Guinness Draught | Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

Ratings: 7,735 |  Reviews: 2,267
3.32/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Guinness Draught about a week ago for 1.22 at Glenn's Market. I haven't had a Guinness Draught in a while and I thought I would pick up a bottle and revisit it, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The Bottle looks nice it's got a clean and traditional Guinness look to it. It poured a very dark brown color that was bordering on being black and it had some brown highlights to it when held to the light with three fingers worth of creamy tan head that died down to a thick ring that thin ring that left some nice rings of lacing behind. This is a pretty good looking beer, but it looks even better on tap.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by lots of malts that impart some medium roasted malt aromas with some light chocolate and coffee coming through. Up next comes a real light smokey aroma. The aroma is decent, it's pretty simple and straight forward.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a lighter amount of medium sweetness followed by a good amount of dark medium roasted malt flavors with some light coffee and chocolate and flavors coming through. On the finish there's a medium amount of lighter bitterness with a roasted malt aftertaste. The taste is decent, it's a little one dimensional but it works.

M- Smooth, pretty creamy, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice and it works well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and a solid example of the style, it's got just enough roasted flavors to fit in to the style while not being too filling and staying sessionable like it should. This beer had good drinkability, it's smooth, creamy, not too filling, and it's got just enough flavor to hold my attention till i get drunk and not care about taste anymore. I like the appearance and mouthfeel the most, to me that's one thing that sets this beer apart from other beers in the style. What I liked the least amount this beer is the taste and aroma, I think it could handle a little more roast, but I can see how people like it just how it is. I only really buy this beer for St. Patrick's day, but I will order it at a bar if there isn't anything better available. I would recommend this to anyone who is looking to get into the world of dark beers, it may not be like a lot of dark beers, but it gives you a slight idea of what they are like. All in all I don't mind this beer, it's nothing that I will go out of my way to get, but when the options are low this makes for a good alternative.

2.63/5  rDev -26.1%

Poured from bottle into a nonic glass.

Appearance: Guinness obviously has a very iconic look. It pours thick and black with a dense, one finger tan head.

Scent: Pretty boring. Malty with a little bit of a roasted scent, but not much.

Taste: Bland. There really isn't anything to taste until you swallow, and then you get a roasted coffee flavor on the back of your tongue.

Mouthfeel: Treads a fine line between thick and watery. Kind of interesting, but not necessarily in a good way.

Overall: After a lifetime of hearing great things about Guinness, I was very disappointed with my experience. It's really just a great looking beer, but fails to be interesting in any of the other categories. It's an extremely bland and flavorless beer. Do not recommend.

4.25/5  rDev +19.4%

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

3.76/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

had this as one of my last beers on the NCL Breakaway during our last cruise excursion.
A nice foaming cascading head deep black with a thinner body.
Aroma was quite lean being it on nitro. Taste was also pretty lean. It was malty with a slight roasted taste.
Drinks smooth and creamy.
I generally drink this as a go to beer if I can't find any quality craft beer be it where I happen to be.

2.5/5  rDev -29.8%

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.
Beer rating: 3.56 out of 5 with 7,735 ratings