Guinness Foreign Extra Stout | Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Foreign Extra StoutGuinness Foreign Extra Stout

Guinness Ltd.
Ireland
guinness.com

Style: Foreign / Export Stout

Foreign Extra Stout is brewed with generous hops and roasted barley for a bittersweet balance and full-flavored, natural bite. Developed for global export from Ireland, the addition of extra hops ensured this Stout would arrive in perfect condition. Today it is enjoyed by millions around the world.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-30-2001

Ratings: 2,326 |  Reviews: 859
3.56/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

4.73/5  rDev +16.5%

Appearance: Pitch black body with dark tan head.
Aroma: Sweet charred malt aroma.
Taste: Slightly sweet large amounts of elegant bitterness. Alcohol noticeable but only to the degree that it balances the bitterness. More coffee than chocolate, but hugely complex in any case.
Mouthfeel: This is a big boned, super slick beer.
Notes: Although, not the strongest beer in the Guinness line-up (that would be the one for Belgian export at 8%), this is a full strength lovely beer.

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

11.2 Oz bottle poured into a SA pint glass

A- Pours black with clear red around the edges. A tall brown, tan thick head with good retention.

S- A big bitter roastyness up front. Some hoppyness. A bit of chocolate and toffee. A sweet milkiness like in a milk stout.

T- I get a bit of roastedness up front that leaves behind a roasty/smokey aftertaste. There is a bitterness to this beer that I cant quite put my finger on. There is some fruity qualities that believe it or not, remind me of banana bread. A very roasty beverage.

M- Goes down pretty smooth and creamy. It leaves behind a dry roasted aftertaste.

O- This is pretty good, much better then the watery stuff we get here in the US. I also dont think my bottle was that fresh so I was somewhat optimistic in my rating.

3.19/5  rDev -21.4%

Poured into my Surly pint glass. A deep dark black color, not many highlight other that the very small one I found at the bottom edge of the glass. It was a dark brown color. I can't see the carbonation bubbles but I know they are there because the head is a huge four fingers and a dark mocha color that is very velvety an luscious. The lace is beautiful and sticks in rings all the way to the end.

Smell is European yeast and soggy bread. There are some dark roasted coffee aromas that I can pull out but it is hard to get anything over the dank musty initial smell.

Taste so odd. There are some great dark roasted flavors that get interrupted by this terrible hop bitter. Let it be said that I don't mind some hop flavors in my Stout, but the choice of hop is not my top pick. I understand this is made in Dublin also. I'll stick to America, specifically West Coast.

The mouth is quite unlike the appearance. It does have the bubblyness but feels flat. A bit watery too.

Overall, I must say that I am an American and enjoy beer brewed on this side of the pond. I understand that Guinness is a well respected brand all over the world, I just don't care for this. I know there are a few variations and I will rate them individually as I try them. Thanks to my local purveyor for the sample.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.06/5  rDev 0%

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

4.12/5  rDev +1.5%

Recently tasted this on my wife and my recent trip to the Netherlands and Belgium. Tasted from bottle in the hotel room. Did not take detailed notes, so this is more impressions and comparison to the "regular" Guinness.

Pours a rich, deep dark black with a nice head that sticks around a while. Richer and fuller in nose and flavor than the regular, but with much of the same ashy, chalky flavor, but a bit more rounded. I preferred it to the regular, but my wife, who is fond of the regular, thought this one had too much alcohol in the nose and the flavor profile. I really liked it.

4.75/5  rDev +17%

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

Opaque in color topped by giant cappuccino head that clutches the edges of my glass. Aroma of cocoa, light roast, light cinnamon, cereal. Cocoa, cinnamon, echo of the booze with slight prune tang but not too much, roast and hops make an invited appearance and add great dryness/bitterness to counter that famed tang. Heavy body with light carbonation and a clean finish. The best Guinness I've had. Ready for day or night drinking.

12oz long neck.
A) Pours with a big head, tan in color and creamy. Opaque body with sticky, big bubbled lacing.
S) Bready with a sweet woodsy aroma. Notes of dark tree fruit - cherries, apple.
T) Roasted grains with a hint of coffee in the mix. Sweet caramel. Oak notes. Pleasant all the way through. The finish has a nice bitterness to it. There is a hint of a sour / brett-type tartness, again pleasant.
M) Dry. Full bodied. Tannin like feel in the finish.
D) A delicious brew. I would definitely have another!

1.5/5  rDev -63.1%

Guinness Foreign Extra Stout from Guinness Ltd.