Guinness Draught | Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

4.5/5  rDev +26.4%

4.5/5  rDev +26.4%

Photo of
3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

You had this beer. Write a review.

2.74/5  rDev -23%

Over the years, I've tried Guinness Draught many times. And every single time I've tried it, my toes curl and my tongue hates me. My wife, however, who is of Irish descent, loves it. But, being the objective person I am, I have read the reviews among my peers at BA and I thought I'd give this beloved draught an honest try.

The first thing you notice is the bottle it comes in. Just put it on the table, and look at it. LOOK AT IT. It's just beautiful. The gold logo on that black bottle is the envy of every bottle designer on the planet. But I have to open it up sooner or later, so I'd better get to it.

I poured the draught into a regular pint glass (sorry, it's the best glass I currently have) and watched that classic head appear. A dark brown, almost black body appears with a creamy, tan head. The beauty continues!

The smell. As others have noted, the smell is malty, though faint. Even detecting some of the hints of dark chocolate that others have mentioned.

However, this is where things go horribly wrong between me and Guinness Draught. The taste. Wish me luck...

---

First sip:

Yep, burnt coffee. That's pretty much what the first sip of Guinness always tastes like to me. Burnt coffee with hops in it. That said, it is creamy as others have noted. Nice lacing, too!

Second sip:

Burnt coffee flavor is starting to fade after a few minutes. Still bitter. But the lacing is still there!

Let me finish this. Be back in a few...

---

Okay, I'm back. So, I've finished my first ever Guinness Draft. It did finish out smoothly, but I still have this bitter aftertaste even after 5 minutes. After all the hype, I just don't get it. To be fair, I'm a wheat and lager guy. I could drink a good wheat beer like it's water. This stuff, though? Meh.

Maybe stouts, like oysters (which I love), are an acquired taste. But I'm beginning to think that the appeal of this beer has more to do with its aura than its actual content. Either that, or I'm going to have to fly all the way to Dublin to try one right out of a tap. Till then, I'm sticking to my wheats.

Pros: Beautifully bottled, beautiful appearance. Creamy mouthfeel.
Cons: Bitter aftertaste.

Hey, at least the lacing is still there after 20 minutes!

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.
Beer rating: 3.56 out of 5 with 7,792 ratings