Guinness Draught | Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

View: Beers
Ratings: 7,841 |  Reviews: 2,286
4.49/5  rDev +26.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Looks silky black, and it is a very deep black, can't see any light through the corner, silky medium head
Smell is light for a stout, but very delicious and chocolatey
Taste is sweet with just a tinge of bitter, if rasputin was a real chocolate bar, this would be like milk chocolate, barely enough bitter to be noticed and then sweet on top of it
Mouth feel is pure nitro, not much carbonation left after the pour, just extra tiny nitro bubbles
Overall, flavorful and drinkable, not much compared to other stouts but it's more drinkable

3.41/5  rDev -4.2%

I reviewed this from a nitro bottle and I poured it into a glass even thought it says to enjoy it from the bottle. I love the look of Guinness, I couldn't resist. It still tasted pretty much like I remember it from the nitro can. An awesome looking brew with a thick creamy head that never dissipates. The nose is of roasted malts and a hint of chocolate. The taste is similiar with roasted malts up front followed by chocolate and a slightly bitter finish. The mouthfeel is super smooth, but personally I like at least some carbonation. I could probably go with guinness as a session beer but it wouldn't be my first choice.

4.27/5  rDev +19.9%

There's Guinness from the tap, Guinness from the can, and Guinness from the bottle. If you drink enough of the stuff, you'll come to understand - like I have - that the three sources provide three distinct variations on a theme. From the bottle is okay, from the nitro can is excellent, but from the tap... Guinness Draught can be divine. Which leads us to this review - the nitro can.

Pop the top and listen for the rush of the nitrogen as your Guiness goes through a process very similar to what happens when it's mixed at the tap. Pour and watch the brew tumble to a tar-black body crowned with a tawny brown head. Remember that head, because there's a very good chance it will outlast the rest of the beer.

If there's a "chink in the armor" for Guinness, it's the beer's smell. Some stouts have distinct aromas, but Guinness from the nitro can tends to have such a thick set of smells that nothing really comes through. Instead of actual smells, I'd tend to explain the aroma of canned Guinness in terms of weights. For example, one might call the smell of canned Guinness ten pounds of coffee and five pounds of chocolate in the bag for three pounds of gold. But maybe that's just me.

The taste of this beer is perfectly replicated from the tap to the can, as opposed to the bottle. Those of you who've only had tap and bottle will notice a considerable difference. Personally, I find the difference to be a little repulsive, so I was glad to find out that St James' Gate Brewery got it right in the nitro can. For those who no nothing of the taste of Guinness, I urge you not to take my word for it. Guinness is one of those beers you simply have to try for yourself, and if you like stouts or porters, I think you'll enjoy it.

Mouthfeel and drinkability are unbelievably smooth and satisfying. You might as well drink a small saucer of creme if you want to know how Guinness will feel going down.

If you've never tried an irish dry stout before, I think Guinness would be a great way to break into the style. Just be sure you have Guinness on its own before you branch out into black-and-tans or irish car bombs. To experience it properly, I think you have to start with the basics.

3.09/5  rDev -13.2%

Had this one on a nitrogen tap, when I got the pint it was a really nice DARK brown, almost black with a creamy white head. The smell was a very light coffeeish malt aroma, not very strong.

The taste was a very smooth, creamy malt flavor that almost does not taste like beer. The mouthfeel was nice, thick and smooth.

If you like stouts, this one is a great one to try and if you have not had a Guinness before, try and have one on tap. It's worth a try.

3.79/5  rDev +6.5%

Insane and drunk bartender is obsessed with pouring a beer with no head; "it's all beer!" he proudly proclaims. But a thin creamy head remains and never quite turns to scum. Black but reddish around the edges, and the head is an off white. The smell is really nothing special, as we know. I ususally don't bother smelling this unless by force of habit...but the taste--what could be more palatable and feel like a meal? It's totally non threatening, no charred notes, no excess sweetness, just a faint smooth roasty brew that gives the sensation of filling the mouth, has a touch of sourness which makes you want to sip it again, and one that both by ABV and easy of consumption defines session beer. I nearly always want another. I've tended to mock Guinness in the past and I typically won't stock it in favor of the occasional Murphy's, but I'm never sad if it's the best beer on tap, because it's a good beer to drink, and works well with most food, too. And otherwise it might have been a Bud or nothing. I rarely sip a Guinness and end up feeling disappointed.

Lots of not-quite beer drinkers adore this brew but know nothing about beer. That makes it hard for some to admit that, even with their refined beer palate and expansive microbrew knowledge, Guinness too IS good, for what it is, but not, and the inexperienced might shout "the best beer in the world!" as there is no such thing.

So there the Guinness tap handle sits next to two other ultra crappy beers, and calls my name. At first I balk. ..."Why be a beer snob?" I think. To Bartender: "I'll have a Guinness."

2.18/5  rDev -38.8%

I remember drinking Guinness before they began bottling and canning it. It seems like it's gone downhill since then. This review is based on my latest pint from the pub from a nitro-tap.

Appearance is outstanding - there's really quite nothing like this - a dark black (really very dark ruby red) stout with a 2-3 finger creamy stout head that has nitro bubbles cascading throughout the glass. A perfectly poured Guinness has no comparison so far as appearance goes.

Smell - really hard to discern a smell but when I take a few deep inhales, I'm able to discern some malt and stout aromas but overall, quite hard for me to smell anything.

Taste - A bit tangy but not smooth. Doesn't have the same flavor it used to have. Disappointing. Wish it'd have the oatmeal flavor it used to have with a hint of creamy stoutiness in there.

Mouthfeel - Despite the appearance and despite the huge head, this pint did NOT have the creaminess that one expects from Guinness. For the older version of Guinness with the thick creaminess and bubbliness of nitro-bubbles, I'd have rated it a 5.

Drinkability - The current Guinness can be thrown back but not savored quite as well. Overall, I'd have to say it's a bit below average - I'd still drink it but I don't have the urge to savor it nor do I have the urge to keep pounding them back.

Overall, I'll still drink Guinness, especially if I can find it when it resembles the original draught version.

3.41/5  rDev -4.2%

Very dark in color, almost black, yet the smallest hint of brown with a long lasting off-white light tan head.

Very malty, chocolate, coffee, slightly metallic and a little airy with a vanilla aroma that comes out after a while.

A bittersweet coffee and chocolate flavor accented by the late arrival of citrus still hidden in the malt.

Pretty thick yet a bit of a watery feel with an interesting carbonation.

Pretty smooth, a little heavy but still fairly drinkable.

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

2.5/5  rDev -29.8%

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

4.5/5  rDev +26.4%

4.44/5  rDev +24.7%

Damn fine beer best draft stout of all time classic

4.2/5  rDev +18%

3.91/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

2.98/5  rDev -16.3%

3.18/5  rDev -10.7%

THis is a step up from the standard macroswill that college campuses tend to be congested with. I'm at leats happy that my friend drinks this instead of Busch Lite. Appearance is a light translucent brown, and seeing as how i took the advice of the bottle and drank straight from it, i couldnt tell you any more than that, save for the fact that it kept foaming over the top. Smell is mettalic and wheaty, with some meaty protein hints but not very much complexity at all. Taste is about the same, with a bitter metallic taste, but its clearly not from hops. Tastes kind of earthy, with some wheat and malt in there. Mouthfeel is thicker than most other macros, as would be expected, and there is little carbonation, which combines to make it feel like youre drinking foamy milk. Its an ok choice if you want something a step above regular macro, but not really a good choice if you want a real stout. I hear the Guinness Extra Stout is better though...

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.
Beer rating: 3.56 out of 5 with 7,841 ratings