Guinness Draught | Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

4.8/5  rDev +34.8%

291st Review
On draft at Against the Grain
Served in a Guinness pint glass

I can thank this beer for kicking off my enjoyment of craft beer as our paths first crossed at a small bar in Rome, Italy, during July 2005. Cheers to bspringer for wetting my whistle! It's been a fun ride since.

This review of a “Pint of Plain” comes from notes.

A: Very deep brown; I’ll call it black. Single (creamy khaki) fingernail head.

S: Roasty. Deep. Rich. Complex. Roasted malt, chocolate, molasses, and hint of coffee. Exceptional.

T: Follows smell. Classic. Heavenly. And oh so tasty! For a Dry Irish Stout it does not get any better than this.

M: Full bodied with appropriate (creamy and smooth) carbonation.

O: I don’t mean to be cliché here, but Guinness in Ireland tastes way better than Guinness elsewhere around the world. I’ve enjoyed a pint on four continents and it doesn’t get any better than within a 2 mile radius of St. James’ Gate. The mirco market in Dublin is okay at best, but having this gem on-tap nearly everywhere you turn in Dublin is wonderful. Some might judge and compare this beer to likes of Corona, Miller, Coors, etc. due to the mass production and wide-spread reach, but this beer is truly world class.

Reviewing beers on this site is surely subjective, but when it comes to rating a beer, it should be based on its merits compared to other beers of the same style. Hands down, this is the BEST Irish Dry Stout from draft on the planet! This is the benchmark. No questions asked. I’d highly encourage people to remember that when they are reviewing this beer. I understand the bottle and canned version of this can vary greatly while a non-Irish tap will not taste as good; however, if you ever have the chance to enjoy a pint of this from a pub in Dublin, rest assured, you will not be disappointed. If you find another Irish Dry Stout that is more enjoyable, please send me a bottle or message with the name and I’d love to try it. Until I find one that is better, I’ll keep going back to this beautiful creation every time I need a quick reminder of what started my love and enjoyment for craft beer. Cheers Arthur and here’s to another 253 years of the beautiful black stuff!

4.25/5  rDev +19.4%

2.5/5  rDev -29.8%

2.94/5  rDev -17.4%

Guinness is often the only beer worth drinking in English working men's pubs. Haven't had one for well over a year.

A: I think everyone knows what Guinness looks like.

S: A bit of smokey malt. Not strong.

T: Metallic, watery, slightly smokey and sour. No coffee at all. Some citrus in the aftertaste.

M: It's got a widget so it kind of feels like it's been pulled from the pump. Otherwise, there's not much interaction with the tongue at all. Pretty poor.

O: I've been serious about beer for a year and my palate has evolved somewhat. It's a heck of a lot more insipid than I remember but for the casual beer drinker it's still a great alternative to lager.

4.75/5  rDev +33.4%

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.
Beer rating: 3.56 out of 5 with 7,820 ratings