Guinness Foreign Extra Stout | Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Foreign Extra StoutGuinness Foreign Extra Stout
Liked This Beer
4.06 w/ 2,333 ratings
Guinness Foreign Extra StoutGuinness Foreign Extra Stout

Guinness Ltd.
Ireland
guinness.com

Style: Foreign / Export Stout

Foreign Extra Stout is brewed with generous hops and roasted barley for a bittersweet balance and full-flavored, natural bite. Developed for global export from Ireland, the addition of extra hops ensured this Stout would arrive in perfect condition. Today it is enjoyed by millions around the world.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-30-2001

Liked:
4.06/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 2,333 |  Reviews: 859

3.97/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.81/5  rDev -6.2%

Wow. Haven't had a Guinness product in nearly 2 years, but the draught was something that was part of the regular college line up. Review is from notes taken on 12/8/2010 and poured from the bottle to a snifter.

Appearance: Pour is deep, dark brown/near black and starts with a big 2 an 1/2 finger creamy tan head with really good retention; body is entirely opaque; head eventually fades to a thick and incomplete skim with a plateau of larger bubbles in the center; nice webs and strands of lacing are left behind.

Smell: Not especially robust or overpowering, but there are definite hints of the bittering hops; bit of a sweet, milky chocolate aspect lying underneath it and some well roasted barley; also a bit of a coppery/metallic bite at the beginning of each whiff -- I remember this being in there in the draught version as well.

Taste: Definitely NOT the Guinness of my college days -- this rendition is by far superior to it. Nice roasted malts with some bittersweet chocolate that is smooth and a little milky/creamy in presence; an earthy hoppiness to it that even belies a hint of citrus... Very nice overall and I'm very pleased by this stout. The FES is not a style that I'm especially well versed in yet, but this one makes me want more.

Mouthfeel: Body is a solid medium in terms of weight, and it is very smooth, almost silky; carbonation is present, but it's very light and soft and adds to the creamy body; a thin, dry sticky coating is left all over the palate and the belly is even left a little warm.

Drinkability: Cheers to Guinness for this one! It's super solid with great flavors and a near perfect mouthfeel; weight might slow me down after one or two, and the ABV would likely catch up at 7.5% after a couple as well, but nice for a cold night and I'm more than cool feeling that I could drink 2, maybe even three. Price point was good too -- 2 bucks/bottle.

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

Pitch black in color with some light brwn hues. Large 2 finger khaki colored head that falls to a spotty wet lacing.
Roasted grains, coffee and "rum". Maybe the islands are still on my mind but I swear I smell rum in this beer.
Big roasted character with some toffee and a grainy like hop bitterness. There really is no comparison to the Guinness Extra Stout and this one. The FES is by far the better beer.
Mouthfeel is full bodied, light on the carbonation. A syrupy. Nice crisp feel from the hops.
Very drinkable, very good stout.
Will someone please tell me why we don't have this one in the states.

3.91/5  rDev -3.7%

4.17/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A - poured into frosted tumbler w/ over 1" creamy head. body was dark chocolate and clear although opaque

S - notes of bitter chocolate - nice strong aroma

T - brought back the memories of the Guinness of old. After the Brits tried to dump all the other Guinness stouts on us. This is the only one and it is full of flavor. Don't bother w/ the other stouts from Guinness

M - delightful carbonation -- smooth

O - a go to beer for all the stout lovers and that includes me.

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

3.55/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

4.82/5  rDev +18.7%

A: poured from an 11.2 oz bottle into a nonic pint glass, dark yellow brown almost black with a dark tan foamy head that dissipates slowly leaving good lacing, clear

S: chocolate, coffee, slight hops, dark roasted malts, slight burnt charcoal smell

T: very hoppy up front with a strong bitter presence, flavors of bitter dark roast coffee and chocolate, finish sweetens with big roasted malt

M: quite heavy and oily, alcohol is subtle but there, low carbonation

O: an excellent export stout if you love the dry burnt quality of Guinness

4.73/5  rDev +16.5%

Appearance: Pitch black body with dark tan head.
Aroma: Sweet charred malt aroma.
Taste: Slightly sweet large amounts of elegant bitterness. Alcohol noticeable but only to the degree that it balances the bitterness. More coffee than chocolate, but hugely complex in any case.
Mouthfeel: This is a big boned, super slick beer.
Notes: Although, not the strongest beer in the Guinness line-up (that would be the one for Belgian export at 8%), this is a full strength lovely beer.

4.75/5  rDev +17%

4.12/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

11.2 Oz bottle poured into a SA pint glass

A- Pours black with clear red around the edges. A tall brown, tan thick head with good retention.

S- A big bitter roastyness up front. Some hoppyness. A bit of chocolate and toffee. A sweet milkiness like in a milk stout.

T- I get a bit of roastedness up front that leaves behind a roasty/smokey aftertaste. There is a bitterness to this beer that I cant quite put my finger on. There is some fruity qualities that believe it or not, remind me of banana bread. A very roasty beverage.

M- Goes down pretty smooth and creamy. It leaves behind a dry roasted aftertaste.

O- This is pretty good, much better then the watery stuff we get here in the US. I also dont think my bottle was that fresh so I was somewhat optimistic in my rating.

3.19/5  rDev -21.4%

Poured into my Surly pint glass. A deep dark black color, not many highlight other that the very small one I found at the bottom edge of the glass. It was a dark brown color. I can't see the carbonation bubbles but I know they are there because the head is a huge four fingers and a dark mocha color that is very velvety an luscious. The lace is beautiful and sticks in rings all the way to the end.

Smell is European yeast and soggy bread. There are some dark roasted coffee aromas that I can pull out but it is hard to get anything over the dank musty initial smell.

Taste so odd. There are some great dark roasted flavors that get interrupted by this terrible hop bitter. Let it be said that I don't mind some hop flavors in my Stout, but the choice of hop is not my top pick. I understand this is made in Dublin also. I'll stick to America, specifically West Coast.

The mouth is quite unlike the appearance. It does have the bubblyness but feels flat. A bit watery too.

Overall, I must say that I am an American and enjoy beer brewed on this side of the pond. I understand that Guinness is a well respected brand all over the world, I just don't care for this. I know there are a few variations and I will rate them individually as I try them. Thanks to my local purveyor for the sample.

4.06/5  rDev 0%

Guinness Foreign Extra Stout from Guinness Ltd.
Beer rating: 83.7% out of 100 with 2,333 ratings