Guinness Draught | Guinness Ltd.

Read the review

Style: Irish Dry Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

Reviews: 2,211 | Ratings: 7,453
1.12/5  rDev -67.5%

Wha tha..high cost, they knock it down to 11.2 oz to save..? a few pennies?? And the taste is a joke, if you have had real guinness. What are they doing? Adding 50% water? guinness marketing thinks US does not know the difference apparently. not buying another guinness, at a bar, pub, market, home or abroad.

Thanks Guinness.

Guinness Draught is without a doubt my favorite beer of all time. I have tried other draughts and none have been able to achieve the high level of Guinness for me. The color, smell, taste, smoothness, head, everything is perfect. This is the kind of beer I like to enjoy while relaxing at home. A+ all around.

3.46/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap. Pours black with a two finger tan head that lingers and leaves lacing all the way down the glass. Nose of roasted grain. Taste follows nose with roasted malt and a dash of chocolate. Creamy, full body and low carbonation.
The ultimate magazine cover beer. It takes the prettiest picture but falls short of the appearance rating everywhere else. I imagine it's better in Ireland than US, but as I have only had the US version, I'd say it's currently overrated.

3.24/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

It has a very strong malt flavour, which is basically the only thing I dislike about it. I love that it is full-bodied, very smooth, has a slight caramel flavour, and has low carbonation. The malt flavour entirely overpowers any flavour of the hops.

4.31/5  rDev +24.9%

Poured from a 14.9oz widget can into a pint glass. Pours a lovely ruby brown color and produces a whopping 2-3 finger head. It also has that nitro can fizziness that settles into an almost jet black color. The smell is very faint. Hardly any scent. The taste....wahohoho....wow. Such an awesome flavor for a massively brewed stout. Loads of smokey charred coffee with hints of bitter chocolate. Such an initial taste. Once it settles there definitely a strong hoppy bitterness, but in a good way. I'm so blown away by how good this is. Mouthfeel is a hair thin, but very smooth and light velvety. Like a thin eggnog... I was expecting a loser, but golly this is wondeful. I recommend this to anyone looking for a beer with a nice resonate flavors. For price, taste, availability this is a winner. It's goddamn electric.

4.6/5  rDev +33.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Black with thick, beige head. Smells of fresh, sharp, and sweet malts. Hints of bright chocolate. The taste is luscious, with flavors of chocolate, black olives, coffee, and toffee; yet, every taste is subtle and restrained. Mouthfeel is phenomenal. Smooth, creamy and easy to drink. Arguably the best mass produced beer.

3.59/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

From notes taken 08/17/16:

On pour, what is normally opaque and nearly black appears a cola brown due to activity of fine nitrous bubbles. Soon settles to a darker brown, light seen through only near the edges. Less aggressive and smaller head when served chilled it seems. This was a 14.9 ounce can, but I couldn’t make it to the top of the 16 ounce glass, something I can usually even do with a 12 ounce bottle. One finger, thick filmy foam, biscuity brown, excellent retention. Smells like black olives, but could pass for sweet roastiness, toastiness, and even breadiness. Flavor is also less distinct when chilled, so I will let it warm a bit before continuing review. For now, suffice it to say, I detect smoky tart and almost metallic notes throughout, strongest up front, with faintest toffee and then burnt toast as it finishes. Mouthfeel comes as no surprise. Full and soupy but not quite syrupy thanks to nitro, smooth and barely tingly with extra fine carbonation. Mild astringency, was expecting more.

1.65/5  rDev -52.2%

I have used this site for a few years now to see what other opinions are for beers that I try (though I often can't find the beers because I drink a good deal of craft and micro-brew beers), and this is the first time I've gone to the extent of creating an account to give my two cents. My opinion is this: This is a ridiculously over-rated beer. It looks absolutely incredible, but the old saying "don't judge a book by its cover" could not be more true here, just in the reverse manner that is usually used. After the initial appearance, only disappointment follows with this beer. The ABV makes it a good session beer, but if I'm looking for a lower ABV sessioner, I would take most gose, a low ABV saison, or a dunkelweizen over this sorry excuse of a stout any day. Hell, I may even take a pilsner over this stuff.
That being said, I'm more of an IPA guy, so that could be why I find this beer to be so dull and flavourless. It has a decent, subtle coffee flavour to it, but I just can't see why so many people are diehard about this stuff...

3.66/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I cannot believe how many times I have had this beer without reviewing it. There is nothing quite like the look of Guinness when poured properly, the cascade effect is beautiful. Smells of roasted malts, coffee and caramel. Tastes of roasted malts, coffee, dark chocolate, caramel and a hint of milk sweetness. Smooth and creamy mouth feel, a bit light bodied for a stout, but a solid beer none the less.

3.71/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

From the can, the taste isn't apparent when it hits the tongue, but after a few seconds in the mouth, it has a mild, dark but ever-so-slightly pungent flavor. That flavor lingers on the tongue after swallowing the beer.

If you have class you'll like this beer. When i had my first sip it hit me like a ton of chocolate bricks. Sweet yet its not overbearing like starbucks pos coffee. Damn if i had to choose between stopping a Guinness truck from going over a cliff, or going to my first job interview in 6 years, sorry Costco some things are more important. I'd traverse through the desert to get one sip. I'd pick a fight with Shaqs dick just to sniff this beer from 100 yards away. Got almighty you people haven't lived. YOU HAVEN'T LIVED. Big pepperoni out.

3.56/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pour is a rich black with very nice white foamy head. Smells of malt, coffee, and some caramel notes. Taste is a creamy mix of malty milk with a little fizzy feel, mixed in are some hints of coffee and maybe some bitter chocolate. The finish is very crisp and smooth, an all around good beer with no alcohol bite at all. I really enjoy this beer on draft and when very cold.

Guinness Draught from the 14.9 ounce can with a widget, 4.2% ABV.
Look: Pitch black with a light tan head. There is a one inch head with lots of lacing left in the glass.
Smell: bready, malts, earth, roasty, ash. I can't say that the smell of Guinness is that appealing, but everything else outweighs the need for a fresh scent.
Taste: The widget in the can gives the beer such a milky, silky texture that it is velvety smooth. Coffee, chocolate, bitter roasty middle and finish. The bitter aftertaste is there if you keep having more guinness.
Feel: very light considering that most regular beer drinkers think of it as the oatbran of beers. It has the silky, milky texture because of the nitro widget.
Overall: I have had this beer more than any other beer in my life. It has always been a favorite of mine and will continue to be the best of the best. You just can't go wrong with a guinness. It's the beer that you order if you don't know anything else at the bar. You can count on it unless the bar does not clean out there taps, or does not throw out extremely old beer. I love that on the can it has a list of the carbs, protein, calories and fat in the beer. I had to re-visit it and it has been a long time. Don't get it from the bottle. It is really best on a nitro tap, but the cans really are almost as good. It still has that milkyness to it. I don't care what anyone says this is the best stout ever and it has all of this flavor at 4.2%, amazing!

3.58/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pitch black. Thick creamy lasting head.
Aroma of malt and toffee.
Taste is sweet, malty, coffee. Minimal chocolate.
Mouthfeel is thin and watery.
Okay stout when on tap in the Irish pub setting.

3.47/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Dark coffee-like color. Got a great beer smell initially. "Stout" I suppose but not nearly as strong as some people say. Drinkable - but significantly better in the beginning then tends to trail off and I get a bit tired of it.

4.21/5  rDev +22%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I know it's a mass-produced product from a large scale brewery, but when I'm at a bar with a limited selection of anything but traditional Hoppy brews or IPA's, I'll always ask if they have Guinness. Have had via can more often than tap, but I like the widget in the can that helps release CO2 to help mimic a tap pour.

Love the darker color; always enjoy that first sip that doesn't give me the bitter stun of a high hop brew. Good creamy mouth feel without being overly carbonated; taste is malty with hint of coffee/caramel.

4.05/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours wonderfully (if done correctly). Great color and nice foam head. Taste is smooth and has a nice coffee, nutty flavor. Not overwhelming and can be drank by the barrels!!!

3.44/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Hadn't had this in many years, so I though I'd give it a go at the pub today since there were not other good selections (wasn't my choice of pubs). Pour is lovely as you'd expect...blackness with a creamy head that can't die. Nose is muted and almost non-existent. However, some of the blame goes to the pub for serving it so damn cold. On the other hand, Guinness puts "serve extra cold" on the stupid tap, so I guess you have to blame them as well. Anyway, very light coffee and roasted black malts, but not much. Flavor is similar. Light coffee and roasted notes and on the watery side. Not much of a beer really unless you want to pound stouts all night.

3.1/5  rDev -10.1%

A masterful appearance, solid cascading mixture, tan head stands resolute at a full inch mast. Aroma is kind of muted though for its rad appearance. Thought you'd be able to pull roast out of it.

The taste reveals a very easy drinking stout, thin body, low roast and almost no hops. Watery feel. Carbonation low despite seeming ample when poured. Creamy feels, this is usually the stuff drank by the heavier alterna sport guys.

It truly is a lovely day for a Guinness. I agree with those who love it and why. Guinness has character and I have found that most people who enjoy it have character also. There are other Stouts...now. But the progenitor comes from Dublin.

The best beer on the planet. The only stout you will ever need. All others will try to be like it and will fail. The perfect head and body that goes perfect with its own special glass. Smooth like water with a perfect coffee flavor in the back. If I was only allowed to drink one beer for the rest of my life, I wouldn't even have to think about it. Guinness for life.

4.78/5  rDev +38.6%

Guinness is my go to beer. Tried hundreds of others but this is my favorite. For me it's a perfect beer. I'm tired of crap IPAs and craft beers. Stick with a winner. Drink Guinness.

2.57/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.5

Beer lovers overate this beer. Looks great taste is average coffee like feels very flat despite its large head. OK beer that I'll more than likely never buy again

3.44/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Tackling the stout icon.

It pours black, with a medium-thick (2.5cm) off-white head with tight bubbles. It lasts an extremely long time, but with no lacing left behind. The look is perhaps the best aspect of this brew. Just iconic with its head formation and retention. The aroma is so-so, with notes of lactose, and roasted malts peaking through. It is incredibly mellow. The flavor profile is watery, and thinned out with notes of roasted malts and lactose poking through a thin exterior. It leaves a lot to be desired. Mouth feel is thin, watery, and otherwise lacking - especially for a stout. Overall, it's an icon, and is easy to pound, but doesn't have the tasty, depth characteristics of a better rounded beer.

Served in a 12oz snifter.

Call me a bit biased because of my heritage, but I love Guinness. This is my go to beer. It is the first one that made me understand the flavors to a beer. Prior to Guinness, like many people, I mostly drank american Pilsner (Hey... we were all early 20 somethings at one time, LOL!!! I've since changed, gotten into crafts, and won't touch light Pilsner anymore). I didn't understand why it tasted like flat coffee until I read about how it was made and why. My next try at it and I was hooked. I grew to love this beer!!! It has one of the prettiest pours there is, in my opinion. Best off a nitro tap or from a can with the widget. It does create a creaminess. It is a dry stout, with virtually no fizz, and lots of coffee, along with chocolate and roasted malt. At least that is what I taste anyway. It is light compared to a number of the Stouts I've gotten into since acquiring my Stout love. Many call it legendary. Some say it stinks. To me, it is legendary, and oh so good!

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.