Guinness Foreign Extra Stout | Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Foreign Extra StoutGuinness Foreign Extra Stout

Guinness Ltd.

Style: Foreign / Export Stout

Foreign Extra Stout is brewed with generous hops and roasted barley for a bittersweet balance and full-flavored, natural bite. Developed for global export from Ireland, the addition of extra hops ensured this Stout would arrive in perfect condition. Today it is enjoyed by millions around the world.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-30-2001

Reviews: 844 | Ratings: 2,256
4.53/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I have never seen this anywhere. HyVee is the store I usually go to (as I live in Nebraska) and they never have the foreign extra stout just the draught (which I dont love) and the normal extra stout which I drink all the time. I went to Wal Mart and, oddly, they had it. You would think that the store with the more extensive wine/spirits area would have this, but no walmart did.
It was 8. 95 for 4 bottles. A bit pricey, but after having one already, this is my second, I can tell you its worth the price.

poured this into a beer glass. upon opening the bottle generous amounts of smoke come out. pouring it correctly it gives a two finger head of a creamy brown color that laces. The body is jet blackish brown. You cannot see through it at all.

The smell has a roasted tone to it. It smells of barely, hops, and a little bit of alcohol but in the best way possible. It has deep roasted aroma to it that is very very pleasing

It tastes like barely and hops, which has a nice chocolately roasted taste. It has a finish that is very pleasing of roasted tones with a bit of alcohol taste to it. The taste is very pleasing. I really enjoy good stouts and this one is exceptionally nice to drink. The mouthfeel is great. It has little carbonation but enough that its nice. Its very drinkable if you like stouts with roasted tones. The finish is simply a nice roasted hop and barely taste that lingers and is very pleasing.

Overall this is a very very enjoyable to drink and taste. I drink the Guinness Extra Stout on a regular basis as its one of my favorite beers, but this one is an "every once in awhile" beer that has a little bit more bite to it. Its pricey. 8.95 for only 4 bottles, but every once in awhile its VERY well worth the price. Its a great beer. If you like dark beers and stouts, please try this next time you see it.

4.27/5  rDev +5.2%

Picked this up as soon as I saw it available in the states. 11.2 oz bottle

Appearance- Pours a very dark brown to black with 1 finger of head that settles down to a khaki film over the top of the glass. No lacing.

Smell- Sour dark chocolate and a bit of cherry fruit smell. A bit of alcohol comes through as well. Hoppier than "normal" Guinness.

Taste- Big coffee and roasted malt flavor coming though. Has a bit of bite to it, hops and chocolate bitterness is there in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- Crisp and clean. Not too long of an aftertaste for a high alcohol beer.

Drinkability- Although 7.5% this beer seems very drinkable, Wouldnt attempt a 6-pack, but the 4-pack that I bought this in seems realistic. Doesnt burn you out on taste, and unlike the more normal version of Guinness gives a bit more in the taste so it doesnt bore you.

3.36/5  rDev -17.2%

Appearance: dark brown color, 1 finger dark tan head. Decent lacing.

Smell: smells like regular guinness with a touch of alcohol

Taste: taste is a bit better than guinness. roasted malts and chocolate. ends with hops. nothing special but not bad.

Mouthfeel: pretty light for a stout but very smooth.

Drinkability: good drinkability. the 7.5% abv is barely noticeable.

Overall better than Guinness but I'm still not impressed. There are definitely better stouts out there. I probably won't buy this again.

3.73/5  rDev -8.1%

Guinness Foreign Extra Stout

Pours a familiar black body with the traditional Guinness carbonation. Big head which doesn't remind me as much of the creamy white head of regular Guinness. Color is different as well in the head, rather than the cloudy, creame head has a tan darker head. As the head dissipates, leaves chunky lacing around the top of my Guinness glass.

Aroma isn't this beers strong suit. The nose is not very pungent, and actually has a somewhat watery notes to it. As I stick my nose deeper in the pint, big up some of the roasted malts and chocolate that this beer is blowing off.

Tastes bitter upfront, very harsh I'm comparison to some of the other Guinness brand beers I have had. And when i use harsh, I am using that in the positive sense. Good amount of hop presence throughout this beer, and it lingers afterwards on the back of my teeth. Very malty with a extremely dry finish that wipes the palate. Once it warms up, I can detect the booze and some dark fruit maybe. Dark, dark chocolate and a touch of Carmel.

Mouthfeel is real slip and finishes clean. Creamy as well. The booze starts kicking in about halfway through and I can really taste it as it warms up. I can't pound these like I used to do with Guinness in my college days.

4.9/5  rDev +20.7%

WOW. Amazing. This is truly as close as you get to perfection in a bottle. Pours a beautiful fluffy two-fingered light brown head which retains at about one finger. Looks like beautiful brown clouds! Bursting with delicious smells-slight hit of EtOH allows the nose to take up a flowing smell onslaught of toffee, really dark chocolate and dark caramel. You may also pick up some of the hops in the nose, but they will hit you in the taste. Tastes first of very dark chocolate, and retains a flavour of coffee throughout. The sweetness of the toffee, ethanol and chocolate at the beginning of the taste are complemented wonderfully by the hop bitterness which lingers throughout with the coffee. The beer feels very smooth and pleasing and invites you to take another sip. Really a spectacular stout...probably one of the best in the world!

4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

A - Pours heavily and VERY dark, can't see through it at all. Leaves a MASSIVE three-finger head that takes a long time to go away, leaving almost opaque lacing. Hardcore look.

S - Similar to regular Guinness, sort of a burnt coffee smell with some chocolate, touch of molasses/syrup.

T - The way regular bottled Guinness ought to be, with a little extra kick. Coffee, chocolate, molasses. Very roasty.

M - Quite heavy body, but ends sweet even after the trademark Guinness roasted bitterness. Like whole milk, if it were beer. I mean that in a good way.

O - Whoa. This is probably what all stouts should aspire to be.

Bought at Mega Liquor Super 8 Alhambra, Ca

Poured a black color into a Steinlager glass. Tiny bubbles with an 1 1/2" head. Smells roasty. The taste is malty with a strong aftertaste. Mouthfeel is a little dry judging by the roof of my mouth and tongue. Drinkability is interesting. It's like Guinness with a bite! Being 7.5% abv on the bottle, it's noticable towards the end. This is a 11.2 ounce bottle. This would be good on those cold winter nights.

3.86/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Pours a super dark black with a huge head. Head recedes slowly leaving a ton of lacing. Smell was a bit boozy and different. Not what I expected from a stout. Taste was super bitter. Not hoppy bitter, just bitter. Very interesting, felt like it was overhopped and overmalted to get a taste like that. Again not bad, but not what I was expecting. Mouthfeel was pretty good, a bit watery but not bad.

Overall, good. Different than what I expected, and I'm not sure I'll be in a rush to drink the other 3 bottles I have (especially since I bought 4 packs of Pranqster and Old Rasputin at the same time) but not a bad beer, just not really what I expected/wanted.

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into pint glass. Thick rusty, brown head that lasted until I was finished (about 30 minutes). Opaque black color with only the faintest reddish, brown hue when the last ounce was at the bottom of my glass.

Roasty sweet smell. Chocolate.

Slick mouthfeel with a medium body. Chocolate and coffee with a slightly bitter finish. Faint sweetness. Very smooth. Not overly bitter. I might get some alcohol warming if I let this warm up more, but right out of the fridge, there is none. Very drinkable. I could have 2 or 3.

An excellent stout and what a Guinness should be. I highly recommend trying this beer. It's not the draught guinness at your local watering hole.

4.08/5  rDev +0.5%

If Turkish coffee produced a head when poured, it would look like this.

Collar dissipated in a few minutes, but left nice lacing.

Smell of hops and malt producing an almost dark chocolate aroma. Bittersweet.

Not a sweet beer. Bitter and flavorful. Toasty and Roasty. Not a heavy as one would think upon first glance.

Clean dry finish, lightly carbonated.

Not as drinkable as many stouts as this is a stronger brew, but this taste is a treat.

4.01/5  rDev -1.2%

Appearance: A dark coffee black body with bubbly tan one-finger head. Froth grabs hold of the side of the glass well.

Smell: Bitter coffee, roasted flavors and chocolate. Not intense enough aromas.

Taste: A nice creamy coffee malt with some bitter hoppiness toward the end. The roasted flavors strike in the after taste. Might be some corn in there too.

Mouthfeel: Nice smooth round and full. Not a creamy enough body.

Drinkability: Pretty easy drinking for an extra stout.

4.57/5  rDev +12.6%

Found this beer while shopping at a Walmart!! $8.99/four pack.

Appearance - Dark brown, almost black. 1 - 1 1/2 inch foam head. Medium to heavy lacing. Nice looking beer.

Smell - Heavy malts here. Roasted, toasted, and buttery all the way through. Much more of a hop presence than Guinness Draught.

Taste - Nutty and sweet on the front end. The bitterness really comes through on the back end. Very earthy tasting.

Mouthfeel - Much more carbonated than Guinness Draught, but not overwhelming. Much less dense too.

Overall - This is quite a tasty beer if you're into stouts. It packs a bigger punch than it's cousin, but is very drinkable. This beer is something that I could drink while at home watching movies, at dinner with the family, or at a bar with some good buddies. Cheer to that!!

3.8/5  rDev -6.4%

Poured into a Guinness pint glass.

A - pretty black with three fingers of cream-colored head and some relatively thick lacing.

S - smells more or less like a Guinness, though a bit more pronounced -- chocolate, some faint malt, caramel, and hops. Reminded me more of a CDA or dopplebock.

T - like a Guinness, but, again, slightly more pronounced -- coffee, chocolate, and a noticeable abundance of hops, consequently finishing quite dry. There's a fleeting hint of sweetness somewhere in there. Gets a little less bitter as it warms.

M - creamy and smooth; has a heartier body than regular Guinness, though still relatively thin.

D - better than a standard Guinness and just as drinkable, despite the higher abv. I wish the flavors were more pronounced, but it's probably something I'll pick up again, should I be in the market for a cheap, drinkable Irish stout (that I can make a milkshake with...). That being said, I found it ultimately underwhelming.

4.02/5  rDev -1%

Bottle pour into 2/3 pint glass.

I can't believe it's taken me so long to discover this one. A regular Guinness Draft drinker during my student days this one passed me by completely. This is lovely stuff; bitter, herbal and complex with a reasonably soft mouthfeel. Doesn't have the same intensity as many of it US counterparts but sometimes a bit of subtlety is what you want; it gives you a little more to contemplate. A cracking surprise and readily availability/good value means that this will be a regular buy for me.

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

This is, without question, one of the best beers I’ve ever had. The only part about it that was less than fantastic was the bottle was only 11.2 oz. It pours a deep dark, opaque brown, nearly black. Smells roasty, almost, but not quite like coffee. It’s hoppy, and strong, smooth on the tongue. I can’t say enough. This is truly a special beer.

4.42/5  rDev +8.9%

Saw this at my local distributor last week for the first time. Had to double check to make sure it just wasnt a repackaging of the regular export stout. I would say this is my favorite flavor of Guinness after the Special version (Belgium). I would put it just a bit ahead of the 250th anniversary version we got a few years back. Nice finnish and in my opinion not as bitter as a regular guinness, very good smell and overall feel. All the flavors seemed to be well balanced for any overall enjoyable experience.

3.73/5  rDev -8.1%

A dark night in color with a nice light brown 2 finger head and lacing to stay. The smell is dark fruit, sticky sweet molasses and faint alcohol.
The molasses and dark fruit comes through on the palate along with espresso, with a somewhat dry finish, although there is enough roasted malt presence to keep it from being dry throughout.
This is is nice stout and to me better than the traditional Guiness bottled stout. However, I still prefer an American stout like Obsidian from Deschutes or Big Bear Black Stout from Bear Republic.

4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours black with a very thick, dark tan rocky head. Aroma of dried cherries, ripe figs, hint of chocolate. Rich and full-bodied, sour, roasted and dark chocolate flavors. Long finish. Bitter in the aftertaste.

Overall, an excellent beer with a unique combination of sour and dark. It's like Guinness concentrate with a slug of Brett (which I believe they do use).

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

Appearance - 3 solid inches of creamy off white pillows of head. A dark black color to the beer. Leaving lacing from the initial head alone.

Smell - Malty chocolate with caramel coffee and a bread back to it.

Taste - The caramel and milk chocolaty flavors come through and are backed with a hoppy bitterness that is unforgettable.

Mouthfeel - Slightly heavy thick richness like a chocolate malt. Yet smooth.

Drinkability - I love Guinness and id give it a 5 all the way down but i do not believe anything is "perfect".

3.76/5  rDev -7.4%

Wow. After years of bashing the Guinness Stout we all know, I decided to try the Foreign Extra version, having read some good things about it. I was not disappointed. This is so very different from what I've come to think of as Guinness Stout that I am simply floored. This is astonishingly good. Bravo, Guinness.

A - Pours jet black with a crazy tan head and lacing that continues to coat the glass all the way down.

S - Not a whole lot going on here, since roasted malts don't really contribute much to aroma. Charcoal. A little pungency.

T - Slight sourness, burnt toast. That sounds bad, but it's not. I'm just at a loss to describe what I am tasting. It's just plain good.

M - Great body. Creamy. Just thick enough, just thin enough. Nice.

D - At 7.5% ABV, I could probably only drink two of these in a 1- to 2-hour period, but this stout is very drinkable given the potency of the brew.

If you've had Guinness Stout in the past and have not tried Guinness Foreign Extra, you've probably observed that the former is overrated. This is not that beer. Try Guinness Foreign Extra and then ask yourself, "Why did they even bother with the other version?"

3.98/5  rDev -2%

Introductory notes: Needed to see what the fuss was about ... newly available in the US, and previously only available places like the Brit VI. I remember once being told that this is the beer that guiness makes that's good. This is the good guiness. This is the reason they shouldn't be dismissed. I'll confess, most people hate it and it definitely isn't something I pretty much ever buy, but I don't hate Guiness as it is. Regardless, they were right. This is the Good Guiness. It is complex. I am enjoying this beer. Quite a bit, really.

The usual rigmarole:
Ok, so, lets start at the pour. it's thick, and develops a pretty good tan head (even on the brown side, I'll say.) It vanishes to a film on top of the it's thick black body. Though the heavy body and darkness makes it pretty opaque, catch some light through a corner and you can tell it does have good clarity, and is ruddy and very dark brown.

The smells comes through being as much dark fruit as grain and that's one of the first thing that hits the taste, too. The taste also hits with some fig or date,, which is really nice, and some burnt sugar ... a molasses, or maybe caramel even. The burnt notes come out and lend to its final dryness. Down right bitter on the aftertaste. It's a distant relative to yerdaddysguiness, but they are related.

Feels pretty nice, but as you might expect, it is heavy. Not syrup heavy, but its heavy. I wouldn't make it an every day beer, but I might buy this once in a while. It would balance the spice of jerk nicely, but I suspect that attitude is biased based on its history.

I end with one thing: I am now glad its in the US market.

4.13/5  rDev +1.7%

A: Dark brown-black pour, with a monster-sized, foamy tan head. Really great pour.

S: Smoky, sour malt, roasted coffee, yeasty.

T: Roasted barley, smoke, sour malt, tangy, nicely hopped finish with a good level of bitterness.

M: Soft, gently carbonated, well-balanced.

D: Excellent. I really enjoyed this and will certainly try it again. I grew up on Guinness but don't drink a lot of it anymore, as I find the standard draught just so-so and the extra only slightly better. The FES is definitely going to find it's way into my fridge again.

4.43/5  rDev +9.1%

Wow I really never saw this beer coming. I've heard great things about this beer and I've been dying to try it myself.

A: Pours a black really nice tan head and great lacing.

S: While its a bit lacking it it still well above average. I get a sweetness off the nose that I can't get over. Really inviting.

T: I love the hoppy sweetness right up front. Really tasty beer that. Finishes a little drier but makes you want to just keep sipping.

M: A tad bit thin but damn this is drinkable. I could easily have a few of these in a night and not think twice.

O: What a beer that came out of left field. I never thought I'd be this impressed with a guinness but I have been proven wrong. I'd highly recommend this to anyone!

4.11/5  rDev +1.2%

This beer is like chocolate puddin! I was lucky enough to discover a can of this in Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica. It pours just as you'd expect, like a dark motor oil. A tan/yellow frothy head and a dark "black hole" color.

It tastes like an incredibly rich version of the Extra Stout. It's has exactly what the US domestic version is missing. This beer is luscious.

It's not what I'd call "drinkable" though. You'll catch a nice buzz off the first pint and you don't exactly want to follow it with 5 more.

Regardless of the poor drinkability factor, have one sometime. If you're into dark stouts, you'll totally dig this one.

3.53/5  rDev -13.1%

Served in a tuliped Guinness pint glass.

Appearance: Typical of a stout. Dark through the body with brown and red hues lacing the edges. The head pours a medium tan. Looks good but it seems to die-off pretty quick. Lacing is not particularly impressive.

Smell: Stouty. A little roasty but not too much. A few hints of dry, woody tones? I dunno pretty much like the normal extra stout but there is something here I'm not used to. Reminds me of bananas?

Taste: I can taste those awkward notes in the body of the beer too. Shouldn't be skunked, never had a problem at this store before. A bit of dry roastiness kicks through the back though this brew is decidedly less dry than the normal extra stout. An improvement except for whatever the weirdness is thats running through it.

Mouthfeel: Very good. A bit bigger and creamer than the extra stout without being dominating.

Drinkability: Also good, if not a bit unremarkable. You certainly can't taste the alcohol. Suffers from the awkward taste profile but its totally manageable, no prob.

Guinness Foreign Extra Stout from Guinness Ltd.