Guinness Extra Stout (Original) | Guinness Ltd.

good
Guinness Extra Stout (Original)Guinness Extra Stout (Original)

Guinness Ltd.
Ireland
guinness.com

Style: Irish Dry Stout

Added by SixpointJMH on 11-12-2000

Ratings: 4,217 |  Reviews: 1,383
3.67/5  rDev -1.1%

St. James' gate...second best to St. Pete's gate....In my opinion. Anyone who turns there nose up to a fine healthing serving of Guinness needs to help to understand the finer things of life. Guinness helped to solid the history of the IRISH! Yeah Baby! The color...do I really need to go over this...for a wonderful traditional beer! C'mon...I aint doing it. You want to know more....man up and enjoy!

4.1/5  rDev +10.5%

A - Pitch black with a huge, chunky light brown head. Superb retention, while sticking to the glass tightly.

S - Lots of roasty, dark grains. A big nose of sweet toasted brown bread. Nutty and bitter.

T - A big roasted, and bitter profile. Roasted, dry malts and chewy dry grains. Fairly nutty and some yeast flavors bouncing about. A nice dry black coffee bite.

M - Chewy bodied beer with a bold mouth on it. Dry throughout with plenty of character.

O - A classic and a high standard for stouts.

3.71/5  rDev 0%

Oh I can still remember the first time I tried Guinness, and I can still remember the time when I couldn't believe that this dark black almost opaque creation was a beer. This is one beer that took some getting adjusted to for my taste buds, at that point in my road to beerdom sipping on new beers was common ground, and I found appreciation for them all, however the first time I tried Guinness I recall saying I was never going to try it again. Now I would like to point out a crucial fork in the road of my life that if the next time I came across this beer I would have to make the decision to give it another shot or pass it up for good. However, I chose the right road, and that same thinking has made my beer drinking much more exciting and meaningful to me and my friends and family. So, I thank Guinness for being something completely different for most American swill drinkers and thanks to my brother Dante' for nudging my interest in giving this beer another shot. Pours a deep dark practically black ruby brown tone with a massive milk chocolate tan fluffy mountainous head with great retention and very nice scattered evenly fine lacing. Aroma some hop bitterness meshed within mild chocolate tones, freshly ground coffe, and slightly harsh dark roasted barley to form a classic aroma of a dry Irish stout. A sharp upfront slightly acidic tone with some hops adding bitterness and finishing with creamy chocolate tones leaving a dry pleasant but at the same time a palate battering coffee note. Unlike anyother beer style in the world something can be this drinkable with a fuller mouthfeel and so many flavors that don't belong in beer, well I am glad I opened my horizons to beer because this is definitely a satisfying treat that I will always be able to come back to. Drinkability well this beer is quite filling however it is made to chill with a few in a session to truly experience I would live to visit Ireland someday namingly St. James Gate in Dublin.

3.76/5  rDev +1.3%

Pours a deep black with a mountain of brown head with great retention. Nose is faint; roasted and maybe a little caramel. Taste is a caramel sweetness up front and then the roasted malts take over and add a richness and smokiness to the flavor. There's a slight creaminess in the finish. Mouthfeel is full-bodied, moderately carbonated, and very smooth.

Not a bad Irish Dry Stout. It's much better than the original draught.

4.24/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.75/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.64/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours extremely dark with a light brown head. Flavor carries a bit of a bitter edge. It's smooth though and carries a nice malty body. No real wacky character. Feel has a full carbonation and a standard liquid feel. Decent to drink, but with so much else out there, I am not overly thrilled.

3.41/5  rDev -8.1%

12 oz. bottle. Product of Canada. Poured into a Guinness Extra Stout pint glass.
It poured a dark brown - almost black - with a tan head.
The smell was thin. Not too bad, but weak. There were hints of burnt coffee - emphasis on burnt - and a tinge of alcohol in the nose.
The first sip had a robust kick of chocolate and coffee. But, starting with the second sip and every one after that, it seemed to grow weaker and more watery. It tastes like burnt dark coffee, a bad of chocolate and a raisin-like fruit essence far in the background. It left a bitter impression with just a touch of sweetness. It was not a complex taste - fairly simple.
Overall it was not bad, but nothing great. The growing market and production seems to have taken a toll on it over the years. It is not as balanced as I remember it being awhile back.
It is easily available, but there ae better craft examples of this style now.

2.75/5  rDev -25.9%

3.25/5  rDev -12.4%

3.75/5  rDev +1.1%

Pours a dark, cloudy brown with 1/4 inch off-white head. Good lacing with decent retention. Smells of sweet malts and hops. Fits the style of an easy drinking malt/hop blended stout. Tastes the bitterness of the hops along with some roasted malts. Good blend of flavors. Aftertaste is strongly the roasted malts. Crisp, not so smooth, but low carbonation doesn't interfere. Overall, not bad at all and easily much better than regular Guinness.

4.32/5  rDev +16.4%

A personal anecdote: long ago, when I first learned to love beer, Bass and Guinness were my bottles of choice. I had a show of my drawings, some cartoony, some darkly satirical, at a coffee shop near my apartment. My older brother was in town, saw the show, and gave me a surprise visit on a Sunday morning, with bottles all over the floor, from the night before. His judgement: "They're too bitter! Like this beer! LIFE isn't BITTER!"
Ah, ha, ha! Now, I'm not a complete cynic, more a realist in the face of truth, but this example proves a prevalent opinion that divides many beer drinkers on the subject of Guinness.
Another anecdote: at my bar, we sell a ton of Extra to our African and Carribean customers, and we used to also serve it on "draught". Once a ponytailed caucasian ordered a Guinness and the bartender asked, "Bottle or tap." After stating his preference, he turned to mate to remark, "What a stupid question!"
Color as black as pitch, big, creamy, rocky tan head. Aroma is filled with sweet and roasty flavor, hints of coffee and spice. More flavors come through on the palate, dark cherries, berries, chocolate. Some bitterness, huge and flavorful malt. Long lasting and tasty finish. Bold and substantial, this classic is best consumed cool, not cold.
Another devotee of "draught" once told me on the subject of stouts, "There's only one!", referring to Guinness. I'm glad that that's not true, but I never turn down Extra Stout.
Now, to get my hands on that African Foreign Extra that I've heard so many fables about!

2.52/5  rDev -32.1%

08/11/06- Purchased at Osco in Billings, MT.

Presentation- 12oz bottle, small stamp on the back of the label which may denote freshness. Poured into a imperial pint glass.

Appearance- Chocolate black with a wee bit of lucidity. Huge large bubbled light brown head. Takes 5 minutes to pour the whole bottle into an imperial pint glass. Head forms into a creamy root beer float looking entity. Looks delicious.

Smell- Super super roasted and charred malt nose. Not much else can get past that scent wise.

Taste- I've had this one a few times before and never liked it. I tried it again to see if my taste or pallete had changed in the last few years. Nope! This is one damn bitter brew. Almost to the point of sourness. Huge burnt charcoal backlash. Incredibly harsh. Just think of drinking the scraping of you BBQ in a liquid form.

Mouthfeel- Lighter and creamy mouthfeel with a sour lasting aftertaste. Mid level carbonation.

Drinkability- Just not my cup of tea for a brew. Don't plan on trying it ever again. I've learned my lesson.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original) from Guinness Ltd.