Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Guinness Draught | Guinness Ltd.

YOUR RATING = None |

Style: Irish Dry Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

Reviews: 2,189 | Ratings: 7,358
2.95/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Since the nitro bottle is designed to be drank straight from the bottle that's how I'm reviewing it.
It's a cool enough looking bottle, but I'd like to see the beer. Watching the nitrogen work it's magic is half the fun of drinking any nitro-beer.
Upon first opening you get a whiff of roasty, chocolatey malt. After that not much of anything can be picked up with the beer inside the bottle.

Taste: I really enjoy this beer on tap, but the bottled version doesn't even seem like the same beer. Roasty, chocolatey malt. Some coffee. Plenty of bitterness, more bitterness than flavor, IMO. Very dry middle to end.

Nice, creamy nitrogen mouthfeel, although drinking from the bottle messes this up a bit as well.
I've come a long way since I first started drinking beer out of a glass and I don't want to drink any beer out of the bottle anymore.
Overall, still a decent beer, but just doesn't compare to the real draught version or even the nitro can whether you leave it in the bottle or pour it in a glass.

3.57/5  rDev +3.5%

Beautiful appearance, but then it went downhill. I was exepcting much more from a beer on tap. Smell was very faint malt and didn't invite you to drink more. Taste was mild, but witha bitter aftertaste. Mouthfeel was watery. I know the abv is low, but there could have been more flavor. Easy enough to drink with the cheesburger I was eating.

4.28/5  rDev +24.1%

Guinness is simply one of those standard beers that the world is a better place for. Its my safety beer. In the average bar filled with Coors, Bud Light and MGD, you can almost always at least Guinness nitro cans. I have come to depend on Guinness in this way.
When the pour is fresh, there is a wonderul thick head on the top of your beer. You should be able to draw in it or make little 'peaks' on the head by dipping your finger in the beer. Guinness doesn't offer a variety or real depth of flavor, but never disappoints. Its flavor hits almost immediately with hints of coffee dark bitter chocolate. I can drink Guinness like chocolate milk - except in larger quantities.

2.62/5  rDev -24.1%

Very dark body, beige creamy looking head, very little carbonation, I was not able to smell the beer at all, maybe I'm getting a cold...
Tasted mostly like thin milk chocolate mixed with a weak pale ale, had some bitterness in the aftertaste.
Feels very creamy but that doesn't make the beer more drinkable to me.

3.43/5  rDev -0.6%

I didnt really like Guinness from the bottle when comparing it to the nitro-can or tap. When poured it sort of flat not as I was used to. Its color was the standard black and the head was rahter weak and not very creamy. Kinda expected that though. The smell was almost dryish. The taste at first was good like a guinness from tap but the after taste is what really turned me off. It had a burnt bacon like after taste. I dont know how else to explain it. It was drinkable but the lingering after taste I didnt like.

4.23/5  rDev +22.6%

While not quite as good as a true pint of nitro-tap Guinness, the nitro canned version is decent. When you pop the top you can hear the nitrogen ball rushing the nitrogen into the beer. On the pour you get that wonderful cascading affect, that settles after a few moments and creates a pitch black, opque beer, with a lovely, dense, creamy nitro head of foam. The aromas are a bit subdued compared to draught, but they are still nice. They consist of roasted malts, and slight hops. The mouthfeel is creamy and smooth, but not as smooth as draught, and the drinkability takes a bit of a hit as well, for all of the above differences.

3.79/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

The pour is the best part of this beer. The wait - watching your beer "build" into shape is great stuff. Its black in color with a thin tan head. Lacing through the drink. The aroma isn't as exciting as some roasted malts are detected and not much else.

The taste is mellow and not overly exciting for a stout, but it is pleasant. The roasted malt is most notible. Very creamy and smooth mouthfeel. The body is thin for a stout, but this make this a great session beer if there are no other good beers on draft.

2.78/5  rDev -19.4%

I must admit, this kind of thing isn't my bag.

Anyone that has seen Guinness will know that the appearance is just incredible. Exactly what stout should look like.

Though I had it a few times served properly by Irish beer maids in the home country, I just don't like the tase of it.

Black creamy liquid isn't for me I guess. Though, I do understand why many would love it.

3.4/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

It's been nearly 9 years since I fell in love with a fresh pint of Guinness, at a Dublin pub near St James Gate. I savored many a pint of this "brown liquid food" in Ireland, and it made me a believer. Here, I have an 11.2 oz bottle with a widget inside, and the label recommends drinking it straight from the bottle. I refuse such heresy, and pour into a pint glass. Looks right--opaque deep brown with a frothy tan head. Decent nose of heavy malt, smoke, and burnt coffee. Mouthfeel is creamy, but seems watered down. Taste is of pipe tobacco, two day old coffee, and some stale bread. Enormous lacing on the glass.

This bears scant resemblance to the heavy duty fresh pints I savored in Dublin, Cork, and Galway, but is yet a respectable pint, to my amazement. This expensive looking bottle with widget inside,offers a decent effort to duplicate an authenic, fresh, draft Guinness. Sorry, it just can't be done with widgets.

Impression--Mediocre out of a "widget" bottle. The real deal is quite impressive, as I recall. Most Irish folks told me that you would be unlikely to find a decent pint outside of the Republic. They be correct.

3.72/5  rDev +7.8%

This is probably my favorite beer and has been since I can remember. I don't remember ever NOT liking Guinness. I am going to forgo my usual review format because everyone knows what this beer tastes and smells like.

I consider this to be the most beautiful beer once poured. The deep black color, the high-density head, the wonderful cascade effect. It doesn't get any better that that.

As far as drinkability, I can put down pints of this stuff all night long. What a classic.

12/12/03

Wow, that was less than a year ago? While I still agree that this beer is beautiful in the glass, and that it can be sucked down all night with little effort, I don't think that it is quite the ambrosia that I did at one time. I've knocked the numbers down accordingly.

Smell: Not bad, but very mild for a stout.

Mouthfeel: Very, very, oh so very thin for a stout. It's very smooth, I must say, but there just needs to be a butt-load more body.

Taste: While the taste is very pleasant, it is mild beyond belief. Still a little roasty, just a bit a toasty, but overall flat.

I still drink this beer when I go out. (Remember, this is Wichita and my choices are severely limited.) But I rarely, if ever, buy it to bring home anymore.

3.85/5  rDev +11.6%

Since i've lost most of my good pub glasses bringing them over to friend's houses and leaving them there, I wasn't about to make that mistake last night. So I took the opportunity to try the only incarnation of Guinness that I haven't had and picked up a sixer on sale for $6.99

When I got back to the house, I was dismayed to find that these sleekly-designed bottles aren't even 12 ounces, but are in fact 11.2 ounces. Guinness always has a way to get your pocketbook, be it the pub cans that will never give you a buzz, or just their generally overpriced products. They got me yet again.

After drinking the first beer from the bottle, I decided that route of delivery was pretty lame so I switched back to the glass. Pouring the beer into a glass is a bit awkward, but it still kicks up that nice Guinness froth. The smell is actually a bit better than the pub-can version.

The taste is still what i'm used to, with a bit more character. I think some of the watery-ness is decreased by a fuller mouthfeel.

All in all, a huge gimmick that might result in slightly better beer. I would have to do a head to head taste test to establish for sure.

Another way for the Guinness corporation to diversify its interests.

3.06/5  rDev -11.3%

without doubt the most well known and acessable stout going around, guinness is a great start for anyone wanting to move up from crappy macro lagers into the realm of darker beers. on the whole tho, if youve tried the foreign export, youll know the tap draught is the equivalent of any boring lager as far as dark beers go.

one thing that has to be pumped up as far as this beer goes, theyve set the standard for a great looking beer. is there a greater sight in beer drinking history that a freshly poured guinness? rich dark color with that flowing head that builds up the glass in waves. its bordering on arousing. thick and creamy head that has more staying power than an irish thoroughbred,. burnt coffee nose, that presents itself in the taste. some chocolate present with quite meaty flavors, and a robust hoppy finish. a meal in itself, ive never managed to have a big session on the guinness no matter how hard ive tried, even thought thet AV isnt high.

a classic even tho its not an especially great beer. guinness is the stepping stone for anyone looking to get past the usual dirge of boring lagers etc that pervade the market. pretty 'sexy' too as far as appearances go. if only every beer poured like this one.

2.08/5  rDev -39.7%

The appearance of this stout is by far the most impressive thing about it. Pours a charcoal black with a frothy tan head that lasts the entire pint, leaving a solid wall of lace. Carbonation somehow travels south as things settle.

Mouthful was entirely disappointing. Thin thin thin with almost no carbonation at all. Aroma was sorely lacking as well, with just hints of some cocoa and a strange fruitiness. Taste/texture was very creamy, but not in a good way. more of a non-dairy-creamer thing going on.

Unique in the sense that it's the best looking poor tasting beer I've had.

3.61/5  rDev +4.6%

Off a nitro-tap, this brew gives you the time to pay some attention to its appearance - a glossy black with ruby edging, a creamy one-finger tan head and a modest amount of lace.
The smell is somewhat subdued, of coffee and some cocoa. The taste has a pleasant roasted maltiness with some last-cup old coffee flavor and a light taste of bittersweet chocolate. It finished with a mildly sour taste. The weakest link for Guinness Draught had to be its feel: thin and a bit on the watery side.
On the whole, Guinness is a decent stout that is quite easy to drink. Still a good standby, I can think of a number of other stouts I'd rather drink, given the choice.

3.08/5  rDev -10.7%

Had to slum it last night while out with some friends. This was the best I could do. I had to ask the barkeep for a glass, and finally received one. Poured out a dark brown with minimal head. Decent lacing at least. Smelled weak. Very weak. Like maybe there was a roasted coffeesque flavor in there, but where? Didn't have much to the taste at all. A decent roasted flavor was in there, but it was really watered down. Decent flavor, just not a whole lot of it. I would say the gem of this beer though, was the mouthfeel. Very smooth and creamy. Very smooth. With a low ABV, it's also quite drinkable, and I'll take it over a Bud any day of the week. At least I'm not waking up this morning too sick. What little there is I blame on Tecate.

3.13/5  rDev -9.3%

Nitro draft bottle does a good job of impersonating the real thing. But the head settles on this much too fast. The taste of this bier is solely dependant on wether it comes from tap or can or bottle.

Good chocolate and nutty flavor yet somehow not something I am want to have a lot of. The smell is a little weak Creamy heavy head and a smooth mouthfeel. Not as thick a flavor as I am used to with this bier.

I've had this many times over the years in true draught form both here and in the U.K. In my opinion, these canned/bottled version are muck.

John

3.06/5  rDev -11.3%

From the 11.2 oz nitro bottle.

Pours jet black with a creamy tan head (with the classic nitro can/bottle settle) Smells creamy and lightly bitter of dark roasted malt.

Taste is bitter but smooth and creamy. Also watery and weak. Taste teases but refuses to satisfy. mouthfeel is also watery yet creamy with a light bitter malt aftertaste. Drinkable for sure but this is a different beer in the bottle vs. draft. Very good on draft, pretty mediocre in the can/bottle. The only good reason to have some around the house is for homemade black and tans, half and halfs and the like.

4.18/5  rDev +21.2%

Still an exceptional stout. Mine was a can brought back from Ireland, so it was not the export from Toronto. Beautiful silky black appearance topped with a creamy beige head. Coffee and chocolate lightly flow over the tounge with a nice dry slightly bitter finish. Goes down smooth like a glass of chocolate milk made from fine milk chocolate

3.66/5  rDev +6.1%

This isn't so much a review of Guinness than a commentary on the importance of where you get it and how it is poured. I remember a time when there was a real mystique to this entry level stout. Everyone said it was great, I couldn't wait to taste it, I had bought into the advertising hype. Then I had that first pint poured, watched the cascade, etc. etc. I woke up (disappointed) after the first sip. It really didn't taste all that good, in fact, I had had much better beers before.

I did not, however, let this dissuade me from trying it again. I tried the can, OK: the bottle: not so good, even the trendy rocket widget bottle after it came out: OK again. I wanted so much to like this beer, and though it was drinkable, it was never what I had hoped for. That is until I walked into a little Irish Pub/dive bar in Milbrae CA (beer mail me for the name). They had Guinness on tap, and being in an Irish Pub of sorts, I had to try it. At first I was wondering what took so long, there was nobody else in the bar, we could see it being poured, but it still took at least five minutes. When it finally came, I tasted Guinness as it is meant to be had. Still not stellar, but vastly different than any other pint of this brew I had had up until that point. It so happens the Bartender/Owner is actually from Creaslow (sp?) Ireland, and really knows his Guinness. He said the first thing he did when he bought the place was to re-work the tap so that it poured "right." He also said that he had had pints of Guinness in the states that would put anyone off the stuff for life. I could definitely relate there.

What is my point? Guinness is not the greatest beer (obviously), but in the right place, and when poured correctly it can still be a great part of the beer drinking experience. I still visit that little dive whenever I can just so I can re-visit what I have come to love about the beer and the experience it brings. Since then though, I have yet to have another pint of Guinness quite as good as from that place. If you want Guinness, make sure it is poured correctly, and let the atmosphere be part of the beer. You might even buy into the hype, even if it is for just one pint.

3.59/5  rDev +4.1%

True story...I have a friend at work who is a dedicated malternative drinker....he likes the Smirnoff Ice and all that hokum....swears that he doesn't like beer much....except for Guinness Draught. It's the one and only beer that he will drink. What kind of point am I trying to make? Hell, I don't know...it's just a story...don't read TOO much into it.

To my palate, Guiness Draught is sort of like an entry-level stout. It looks impressive, but it doesn't have much in the way of a real bite. It comes in these nifty nitro-widget cans and bottles. If you pour it, it will disply the characteristic Guinness head: large, fluffy, and long-lasting. You can also drink this one straight from the can or bottle. Looks absolutely wonderful. No nose at all...what's there is faintly sweet and malty. Brewed by Guinness in Canada and imported to the US market.

Tastes sort of weak and watery compared to it's more robust cousins. It's a low ABV beer, so it's easy to drink and enjoy. It has some malt character, but it's not at all pronounced. Coffee-flavors abound, even a few light cream sensations come through. Mouthfeel is strictly average. Extremely drinkable, though. It's easy to keep pouring this beer. It's good when paired up with lighter beef and potato meals.

Look, it's a fun beer. It's just not a monster beer by any means. I can sort of see why my buddy drinks it. The Draught is light on the palate, absolutely no bitterness can be found anywhere, and it comes in this sexy, cutesy-widget bottle. All of the elements are there for success. If you're new to stouts or want to get off of the lager/pilsner bandwagon, this is the beer for you.

3.78/5  rDev +9.6%

Appearance – Black with the cascading foam that makes this stout famous. I had this on-top and it was filled to the top, so I didn’t get a chance to gauge the head.

Smell – The aroma is not strong, but I can pick up dark malts and chocolate and maybe even a hop balance. There’s also some light molasses sweetness to this one.

Taste – This is much drier than it smells. It has a nice sweetness with a touch of caramel malt.

Mouthfeel – I thought this was the stout’s strong point. This one is super smooth from start to finish.

Drinkability – A session stout if there ever was one. Not the hardiest one you’ll ever put down, but good nevertheless with an above-average mouthfeel.

3.65/5  rDev +5.8%

Bought a 6 pack of Guinness with the widget bottle. Many people may scrutinize this review because they feel Guinness is the best stout or "Come on, It's Guinness." I hate these smaller bottles.

The bottle poured an extra dark brown with a creamy tan head. Looks appetizing as far as stouts go. I have had it many times before so I wasn't looking too forward to it like when trying a new beer.

Tasted like burnt coffee heh. Your average stout taste. Kinda bland when compared to other stouts. Not a very strong brew but very good otherwise. Would rather have an Extra Stout. I enjoy Sammy Smith brews more.

2.72/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I'm told by those in the know that something happens to Guinness products when they're bottled and imported into the US of A.

From what I could taste, after my session with the "Draught" the above rumor has merit.

For this review I opened a nito widget packed bottle.

The nitro widget does what it's supposed to-- the beer poured with a wonderful creamy but light, tan tinged head.

The head endured throughout my tasting session, with some lacing but generally more of a coating-- like olive oil might coat the walls of a salad bowl.

The beer itself was black as widower's weeds.

So far in keeping with what I expected.

Perhaps I do not comprehend what the essence of "Draught" is.
But in my opinion this beer is a light weight in all respects.

The nose is a nondescript wilted bouquet of hops with a hair of toated malt thrown in for good measure-- but I'm straining-- no distractions please.

The flavor is a watery non-entity- a touch of ale like character, a pinch of roasted malt and that's about it.

The finish was short 'n' clean..

Overall the flavor came in with a wimper and went out with a wimper.

The mouthfeel was quite cordial with a "heavier" body.

Given the gallons of Guinness I've consumed throughout the years, this beer is a disappointment-- even for an imported and bottled product (see my opening statement)...

I'll leave my review open for revision after I try some more of this beer....

3.97/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

As I am referring to the nitro-can, and not to the bottle or to the draught offering, I am going to review Guinness Draught conservatively, and leave myself room for future amendments.

I liked it of course (to say otherwise would be disingenuous) but I regard it the same way I regard Glenfiddich, in the realm of single malt scotch whisky - as a stepping stone to better things.

You gotta love the wild cascading effect that comes with the pour. The body was black, of course, and the head was the normal off-white, but the lacing was different from bottled Guinness or the Guinness draughted from the tap. I was looking forward to counting the rings but there weren't any (and yes, I am using the proper glassware and using the standard pour method) even though the head retained its robustness throughout the time it took to finish the drink.

I thought that by effect on the palate, by the standards put forth by Guinness Draught afficionados, was a bit thin. The taste of roasted malts, however, is always appreciated. Is Guinness a mass-marketed cliche? Perhaps. But it does go down damned easily.

A can 330ml nitro-can costs 5200 won ($4.50 US) in Korean supermarkets and somewhere in the 10,000 won ($11 US) range in pubs or restaurants. Can you believe that? And to think Koreans often call themselves the 'Irish of Asia'.

3.62/5  rDev +4.9%

Ahh Guinness, for better or for worse, THE standard in Stouts. I still think its a great looking pint, the light head on the dark brew, the lightness eminating from the dark as you set it down after taking a sip. Simply one of the best heads ever, which lends a beautiful look to the whole thing. Taste is good, very presentable to someone not familiar with Stouts or a soul that's intimidated by dark brews, but not something that would make one more familiar with various dark beers throw down thier pants and say Hallelujah. Some say its too filling or heavy, but don't beleive what you're told in that regard, I can certainly drink ten pints of this without feeling more full than I would after 160 oz. of any other good beer. The bottom line: its Guinness; everyone should drink bunches of it at some point, but its far from the end all of Stouts.

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.