Guinness Extra Stout (Original) | Guinness Ltd.

good
Guinness Extra Stout (Original)Guinness Extra Stout (Original)

Guinness Ltd.
Ireland
guinness.com

Style: Irish Dry Stout

Added by SixpointJMH on 11-12-2000

Ratings: 4,189 |  Reviews: 1,379

3.91/5  rDev +5.4%

Comparisons to the other versions of Guinness are inevitable so I won't try to avoid them. With a rousing pour the Extra Stout can look almost like the Guinness Draught poured under nitrogen dispense. Black in color with hard to find ruby highlights and a very thick, creamy, rocky, tan head. The aroma is sharp and roasty. It's not as full as the Foreign Extra, but offers much more than the Draught. The body is medium-light and the carbonation is gentle, giving a very smooth mouthfeel. The flavor is roasty, and more chocolatey than the Draught. The sour note appears much softer as well (although this is probably because this bottle was contract brewed in Canada). It has a solid bitterness and a touch of a roasted malt bite. It finishes with a long, dry, bitterness. I prefer this version to the others. The Draught is too limited in character for my tastes; and the Foreign Extra is too full and rich for most occassions. Very nice.

3.83/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep black color, with a large light brown head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is a little creamy and contains roasted malts, some chocolate & vanilla and a touch of hops.

T: The taste is malty but not as much as you would think with flavors of dark chocolate, vanilla, scotch and bourbon. There's a decent hops presence for the style and much better balance that I had expected. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and smooth, medium-to-heavy body, medium carbonation, finish is dry and slightly sticky.

D: Flavorful and tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, decent kick, decent representation of style, if I didn't know better I would think this beer was a Scotch Wee Heavy, but I definitely like it a lot more than the regular Guinness, it's nice heavier that's worth drinking for a while.

3.54/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.68/5  rDev -0.8%

A: Pours a clear but opaque jet black in color with moderate amounts of active visible carbonation along the edges of the glass and cola brown highlights. The beer has a finger tall dense foamy light tan head that slowly reduces to a large thin patch covering the majority of the surface of the beer and a medium thick ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate to significant amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light to moderate aromas of roasted malts with the slightest hint of coffee beans.

T: Upfront there is a light flavor of roasted malts with some notes of freshly ground coffee. There is a light amount of bitterness in the finish which does not linger for long.

M: Light to medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Smooth and creamy with a light amount of dryness towards the finish.

O: Even though it is probably no longer in vogue, I still enjoy a Guinness from time to time - reminds of my early days into drinking beer beyond BMC in the early to mid 1990s. Sessionable, easy to drink, and still enjoyable.

First had: nitro-bottle from Joe Canal's, Bellmawr, NJ

Guinness gets better here.

Typical Guinness pour: opaque black cascades into your glass, light tan finger of head that recedes a bit more than you'd expect, and leaves good lacing, but probably not quite as much as the regular Draught. Smooth, heavily roasted malt aroma with some coffee and dark chocolate. Same in the taste: roasty, roasty malts, dark chocolate and cocoa bitterness, coffee, and little to no hops, though perhaps just a touch of a floral aspect. Super smooth and tasty; heavy-medium mouthfeel and nicely drinkable.

3.75/5  rDev +1.1%

3.76/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

The color was difficult to assess properly since I had this bottle in a dimly lit bar, but I'll say dark brown with medium brown highlights. The ecru colored head was large and persisted for a good bit. It was also sticky, impressively rocky and left three fat rings of lace down the sides of the pint glass.

There wasn't much going on in the nose. It was mostly roasted malt with some black coffee on the side. The flavor consisted of bitter black coffee and black tea; not much chocolate that I could detect. Coffee notes became even more bold in the second half of the pint.

The finish was pretty intensely dry and was coupled with an almost astringent bitterness. They aren't kidding when they call this an Irish dry stout. The mouthfeel was creamy and smooth and was full without being heavy.

Guinness Extra Stout and Bass Ale were my favorites in my pre-BA days. I haven't had this one in at least a year though, and a lot of good beer has crossed my palate in that time. It actually holds up pretty well. This is a quality stout that I'll continue to go back to again and again.

3.54/5  rDev -4.6%

I'll try to not hold it against the fact this is Canadian, we gonna start seeing Molsons from Dublins soon??

Pours mahogany to black with a 3 fingers plus tanhead milkshake like head. Great lacing and good head retention

Smell: Toasted malt & that's it

Taste: Toasted malt, slight fruittiness and iron taste. Some licorice and chocolate notes

MF: Slightly creamy with oily notes. Good carbonation

Pretty drinkable but too heavy to make a session choice. Not bad, but I'm guessing this wouldn't sell near as much here if folks knew it was coming from the emerald isle, caveat emptor. Preferable to the original druaght, but I'd just as soon have an obsidian stout...

3.58/5  rDev -3.5%

Review from notes:

A: Pours a deep black color with a 1.5 finger light brown/tan head on top. Moderate retention and spotty, but foamy lacing.

S: Smells a bit like cream with a bit of sweetness to it. Hints of chocolate and coffee, as well as a touch of vanilla and roasted malt.

T: More dark roasted malt on the flavor than the aroma. Some bitter chocolate, dark fruit, and a hint of coffee. There is some hop bitterness on the finish.

M: Slightly heavier than medium bodied, but overly heavy. Nice level of carbonation that gives it a slight creamy texture. Dry finish.

O: A good beer, preferred over draught due to it being slightly heavier and better tasting imo.

3.16/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz brown bottle with no freshness date, product of Canada.

Appearance: Big chunks of tan foam stick to the glass, lace thins out a bit but the retention is great. The pitch black colour lets no light through.

Smell: Light roasted barley with hints of charcoal and coffee, light sweetness in the nose as well.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Medium crispness with a slick bitty mouth feel, burnt flavours seem a bit crass. Luckily a touch of sweetness pushes it aside for a brief moment. Hops are there with a processed bitterness and then more astrigent burnt grain comes in. Finishes dry.

Drinkability & Notes: This is not the Guinness Extra Stout I grew up with, being that it is not the real stuff from Canada in the US it does not surprise me but still it is disappointing.

3.25/5  rDev -12.4%

3.53/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I wasn't sure how I'd feel about this beer after having a bad expirience with Guinness Draught at a restaurant. Extra Stout is almost black in color; head is large, tan, and fairly creamy. Aroma is roasted, similar to coffee. A light sweetness is also detected. Taste is also similar to roasted coffee, but this is probably a little too bitter for me to love. There is a light sweetness here, especially in the dry finish, but not enough to make this great in my book. Drinkability is pretty good, but I think polishing off a six pack might be a little much. This is my first Irish Dry Stout, I need a few more to have a better picture of the style.

Me, drinking Guinness from a bottle when the N2 CANs are widely available?!? I just troll around in my local bottle shops' coolers and grab any singles that are available. I really hate to commit to a sixer of anything these days. That said, I am starting to Jones for new CANs ...

From the bottle: "Brewed since 1759 with natural ingredients, today GUINNESS is enjoyed in over 150 countries. Experience the robust, mellow and satisfying flavor for yourself."; "Guinness has been brewing sought-after beers since 1759. The unmistakable deep, dark color. The rich, rewarding flavor. The crisp, refreshing bite. A living legend. Pure Beauty. Pure Guinness."

My pour created a two finger mound of dense, light-brown head with excellent retention. Color was a deep, dark-brown with cola highlights. Nose had a rich, dark chocolate quality. Mouthfeel was medium with a light charcoal flavor on the tongue. Finish was dry, indeed, just as advertised. This was MUCH different than what I remember from N2 taps, which is how it is commonly served. It was not terribly complex, nor was it boring. This was a good beer!

4.12/5  rDev +11.1%

Served in a Dogfish Head shaped pint glass.

I remember back in the day when I first tried this beer. I thought it was the thickest, chewiest beast of a beer I'd ever seen. We'll see how time and experience have treated this memory. The erstwhile beast pours a deep onyx topped by a bit more than a finger of dirty light tan foam. Man, I miss the usual Guinness cascade, but this is still pretty in its own right. The nose comprises roasted malts, rich chocolate syrup, light molasses, and a dusting of coffee. The taste holds notes of roasted malts, light cocoa powder, very light coffee, and a strong twinge of a semi-sour, semi-bitter (more toward the former, though) character. The latter lingers on a bit through the finish. The body is a solid medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a slightly chewy feel. Overall, though not as beastly as I remember, this thing can still hold its own against any other Irish stout put up against it. Good times.

3.88/5  rDev +4.6%

3.71/5  rDev 0%

Oh I can still remember the first time I tried Guinness, and I can still remember the time when I couldn't believe that this dark black almost opaque creation was a beer. This is one beer that took some getting adjusted to for my taste buds, at that point in my road to beerdom sipping on new beers was common ground, and I found appreciation for them all, however the first time I tried Guinness I recall saying I was never going to try it again. Now I would like to point out a crucial fork in the road of my life that if the next time I came across this beer I would have to make the decision to give it another shot or pass it up for good. However, I chose the right road, and that same thinking has made my beer drinking much more exciting and meaningful to me and my friends and family. So, I thank Guinness for being something completely different for most American swill drinkers and thanks to my brother Dante' for nudging my interest in giving this beer another shot. Pours a deep dark practically black ruby brown tone with a massive milk chocolate tan fluffy mountainous head with great retention and very nice scattered evenly fine lacing. Aroma some hop bitterness meshed within mild chocolate tones, freshly ground coffe, and slightly harsh dark roasted barley to form a classic aroma of a dry Irish stout. A sharp upfront slightly acidic tone with some hops adding bitterness and finishing with creamy chocolate tones leaving a dry pleasant but at the same time a palate battering coffee note. Unlike anyother beer style in the world something can be this drinkable with a fuller mouthfeel and so many flavors that don't belong in beer, well I am glad I opened my horizons to beer because this is definitely a satisfying treat that I will always be able to come back to. Drinkability well this beer is quite filling however it is made to chill with a few in a session to truly experience I would live to visit Ireland someday namingly St. James Gate in Dublin.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original) from Guinness Ltd.