Guinness Draught | Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

View: Beers
Ratings: 7,823 |  Reviews: 2,280
3.9/5  rDev +9.6%

pours that stout balck color with just a bit of color (ruby) shining through at the bottom of the glass, leaving a fine line between the beer and a tan blanket of a head. btw, the head didnt change much from the first sip to the bottom of the glass.
burnt raisiny aroma. nice, more please.
coffee bean-like flavors with a sour/tart finish.
smooth cramy mouthfeel, almost like drinking full cream milk. mmmm.

2.96/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

When the pour settled it left a beautiful dark brown beer topped by a finger of fine tan head. It smelled of Malt and chocolat. It was flat weak and tasted of burnt grain. The feel was smooth, almost watery, with a sour dry finish. I would have to say that this is a beer I would only drink again in a pinch.

3.59/5  rDev +0.8%

Figured that since this is the most popularly reviewed beer on this site I might as well put in my $0.02...It is one of the best-looking stouts being nearly pitch black, and having a good creamy head that laces nicely along the glass. The smell is alright, good for a beer that isn't hopped for flavor. Taste is like a very mild coffee and the nitrogen makes for a good "carbonation" but not a harsh bubbling in your mouth. Being a lighter beer, I can tilt back quite a few of these...

3.48/5  rDev -2.2%

I first heard of this new item when I received an invitation to a party Guinness was throwing on a ferry boat going around Boston Harbor in September 2001. They were going to premier the new Guinness in the bottle. Unfortunately, this shindig has been overshadowed in my life by September 11th (since this party took place on Sept. 10th, 2001). Anyway, I tried the new Guinness and I was impressed with the flavor. The flavor was a 100% improvement on the original Guiness extra stout bottle. However, when I purchased a sixer, I was disappointed to see that it was only 11.7 fluid ounces. I didn't realize this at first, since the Guinness ppl provided us with Guinness bottle covers at the ferry boat party. Also, the design of the bottle makes it look very attractive to those beer drinkers who go on appearence instead of quality. I prefer Guinness by the pint glass at the local pub, but if I need to pick up a pack of Guinness for some home enjoyment, I would purchase the four of the Guinness cans.

3.63/5  rDev +2%

Nitro-bottle is a gimmick! 11.2 ounces is a crock! “Serve Extra Cold” is vile marketing propaganda!

Ink black hue, opaque, via the nitro-widget in the bottle a creamy, beige colored head was produced, about a finger in height, typical cascading effect. I found the overall appearance less impressive out of the bottle in comparison to the nitro-can or nitro-tap. Also the amount of beer looks sadly small in my Guinness imperial pint glass. The nose is small in aroma, light but pleasantly roasted malts that produce hints of coffee and chocolate, watery and hollow, in other words it smells like Guinness. The simplistic pleasantness of the bouquet is also found on the palate, roasty malts produce flavors of coffee and chocolate, sadly watery. The taste is adequate with enough flavors to inspire me to quaff this at the bar when a session beer is needed. The low abv is the most redeeming quality about Guinness in my opinion. Medium-light in body, disappointedly thin and watery, smooth and pleasant mouthfeel. It is plenty easy to drink. This is a beer that has crossed-over many drinker and I will always respect Guinness for that.

2.74/5  rDev -23%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Guinness from a bottle is pretty bad. The only good thing is when the beer is poured and see the little bubbles going down. Also pours a nice thick head. But it's downhill from there. The taste is way too watery. I used to drink guinness quite a bit, but then I started looking for some of the good stuff out there, and now drinking a guinness again is like drinking watered-down stout. There's really no body to this beer. Pluck down the extra 2-4 dollars and get a real six-pack. The only good macro out there is sam adams IMO. Quite honestly, if you're in the mood for an irish stout, go get 4 pack of murphy's or a 6 pack of o'hara's.

3.8/5  rDev +6.7%

The beer pours a deep black color with a thick tan head. The aroma is good. It is full of black and rosted malts. The taste is decent. It is light tasting for a full bodied beer. It has roasted and black malt flavor with a bit of a watery finish. It is refreshing. The mouthfeel is good. It is a full bodied beer with good carbonation. This is the first stout I've ever had. It drinks well, but is far from the best out there. It is a good starter stout for first time BA's.

4.43/5  rDev +24.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

The current nitro-bottle offering from Guinness has an appearance like no other; a swirling pour from the bottle in the colors of off-white, brown, then an ink-black that forms nicely into the glass; a light tan head that maintains it's consistency until the last gulp of this fine beverage. A decent aroma of roasted malts, nuts and coffee beans. Up front, refreshing, crisp, clean, dark roasted malts noticeable. The body has a delicate creaminess and a lingering sweetness; as this is explored further, she is a bit light in the body, and dare I say a bit watery, perhaps from the widget? Nonetheless, a classic stout, great session brew, perhaps thinned out a bit to appeal to the masses?

4.14/5  rDev +16.3%

What can I say? I really like this brew. Sure, it's not as good as Murphy's, but it's still better than most of the crap that's offered at bars and such. It's appearance is a beautiful sight for me, with the cascadeing colors in the begginning, and then it switching over to the pitch black body with the thick creamy tan head. One thing that's cool, is that at the Irish Pud I frequent, they dab the foam on top, so that it forms a clover. The taste is not too shabby. It's got a chocolate maltyness to it, plus the bite of the hops, and then it balances out to a creamy finish. I like this beer. It's gotta be the Irish Catholic in me.

3.73/5  rDev +4.8%

While spending the holidays in a pool in Dubai, Guinness in a nitro-can was the best beer I could find. I guess one doesn't go to the Persian Gulf to drink beer. Anyway, the bartender at the in-pool bar at my hotel poured the beer properly, and it looked mighty fine, deep and dark against the blue sky, with a one finger tan head that lingered much longer than the whisps of clouds baked away by the sun. The smell was roasted nuts, caramel and malt, full and flavorful. The mouth was thick and smooth. The taste? Well, after a week of euro-lagers on tap, the roasty bitterness of this Guinness really hit the spot. Sure, it's better on tap. But the two I had while lounging in the pool that afternoon in early January tasted mighty good.

2.97/5  rDev -16.6%

When I was younger I tried Guinness for my first time. It was one o the beers that led me away from Bud and Labatt's. I really enjoyed it at the time. As a matter of fact, i would have given it 5's across the boards back then. But I am older now. I have had many other stouts since then.
I now know where I went wrong those years ago.
It pours one of the most beautiful black stouts ever made. With a pitch black color and a frothy dark tan head one would expect the perfect stout. This is wrong.
Thre was very little smell. A little bitterness in the whiff, but that was about it other than what might have been a slight coffee smell. The taste wasn't much better. Though it was more complex than the beer I was drinking before that (shitty lagers like Bud and Blue), It really doesn't have much complexity at all. A Musty coffee taste that reminds me of how my grandfathers house smelled when I was a kid with an overpowering bitter aftertaste. There was a poor lack of balance. I don't think I'm going to be drinking this again any time soon.
I do understand why many people think of this as the best beer in the world. They have never tried Shakespear Stout.

2.39/5  rDev -32.9%

Guinness Draught- Joshua Huddys brew house in Toms River.

Appearance- black with an incrediblely thick head.
Smell- roasted coffee and an ashy smokiness.
Taste- at first a bitter roasted coffee that quickly dissappeared. No flavor after the first sip!?!
Mouthfeel- at first bitter then nothing but water. What's going on here!?

Overall- I haven't had a Guinness in years and don't recall it being a watered down mess. Maybe it was served to cold. Regardless, my review stands on what I drank!!
Guinness on tap was a waste of my money and time. I don't care about any beers reputation this beer blew!!!

3.94/5  rDev +10.7%

well, i poured two bottles of this stuff into a large glass. color is black (i did not hold up to the light) the head is disgusting and artificial. it has a creaminess to it that is impossible to enjoy. bubbles are microscopic. i've never had this on tap. is the head suppose to look like this?

taste is mild and roasty. kinda watery but yet dry enough to make it very drinkable. nothing overwhelming or great. just ok. if i am in th right mood and it's a special occassion, i'll use this as a session beer, rarely.

3.54/5  rDev -0.6%

Appearance: The pour yields that classic Guinness settling action, which is always pretty cool. It looks great but it still looks better on tap. A thin tan head sits atop a body of darkest crimson/brown. The beer looks black unless it's held up to the light.

Smell: Not much to speak of. Just a faint roasted malt aroma.

Taste: Roasted malt. A little butteriness can be detected at times. There is a playful but unfulfilling bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Good and bad. It feels silky smooth but also very watery.

Drinkability: At 4.1 you can drink 'em as long as you can stand 'em.

It's better on tap, and it's probably really better on tap in Ireland. Anyhow, it's still good. Although, I can't figure out why I used to think Guinness was so filling. So many people still think this way even though it has such a watery consistency.

3.11/5  rDev -12.6%

Says drink from the bottle kind of strange. Guess the tan plastic ring on top is the head(appearance 1). Not much smell either Tastes is lacking also, little more bitter from the bottle but it tastes more wartered down that way. Tried a glass pours nice and dark with rich creamy tan head. Smells of malt some roasting . Tastes light malt dry creamy touch of hops. Thin mouthfeel for a stout but drinakable. Just ignore drink from the bottle and its not to bad.

3.96/5  rDev +11.2%

This is a great standard beer for me. If I can't decide I'll go with a Guinness. Its creamy and smooth, with a nice slight bitterness. The color is also quite impressive, although to many people the color can be a deterrent, which is sad, because it is a smooth and flavorful beer.

4.14/5  rDev +16.3%

This looked exceptionally wonderful. Pitch black with a creamy head that lasted until I was done. Couldn't be better.

I would give the taste a 4.25, but there are not enough discrete points to give it that. Not very astringent,but with a very good taste.

The smell was good but not very strong. I don't have the most incredible sense of smell so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

2.95/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Since the nitro bottle is designed to be drank straight from the bottle that's how I'm reviewing it.
It's a cool enough looking bottle, but I'd like to see the beer. Watching the nitrogen work it's magic is half the fun of drinking any nitro-beer.
Upon first opening you get a whiff of roasty, chocolatey malt. After that not much of anything can be picked up with the beer inside the bottle.

Taste: I really enjoy this beer on tap, but the bottled version doesn't even seem like the same beer. Roasty, chocolatey malt. Some coffee. Plenty of bitterness, more bitterness than flavor, IMO. Very dry middle to end.

Nice, creamy nitrogen mouthfeel, although drinking from the bottle messes this up a bit as well.
I've come a long way since I first started drinking beer out of a glass and I don't want to drink any beer out of the bottle anymore.
Overall, still a decent beer, but just doesn't compare to the real draught version or even the nitro can whether you leave it in the bottle or pour it in a glass.

3.57/5  rDev +0.3%

Beautiful appearance, but then it went downhill. I was exepcting much more from a beer on tap. Smell was very faint malt and didn't invite you to drink more. Taste was mild, but witha bitter aftertaste. Mouthfeel was watery. I know the abv is low, but there could have been more flavor. Easy enough to drink with the cheesburger I was eating.

4.28/5  rDev +20.2%

Guinness is simply one of those standard beers that the world is a better place for. Its my safety beer. In the average bar filled with Coors, Bud Light and MGD, you can almost always at least Guinness nitro cans. I have come to depend on Guinness in this way.
When the pour is fresh, there is a wonderul thick head on the top of your beer. You should be able to draw in it or make little 'peaks' on the head by dipping your finger in the beer. Guinness doesn't offer a variety or real depth of flavor, but never disappoints. Its flavor hits almost immediately with hints of coffee dark bitter chocolate. I can drink Guinness like chocolate milk - except in larger quantities.

2.62/5  rDev -26.4%

Very dark body, beige creamy looking head, very little carbonation, I was not able to smell the beer at all, maybe I'm getting a cold...
Tasted mostly like thin milk chocolate mixed with a weak pale ale, had some bitterness in the aftertaste.
Feels very creamy but that doesn't make the beer more drinkable to me.

3.43/5  rDev -3.7%

I didnt really like Guinness from the bottle when comparing it to the nitro-can or tap. When poured it sort of flat not as I was used to. Its color was the standard black and the head was rahter weak and not very creamy. Kinda expected that though. The smell was almost dryish. The taste at first was good like a guinness from tap but the after taste is what really turned me off. It had a burnt bacon like after taste. I dont know how else to explain it. It was drinkable but the lingering after taste I didnt like.

4.23/5  rDev +18.8%

While not quite as good as a true pint of nitro-tap Guinness, the nitro canned version is decent. When you pop the top you can hear the nitrogen ball rushing the nitrogen into the beer. On the pour you get that wonderful cascading affect, that settles after a few moments and creates a pitch black, opque beer, with a lovely, dense, creamy nitro head of foam. The aromas are a bit subdued compared to draught, but they are still nice. They consist of roasted malts, and slight hops. The mouthfeel is creamy and smooth, but not as smooth as draught, and the drinkability takes a bit of a hit as well, for all of the above differences.

3.79/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

The pour is the best part of this beer. The wait - watching your beer "build" into shape is great stuff. Its black in color with a thin tan head. Lacing through the drink. The aroma isn't as exciting as some roasted malts are detected and not much else.

The taste is mellow and not overly exciting for a stout, but it is pleasant. The roasted malt is most notible. Very creamy and smooth mouthfeel. The body is thin for a stout, but this make this a great session beer if there are no other good beers on draft.

2.78/5  rDev -21.9%

I must admit, this kind of thing isn't my bag.

Anyone that has seen Guinness will know that the appearance is just incredible. Exactly what stout should look like.

Though I had it a few times served properly by Irish beer maids in the home country, I just don't like the tase of it.

Black creamy liquid isn't for me I guess. Though, I do understand why many would love it.

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.
Beer rating: 3.56 out of 5 with 7,823 ratings