Guinness Foreign Extra Stout | Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Foreign Extra StoutGuinness Foreign Extra Stout
4.06/5
Exceptional
Guinness Foreign Extra StoutGuinness Foreign Extra Stout

Guinness Ltd.
Ireland
guinness.com

Style: Foreign / Export Stout

Foreign Extra Stout is brewed with generous hops and roasted barley for a bittersweet balance and full-flavored, natural bite. Developed for global export from Ireland, the addition of extra hops ensured this Stout would arrive in perfect condition. Today it is enjoyed by millions around the world.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-30-2001

View: Beers
Ratings: 2,424 |  Reviews: 889
4.18/5  rDev +3%

Look: Black with brown rings around the edges. 1/2 mocha colored head and good retention nice lacing

Smell: Dark fruits plums and raisin. Coffee and bitter chocolate and roasted malts

Taste: Bitter chocolate and coffee upfront followed by roasted malt that almost seems burnt to me the flavors fade away as the beer finishes

Mouthfeel: Medium body and high levels of carbonation. Tingles the roof of the mouth a bit

Overall: Pretty good beer on all levels I really enjoyed this one since I didnt have to pay for it but if Im going to drink a guinness product I will just stick the draught version not this one

4.57/5  rDev +12.6%

A: Rocky mocha colored head. Spider web lacing. Pitch black. Cool.

S: Dark purple fruits, blueberry, currants, black cherry. Roast is there along with maple syrup, milk chocolate, vanilla, but the fruits dominate. Superb.

T: More dark fruits, along with a huge earthy bitter aftertaste. Mildly smokey with some roasted burnt toast malts.

M: Creamy, still a tad more light bodied than I prefer in a stout though.

O: Manages to be unique in the world of accessible stouts. A good one.

4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours an opaque black color with a massive 4 inch dark khaki head that fades to a thick puffy cap. Nice distinct rings of bubbly lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smells of roasted malt, vanilla, coffee, and chocolate. There is also a slight cola aroma on this one. Taste is of roasted malt and vanilla cola flavors. There is a chocolate covered coffee bean quality in the mouth as well. This beer has a good level of carbonation making for a crisp yet creamy mouthfeel. Overall, this is a very good stout from Guinness that is much better than their normal variety. This is my first of the style and I would definitely get this one again in the future.

3.11/5  rDev -23.4%

Acquired this from TheManiacalOne so a big THANK YOU goes out to him.
Poured in to a pint glass.

A: This beer pours an opaque deep chocolate brown, boardering on black. A two finger of creamy light brown head sits on top. Head recedes nicely to a film that retains throughout. Coated lacing remains on the glass.

S: Nose is sweet caramel and vanilla, some dark fruits - raisin and dates, and a bit of bitter chocolate.

T: Taste starts with sweet caramel, and vanilla flavoring. Middle is nothing but raisin, date, and a bit of fig notes. Finish has roastiness, bitter chocolate and a citrus hop.

M: Lighter side of medium body, moderate carbonation, somewhat thin and prickly on the tongue with a dry finish.

O: Goes down easily, somewhat tasty, not too filling, decent kick, ok representation of style. Overall, this was an average beer for me, one that I wouldn't seek out again.

2.43/5  rDev -40.1%

A- This brew pours a solid black body with absolutely no light shining through. Creamy off-white head with decent lacing along the glass.

S- Smells of vanilla, caramel malts, roasted coffee, and hints of chocolate. There is also a smell of earthy hops present. Not quite expected for the style.

T- Begins with the roasted coffee/chocolate characters and quickly changes into tangy, hoppy, sour mess. The sour is quite overbearing.

M- Quite pleasant. Very creamy and full. Very dry.

This is a quality brew, just not to my personal taste.

4.28/5  rDev +5.4%

Very impressive non-nitrogen created head. Leaves plenty of spotty lace. The liquid is near black where no light shines through.

Dark chocolate aroma with a touch of caramel. Mildly sweet and a dab of chalkiness.

Burnt malt flavor with a creamy swallow. Very much like an iced coffee without sugar. I think I detect some alcohol warmth. Not harsh, but still very bitter from the deeply toasted malts.

3.9/5  rDev -3.9%

Bottle date: unk

One in a three part Guinness-off

A: Pours a dark, nearly black-brown ale with a three finger head of mocha color and loose meringue quality. This falls to a thick quilt of the same leaving spotty lacing.

S: Vanilla, clove, sweet and dark malts, maple, brown sugar, hints of cinnamon and butter. This has the best nose of the three IMO. Complex and nearly like a Dubbel.

T: Roasty, toasty and leaps and bounds ahead of the other two offerings from Guinness. This beer is yummy. Caramel, toasted bread, hints of bitter hops, nicely integrated hazelnut flavors. Finish is long and strong with the flavors.

M: Medium body with low carb. Dry finish. Nothing special here.

O: By far my favorite of the Guinness offerings here in the states. I dig it. Well balanced, great nose and flavor.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

A - Dark, very dark ebony in colour, 1 finger creamy-head, yet of a different texture to its draught brethren.

S - Dark brown sugar, dark chocolate, caramel, bitter espresso, sweet warm milk.

T - Truffle, black chocolate with a bitter edge, coffee, malts, maybe some dark fruits, a little and by no means overpowering tinge of alcohol. Nice bitter-sweet creaminess which should be savoured on the taste-buds.

MF - Creamy, slick and not at all heavy (which should quash the Guinness and its 'heaviness' myth), has the consistency of sweet coffee-flavoured milk!

O - Fantastic stout, the best formulation of the Guinness brand to be sure, do not hesitate to pick it up, and a few at that!

3.57/5  rDev -12.1%

I dunno about this one, I was very excited to try it...maybe too excited. Finally saw this in a bar(d.b.a., Wmsburg) so I grabbed one out of excitement. Pours looking like a nice heavy stout, the head falls quickly. What I'm getting from this is an amplified Guinness Extra Stout. Stronger roasted flavor, which adds a bit of acidity and bitterness, like a dark coffee. Like the 'standard' Guinness I'm finding it with not enough body, especially for the high ABV. The beer isn't bad, but you won't find me paying $9 for it again.

4.47/5  rDev +10.1%

Poured from a 111.2 oz bottle w/ no bottling date or best by date into a tulip glass. Pours out like motor oil & almost midnight black. A nice rocky tan head w/ some pretty damn decent lacing develops. The bubbles are small & very tightly packed on the bottom rising up to mountains of bubbles on the top that range from medium to large. The nose bring DARK chocolate & roasted malt. Some black licorice too. That acidic bite of a stout is present in the nose too.

It goes down like a Guinness on steroids. This is how I thought Guinness would taste like when I first drank their stout. First out the gate is the bite from the hops. Roasted/chocolate malts are very aggressive. Has a thick mouthfeel too as it warms up. I'm really picking up that long aftertaste of a stout & that espresso bite. Coffeeish but this is more like burnt dark chocolate. Quite bitter from the generous hopping. If I were Irish, I'd be mighty proud of this beer!

Overall, this is one damn fine beer. After this, I don't think I'll really ever enjoy a regular Guinness. This is the aggressiveness I've come to enjoy in a beer. It's right up front w/ the nose, almost enveloping the area you are in. Then comes the burnt chocolate & roasted malt. Follow this up w/ the bitterness from the hops & that unmistakable Stout bite makes this a beer to go back to. Very good. I could see myself drinking several of these in a sitting. Would pair nicely w/ a wide range of foods as well. Prosit!

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

This one poured out as a very dark brown color. The head was creamy and thick looking. The lacing on the glass was quite impressive, leaves plenty of suds down the glass. The smell of the beer seems to have a bit more of a hop presence that isn't usually common from Guinness. The other aromas consist of some chocolate and some really burnt toast. The taste is very dry and bitter, there is a light amount of creaminess but it's got more bite than most other products from St. James. The mouthfeel isn't overly heavy, I felt that it wasn't nearly as heavy as some stouts out there. The body was a bit thicker than the normal extra stout they make. Overall I found this stout to be pretty enjoyable from start to finish. I would enjoy having this one again.

3.19/5  rDev -21.4%

Poured into my Surly pint glass. A deep dark black color, not many highlight other that the very small one I found at the bottom edge of the glass. It was a dark brown color. I can't see the carbonation bubbles but I know they are there because the head is a huge four fingers and a dark mocha color that is very velvety an luscious. The lace is beautiful and sticks in rings all the way to the end.

Smell is European yeast and soggy bread. There are some dark roasted coffee aromas that I can pull out but it is hard to get anything over the dank musty initial smell.

Taste so odd. There are some great dark roasted flavors that get interrupted by this terrible hop bitter. Let it be said that I don't mind some hop flavors in my Stout, but the choice of hop is not my top pick. I understand this is made in Dublin also. I'll stick to America, specifically West Coast.

The mouth is quite unlike the appearance. It does have the bubblyness but feels flat. A bit watery too.

Overall, I must say that I am an American and enjoy beer brewed on this side of the pond. I understand that Guinness is a well respected brand all over the world, I just don't care for this. I know there are a few variations and I will rate them individually as I try them. Thanks to my local purveyor for the sample.

3.33/5  rDev -18%

Bought a bottle at a bar in Dupont.

Appearance: This is a DARK beer -- brown-black and totally opaque. Light tan head that pours big. Lots of lacing.

Smell: The only Guinness I've tried where hops dominates the malt. A light roastiness follows.

Taste: I was a little disappointed. The characteristic coffee malt was hidden by grassy hops. I could tell there was underlying flavor, but I really struggled to get past the herbal taste. Aftertaste was strangely sweet. The booze, however, is well-disguised.

Mouthfeel: Mild carbonation and medium-bodied. There's a clean finish that may come from the extra booze. It's a pretty warm finish.

Overall: Not your average Guinness. If you want extra kick, this is your beer. If you're looking for the creamy coffee malt to appear more, go with the Draught or regular Extra Stout.

3.99/5  rDev -1.7%

Pours a pitch black color with a dense, solid, foamy head with excellent retention and lacing.

Smells of roasted grains and malt. Dark, bitter chocolate. English sour pale malt.

Flavor is similar to Guinness (standard), but with the appropriate "Extra". It has that slightly sourness that Guinness and many English beers have from their malt. A touch of alcohol.

Smooth mouth like Guinness, but a little less due the little alcohol zip. A little creamy and low carb. Not sure if it has less maltodextrine, or the extra alcohol kind of nullifies its presence.

I've always been a Guinness fan. In a good way, it's like the Pepto Bismal of beer. If my stomach has been screwed up, I can always still drink with the group if I'm drinking Guinness. This beer is a little more full bodied and flavored with the alcohol desired. I'd probably get this every time over regular Guinness unless I didn't feel well. This is a great beer. Better than expected.

4.23/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured in standard pint glass, review from notes.

A: Jet black with caramel head thick and creamy.

S: Roasted grains and barley. Chocolate malt.

T: Chocolate with roasted barley and grains. Bittersweet and smooth.

M: Creamy smooth and well carbonated.

4.41/5  rDev +8.6%

Pours a nice pitch-opaque with luscious light caramel/brownish/dark tan head, about a fist thick. NIIICCCEEE. Thick, bubbly and creamy, very nice retention. Good sticky lines of lacing.

Good dose of toasted grains/barley, and alcohol. Very noticeable grainy alcohol presence, almost sulfur-like. Mmmm...

Pleasant mouthful of toasted grainy barley, alky presence and very nice hop bite. Smooth, silky sweet yet bittered with a nice hop kick, which is a big plus. The rubbing alcoholish alcohol presence is noticeable here as well. Pretty solid medium to slightly thick body, with fairly high carbonation. Very good.

By far the best Guinness of any style/kind I've had. The hop bite due to the extra hops used is an added welcome and big plus. I'm so glad it finally made it here in my area, hopefully it stays and can get more. This is what the other Guinness brews should be.

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours nice and dark with a pretty brown head which leaves a nice lace on the glass. Smell is roasty malt with some sweetness. Has a smell similar that signature smell of Guinness Draught. Taste is malty bitterness, black coffee, and a bit of alcohol sweetness. Sweeter than Guinness Draught and Extra Stout with a more pronounced alcohol bite, but has that familiar Guinness roasty malt flavor. I prefer Guinness Extra Stout but this is not bad at all.

3.21/5  rDev -20.9%

A- Pours a deep black color with a nice tan head. Nice head retention as well
S- Caramel, oats, chocolate and a slight olive aroma from the yeast (same yeast smell from original guinness)
T- Roasted malt comes through with more of the olive flavor, and finishes with a sweet caramel/chocolate flavor.
M- Rich body, but not real heavy, with average carbonation. Much more drinkable than I would have anticipated
O- I think it is a nice spin on the original guinness. The extra hops give the beer a little twist. I like the original guinness so I think this is a nice addition. By no means do I think it's ground breaking, but I could still drink a few

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

pours a deep dark black with a huge foamy tan head.

smells sweet and cocoa like with some dark coffee notes. no real hop presence but a distinct bread like yeast nose.

lots of chocolate and sweet coffee in the flavor. and a distinct bitter finish, a bit closer to a piny hop taste. more bread like yeast flavor.

slightly dry mouthfeel, but a very sweet aftertaste. light bodied and slightly creamy with a lot of residual foam.

very drinkable, not filling and extremely palatable.

overall its a really good take on the traditional guiness. not very complex but i like what is going on.

4.27/5  rDev +5.2%

I nearly fell over at Luke's Liquors when I saw this on the shelf. Suffice it to say I grabbed a four pack. Appearance was good, but I expected more. Only a slight head, and not the milky froth I desired, most likely a result of the bottling.

Smells of dark malt, and roasted grains, slightly sweet with hints of coffee. Very raw in the nose.

Taste is what I have always desired of regular Guiness Draught, that same creamy texture, with dry hop flavor, but kicked up several notches. Hints of sweet chocolate, and roasted malt flavors. Higher ABV warms the throat as you drink and is welcomed to the mix.

Like this a lot, why is this not on tap in every bar in Boston? Time to start a revolution.

4.1/5  rDev +1%

A: Aggressive pour yields 2 fingers of pillowy dark tan head with stellar retention. Very dark brown/black liquid is not quite opaque. Very close to perfect.

S: Clean Euro-hop, coffee, chocolate, roasted grain, biscuit. Quite nice! Diverse and pleasant aroma.

T: Alcohol bouquet opens strong. Bitter roastiness comes through halfway in. Could use more body to balance hops/harshness.

M: A bit harsh and astringent. Dry; gin-like in bitterness. A bit sharply astringent maybe.

D: Pretty unique. Much better than "normal" Guinness. Much more assertive. I'd order another and buy again, but maybe not 6.

4.16/5  rDev +2.5%

I don't care what anyone says, I love Guinness and it really started me liking beers and introduced me to craft beers.

The appearance is like no other. The cascading effect is a work of art, truly to be witnessed. Dark black, solid head that never dissipates.

Smell is roasted coffee and dark bitter chocolate.

Taste has a bitter aftertaste. Dark chocolate that reminds me of easter for some reason (?), burnt coffee. Great flavor!

Mouthfeel to me is perfect. Smooth smooth smooth, goes down super easy. If served slightly warmed (not straight from the fridge) it's perfect.

Overall, definitely one of my favorite stouts. Easy to get on tap everywhere. I don't care if this is considered
"stout lite", this is my go-to when I don't see a great variety at a bar and I love it!

2.64/5  rDev -35%

Gigantic tan head that stays forever. Jet black beer, can't see through it at all, even when held up to light.

Smells malty, a little sour smell liked mashed grain left to ferment. I'm not particularly fond of the smell - though I don't dislike it that much.

That slight sourness stays through in the taste. It's a slight, but noticeable difference from most stouts. This also isn't as bitter as most stouts. The "roasted" flavor isn't as dominant as I'd expect. It might be that the extra hops are balancing things out more than in other Guinness.

I wouldn't have another. It's unique, can't recall another stout like this, but it's just not my cup of tea.

4.06/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours from the 11.2 oz bottle an extremely dark brown (almost black) color with a giant, thick, foamy tan head that conjures up images of a root beer float. Can only guess at the carbonation level at this point, since there's no seeing through the darkness. Aroma is of dark unsweetened chocolate & black coffee, but it's surprisingly and somewhat disappointingly faint. 1st sip brings a smooth, creamy gift of the aforementioned chocolate and coffee, with a dose of heavily roasted (almost "burnt") malt. there's also a hint of smokiness with a heavy dose of hops bitterness on the back end that lingers on the swallow. Mouthfeel is smooth and robust without being overly heavy. Overall, a beer that is well worthy of its legendary status.

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured from an 11.2 fl oz bottle into a pint glass. 26/06/11.

Appearance: Pours that good old black oil body with a HUGE toffee-colored head. This will not fit in my pint glass - need to back off a bit. Head is thick, soapy and bready. Lot's of thick lacing.

Smell: I noticed that sharp roasted malt smell of Guinness Extra Stout that took me back to my college days as soon as I opened the bottle. That smell was never the same in a Guinness Draft - I'm glad it's here in the Foreign Extra Stout. Slightly sweet alcohol smell.

Taste: A lot more sweet chocolately and toffee-flavored than Guinness Extra Stout. I am trying to taste the "extra hops" that are mentioned on the label, but I only taste the overpowering bitterness of the roasted malts. Can definitely taste the warming from the extra alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Thick, but not as thick or creamy as a Guinness Draft. Little carbonation as expected. This is a macho stout!

Overall: Quite the break from the ordinary. Certainly the beer for you if you're looking to "turbo" your regular Guinness experience...

Guinness Foreign Extra Stout from Guinness Ltd.
Beer rating: 4.06 out of 5 with 2,424 ratings