Guinness Draught | Guinness Ltd.

Read the review

Style: Irish Dry Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

Reviews: 2,237 | Ratings: 7,566
4.16/5  rDev +20.2%

As anyone who sees my moniker can tell, I have a taste for the guiness..Very velvety mouthfeel, with hints of chocolate and roasted nut.Dry aftertaste. Had it in true draught form, and cant drink it in a can or bottle, also if sampling in a ber, make sure that the bar uses the guinness a lot, because if it sits in the lines at a bar that doesnt serve much guinness, it gets very bitter. I always ask the waitress/bartender how much the guinness is served(and i get my fair share of weird looks for it).

2.46/5  rDev -28.9%

Appearance - Black and brown, very caramel-like.

Smell - Nothing special.

Taste - Roasty and chocolaty, with a very bitter after-taste. Quite dry.

Drinkability - Was very tiresome after 2 beers. Bitterness starts to linger afterwhile. Buying one occasionally shouldn't be so bad, but the bitter after-taste makes this a poorer beer, imo.

3.59/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I wonder what we would think of Guinness if it weren't so well-known.

There's no more mesmerizing sight in all of beerdom than a properly poured nitro stout with all those millions of tiny bubbles cascading downward from a huge creamy head. Guinness has pronounced roastiness to go along with that characteristic lactic twang that homebrewers find so elusive. In keeping with the style, it is quite dry, but still I find the mouthfeel to be on the thin side for a stout, despite the creaminess that the proper gas mix can impart.

Guinness is a good beer, but alas it's not even my favorite Irish Stout. Usually after one pint I'm ready to move on to another beer. Wish I could have sampled it way back in the day before the realities of marketing and brewery consolidation set in.

3.76/5  rDev +8.7%

Poured into a regular straight pint glass. Poured black and brown. The nitro bubbled down. This told me there was definitely nitro in it.

Taste was burnt malts of course and slight dark chocolate. Not much hoppy character that I could tell. Very straightfoward and basic tasting other than that for a porter/stout. The smell is just sorta there (definitely burnt, dark, good smell though.) The mouthfeel is pretty much perfect. Thick almost like milk mouthfeel not taste. This beer also is quite easy on the stomach but I probably couldn't drink too many which is probably a good thing. I'd rather drink a few guinnesses than 8 Coors Light/Colorado Water.

Other thoughts on this beer: definitely a good beer. I respect this beer for being supposedly starting the 'stout' style. I must say if you are not into microbreweries and trying new things instead of settling with a 'best' this beer seems to be the top of the chain for people. It's quite sad and silly. I have a friend who's irish, has red hair, and wears all sorts of celtic stuff and Flogging Molly shirts. He doesn't like other porters and always compares them to 'the best.' To me it's a beer you ought to try even have once in a while but to say it's The Best is a little over the top. I will say though that I have not yet enjoyed it off the tap. I have been told that this is the ONLY way to drink it. After then I can feel not full of myself. I bet it is better though. P.S. it is great though if you want to feel full after drinking a beer. I hear over in Ireland it's not uncommon to drink one of these for breakfast with all the grains and carbs.

3.98/5  rDev +15%

Off a nitro-tap at an 'irish' pub in Virginia.

A - dark, dark brown, almost black, but not opaque. You can see some light come through around the bottom of the glass, looking dark ruby. Head a perfect, foamy little tan island floating on the dark sea. Very tight, nitro head, only a few centimeters thick - maybe one finger. Head stays around the whole way, leaves nice lacing.

S - not a whole lot of aroma, but what there is consists primarily of roasted malt. Almost no hop aroma.

T - roasted malt predominates. A little hop bitterness in there. Beer is not sweet at all, nearly all the bitterness comes from the roasted/black patent malt. Very unique flavor. Malty, creamy. Tastes like a light cup of joe, with some tartness behind it. Very small amount of grassy hop flavor.

M - light to medium light mouthfeel. Creamy. Has the consistency of darkly brewed tea. Very dry.

D - goes down extremely easy. Low alcohol contributes to high drinkability here. It would be easy to sit around and have several pints of these and safely drive home.

Overall - the classic dry stout. If you haven't ever had it on draft, you can't call yourself a beer aficionado.

3.61/5  rDev +4.3%

For me Guinness is a drinking beer. I can have vast quanities of it and never get tired of the taste. Its not a very flavorful beer, and thats what I like about it. It has a slightly roasted coffee taste that I can enjoy all the time. If I'm only going to have a few beers, this is not the beer for me. If I'm going out all day and night, can't go wrong with a good pint.

4.23/5  rDev +22.3%

Love Guinness. The appearance is dark brown/almost black with a creamy head that lasts. Excellent lacing. The smell is of malt, chocolate, and a slight bit of coffee. The taste is a little sweet, with an aftertaste of coffee, or even a slight, slight black licorice. Mouthfeel is very smooth. Hardly any carbonation. Goes down smooth which is what makes it great. I could drink these all night. One of my favs.

3.59/5  rDev +3.8%

This beer poured very dark with a thick creamy head about 1 finger width in height.
The flavor was bitter and chocolaty though i didnt find many other flavors. It feells thick and creamy in the mouth. Overall I found this to be a quite good though heavy beer.

3.61/5  rDev +4.3%

a - Dark brown. Reddish when held to a light. Creamy head that lasts. Nice lacing on the glass.

s - Chocolate, dark roasted malt without much smell of hops

t - Taste of the hops comes through with the sweetness of the malt being secondary. After swallowing there is a light bitter aftertaste that sits on the middle back of the tongue.

m - Very light on carbonation and thin tasting.

d - This beer has always worked for me. I could drink a lot of them. It's not spectacular, is particularily weak in mouthfeel but I keep buying it and drinking it. It goes down easy. Also, if you are going to drink with friends who "aren't into that conosuier s**t" Guiness enjoys wide acceptance and is far more drinkable than yellow fizz.

4.68/5  rDev +35.3%

Once again, I believe it's time to review this beer once again. Once again, as always it pours to a beautiful dark opaque color. The head is thick, creamy and just does not subside. The smell hints at chocolate and coffee, as does the taste of the beer. The beer itself is nice and thick and it's really easy to drink down. If anything this beer is consistently good. Will buy again, of course.

3.2/5  rDev -7.5%

Pours a black body as the bubbles ascend beautifully to make a elegant creamy head. The aroma is dark roasted malts with chocolate and coffee. The taste and mouthfeel are good, maybe a bit on the watery side. The drinkablility is good as also good as I can easily throw back a few of these at a time.

2.26/5  rDev -34.7%

This was offered in a bottle at a local tavern, so I gave it a try.

This beer is a dark brown to black color. Thick beige head with small bubbles lasts a long long long time.

The smell is faint, hoppy and a little malty, but otherwise nothing special.

The taste is smooth and malty, smoky and grainy. Slightly bitter aftertaste.

Mouth feel is thick, malty and slightly bitter.

This is a drinkable beer but not great taste-wise. The head was amazingly resilient. It may have stood up through the dishwasher for all I know.

2.65/5  rDev -23.4%

Maybe I blew it. I can't bring myself to drink from the bottle. I didn't even read the friggin' label. So, I stupidly poured it into a glass. Inky purple black, with an off-white foam. Smell is roasty and a little chocolatey. The taste, and maybe I ruined it with the poor, was dominated by a ubiquitous metallic flavor. Thin, thin, thin mouthfeel. Some bitterness in the finish, but not enough to save it. Not appealing.

3.79/5  rDev +9.5%

I imbibed this specific Guinness in an Irish pub overlooking the Baltimore Harbor. I had read somewhere that stouts go well with raw oysters so, seeing as I was on the harbor, in Baltomore, and already drinking a Guinness, I thought I'd give the Guinness/oyster combo a shot.

Poured from a nitro tap, the legendary Guinness head formed as the falling tan foam settled. The head is extraordinarily thick and creamy in appearance, texture, and taste. I had to push through the head to get to the black richness beneath and found the familiar roasted goodness. At 4.2%, it is easy to drink. One would expect a heavier beer, given the color, but this is one great sessioner. Aroma was clean and slightly toasty. The Guinness Draught is simple and good, much lighter in flavor than other stouts. I don't know if it's comparatively light stout flavor complemented the oysters or if they oysters would have paired better with a richer, roastier, stout-ier stout. I do know that I could have easily had another couple of these with a couple dozen oysters had I had the time to do it.

3.17/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

There's nothing quite like watching bubbles cascading in your glass and forming a thick, luscious creamy head on top of your brew. Go nitro widget go! Deep opaque black hue which fades to a slightly translucent cola color at the bottom of my glass. Head retains quite well, leaving rings of tanned cream down the walls of my imperial pint. Aroma is rather faint, save for a few subtlties, light roasted marshmallows, hint of chocolate and burnt coffee. Sour bitter flavor with light coffee, chocolate, roasty malts, tobacco. Rich and creamy on the palate with a clean, dry finish. One of the true gateway ales out there and a good one. Easy to drink, looks great and a killer mouthfeel, aroma and taste leave some to be desired. However, all things considered, this is my lite beer of choice at only 155 calories per 14.9oz can.

2.86/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

440ml nitro can. 4.1%abv. BB 30/06/06. Served cool in a jug.
A: absolutely elegant mahogany to almost black hue, with an supposedly thick and tight frothy beige head which sustains forever.
S: softly sweet coffee-mousse note, mild aroma of roasted barley and caramelised malts with a touch of cream, and some unidentifiable dark fruits. Overall very smooth and attenuated. Simple but not boring.
T&M: very light flavour of roasted barley followed by a thin-bodied and watery texture before quickly hitting the lightly sour and dryish aftertaste, while necessary bitterness for a stout is kept at bay... Smooth on the mouthfeel, but too thin in terms of body.
D: maybe the style is not my favourite and it also has to be taken into account that the can-version is not as nice as the real draught version on tap, but I've come across lots of much better and complex stouts than this giant. Got to do better to live up to its reputation and self-expectation.

4.36/5  rDev +26%

As a true fan of Guinness, the reason for the small review was this. Guiness was ment to be served on tap or at least in a bottle as Extra Stought.

Notheless, this was a very good version of Guinness. Similar great taste of malt and barely. Similar texture of heaviness and lightness. Same great apperance and smell. If possible when you have a can, I would recommend getting a glass since the can sometimes leaves a watery/metallic aftertaste that just ruins the whole Guinness experiance.

However, I would not recommend this in a can and if you have the money to buy Guinness I would say go the extra mile for the Extra Stought, as it is worth it. But since it's very rare, Draught is a very good substitute.

3.96/5  rDev +14.5%

I never would have assumed Guinness would appeal to me. Like I've said before, I have pretty moderate tastes. Mostly my beer preferences run to the moderate. Red/Amber Lagers and more recently, "white" (wheat) beers. I'm not generally into the really heavy, dark, bitter beers. So Guinness is was a pleasant surprise. Now first, let me say this is the single most appealing beverage I've ever seen. A lot of people use the comparisons to say motor oil to describe the appearance. I never understood that. From the very first time I saw Guinness, my first response was "whoa, nothing could possibly taste as good as that looks". For that matter, since I was watching TV, I thought nothing could look that appealing in person (not true as it turned out). Anyway, the smell is distinctive- carmalized malts and coffee. The taste is surpisingly pleasant. Rich, with some sweetness, and an uncanny similarity to strong coffee. Yes, it is quite bitter (which I usually don't enjoy), but the way the bitterness comes out makes it less objectionable. The bitterness is in the middle rather than the finish, and does not linger. I assume this is because the bitterness comes from the very dark malts rather than the hops. The mouthfeel is, like Guinness (or really like stout I guess) in general, unique but enjoyable. It is rich and thick, creamy even. The head is especially pleasant and creamy. Guinness is actually more drinkable than it seems, it goes down pretty well and even washes food down pretty well. But for some reason I find the taste and experience of this particular beer gets really old if I have more than one or two. So the drinkability is what I'd call mediocre. To me at least, Guinness is distinctively different, but quite pleasant. I don't really drink it often, and I definately don't rate this a good session beer, but its still very good and one or two of them every now and then hits a spot that nothing else I've yet had will.

3.95/5  rDev +14.2%

Always the Guinness. I will always love this beer. Not always above all others, but above most. It is the classic beer for guys. It has one of the best heads on it and is known around the world for its taste and ability to heal stuff (not really sure about that). It has a dark complexion, as you know, but the taste must be experience. It has amber undertones and yet mild aftertaste. Not that anyone cares, but it actually has fewer calories than a regular beer.

4.08/5  rDev +17.9%

Bottle inspection: Brown custom nitro-bottle completely covered in the plastic label, lists calories 126, carbs 9.9 g, protein .3 gr, fat .0 g

Aroma: Mild roasted malt with an odd sour cherry note that I don't remember getting from Guinness in other forms than the nitro bottle.

Appearance: Black glass with thick ruby edges with a creamed coffee full head. Pretty!

Taste: Mirrors the smell exactly, still getting that strange cherry note that I've never noticed before. Otherwise a very neutral taste, some roastiness, but very little.

Mouthfeel: Very light body, almost watery texture and a dry finish.

Overall: The light taste and body really make this an excellent session beer. Classic beer, really one to go to school on. Not surprised it is one of the most often reviewed beers.

3.83/5  rDev +10.7%

Medium/full bodied, very dark with a touch of red, creamy tan head, aroma is not strong but includes coffee, roasted malt and a touch of chocolate.

Taste is strong coffee, toasted nuts, smoky roasted malt, dark bittersweet chocolate, finishing with a definite hops bite.

Creamy smooth, very drinkable.

4.28/5  rDev +23.7%

Poured a deep ruby red with a nice, creamy, absurdly long-lasting tan head. Love those widget cans. Aroma is roasty with a bit of slightly burnt toast. Light-to-medium body, creamy, with a bready finish. Toasty roasted flavor is balanced by the classic slight Guinness sourness. Probably as drinkable a beer as I've ever had; I can down them as fast as they can serve them, and it always leaves me wanting more. Awesome session beer, which is the whole point in the first place.

At one time, this was my favorite beer in the world. In fact, I started homebrewing so that I could make something similar that wouldn't cost me a fortune. I'm not quite as into it as I used to be, but it's something that I'll return to from time-to-time. There may be better stouts out there, but this one's still a classic in my book. Also tends to be widely available, even at places with limited beer menus.

2.86/5  rDev -17.3%

Appearance: Pours with that always appealing thick thick thick head out of a nitro can with is a light tan brown. And the Guinness is well… black. Nice can by the way.

Smell: Coffee and hints of chocolate but quite thin overall

Taste/ Mouthfeel: more chocolate and coffee with a smooth moutfeel with soothing malts. Bitter aftertaste.

Drinkability/Overall: Personally I like them a bit stronger and this brew tastes like Guinness Extra Stout but with more water. For people who don’t like it as strong this is a good pick but the extra stout is more like a meal than this. This is way too watery to live up to its big boy raps.

3.09/5  rDev -10.7%

Purchased from Target in Jones Valley, Huntsville, AL.

This is one of the best-looking beers I've ever tasted. Some may think of the nitro-bottle as a gimmick, but for my money, it produces a nearly perfect pour, the cascading bubbles, the gradually "filling" black body, and the almost-white thick head that sticks around and leaves beautiful, delicate lacing. If appearance were the only thing about beer, I'd never drink anything else.

Aroma is weak, though, with a thin coffee-like licorice scent. No hops present in the nose, but a touch of chocolate is apparent on deep whiffs. Decent, but not perfect.

Bit of an astringency up-front on the flavor, followed by a touch of coffee and a very dry finish. No hops to speak of, more malty than anything. Quaffable.

Very thin mouthfeel, less like a stout than any other stout I've ever tasted. This isn't even as thick as a porter, or even some lagers and ales I've tasted.

Overall drinkability is okay. A bit too dry on the finish to be a favorite of mine, and there are certainly better stouts out there, but to be as available as it is pretty much everywhere, it's not bad.

4.38/5  rDev +26.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Brilliant!
Pours a deep dark black. Thick, cascading frothy brown head. The aroma is of dark malty sweetness, coffee, chocolate, toffee, caramel.
Taste is a strong malt taste while still maintaining a decent bitter/sweet balance.
Mouthfeel is smooth, a bit oily, not much carbonation. Overall a great beer and one of my favorite stouts.

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.