Guinness Draught | Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

Ratings: 7,979 |  Reviews: 2,315

3.6/5  rDev +0.8%

2.5/5  rDev -30%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

3.25/5  rDev -9%

A- pours a deep brown/black with a small foamy tan head.

S- A sweet bready maltiness, very mild though.

T- Mild burnt coffee maltiness upfront, finishes with a grassy hoppiness. Overall very bland.

M- Light bodied, smooth and creamy.

D- Very good. Bland, but very sessionable.

3.42/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Not bad, but I've always considered Guinness' most appealing element to be it's silk-like smoothness. This, of course, is from the nitrogen it's either kegged or bottled with. Otherwise, apart from it's appealing crispness, I've never found anything about this beer to write home about. Instead, I always find myself wondering what other beers would be like with a nitro tap...

2.47/5  rDev -30.8%

It's been a long time since I've had a Guinness. I remember drinking a fair amount of it right as I started drinking beer because I thought it was the more manly, real beer beer.

Great looks from this beer. It even pours from a 14.9 oz can. I like canned beer, too bad so few good beers come in cans. Great head buildup from a very gentle pour into a pint glass... swirling bubbles form a thick, extremely long lasting head. Such a good head it seems artificial, actually. Nice dark color, just a little bit of light gets through on the edges with a yellow tint.

Very little smell, even after letting it warm a bit. Almost completely devoid of aroma when cold, it gradually emits some faint dark roasted malts and instant coffee. Nothing offensive but not inviting, either.

Surprising lack of flavor, which only grows just a bit with a lot of warmth. For a beer that looks like this and has a great semi-full mouthfeel, it's quite disappointing. Just a hint of roasted malts, but also a slightly unpleasant sour taste... not like pleasing citric hops, but more like milk one day past its best by date. Weird. How did they manage to make this beer with so little flavor? I'm guessing the color doesn't fully come from roasted malts, but has some adjunct coloring.

Feel is the other bright point, I like the full, creamy body to it. Too bad it's so low on aroma and flavor--for any style of beer. Not a beer I'll choose to come back to often. I'd like to try more of the Dry Irish Stout style to compare.

3.54/5  rDev -0.8%

A: Poured into a pilsner glass at 45 degrees. Begins with about an inch of head and 3 inches of the cloudy head-body mix; settles down after about 10-15 seconds. Near black opaque body with a thick creamy tan head.
S: Nitrogen, raisiny chocolate, some sweet coffee.
T: I dunno--tastes a lot different from the stuff I'd get over in the UK; a lot more watery. Still, not to bad, though it wouldn't be my favorite dry stout. Bitter coffee throughout most of it, shifts toward the end into some dark malts. Short pine aftertaste.
M: Again, a bit thin but still creamy.
D: Probably one of the easier to drink dry stouts.

3.11/5  rDev -12.9%

Another classic beer! I've had this a couple times, but hated it initially. Let's hope I was just immature in my understanding of beer!

I cracked open the nitro can, and it let out a loud hiss as i poured it. I think my can might be a bit old. the beer bours a very dark but not completely opaque ruby/black. the famous guinness cascade leads to a nice creamy head on top. A very appealing-looking beer.

The smell is light and malty. There is a slight smokiness to it that is quite appealing and also a hint of chocolate syrup, but overall the aroma is faint.

The taste is very mild compared to what i remember. It has some faint toasted maltiness along with some faint smoky coffee. The aftertaste is slightly bitter and burnt.
The mouthfeel is what kills me with this beer! It's so watery!

Overall, I should try this on tap and get a better experience. Not as bad as i remember, but not what I was hoping for either.

4.37/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

have always loved this beer. is always perfect for me in every aspect.

3.75/5  rDev +5%

3.75/5  rDev +5%

3.25/5  rDev -9%

4.5/5  rDev +26.1%

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.
Beer rating: 3.57 out of 5 with 7,979 ratings