Guinness Draught | Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

2.5/5  rDev -29.8%

4.5/5  rDev +26.4%

4.46/5  rDev +25.3%

This beer is best from a keg. However, the cans are nearly as good. The bottles are no longer good because they do not have the ~*widget*~, which means the nitrogen infusion process is different.

The nitrogen is really what makes this beer unique. I believe the 'ratio' is 30% nitrogen, 70% carbon dioxide. The nitrogen is why the bubbles are tiny and the beer is so smooth.

The smoothness means the beer can be easily pounded. Compared to "light" beers, such as Miller Light or Coors Light, it has ~10 more calories per 12 oz serving. And 5 more carbohydrates (carbs). It actually has less alcohol (4.0% vs 4.2% in Coors Light). In other words, this is pretty near a 'light beer'.

The flavor is mild as well. This is not a heavy, rich or thick beer.

As far as beers go, this is a good beer to have with a meal as it settles well in the stomach. It does not bloat (think Stone IPA).

I absolutely love this beer. I bought the book on Guinness beer. They've been doing this for something like 250 years (can't find my book!). And they got this draught model stout down. There is no other stout like this, even within Guinness' portfolio. And it is very unique overall in the beer world.

One thing I always tell people who ask about Guinness is that when I am in the mood for 'beer', I don't drink Guinness. It has none of the flavors of what I think of in beer, whether that be wheat, hops, bitter, etc. It's something smooth and wonderful to drink.

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

1.35/5  rDev -62.1%

It's hard for me to believe that I once actually liked this stout. I don't know whether their formula changed, my tastes changed, or some combination.

Pouring from bottle into a standard glass, there seems to be carbonation, and there is even a nice head that lasts a little while. The color is suitably black.

Smell is of black coffee and roasted "stuff," but fairly mild.

Taste - to me, just terrible. Like weak black coffee with other burnt flavors that I can't quite identify. Despite the head, there is almost no carbonation whatsoever. Almost totally flat. This was not an isolated incident. The previous couple of times I've had this over the past 2 or 3 years - same thing. I hadn't tried it again in quite a while, and forgot just how bad it tasted.

There is some creaminess in the mouth - and yet, somehow, it feels watery.

I had this at a restaurant, and I honestly was able to down only about the first 4 ounces before I gave up. My wife sipped it, and wouldn't have any more. My son drank maybe an ounce, made a face, and gave up. We left the restaurant with still at least 6 ounces left in the glass.

2.83/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Pours very dark reddish-brown, almost black, but has a creamy pale tan head. The head is thick and lasts a long time due to the nitrogen bubbles. Reasonably good lacing down the glass, but not as much as I was expecting.

Aroma: Faint 'stout' smell of dark malts with a little roast. Also a hint of apricots.

Taste: Roast barley (although it doesn't stand out), malt (although it doesn't stand out), a slight mineral taste (although it doesn't stand out), and a touch of sourness (although it doesn't stand out).

Mouthfeel: A much lighter body than to be expected, but thickened slightly due to the soft nitrogen carbonation.

Overall: I can't shake the feeling that this world-famous beer (probably the most famous of the stouts?) relies on a combination of marketing and its nitrogen widget for its success. Attempting to disregard the aspects that the nitrogen lends to the beer, it is actually very simple and unimpressive. It's not bad, but it just isn't good.

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.
Beer rating: 40.3% out of 100 with 7,720 ratings