Guinness Draught | Guinness Ltd.

Read the review
Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

Guinness Ltd.
Ireland
guinness.com

Style: Irish Dry Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

Ratings: 7,624 |  Reviews: 2,249

Obviously a way higher rating than most. The reasoning is personal. It was my first beer love.

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Very dark brown body with a fair tan head and mediocre lacing. It smells a lot like, well, not much, actually. Faint roasted malts, nearly burnt wheat bread, and even fainter fruit and yeast. Tastes the same as I expected with some typical, standard, light roasted malts, toast, watered down cold-brewed coffee, a wee bit of caramel and dare I say taffy in there somewhere, and a dry, slightly bitter malty finish without much from hops. The mouthfeel is very average, if you're gonna have it you should try to get one that's on nitrogen.

I've had one Guinness at a pub off nitro, didn't think it very special and didn't expect to want it again, but I decided to toss in a bottle of Guinness Draught into a "mix your own six pack" and had it with breakfast this morning. It's a great breakfast beer, I must say, though for any other time it's just mediocre for me.

3.5/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

3.75/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.21/5  rDev +21.7%

If you give Guinness on draught anything less than an 85 then you haven't had it in Ireland.

The key to a good Guinness is a perfect pour. Nothing can beat the look of a jet-black Guinness with cream bubbles creeping up the side of the glass for a perfect, iconic head. The creaminess is accentuated in the smell and taste. The feel is silky smooth.

Go have a Guinness poured in a 12th century pub and see how it treats you.

3.25/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.96/5  rDev +14.5%

3.42/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

2.87/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

I revisited Guinness because I felt like I unfairly judged it for years, for it is the reason I thought I didn't like stouts, but I have learned I just don't like this stout. There wasn't a deep aroma, the flavor was bland, and the feel was average. I feel free of any lingering guilt for not loving Guinness and can say with confidence that I now trust my pallet and I really do like stouts, good ones.

2.34/5  rDev -32.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

3.67/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.55/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2.87/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

3.74/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.52/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Nitro draft at Irish pub:
Pours cloudy as the nitrogen settles, increasing the creamy tan head. Looks like a perfect cappuccino. Body is dark but obviously lets some light through, with a slightly reddish glow where it does.

Nose is pretty much missing initially, on a cold beer. Later in the pour there's a lightly bitter roast note - but it's still very weak.

The taste is a distinct mix of unsweetened chocolate malt roast, a little bitterness that doesn't seem from any char, and a lightly smoky roasted back end. Feel is rather light, even a tad watery on a warmer beer. The restrained boldness (yes, somewhat oxymoronic) of this beer I think is what makes it fairly universally enjoyed. There's roast - but it's not acrid or charred; there's bitterness - but it doesn't consume your palate; there's chocolate - but it is not at all seeet.

Of course, I've had this numerous times. In some cases I've found it watery. In others, bland. Today I might have lucked into one of the better tastings I've had.

2.06/5  rDev -40.5%

3.82/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

The first beer I ever had where beer finally clicked for me. I had it on tap in a pint glass at Nana's Irish Pub in Newport, Oregon.
L: A very dark brown with a nice light brown head that slowly settles.
S:Roasted Malt and Chocolate
T:Pretty much the same as the smell with a hint of coffee.
F: It was very smooth and everything about it was just fine.
O: A solid experience especially while eating shepherd's pie at a nice little Irish Pub. The flavor profile didn't blow my mind but it was a subtleness that changed my mind that beer could actually be good and shifted me away from the liquors that I had held dear. Would absolutely have it again but it was definitely a one pint and I am done especially with a hardy meal.

3.78/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.83/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours with a deep, rich color with a slight brown head that holds. Smell is a slight nuttiness with a hint of coffee and some chocolate. Taste is like the smell and is smooth going down due to the carbonation. Overall this is a solid beer that is widely avalible for a decent price and I can see myself going for this beer when I'm not feeling craft beer prices.

3.98/5  rDev +15%

This is my go-to beer. To me, it's as close to a damn good craft stout as you can get. ALWAYS pour it - never drink it straight from the bottle. It pours a nice thick head with very good retention. The aroma is bittersweet chocolate and coffee, and the taste is similar with a little molasses. It goes down very easy and isn't too carbonated. Overall, I really like Guinness Draught. Certainly one of the best.

3.75/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.55/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.81/5  rDev +10.1%

4.33/5  rDev +25.1%

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.