Guinness Draught | Guinness Ltd.

Read the review

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

Ratings: 7,699 |  Reviews: 2,261

2.5/5  rDev -27.7%

4.03/5  rDev +16.5%

I've tried various things Guinness puts out including the "Foreign" bottles, and I just keep coming back to this one. It just has a very pleasing flavor profile to me. Not too intense, not too "coffee," not too bitter. Just right. It's good in a can, it's good on-tap.
I don't drink stouts often, but I would choose this one over Murphy's and Guinness "Foreign" any day.

2.75/5  rDev -20.5%

3.75/5  rDev +8.4%

3.25/5  rDev -6.1%

2.5/5  rDev -27.7%

3.25/5  rDev -6.1%

4.5/5  rDev +30.1%

4.46/5  rDev +28.9%

This beer is best from a keg. However, the cans are nearly as good. The bottles are no longer good because they do not have the ~*widget*~, which means the nitrogen infusion process is different.

The nitrogen is really what makes this beer unique. I believe the 'ratio' is 30% nitrogen, 70% carbon dioxide. The nitrogen is why the bubbles are tiny and the beer is so smooth.

The smoothness means the beer can be easily pounded. Compared to "light" beers, such as Miller Light or Coors Light, it has ~10 more calories per 12 oz serving. And 5 more carbohydrates (carbs). It actually has less alcohol (4.0% vs 4.2% in Coors Light). In other words, this is pretty near a 'light beer'.

The flavor is mild as well. This is not a heavy, rich or thick beer.

As far as beers go, this is a good beer to have with a meal as it settles well in the stomach. It does not bloat (think Stone IPA).

I absolutely love this beer. I bought the book on Guinness beer. They've been doing this for something like 250 years (can't find my book!). And they got this draught model stout down. There is no other stout like this, even within Guinness' portfolio. And it is very unique overall in the beer world.

One thing I always tell people who ask about Guinness is that when I am in the mood for 'beer', I don't drink Guinness. It has none of the flavors of what I think of in beer, whether that be wheat, hops, bitter, etc. It's something smooth and wonderful to drink.

3.75/5  rDev +8.4%

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.