Guinness Draught | Guinness Ltd.

Read the review
Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

Guinness Ltd.
Ireland | website

Style: Irish Dry Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

Reviews: 2,194 | Ratings: 7,383
4.38/5  rDev +27%

Poured correctly from 16 oz can into pint glass. Pours a gorgeous jet black/dark ruby red color. Amazing to look at. Retains it's tan, creamy head for a long time and leaves nice spots of lacing.
Smells of roasted malt, and chocolate milk.
Tastes of dark chocolate, coffee and roasted malt. Delicious.
Mouthful is light, no carbonation. Dry finish, absolutely excellent.
Overall, Guinness is the go to stout deliciousness I like.
Absolutely amazing.

3.38/5  rDev -2%
look: 5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Look: Thick, super creamy white head that just doesn't go away. Jet black body.

Smell: Not much here, but slightly spicy roastiness and a hint of chocolate.

Taste: Mainly slightly spicy roastiness.

Feel: Watery body, very low carbonation, but that's to be expected from the nitro. Pleasantly dry.

3.83/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured well, this beer is extremely enticing. Black as night and a creamy finger of sturdy white foam that lasts the duration.

Milk chocolate, roasted malt, and some sweet cream/vanilla notes. All rather subtle.

Dark roast coffee, some subtle chocolate malt notes, and overall nice and roasty in character.

Medium-heavy bodied, medium carbonation, creamy smooth, subtle sweetness, dry finish.

Overall, when poured correctly this looks as good as any high quality brew and has a silky smooth mouthfeel, but overall it lacks a rich aroma and flavor. An easy drinking stout for sure.

3.65/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

It has a great sized and creamy tan head. There is a dark amber color in the light, but it looks incredibly dark brown without the light. There are light brown notes fizzing up to the thick head. The head lasts very long, it lasts till the drink is gone. Smells like a fine roasted and creamy coffee. There is a faint chocolate aroma as well. Tastes creamy and of slightly sweety malts. What bitterness there is, is a smoky coffee taste. The mouthfeel is light, like a very liquidated milkshake. While it does have some stout like creaminess and weight, it is surprisingly light weight in comparison to some stouts. Overall, this is probably the greatest easily available stout or Irish beer in my book.

4.28/5  rDev +24.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is a great,smooth beer. It is wonderfully easy to drink and it has a very full taste. I enjoy Guinness Draught on most occasions and whenever I can find it on draft, I'm sold!

4.06/5  rDev +17.7%

Believe it or not, I made it until this St. Patricks' Day season without having a Guinness. But honestly, it's better than I expected.

This beer is beautiful to look at. It's black as night with some ruby red colors if you hold it up to the light. Just amazing, one of the best-looking beers on the market. 5 out of 5.

It smells like some dark roast coffee and maybe a bit of hops, but mostly it's just roasty and dark-smelling. Pretty good, 4 out of 5.

I know a lot of people complain about this beer not having much taste, but I just can't see it. It's got a dark chocolate and coffee bean taste to it. It's not sweet in the slightest, but it's almost as if it were made to be sweet but just didn't have the sugar added. It's a great-tasting beer, and goes down really easy for a stout.

I mean, Guinness doesn't have the greatest mouthfeel. It's a bit watery, and too thin for a stout. Nonetheless, it doesn't detract much from the experience, so that's excusable.

Overall, it's a good beer. I understand why some people who like Russian Imperial Stouts may look down on Guinness, because it isn't in the same league as beers like that go. But as an Irish Dry Stout, it's pretty damn good, and fantastic for the amount that's produced.

3.39/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured into bubbled pint glass, despite recommendation to "enjoy straight from the bottle." At only 11 oz, I see why. Microbubbled head. Dark but clear.

Smells of coal and roast.

Taste: the roast is faint coffee, watery with some skunk. Flavor is almost ghostly.

Mouth is very smooth, not thick at all. Leaves your throat wet.

Guiness is "baby's first stout." A refresher that isn't over roasted or creamy. A watery, casual flirtation with darker beer. It's okay to look, boys.

3.39/5  rDev -1.7%

L= Ok, this beer looks wonderful poured into a pint glass. It's a show to watch.
S= Lighter than I expected. You pick up on the coffee and malt notes, but not a lot.
T= Not what I expected. It is meant to drink all night long so I knew it was going to be on the light side, but I was still expecting more. Still, I'd sit down and watch a football match and drink this all day.
F= More watery than I would have thought.
O= Not bad. I get how people can drink a ton of this during a night out. Definitely would have this again.

2.82/5  rDev -18.3%

I have been looking for a beer that has the roasted quality of this one. I have been craving something like this in my head, but without ever having tasted anything that got close. After my first sip, I said aloud "I have finally found it". Unfortunately, I had changed my mind a few sips later.

Sure, the roastiness is superb. Yes, the coffee notes are delicious. And it is also the best looking beer that I have ever laid my eyes on.
BUT......
Eventually, I noticed that there is a metallic wing to it at the finish. Not pleasant at all. Secondly, the beer is far too watery. If it had more body, a tad more bitterness, and if the metal taste was taken away it would be my go-to beer.

2.26/5  rDev -34.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

I only bought this to get the Untappd badge...

Black beer with a creamy,beige-brown head.
Not much of a nose. Just a hint of roasted malt.
A small taste of roasted malt, a little bit of coffee and nothing more...
Smooth with a dry ending. Almost no carbonation. Waterish mouthfeel.

3.65/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I purchased a four pack of cans from a Pick N Save in Weston, WI. Guinness pours a dark hue with a thick head and a fantastic lacing. This is truly a beautiful looking beer. The aroma gives off hints of cocoa and roast malts but nothing really stands out and wows me. The taste is very smooth and watery with slight hints of cocoa and roast malt. This is cool to drink on St. Patrick's Day but all in all I have had better stouts before.

3.87/5  rDev +12.2%

07/04/2012
The classic pour. The Cascade still amazes me every time. Smooth and creamy, but light, like no other stout. Refreshing despite the thickness of head.Smooth and creamy, but light, like no other stoudt. Poured from a regular bottle this time, so less effect than the draught or the CO2 cans.
03/17/16
On Tap at Killarney's for Lunch.
The Classic Irish Stout. The original Nitro. 3/17, Let's all pay homage and enjoy a legend.

4.43/5  rDev +28.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Super smooth.
Ruby Red (not black).
Fun to drink.
Great creamy head.
Get it at the pub/bar or in the can. Avoid the bottle.
Light beer.
Low calories.
Only a hint of bitterness.
Roasty.

Tried it at the Guinness Brewery in Dublin over the summer. Look: Dark brown/black stout with thick, creamy head. Smell and Taste: Malty and dry. Hints of coffee and chocolate. Feel: smooth. Its true what they say, Guinness is better in Ireland.

4.15/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I'd love to taste this beer again but at least in my area it seems to have been forced out of the market by another nitro stout. so overall I'd give it an incomplete. but in light of the upcoming st party's day holiday I was generous with my marks.

4.74/5  rDev +37.4%

So tastey. Nothing like a good Guinness. Creamy and with malty-coffee tones. Nostalgic and delicious. Fairly light in ACV too. Nice to enjoy in the evening!

3.93/5  rDev +13.9%

Nothing beats the look of a Guinness in a Guinness glass, in a beautiful beer garden with sun shining down. If only there was son/sun and if only I was in a beer garden. I love the blackness VS the whiteness. Brings back so many memories and subconscious feelings.

Aroma, ok not great.

Taste is the perfect balance of flavours. Not as strong as a belgian dark beer, though it works well as a session beer to drink lots of. In my life I have certainly contributed well to their profits. I have never been to Dublin though actually for me Australian and Nigerian Guinness are the best. Nigerian is extra strong :) They sell it in some places in London.

Taste is creamy, with coffee.

I love the feel of Guinness. it is perfect somehow. Creamy and the right consistency.

Guinness makes me happy.

4.01/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Smooth coffee notes. I don't personally pick up on the chocolate people tell me they find. But the velvety nitro head is the perfect way to tell your mouth that something delicious is coming.

Total winner. There is no other stout. None. This truly is the king of the stouts. I've always tried to find another stout option, but no luck. Guinness - simply the best.

Guinness. Pours a coffee-like dark brown with a creamy beige head. Smells and tastes of roasted malts, mocha and caramel. Feels medium bodied and creamy. Guinness is exceptional.

4.23/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Every bottle seems different. Some thicker, some headier. Some sweeter. Some smoky, some blah. Some creamy. Who the hell knows. Buy a four pack, all four taste different.

3.12/5  rDev -9.6%

This is a decent beer but barely above average. I understand the devoted following but I never had time to fall in love with this beer. Sure, it's a classic. But when I turned 21 there were already far better stouts available. It's not that mass produced beers can't be great. They can, and some other Guinness brews make a fine showing. If you love this beer then I'll raise a glass to that, but mine will probably have a better stout in it.

4.37/5  rDev +26.7%

The Gold Standard to which all stouts are measured. Have on tap in my garage with nitro setup.
L - 188 second pour, black as night with white/slight tan head.
S - Has nearly zero aroma except slight nitrogen metallic smell.
T - Smooth and creamy Kona-like coffee, slight butter cream, not an ounce of bitter.
F - Super creamy, slides down like it was made for your tummy
O - Must have on tap in a Spiegelau glass which keeps the lacing all over the glass like diamond-patterned draping. Have had out of bottle and can, but with a nitro keg it is supreme.

2.3/5  rDev -33.3%

L- This is what Guinness is famous for. Poured from a can and within 30 seconds, while it settles, you get an incredibly beautiful beer. Completely black with a creamy, rich, long lasting white head. It never faded.
S- Sadly everything goes down a cliff from here. Toasted coffee, chocolate and grains, but very faint.
T- Burnt toast, coffee, dark chocolate, very weak.
F- Very watery.
O- I remember years ago thinking this was a very strong beer. Now after venturing into craft beer I find this to be a huge disappointment. Way too light and watery.

2.29/5  rDev -33.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.5

What a disappointment this was. Guinness has a great reputation and this beer looks nice, but it totally falls apart in every other area. This came in a bottle that had written all over it "enjoy by the bottle" as though they don't want you to pour it in a glass, which I thought was strange. I did it anyway and it was a good looking stout, nearly pitch black with a thinner than expected white head. Smell is very faint, just a hint of dark chocolate and burnt toast. Taste is strange...starts out very sweet, and after you swallow, there's just this avalanche of burnt bacon, burnt toast, and dark coffee that hits you all at once. No subtle developing flavors here. Despite ALL the flavors at once, it somehow still comes out tasting weak though. Feel is awful, one of the worst I've had. VERY thin, watery, and strangely oily (a friend described Guinness as being like sausage grease). Almost completely lacking in carbonation. Between the initial sweet taste, the thin body, and the lack of carbonation, this is like a flat Coke that has had something go very awry in the bottling process. I may someday try it out of the bottle but I doubt it will fix all the issues I had with this beer.

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.