Guinness Draught | Guinness Ltd.

Read the review

Style: Irish Dry Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

Reviews: 2,222 | Ratings: 7,495
3.93/5  rDev +13.6%

Probably my go-to stout due to the availability and easy drinkability compared to some of my other stouts.

L: Looks wonderful and pours great from a can.

S: I like the smell, but some find it to not smell very good

T: Easily drinkable. Not as heavy as some other stouts that I have had, such as Dragon's Milk.

F: A little thin and dry, but doesn't bother me personally.

Overall, this is a great beer, and I would definitely recommend it for those that are just getting in to stouts.

3.95/5  rDev +14.2%

L-Dark brown colored..

S-Roasted barley, light coffee, cola

T-Roasted barley, dark unsweetened chocolate, light coffee

F-Light bodied....thinnish....finishes slightly dry

O-Hits the mark for a dry stout. Nice light drinking beer with flavor. Sure beats a Bud light with only 15 more calories.

3.91/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 15 oz can,into a Guinness beer mug.

Beautiful cascade lasts about 30 seconds before turning into a thick,creamy,off white,1 finger head.Jet black in color,with some dark brown hues around the bottom of the glass.

On the nose I get coffee,chocolate,toffee,and some hints of dark roasted malt notes.

The palate follows the nose with coffee,chocolate,toffee,and dark roasted malts.

The body is medium with a smooth finish.

My only complaint is the body is a little thin,other than that,this is a decent stout...Don't care what the beer snobs say.

4.09/5  rDev +18.2%

An old favorite of mine.
Beautiful pour, from the surge to the finished product. When held to light it's a deep ruby at the bottom that just gets darker as you look further up the glass. The creamy, perfectly smooth looking head draws a perfect even line between it and the beer itself. I usually spend a few minutes just staring at it before I drink it. It tastes of a delicious roasted barley, along with some malts... Followed by a roasted, dry aftertaste. It feels smooth and creamy. From the time I took my first sip of it several years ago, I loved it. I still do. When it comes to stouts, this is my benchmark.

3.32/5  rDev -4%

I used to drink this regularly so it was interesting to go back to it after several years.
A: Guiness always looks great with the the Nitro cascade in the glass
S: Not a great impression
T: I fount the high maltiness and the relatively low roasted notes a little disappointing.
M: Creamy nitro mouthfeel as I remember it.
O: Overall still a beer I would drink, but now only if the beer list is short!

4.94/5  rDev +42.8%

Okay the look a great black beer with a very light brown head sometimes I've had heads from the tap that are at least 3 fingers I pick up notes of maltiness a touch of coffeeish chocolatey notes under neath the malt notes typically I can pick up a touch of a toasty brain note on 1 that's not super cold (preferential in my opinion actually on this one) the taste wonderful a nice malty lightly bittered coffee notes bready for the most part , mouthfeel it's great creamy yet lighter bodied than an extra stout but still well bodied and smooth and overall definitely an amazing beer top notch in my opinion

3.77/5  rDev +9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Figured I would wait until visiting the Guinness storehouse in Dublin before reviewing a beer I have drank for many years, man and boy. A pour in their onsite pub is a memorable one - and you know it isn't one of their overseas brewed replicated versions that seem to make it across the world. First things first - this is a great looking beer, the famous dark ruby red undertones balancing the initial deep black/brown. Mouthfeel is creamy yet light - more watery than you'd expect? Possibly but this is a true session stout. Bready notes and coffee come through alhough the flavor profile is light. There isn't a lot of complexity. Taken for what it is, this remains a classic of the macro brew world.

3.08/5  rDev -11%

Poured from a widget can into a pint glass.
Look: Dark black with cola-colored hues at the edges. Insanely stiff and creamy head. Like a Cool-Whip barrier.
Smell: Faintly dark roasted malts and minerals.
Taste: Mildly roasty. Not charred, but a little astringent. Some floral/herby bitterness and a lingering sweetness on the back of the tongue.
Feel: At first, super creamy from that ridiculous head. But that wears off. You are left with a nearly water-like, bubble-less thin beverage. Dry.

4.09/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L- after inspection, it's a dark brownish red beer with a dark tan head.
S- has a mild malt smell to it.
T and F- like smell, the mild malt taste is present. I also taste slight chocolate notes to it. Easy to drink. One of the smoother Stouts out there.

Overall, well made beer. What you think, when it comes too an Irish Dry Stout.

All other ratings are lies. This is the world's most perfect beer. Judging a Guinness is impossible unless you have it within the borders of Ireland. When you see the dark black foam of a nitro poured drink, you salivate. It is so decadent, you can smell the creamy goodness of this beverage. When you finally taste this beer, you understand what Nirvana is. The feel of this drink in your mouth, when perfectly poured and sipped, is unmatched by any other beverage! -Never settle.

3.52/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My last can from the 8-pack I picked up a while back. Canning date is a mysterious code on the bottom, including the number 188, which I can only assume means that this can is around 6 months old. Not too worried about age being an issue, though.

It looks like... well, Guinness. Take a look at the picture on the beer's profile page, it's like that except the head of foam on top may be just a tad darker tan. At a glance seems to be almost pitch-black, but a closer look shows some dark red-brown around the edges and my LED flashlight can penetrate a bit in the thinner parts of the glass (in the thicker ones I just get a circle of red dots barely visible on the other side.) The only downside of the appearance is that some big weird bubbles tend to form in the foam during the pouring, but that's probably down to me pouring from that big ol' can rather than any fault of the beer itself.

Smell is pretty faint, but what's there is pleasant -- definitely dark, roasty malt. I noticed it more while pouring, but it's very faint now that it's settled into the glass.

Taste is also mild, but not nearly as much as the smell. There's slightly-sweet roastiness that sort of gives a very faint almost-chocolate impression at times, but there's a bit more going on too, maybe an ashy/char sort of thing and something with a slightly sourish taste -- seems like a similar blend of flavors to what you get from this beer's "big brother" Guinness Extra Stout, but all-around milder and harder to distinguish. Considering the ABV and calorie count in this stuff though, this is essentially a "light" beer, and when compared to other light beers it's great stuff... even if it may fall short of a lot of the other stouts and porters out there.

I'm torn on the mouthfeel here. It seems like nitro is a weird thing in that area, especially with beers that are a lot lighter to begin with (and again, at 4.2% ABV and something like 110 calories this is very light!) It looks amazing, and the first couple of sips when the foam on top is still really thick (it never really goes away, but some of it does end up getting drank along with the liquid portion of the beer as time passes) are really nice. After that, though, things go in a direction that's a little more... watery. It never gets to a point when the mouthfeel is so thin as to be unpleasant, though, and the flavor and mouthfeel compliment each other (bigger gulps = more flavor, and it's so light that you end up taking big gulps very easily), so I kinda have to lean toward the mouthfeel being more of a positive overall.

Overall, a great-looking beer that's also decent-tasting and always reliable and easy to find just about anywhere. It's essentially a light beer for people who like dark beer, and certainly a much better choice than anything actually marketed as "light!"

1.12/5  rDev -67.6%

Wha tha..high cost, they knock it down to 11.2 oz to save..? a few pennies?? And the taste is a joke, if you have had real guinness. What are they doing? Adding 50% water? guinness marketing thinks US does not know the difference apparently. not buying another guinness, at a bar, pub, market, home or abroad.

Thanks Guinness.

Guinness Draught is without a doubt my favorite beer of all time. I have tried other draughts and none have been able to achieve the high level of Guinness for me. The color, smell, taste, smoothness, head, everything is perfect. This is the kind of beer I like to enjoy while relaxing at home. A+ all around.

3.46/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap. Pours black with a two finger tan head that lingers and leaves lacing all the way down the glass. Nose of roasted grain. Taste follows nose with roasted malt and a dash of chocolate. Creamy, full body and low carbonation.
The ultimate magazine cover beer. It takes the prettiest picture but falls short of the appearance rating everywhere else. I imagine it's better in Ireland than US, but as I have only had the US version, I'd say it's currently overrated.

3.24/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

It has a very strong malt flavour, which is basically the only thing I dislike about it. I love that it is full-bodied, very smooth, has a slight caramel flavour, and has low carbonation. The malt flavour entirely overpowers any flavour of the hops.

4.31/5  rDev +24.6%

Poured from a 14.9oz widget can into a pint glass. Pours a lovely ruby brown color and produces a whopping 2-3 finger head. It also has that nitro can fizziness that settles into an almost jet black color. The smell is very faint. Hardly any scent. The taste....wahohoho....wow. Such an awesome flavor for a massively brewed stout. Loads of smokey charred coffee with hints of bitter chocolate. Such an initial taste. Once it settles there definitely a strong hoppy bitterness, but in a good way. I'm so blown away by how good this is. Mouthfeel is a hair thin, but very smooth and light velvety. Like a thin eggnog... I was expecting a loser, but golly this is wondeful. I recommend this to anyone looking for a beer with a nice resonate flavors. For price, taste, availability this is a winner. It's goddamn electric.

4.6/5  rDev +32.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Black with thick, beige head. Smells of fresh, sharp, and sweet malts. Hints of bright chocolate. The taste is luscious, with flavors of chocolate, black olives, coffee, and toffee; yet, every taste is subtle and restrained. Mouthfeel is phenomenal. Smooth, creamy and easy to drink. Arguably the best mass produced beer.

3.59/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

From notes taken 08/17/16:

On pour, what is normally opaque and nearly black appears a cola brown due to activity of fine nitrous bubbles. Soon settles to a darker brown, light seen through only near the edges. Less aggressive and smaller head when served chilled it seems. This was a 14.9 ounce can, but I couldn’t make it to the top of the 16 ounce glass, something I can usually even do with a 12 ounce bottle. One finger, thick filmy foam, biscuity brown, excellent retention. Smells like black olives, but could pass for sweet roastiness, toastiness, and even breadiness. Flavor is also less distinct when chilled, so I will let it warm a bit before continuing review. For now, suffice it to say, I detect smoky tart and almost metallic notes throughout, strongest up front, with faintest toffee and then burnt toast as it finishes. Mouthfeel comes as no surprise. Full and soupy but not quite syrupy thanks to nitro, smooth and barely tingly with extra fine carbonation. Mild astringency, was expecting more.

1.65/5  rDev -52.3%

I have used this site for a few years now to see what other opinions are for beers that I try (though I often can't find the beers because I drink a good deal of craft and micro-brew beers), and this is the first time I've gone to the extent of creating an account to give my two cents. My opinion is this: This is a ridiculously over-rated beer. It looks absolutely incredible, but the old saying "don't judge a book by its cover" could not be more true here, just in the reverse manner that is usually used. After the initial appearance, only disappointment follows with this beer. The ABV makes it a good session beer, but if I'm looking for a lower ABV sessioner, I would take most gose, a low ABV saison, or a dunkelweizen over this sorry excuse of a stout any day. Hell, I may even take a pilsner over this stuff.
That being said, I'm more of an IPA guy, so that could be why I find this beer to be so dull and flavourless. It has a decent, subtle coffee flavour to it, but I just can't see why so many people are diehard about this stuff...

3.66/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I cannot believe how many times I have had this beer without reviewing it. There is nothing quite like the look of Guinness when poured properly, the cascade effect is beautiful. Smells of roasted malts, coffee and caramel. Tastes of roasted malts, coffee, dark chocolate, caramel and a hint of milk sweetness. Smooth and creamy mouth feel, a bit light bodied for a stout, but a solid beer none the less.

3.71/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

From the can, the taste isn't apparent when it hits the tongue, but after a few seconds in the mouth, it has a mild, dark but ever-so-slightly pungent flavor. That flavor lingers on the tongue after swallowing the beer.

If you have class you'll like this beer. When i had my first sip it hit me like a ton of chocolate bricks. Sweet yet its not overbearing like starbucks pos coffee. Damn if i had to choose between stopping a Guinness truck from going over a cliff, or going to my first job interview in 6 years, sorry Costco some things are more important. I'd traverse through the desert to get one sip. I'd pick a fight with Shaqs dick just to sniff this beer from 100 yards away. Got almighty you people haven't lived. YOU HAVEN'T LIVED. Big pepperoni out.

3.56/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pour is a rich black with very nice white foamy head. Smells of malt, coffee, and some caramel notes. Taste is a creamy mix of malty milk with a little fizzy feel, mixed in are some hints of coffee and maybe some bitter chocolate. The finish is very crisp and smooth, an all around good beer with no alcohol bite at all. I really enjoy this beer on draft and when very cold.

Guinness Draught from the 14.9 ounce can with a widget, 4.2% ABV.
Look: Pitch black with a light tan head. There is a one inch head with lots of lacing left in the glass.
Smell: bready, malts, earth, roasty, ash. I can't say that the smell of Guinness is that appealing, but everything else outweighs the need for a fresh scent.
Taste: The widget in the can gives the beer such a milky, silky texture that it is velvety smooth. Coffee, chocolate, bitter roasty middle and finish. The bitter aftertaste is there if you keep having more guinness.
Feel: very light considering that most regular beer drinkers think of it as the oatbran of beers. It has the silky, milky texture because of the nitro widget.
Overall: I have had this beer more than any other beer in my life. It has always been a favorite of mine and will continue to be the best of the best. You just can't go wrong with a guinness. It's the beer that you order if you don't know anything else at the bar. You can count on it unless the bar does not clean out there taps, or does not throw out extremely old beer. I love that on the can it has a list of the carbs, protein, calories and fat in the beer. I had to re-visit it and it has been a long time. Don't get it from the bottle. It is really best on a nitro tap, but the cans really are almost as good. It still has that milkyness to it. I don't care what anyone says this is the best stout ever and it has all of this flavor at 4.2%, amazing!

3.58/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pitch black. Thick creamy lasting head.
Aroma of malt and toffee.
Taste is sweet, malty, coffee. Minimal chocolate.
Mouthfeel is thin and watery.
Okay stout when on tap in the Irish pub setting.

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.