Guinness Foreign Extra Stout | Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Foreign Extra StoutGuinness Foreign Extra Stout

Guinness Ltd.
Ireland | website

Style: Foreign / Export Stout

Foreign Extra Stout is brewed with generous hops and roasted barley for a bittersweet balance and full-flavored, natural bite. Developed for global export from Ireland, the addition of extra hops ensured this Stout would arrive in perfect condition. Today it is enjoyed by millions around the world.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-30-2001

Reviews: 842 | Ratings: 2,250
3.03/5  rDev -25.4%

A: Pours black with a finger tall tan head. Good head retention and moderate lacing.

S: Aromas of dark roasted malts and hints of coffee bitterness.

T: Dark malts, roasted malts, coffee bitterness, and a hint of toffee. Good balance.

M: Medium bodied with moderate to high amounts of carbonation. Dry finish.

O: Nice balance of malt sweetness and coffee bitterness. Easy to drink and quite sessionable.

3.03/5  rDev -25.4%

I have tried this a couple of times and really want to like it and it s not bad but not great either.

The feel of the beer is very dry - too dry for me but others may like it.

So how is it different to a regular Guiness: Well the Chocolate malt and hops character ius certainly a lot more pronounced and the beer has an above average taste but in all it just fails to impress me.

3.03/5  rDev -25.4%

Poured with a very satisfying presentation-
Dark bible black color, frothy head that laced the glass.

The nose was diminutive- with a hint of hops some malt and perhaps a tinge of coffee.

Flavor was rather thing- I can't explain the hoopla over this beer.
Like it cousin the extra stout this is rather a thin light bodied stout. I'm told that "something happens" to Guinness when it's bottled and sent over "the pond"-- but I've never consider Guinness Extra Stout to be a standard of the brewing art.
And the same goes with the "Foreign"..

It hits me with a waft of bitter hops. But it's curious-- the hops flavor is rather one dimensional-- it's bitter but that's about all I can discern. Soon after realizing I've been assailed by hops bitterness the flavor dissipates and flees the flavor stage leaving a rather thin layer of toasted malt and a hit of coffee behind.

The mouthefeel is cordial-- but nothing that evolks nostalgia pangs in my memory..

Overall this beer is a satisfying brew, but given the option of numerous other Stouts-- I'd pass this particular brew by..

Over all I that it was ho-hum..

3.04/5  rDev -25.1%

A-Pours black with a rocky two finger mocha colored head that has very good retention and leaves copious amounts of lace. Looks darn near perfect.

S-Roasted malt, bitter bakers chocolate, a touch of coffee, a slightly sour note as well.

T-Roasted malt, the bitter chocolate comes through here too, a slightly astringent and sour flavor as well, burnt toast and a hint of espresso.

M-Medium body, relatively low carbonation, seems slightly slick on initial swallow but then the back end finishes dry.

D-The chalky and astringent qualities make this a tough one for me to drink.

I had to try this but won't be buying it again. I'm sure many BA's will love it, but its just not for me.

3.06/5  rDev -24.6%

Carib it would appear turn their hand to anything and everything. This product is one of their best.

275ml bottle (like all their other beers), best before May 2009, drank June 2008.

Poured into a half-pint tumbler on the hotel balcony. Looked just like a normal Guinness, dark and with a good deep tan head.

The aroma, taste and mouthfeel all seemed overly burnt. Dry and bitter with some caramel trying to be heard in the mix.

Rich, but not creamy, burnt malts ruled the brew and for some could have ruined it too.

3.06/5  rDev -24.6%

this was a godsend when i was in st. lucia and limited to piton and heineken. i like this version much better than the smaller stuff we get stateside. bigger bodied, bigger taste, bigger mouthfeel. nice roasty finish to provide balance to the dark, sweet, complex malt character. a bit of grainy astringency. why they use fish bladder crap to clarify such a dark beer is my question.

3.06/5  rDev -24.6%

A: Pours a black-like deep ruby with a nice three-finger fluffy tan head that leaves an impressive amount of lace.

S: Roast barley and lactic acid. The lactic twang is more pronounced here than in the "draught" Guinness, either from the can, bottle, or truly on draft.

T: A nice dry Irish stout with an incredible amount of lactic sourness. The sourness actually manages to knock out the cocoa and coffee flavors you normally get with a good Irish stout.

M: A bit fuller than standard Guinness, but still relatively light. Even at 7.5%, no noticeable warmth.

D: I wouldn't refuse one, but I wouldn't go out of my way for one. At a premium price for a four pack of 11.2 oz bottles, I feel my money's going towards advertising. There are many better local dry stouts that are far better.

3.08/5  rDev -24.1%

11.2oz. bottle served in my SA Perfect Pint. Pours the color and clarity of cola with a sudsy, quarter inch tan-colored head embedded with ringlets around the edges. Head eventually settles into a solid skim with some clusters of bubbles around the edges. Some spots and strands of lacing adhered to the sides of the glass during the tasting. Nose reveals a trace of roast and sour lactic acid. Taste expresses char up front, more sour watery lactic acid, a slightly metallic quality and a bitter acrid aftertaste. Mouthfeel is light-medium in consistency, with a lively, slightly prickly carbonation and a subtle creaminess. Well, I have to say that I was a bit disappointed by this bear. I'm a bit more used to some sweetness and a suggestion of fruit in my Foreign/Export Stouts - this was bitter, burnt and acrid. Not something I need to experience again any time soon.

3.11/5  rDev -23.4%

Acquired this from TheManiacalOne so a big THANK YOU goes out to him.
Poured in to a pint glass.

A: This beer pours an opaque deep chocolate brown, boardering on black. A two finger of creamy light brown head sits on top. Head recedes nicely to a film that retains throughout. Coated lacing remains on the glass.

S: Nose is sweet caramel and vanilla, some dark fruits - raisin and dates, and a bit of bitter chocolate.

T: Taste starts with sweet caramel, and vanilla flavoring. Middle is nothing but raisin, date, and a bit of fig notes. Finish has roastiness, bitter chocolate and a citrus hop.

M: Lighter side of medium body, moderate carbonation, somewhat thin and prickly on the tongue with a dry finish.

O: Goes down easily, somewhat tasty, not too filling, decent kick, ok representation of style. Overall, this was an average beer for me, one that I wouldn't seek out again.

3.12/5  rDev -23.2%

Aroma - Surprisingly little aroma. Some light mineral notes but not a lot of nose

Appearance Perfect black with a brown large head that didn't dissipate

Taste - Sharp hop and bitter notes. This had a real surprising punch. Not very smooth at all.

Notes - An interesting stout but nothing special in compariosn to what else is available now. I'll admit this is a poor review I usually do that when I'm indifferent to a beer.

3.13/5  rDev -22.9%

As expected, my bottle of mud pours deep and black, with a thin chocolate head that held steady throughout the serving. Without the nitrogen pour, the bubbles were a little bigger, of course, but the lacing was still generous. A little fuller in body, the hoppy bite was noticeable, relative to the standard U.S. Draught version. There's a little alcohol heat and a nice lingering sweetness, balanced by the hoppy bitterness.

While I like this better than the typical draft, Guinness is still a far cry from any number of the HUGE assortments of stouts and porters readily available in nearly any local brewpub or brewery. All in all, while this is a very serviceable quaff, I'd prefer to drink local and fresh.

3.16/5  rDev -22.2%

Black with a tan head that is initially thumbs sized & bubbly before settling to half of that size. The retention is about average.

Gives off similar aroma to Guinness Draught but with a stronger smell of coffee and the roasted malts. It isn't as pleasant a smell as the Draught variety it must be said, with the overpowering coffee smell not being to my liking.

A mixture of warm coffee and roasted malts & barley upfront with a long, lingering coffee aftertaste. Again similar to standard Guinness Draught but a lot stronger. You can also detect a taste of alcohol in the background.

Smooth and quite warm on the palate with little evidence of carbonation.

Quite a nice flavoursome beer but one that is far to strong for my liking, especially with the coffee, roasted barley & roasted malts.

1001 Beers to Try Before You Die:

3.18/5  rDev -21.7%

Served in a tulip

After having this stout twice, I can say that it is not finding its way into my cellar again. Out of the two styles of Guinness I have had, I shall stick to the draught. The molasses is overpowering, and that was the only flavor I could find in the heavy mouthfeel. Naturally, when someone tries a beer twice one hopes to be more impressed. Overall, I would not endorse this beer to someone who is looking for complexity.

3.19/5  rDev -21.4%

Poured into my Surly pint glass. A deep dark black color, not many highlight other that the very small one I found at the bottom edge of the glass. It was a dark brown color. I can't see the carbonation bubbles but I know they are there because the head is a huge four fingers and a dark mocha color that is very velvety an luscious. The lace is beautiful and sticks in rings all the way to the end.

Smell is European yeast and soggy bread. There are some dark roasted coffee aromas that I can pull out but it is hard to get anything over the dank musty initial smell.

Taste so odd. There are some great dark roasted flavors that get interrupted by this terrible hop bitter. Let it be said that I don't mind some hop flavors in my Stout, but the choice of hop is not my top pick. I understand this is made in Dublin also. I'll stick to America, specifically West Coast.

The mouth is quite unlike the appearance. It does have the bubblyness but feels flat. A bit watery too.

Overall, I must say that I am an American and enjoy beer brewed on this side of the pond. I understand that Guinness is a well respected brand all over the world, I just don't care for this. I know there are a few variations and I will rate them individually as I try them. Thanks to my local purveyor for the sample.

3.2/5  rDev -21.2%

I picked this up at a gas station in Negril, Jamaica. Light aroma, sweet cocoa, almost tangy. Dark tan head faded fast to a film. Opaque black colored beer. Burnt malt flavor, a bit of cocoa, and a strange cigarette butt flavor towards the end. Moderately dry and bitter finish. Moderately light body. I don't like the flavor towards the end, the harsh bitter ashy flavor is unappealing. Give me a Dragon Stout.

3.21/5  rDev -20.9%

Brought back from a bottle shop in London.

Darkened blackened ruby...more so than most Guinness-water we get for here, for sure. Lighter than Nigerian version, though.

Amazing bubbly lace cling, pre-sip. Fresh out-of-oven chocolate cookies, watery alcohol and astringency, intense roast, high and almost piercing weediness. That sourish off-flavor that is so prevalent in Guinness these days. Almost Belgian yeast thing happening.

Taste echoes nose, with emphasis on vinous elements, reediness, metallic hop bitterness, nice sweetness to close.

Better than our crappy Guinness...but not that much better.

3.21/5  rDev -20.9%

A- Pours a deep black color with a nice tan head. Nice head retention as well
S- Caramel, oats, chocolate and a slight olive aroma from the yeast (same yeast smell from original guinness)
T- Roasted malt comes through with more of the olive flavor, and finishes with a sweet caramel/chocolate flavor.
M- Rich body, but not real heavy, with average carbonation. Much more drinkable than I would have anticipated
O- I think it is a nice spin on the original guinness. The extra hops give the beer a little twist. I like the original guinness so I think this is a nice addition. By no means do I think it's ground breaking, but I could still drink a few

L: Black body, tan head that's a little short, nice lacing 4/5

S: One characteristic smell, a sweet syrupy roasted malt aroma 3/5

T: Really builds on the dry bitterness of the draught. Taste opens up as you drink it. Overall reminds me of their extra stout. Slightly better than average 3.5/5

M: There is a problem with the carbonation, can feel it affecting the taste as it calms down in the mouth. Overall it seems a little heavy and somehow sharp. This really holds the beer back 2/5

D: Mouthfeel harms an otherwise very drinkable beer. Alcohol is unnoticeable 3/5

I haven't had a Foreign/Export Stout before, but this would fall short for a RIS or even a stronger regular American Stout

3.22/5  rDev -20.7%

Moderate to light brown pour, turns opaque in the glass. Huge head that holds well, has a touch of oil and stickiness to it. Lacing is impressive as well.

Almost sour level of burnt malt, burnt barely and hops mixing. Very piney and earthy hops. A lot of aroma, but not an aroma I'm in love with. Has an almost smoky smell.

Plenty of hops as they said. The burt flavors are pretty limited. They hang around in the back ground never taking control. The barely controls the sweetness and does a good job. It also has all of the burt/chocolate flavors though I have to say they're really subdued. Far more flavorful than anything else they make, but for stouts it's nothing that special.

Drinkable beer without a question. The alcohol is nearly non existent. The body is light enough to drink it. It's pretty easy to drink.

The mouth feel is also solid. Plenty of carbonation. Smooth drinker.

3.23/5  rDev -20.4%

Pulled out of a 4-pack at the Boise COOP over the weekend.. paid ~$2.50... poured into my Delerium goblet. 3 finger dark tan head... great lacing and the expected black brew.

Nose is deep and black with some off putting smoke..

Flavor shows the same char... almost a jerky taste that thankfully dissipates quickly ... burnt sugars with plenty of charcoal... tons of roast and some metallic copper notes... pretty astringent.

Lite/medium body with a nice carbonation.. not digging this one at all.

I am really glad Boise got this one in, but I just never ever.... EVER see wanting another bottle.

4/3.5/3/3.5/3

3.23/5  rDev -20.4%

The other beer available in Indonesia is alright too. The head is light brown caramel and it taste like guinness. Its not the best Guinness you,ll had in your life but its decent while you relaxing in the sumatran jungle. with the orang-outang!
But I think I prefer the Bintang, it is more refreshing!!

3.25/5  rDev -20%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Very dark, almost black; medium head, light brown

Aroma: Sour; musty

Taste: Creamy; bitter; hints of dried fruit

Remarks: Better as it warmed up; but a little too bitter for me. I've always felt Guinness was a bit too thin for the style

Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; disregard those scores

3.28/5  rDev -19.2%

Thanks to victory4me for sharing one of these with me. Tossed it in as an 'extra' from when he had picked up some other beers for me. Poured into a tulip glass.

The color is darker than Guinness Draught, almost opaque but not quite, with brown hues around the edges. A creamy nitro-like head (typical for Guinness) sits in clumps around the top of the beer after a few minutes. Lacing is spotty and inconsistent.

The aroma is strong with roasted barley notes that contribute a charred character. There are also notes of chocolate, a hint of buttery diacetyl, and some light figgy fruitiness. The flavor emphasizes the almost burnt notes from the roasted barley. Earthy hops augment the bitterness from the charred flavors nicely. There is a touch of sweetness, but it comes in the middle of the palate and is quickly swept away by roasted coffee and more burnt flavors.

A little more substantial in the mouthfeel than I had expected. However, the burnt feel of the malts really borders on astringent. Smooth and medium-to-heavy on the palate, the overall feel is pretty good. However, with the shortcomings in the flavor make it tough to drink.

3.28/5  rDev -19.2%

11.2oz bottle. Pours black with a short lived brown head and some lacing. Aroma is of roasted grain, bready malt and some chocolate. Body is full, smooth and oily. Roasted grain, chocolate malt, some dark fruit and a lot of earthy hops fill the mouth. The finish is long and bitter. I can’t say I enjoyed this brew.

3.29/5  rDev -19%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Deep brown with big tan foamy/frothy head with great retention and okay lacing. Not much in the aroma, a little roasted and sour lager. Molasses and roasted malts with slightly sour finish. A little hoppy and smoky with a roasted finish. Thick yet thin/smooth with a slight fuzz.

Much more drinkable than other Guinness although still probably just a slightly above average stout. Easy drinking to the point of it being unnoticeable except the sour/bitter finish. Not anything I'll be looking for except if it's the only thing available on St. Patrick's Day. I would definitely drink it before any other Guinness I've had.

Guinness Foreign Extra Stout from Guinness Ltd.