Guinness Draught | Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

Style: Irish Dry Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

Ratings: 7,736 |  Reviews: 2,267

3.11/5  rDev -12.6%

When I was in high school, I had a friend whose dad thought Guinness was the Eighth Wonder of the World. He traveled to foreign countries on business a lot and knew a good bar to get himself a Guinness in every one of them, be it China, Germany, South Korea, Japan...you name it. He always said that to really get turned on to Guinness you need to have it at a bar in Ireland. According to him, it tastes significantly better there because it's closer to the source and the bartenders there know the proper way to pour it. Maybe that's true, although I suspect it might just be the placebo effect and the ambiance of being in a real Irish bar.

Whatever it is, American bottled Guinness is really nothing special. My girlfriend adores stouts, so I've tried a fair amount of them. My favorite is Founder's Breakfast Stout. I can honestly say that if it weren't for the fact that I use them for cooking, I would probably never buy another Guinness. It's not terrible by any means, but compared to some of the amazing stouts being put out today by America's craft brewing juggernaut, it is absolutely nothing special. I can see why, back in the day before craft brewing, people would think this is a great beer. Compared to the insipid pilsners produced by Bud, Miller and Coors, it's pretty damn good. But by today's standards it's bland and a little too bitter.

I also think it's funny how people think of this as a filling beer, too. I remember when I was a freshman in college I met a guy who drank an entire six pack of Guinness in one sitting and it blew my mind that someone could handle so much of a brutal beer like Guinness. That just seems silly now that I actually have a fair amount of beer drinking experience. Today Guinness seems like an easy session beer. I could put down six of these things like they were Keystone Light.

BOTTOM LINE: Meh. I would only recommend this beer if you've never tried it, just to add it to your repertoire. Manage your expectations though. The only good thing I can really say about it is that it looks pretty when you pour it.

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

3.35/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Tasted 19 January 2014, reviewed from notes.

Pour is pretty, as nitro packages often are. Deep brown, cascading light tan head. One finger, foamy, good retention and nice lacing.

Smell is thin and lightly sweet. Not much stout character that I can pick up.

Taste is kinda like the smell. Just not much to it. A touch of char, a hint of sweetness. Mostly bland.

Feel is okay. A little thin, a little flat. The nitro doesn't really stick in the feel, leaving it kinda dull. It is light and refreshing, which is odd for a stout.

A very light stout without much flavor. Always gives me a chuckle when people refer to beers as "as thick as Guinness". I guess it is what it is, a refreshing stout. Thing is, I don't really want my stouts to be refreshing.

4.19/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4

Poured from a nitro can into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a dark brown that appears almost black unless you hold it to the light. The head quickly recedes to about a half inch of tan foam. Leaves a decent amount of lacing on the way down.

Aroma: Smells like black coffee. Alcohol is very faint; almost nonexistent to the nose. Overall the aroma is pretty weak, but not uninviting.

Taste: I know the canned draught Guinness takes a beating from critics, but I think it's perfect for what it is. It has a creamy, coffee-like flavor with some roasty dark chocolate notes, and the alcohol is almost unnoticeable (like in the nose). It's not super thick, but it's thick enough. Guinness Draught is full of the qualities that make people love porters and stouts - is it best in class? No. But it's never a letdown, either.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and inviting. Very easy to drink. If a "session dry stout" is a thing, it's probably this.

Overall: Guinness Draught is much-maligned, but it gets the job done. I feel this beer's rating suffers because so many people think of it as the apex of beer and it's clearly not. But at the end of the day, it's a fine substitute for a chocolatey dessert. You know what you're getting into here; just enjoy it.

3.71/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

4.25/5  rDev +19.4%

3.99/5  rDev +12.1%

Not sure if one can make a sound argument against Guinness Draught. You don't even need to taste it to know that it has full flavor, you can clearly see it. This is one of my favorites, it really goes good with most things, but especially burgers and other red meat. If you haven't tried this beer (where have you been?), I would strongly recommend it.

3.42/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

14.9 oz nitro can in a Guinness glass.

A- Very dark brown color with more than a touch of ruby red at the bottom of the glass due to refraction. It has the nitro cascade look, very cool, that produces a dense creamy mocha-colored head, about a half-inch worth. The head clings heavy to the inside of the glass leaving some lacing.

S-Sweet creamy alcohol, roasted malts, and just a hint of mineral-like smokiness.

T-Dry roasted malts. I pick up some sweets, too, from the hint of chocolate. Slightly smoked.

M- Thin and watery despite the fact that the dense creamy head never waivers. The malt flavor is short lived and the smokiness is unpleasant. There's no body.

O- Guinness Draught always looks great. It's too bad that the rest it does not measure up. Not all bad of a light beer, however.

4.25/5  rDev +19.4%

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.
Beer rating: 3.56 out of 5 with 7,736 ratings