthfeel is full without need to resort to any nitrogen system.

Much better than I remember it to be. Stiff and bitter but with much more to offer flavor wise than just char and bitterness. I have had a long history with this beer and only recently realized I had never bothered to review it. Mainly we used this in New Mexico and Texas because the bitterness could cut through the pain and heat of very hot foods, but there is an actual good beer here too.

Re-reviewed on 1/15/2011. The last time I reviewed this I am pretty sure I had an infected bottle as it was pretty sour and unpleasant.

Poured from 22oz bottle into a mug.

Appearance: very dark brown, bordering on black, with a thick finger of foamy tan head. Quite a solid stout.

Smell: roasted malt with nutty and caramelly qualities; quite like a rich nut brown ale. Hops are basically undetectable on the nose.

Taste: sweetish malt flavor with a bit of caramel and nuttiness. Roast is not present until the very end, when a nice, acrid (in a good way) roast dries out the finish. Bitterness relatively low but well-balanced.

Mouthfeel: medium to medium-light body with a fairly solid carbonation level. The feel is a little more fizzy than creamy but I think it works pretty well.

Drinkability: a very smooth and drinkable brew. It's not as stouty as most American stouts, but it's really hitting the spot for me right now.

3.38/5  rDev -8.6%

This beer always looks good in the glass.Maybe it doesn't have the cascading effect of the draught, but still it has a nice dark color, almost black with brown highlights. Offwhite head that fades to aring and leaves no real lacing. The smell is slightly roasty and slightly malty, with a touch of roasty sourness there as well. The taste is a classic- not the best in the world, not the worst. The bottled version isn't as creamy, but iis stronger, and in my opinion has more character. Flavors of roasted malt, some bitter hops in the end, and a little bit of salty caramel underlying it all. The mouthfeel is a little light, and not particularly creamy, but refreshing. Definitely has its place.

4.15/5  rDev +12.2%

This one comes in a 33 cl brown long-necked bottle. The label is beige/light yellow and got a picture of a harp in golden.

A: The pour is black, with an enormous beige thick head that takes some time to sink into great lacings.

S: Dry roasted malt, with both vanilla and chocolate. But the dominate smell is coffee.

T: Dry roasted malt, strong black coffee and dark bitter chocolate.

M: Long dry and bitter aftertaste. Body is medium and carbonation is mild.

D: A really nice beer. A stout that goes down very smoothly. A bit more complex than the draught one.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original) from Guinness Ltd.