Guinness Foreign Extra Stout | Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Foreign Extra StoutGuinness Foreign Extra Stout

Guinness Ltd.
Ireland
guinness.com

Style: Foreign / Export Stout

Foreign Extra Stout is brewed with generous hops and roasted barley for a bittersweet balance and full-flavored, natural bite. Developed for global export from Ireland, the addition of extra hops ensured this Stout would arrive in perfect condition. Today it is enjoyed by millions around the world.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-30-2001

Reviews: 854 | Ratings: 2,302
4.47/5  rDev +10.1%

First let me say that I am in no way a Guinness fan. Actually, I have been screaming it's "overratedness" from the rooftops for years. However, that has all changed with the importation of this sout.

A- "Blacker than a dark steers tucus on a cold prarie night" to quote Big Lebowski. Just as a good stout should be.

S- Now here is the crazy part. You know your average "american" guinness has a very weak feeble smell (because in all reality it is a weak porter). Not on this puppy though! Here i think we have a distinct red wine scent. There are obviouse chocolate smells, but i still keep getting that red wine.

T- Compared to the other versions...Fan-frickin-tastic. This is what a stout is. It is like a complete meal right there with ya. I can now understand why so many of the Irish blokes drink nothing else.

M- Right on with the carbing. And a very heavy beer, big body!

D- Now this is a beer that isn't for drinking quickly. As it gets oxygen and warms other flavors unlock. It really is pretty brilliant. It is sold in four-packs and that is for good reason. six of these bab boys may have you laid up for the night.

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%

Appartently (from what I'm told), this is what you get if you go 2 a UK bar and say I want a Guinness. No wonder they say this shit is better in other countries. I personally don't prefer the regular Guinness extra that's on tap in most US bars.

Pours pitch black with the perfect 'not quite finger' of head that is perfect for the style. Perfect lacing and retention. head is a dark beige hue.

Roasty aroma. Slightly alcohol pungent and slightly hoppy but nothing is by any means outta balance. very subtle chocolatey note on the back end of the nose.

Incredible drinkability without skimping on flavor. coffee-like at first then a wonderful mix of carmely malt character and floral subtle hop character as the ale slides down your throat. Hops in a stout? No worries, they didn't overdo a damn thing here. everything is in wonderful, harmonious balance.

Mouthfeel is a bit syrupy but still refreshingly drinkable. reminiscent of coffee in some ways and chocolatey in some ways.

finish is bitter but almost completely absent in hop character (which keep in mind is perfect characteristics for this style). don't get me wrong, hops are there but subtle as hell. the hoppy character is merely an undertone but I would guess (I'm in no way an expert) it's a variety with an alpha acid content around 8%. Hoppyness is definitely more than most stouts but it never becomes to much at any stage in the flavor profile. The dominant bitter character of the finish is coffee (roasted malt) and caramel with slight dominance of coffee. A subtle brown-sugary, and slightly coffee-like flavor remains.

Overall: I think I've said enough in the above. This is a traditional style and I tend to favor the non-traditional, "lunatic" styles of beer. Having said that I still think this beer is exceptional. One of the best of its style that I've had. Incredible balance and wonderful uniqueness.

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%

I couldn't believe it when I saw this at my local store. Guinness is usually my go to drink when the bar only serves the commercial beers. However, I've always felt that it need more behind it.

My friends, the foreign draft is just that. Take the traditional guinness smells and flavors we all know and love, double them, and you get the foreign draft.

This pours a deep black color with a dark brown head. The head is so thick that you can giggle it back and forth. It went down super smooth and filled me with the great guinness flavors..

I would really like to try this on tap somewhere because the carbonation slightly prohibits the creaminess that is often experienced with the nitro tap.

3.91/5  rDev -3.7%

Wow, so glad I gave this a chance, not being a big fan of Guinness, as I feel it's too light in flavor.

Not this one. Pours a deep fizzy black, with roasted flavor and some chocolate, cola and cherry flavors. Nice bitterness on the finish. Leaves behind a silky spicy mouthfeel, with fizz. Nice balanced alcohol, a lot more than usual in a Guinness. Approaching an Imperial Stout but just short of it.

If you don't like Guinness because of its mass production, flat finish, and blah taste you should really give the Foreign Extra a try. It's more of a beer advocate's Guinness, much tastier, fizzier, and stronger.

3.55/5  rDev -12.6%

Appearance: Almost pitch black with a fluffy head that won't go away.

Smell: Roasted coffee beans, toast and bitter chocolate.

Taste: Has almost a cola like taste along with the dark coffee flavors. Mild bitter hops on the end.

Mouthfeel: Mild carbonations lifts the aromas up and into the back of the nose almost continuosly.

Drinkability: Fairly balanced but maybe fust one or two would do, depending on the mood.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

Appearance: Dark black with a small light brown head that fades quickly.

Smell: Roasted barley malts, coffee notes

Taste: Roasted malts up front, coffee notes, some hints of chocolate, there is a nice balance of ingredients with this beer, some hop bitterness in the background

Mouth feel: Very smooth, leaves a lingering bitterness that lasts for quite a while after each sip.

Drinkability: Easy drink ability, and at 7.5% abv it is hidden extremely well. Overall, this beer reminds me of something in between the Guinness draught in terms of drink ability and the Guinness Stout in terms of flavor. Highly recommended.

4.23/5  rDev +4.2%

Finally bought a four pack of this at the local grocery store after eyeing it for the last several trips. I'm not a big fan of the regular strength Guinness that passes for stout here in the U.S., but this is different!

Pours a dark almost jet black with an ample tan head. Aroma is malty sweet with a slight smell of baking bread and licorice. Pretty faint, though.

Mouthfeel is substantially more viscous that regular extra stout.

Taste, sweet at first then blackened malt with a tinge of alcohol at the finish. Very nice.

Hopefully in the future this will replace extra stout on the taps everywhere. Good beer.

I have not been drinking as much Guinness in the last few years so nice to have a new (old) offering to try.

The color of the FES is a dull black with hints of ruby along the edges and bottom of the glass. The head a creamy and resilient though over a few minutes falling to a thin half finger coating that leaves a light lacing. The aroma seems subdued to me. I smell earthy hops and toasty elements of the malt though both seem faint.
This is a big stout especially for a company known for session beers. Upon imbibing I tasted the sharp crisp hop flavor that melds with the toasted malts with the glue of subtle booze notes. The malt is semi sweet with hints of coffee, and a hint of smokiness. The hops are strong but one sided in a good way the crisp bite of what must be noble hops leaves lots of room fo the roasted malts to shine through.
The mouthfeel was better than I expected but still seemed just slightly thinner than desired in the mouth, but this thinness makes me want to drink another Foreign Extra after this one is done!

4.28/5  rDev +5.4%

A- Opaque black with a thick tan head that cakes on the side of the glass. AWESOME!

S- smells like Guinness, nothing different here.

T- Rich and chocolaty with nice balancing bitterness on the end. Tastes like a richer, sweeter Guinness.

M- Excellent! Full bodied and creamy even from the bottle.

D- Excellent flavor, nicely balanced. I could drink a whole lot of this, but then the 7.5 ABV would destroy me. I would love to try this on tap if that is even possible.

2.43/5  rDev -40.1%

A- This brew pours a solid black body with absolutely no light shining through. Creamy off-white head with decent lacing along the glass.

S- Smells of vanilla, caramel malts, roasted coffee, and hints of chocolate. There is also a smell of earthy hops present. Not quite expected for the style.

T- Begins with the roasted coffee/chocolate characters and quickly changes into tangy, hoppy, sour mess. The sour is quite overbearing.

M- Quite pleasant. Very creamy and full. Very dry.

This is a quality brew, just not to my personal taste.

3.13/5  rDev -22.9%

As expected, my bottle of mud pours deep and black, with a thin chocolate head that held steady throughout the serving. Without the nitrogen pour, the bubbles were a little bigger, of course, but the lacing was still generous. A little fuller in body, the hoppy bite was noticeable, relative to the standard U.S. Draught version. There's a little alcohol heat and a nice lingering sweetness, balanced by the hoppy bitterness.

While I like this better than the typical draft, Guinness is still a far cry from any number of the HUGE assortments of stouts and porters readily available in nearly any local brewpub or brewery. All in all, while this is a very serviceable quaff, I'd prefer to drink local and fresh.

4.53/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I have never seen this anywhere. HyVee is the store I usually go to (as I live in Nebraska) and they never have the foreign extra stout just the draught (which I dont love) and the normal extra stout which I drink all the time. I went to Wal Mart and, oddly, they had it. You would think that the store with the more extensive wine/spirits area would have this, but no walmart did.
It was 8. 95 for 4 bottles. A bit pricey, but after having one already, this is my second, I can tell you its worth the price.

poured this into a beer glass. upon opening the bottle generous amounts of smoke come out. pouring it correctly it gives a two finger head of a creamy brown color that laces. The body is jet blackish brown. You cannot see through it at all.

The smell has a roasted tone to it. It smells of barely, hops, and a little bit of alcohol but in the best way possible. It has deep roasted aroma to it that is very very pleasing

It tastes like barely and hops, which has a nice chocolately roasted taste. It has a finish that is very pleasing of roasted tones with a bit of alcohol taste to it. The taste is very pleasing. I really enjoy good stouts and this one is exceptionally nice to drink. The mouthfeel is great. It has little carbonation but enough that its nice. Its very drinkable if you like stouts with roasted tones. The finish is simply a nice roasted hop and barely taste that lingers and is very pleasing.

Overall this is a very very enjoyable to drink and taste. I drink the Guinness Extra Stout on a regular basis as its one of my favorite beers, but this one is an "every once in awhile" beer that has a little bit more bite to it. Its pricey. 8.95 for only 4 bottles, but every once in awhile its VERY well worth the price. Its a great beer. If you like dark beers and stouts, please try this next time you see it.

4.27/5  rDev +5.2%

Picked this up as soon as I saw it available in the states. 11.2 oz bottle

Appearance- Pours a very dark brown to black with 1 finger of head that settles down to a khaki film over the top of the glass. No lacing.

Smell- Sour dark chocolate and a bit of cherry fruit smell. A bit of alcohol comes through as well. Hoppier than "normal" Guinness.

Taste- Big coffee and roasted malt flavor coming though. Has a bit of bite to it, hops and chocolate bitterness is there in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- Crisp and clean. Not too long of an aftertaste for a high alcohol beer.

Drinkability- Although 7.5% this beer seems very drinkable, Wouldnt attempt a 6-pack, but the 4-pack that I bought this in seems realistic. Doesnt burn you out on taste, and unlike the more normal version of Guinness gives a bit more in the taste so it doesnt bore you.

3.36/5  rDev -17.2%

Appearance: dark brown color, 1 finger dark tan head. Decent lacing.

Smell: smells like regular guinness with a touch of alcohol

Taste: taste is a bit better than guinness. roasted malts and chocolate. ends with hops. nothing special but not bad.

Mouthfeel: pretty light for a stout but very smooth.

Drinkability: good drinkability. the 7.5% abv is barely noticeable.

Overall better than Guinness but I'm still not impressed. There are definitely better stouts out there. I probably won't buy this again.

3.73/5  rDev -8.1%

Guinness Foreign Extra Stout

Pours a familiar black body with the traditional Guinness carbonation. Big head which doesn't remind me as much of the creamy white head of regular Guinness. Color is different as well in the head, rather than the cloudy, creame head has a tan darker head. As the head dissipates, leaves chunky lacing around the top of my Guinness glass.

Aroma isn't this beers strong suit. The nose is not very pungent, and actually has a somewhat watery notes to it. As I stick my nose deeper in the pint, big up some of the roasted malts and chocolate that this beer is blowing off.

Tastes bitter upfront, very harsh I'm comparison to some of the other Guinness brand beers I have had. And when i use harsh, I am using that in the positive sense. Good amount of hop presence throughout this beer, and it lingers afterwards on the back of my teeth. Very malty with a extremely dry finish that wipes the palate. Once it warms up, I can detect the booze and some dark fruit maybe. Dark, dark chocolate and a touch of Carmel.

Mouthfeel is real slip and finishes clean. Creamy as well. The booze starts kicking in about halfway through and I can really taste it as it warms up. I can't pound these like I used to do with Guinness in my college days.

4.9/5  rDev +20.7%

WOW. Amazing. This is truly as close as you get to perfection in a bottle. Pours a beautiful fluffy two-fingered light brown head which retains at about one finger. Looks like beautiful brown clouds! Bursting with delicious smells-slight hit of EtOH allows the nose to take up a flowing smell onslaught of toffee, really dark chocolate and dark caramel. You may also pick up some of the hops in the nose, but they will hit you in the taste. Tastes first of very dark chocolate, and retains a flavour of coffee throughout. The sweetness of the toffee, ethanol and chocolate at the beginning of the taste are complemented wonderfully by the hop bitterness which lingers throughout with the coffee. The beer feels very smooth and pleasing and invites you to take another sip. Really a spectacular stout...probably one of the best in the world!

4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

A - Pours heavily and VERY dark, can't see through it at all. Leaves a MASSIVE three-finger head that takes a long time to go away, leaving almost opaque lacing. Hardcore look.

S - Similar to regular Guinness, sort of a burnt coffee smell with some chocolate, touch of molasses/syrup.

T - The way regular bottled Guinness ought to be, with a little extra kick. Coffee, chocolate, molasses. Very roasty.

M - Quite heavy body, but ends sweet even after the trademark Guinness roasted bitterness. Like whole milk, if it were beer. I mean that in a good way.

O - Whoa. This is probably what all stouts should aspire to be.

Bought at Mega Liquor Super 8 Alhambra, Ca

Poured a black color into a Steinlager glass. Tiny bubbles with an 1 1/2" head. Smells roasty. The taste is malty with a strong aftertaste. Mouthfeel is a little dry judging by the roof of my mouth and tongue. Drinkability is interesting. It's like Guinness with a bite! Being 7.5% abv on the bottle, it's noticable towards the end. This is a 11.2 ounce bottle. This would be good on those cold winter nights.

3.86/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Pours a super dark black with a huge head. Head recedes slowly leaving a ton of lacing. Smell was a bit boozy and different. Not what I expected from a stout. Taste was super bitter. Not hoppy bitter, just bitter. Very interesting, felt like it was overhopped and overmalted to get a taste like that. Again not bad, but not what I was expecting. Mouthfeel was pretty good, a bit watery but not bad.

Overall, good. Different than what I expected, and I'm not sure I'll be in a rush to drink the other 3 bottles I have (especially since I bought 4 packs of Pranqster and Old Rasputin at the same time) but not a bad beer, just not really what I expected/wanted.

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into pint glass. Thick rusty, brown head that lasted until I was finished (about 30 minutes). Opaque black color with only the faintest reddish, brown hue when the last ounce was at the bottom of my glass.

Roasty sweet smell. Chocolate.

Slick mouthfeel with a medium body. Chocolate and coffee with a slightly bitter finish. Faint sweetness. Very smooth. Not overly bitter. I might get some alcohol warming if I let this warm up more, but right out of the fridge, there is none. Very drinkable. I could have 2 or 3.

An excellent stout and what a Guinness should be. I highly recommend trying this beer. It's not the draught guinness at your local watering hole.

4.08/5  rDev +0.5%

If Turkish coffee produced a head when poured, it would look like this.

Collar dissipated in a few minutes, but left nice lacing.

Smell of hops and malt producing an almost dark chocolate aroma. Bittersweet.

Not a sweet beer. Bitter and flavorful. Toasty and Roasty. Not a heavy as one would think upon first glance.

Clean dry finish, lightly carbonated.

Not as drinkable as many stouts as this is a stronger brew, but this taste is a treat.

4.01/5  rDev -1.2%

Appearance: A dark coffee black body with bubbly tan one-finger head. Froth grabs hold of the side of the glass well.

Smell: Bitter coffee, roasted flavors and chocolate. Not intense enough aromas.

Taste: A nice creamy coffee malt with some bitter hoppiness toward the end. The roasted flavors strike in the after taste. Might be some corn in there too.

Mouthfeel: Nice smooth round and full. Not a creamy enough body.

Drinkability: Pretty easy drinking for an extra stout.

4.57/5  rDev +12.6%

Found this beer while shopping at a Walmart!! $8.99/four pack.

Appearance - Dark brown, almost black. 1 - 1 1/2 inch foam head. Medium to heavy lacing. Nice looking beer.

Smell - Heavy malts here. Roasted, toasted, and buttery all the way through. Much more of a hop presence than Guinness Draught.

Taste - Nutty and sweet on the front end. The bitterness really comes through on the back end. Very earthy tasting.

Mouthfeel - Much more carbonated than Guinness Draught, but not overwhelming. Much less dense too.

Overall - This is quite a tasty beer if you're into stouts. It packs a bigger punch than it's cousin, but is very drinkable. This beer is something that I could drink while at home watching movies, at dinner with the family, or at a bar with some good buddies. Cheer to that!!

3.8/5  rDev -6.4%

Poured into a Guinness pint glass.

A - pretty black with three fingers of cream-colored head and some relatively thick lacing.

S - smells more or less like a Guinness, though a bit more pronounced -- chocolate, some faint malt, caramel, and hops. Reminded me more of a CDA or dopplebock.

T - like a Guinness, but, again, slightly more pronounced -- coffee, chocolate, and a noticeable abundance of hops, consequently finishing quite dry. There's a fleeting hint of sweetness somewhere in there. Gets a little less bitter as it warms.

M - creamy and smooth; has a heartier body than regular Guinness, though still relatively thin.

D - better than a standard Guinness and just as drinkable, despite the higher abv. I wish the flavors were more pronounced, but it's probably something I'll pick up again, should I be in the market for a cheap, drinkable Irish stout (that I can make a milkshake with...). That being said, I found it ultimately underwhelming.

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

This is, without question, one of the best beers I’ve ever had. The only part about it that was less than fantastic was the bottle was only 11.2 oz. It pours a deep dark, opaque brown, nearly black. Smells roasty, almost, but not quite like coffee. It’s hoppy, and strong, smooth on the tongue. I can’t say enough. This is truly a special beer.

Guinness Foreign Extra Stout from Guinness Ltd.