Guinness Draught | Guinness Ltd.

Read the review

Style: Irish Dry Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

Ratings: 7,683 |  Reviews: 2,259
4.46/5  rDev +28.9%

A wonderfull beverage, and one that can be drank all night long. Crisp and dry with a wonderfull smooth mouthfell and the sharp coffee bite of roast malt. When served right this beer is just dangerous, you can finish a pint without knowing it.

3.63/5  rDev +4.9%

Well, as it say’s to drink directly from the bottle? I tried it that way, quite cold, and another cold but allowed to rest in my pint Guinness glass I snatched from St. James Gate in Ireland, I still like it better in the glass. Pours the color all beer should be "Dark", black if you prefer, wonderful creamy head, tons of lace, and that distinctive "Guinness" nose, roasted and toasted malt with hints of chocolate. Start is malt sweet, medium middle, dry finish with a nice hop presence, basically no carbonation, smooth and creamy rich. , not as good as getting a pint at the "Gate", but quite drinkable nonetheless.

3.44/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It doesn't matter if you like this beer or not, you have to admit that the appearance it amazing. Thick, creamy head balanced perfectly on top of a solid black body. Not my favorite Stout and it bothers me a bit that it isn't brewed in Ireland. Kind of watery and not big on flavor. I have yet to try this in Ireland but I hear that it is different tasting. It is a great expereince to go to an Irish Pub in Boston in the afternoon and enjoy.

4.38/5  rDev +26.6%

It doesn't get any better than Guinness in my book. Dark, creamy, tasty. I love the nitrogen bubbles too. Amazingly it is lighter than many lights that are on the market while still being delicious. It's a masterpiece, a benchmark for all other beers to rate themselves according to.

3.68/5  rDev +6.4%

This is the original Irish pub style stout. Rich head, deep roasted grain taste with a slight bitter finish. Very smooth and very drinkable but very filling. I would rate the canned draft just slightly (.5) less if you get it less than 3 weeks old and pour it into a glass.

Damn fine stout, a globally good drink.Canned version is a good imintation of the tap stout.

3.01/5  rDev -13%

I like Guinness Draught much more than these scores indicate. The review is for the bottle and all remarks are going to be comparisons.

I had wanted to try GD in a bottle for some time now. Was it worth the wait? No, but I am glad I tried it. The "rocket widget" IMO was a waste of Guinness' time. Since the label states that the beer is meant to be drank straight from the bottle, most of the head inside will never reach the lips due to the angle of the bottle and the motion of the approching liquid. Also, unless you peel back the label you cannot see the surface of the liquid.

Anyway, the aroma, or al least what was sensed through the neck of the bottle, was really off. It was kind of cheesy, perhaps dried beer from bottling. As for taste, it was certainly different from true draught or even the can. There was less bitterness throughout the beer. However, it did have the lingering bitterness to the finish I had expected. Because of the lack of bittness, toasted grain flavors were more apparent. The body was a thinner than from can; both are thinner than nitro draught.

Overall, not a bad beer. I'm glad I tried it from the nitro bottle. If the time was right I may even purchase it again.

3.81/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Its black. The head is tan/white. The smell is almost non-existent (some oily coffee beans and milk.) The taste is of sour, roasted, burned grain, water and soy milk. The texture is creamy. The drinkability is excellent (you can drink many.) Enjoy!

3.27/5  rDev -5.5%

Had to try the plastic bottle with the widget. Not disappointed, because I had no exspectations. I don't know what the widget does but take up space. The Guinnness tasted very watered down, and it seemed there was barely any in the bottle. I think they should end this "sham", they aren't fooling anyone.

3.71/5  rDev +7.2%

The best thing about this beer is that it looks great with its pure black color and nice beige head with the great cascading effect imparted by the nitro widget in the can.
Has a nice aroma of sweet malt, but the smell is not as big as other stouts.
The nitro widget gives this an extremely smooth, creamy mouthfeel, but the overall impression I get is kind of flat and lacking in body. Malty flavor without much sweetness, hints of chocolate and coffee, but overall seems watered down.
I find that Guinness is very easy to drink, (sometimes even chug) but there are much better and more complex examples of the style out there.
If you want a Guinness that will challenge your tastebuds, try the Extra Stout.

3.91/5  rDev +13%

100'S of Reviews so far, so you all know what it looks, smells and tastes like already, yeah?. So I will spare you the details.

Guinness "Draught" (spelt properly as well ?! Oops sorry!) in a Can. So it's an Oxymoron I know ! - and one for which I would personally challenge them in Court... well OK, only if I had the money. I am English and a CAMRA member, and for me, Draught Beer ONLY comes from a Cask; Not a Keg, Can or even Bottle now I see. But I'm nit-picking and digress.
Anyways, the beer pours black (news to you I know), with a nice tight brown nitrogenous head (yawn...). It looks great and very smooth (Huh, whats on TV...). But Hey!!, it goes down well !. I do not often drink Beer from a Can (this is someone elses but don't tell anyone) - Cans are ungainly receptacles, and a symbol of all that is wrong with mass-produced beer and the scourge of the true craft beer IMVHO (my psychic powers see RobBeers next Forum posting already !!!!).
This actually tastes VERY GOOD, and I would contemplate parting with the Green Paper to buy it - well, if I was held at Gunpoint by a Rabid Psychopathic Machete Wielding Guinness Drinking MadMan, er.. Person, in the nearby 7-11.
Only Kidding ;-)
The Highest Mark I will ever give a Canned Beer !!

3.39/5  rDev -2%

While the nitro widget produces a wonderful looking head that resembles nitro-draught, the overall flavor of this beer seems a little simple. It is exceptionally creamy and drinks easily, but doesn't have the great flavour profile of the extra-stout. However, I have yet to experience any variation in quality as I sometimes do with the extra stout. A good substitute for real draught.

3.2/5  rDev -7.5%

Just not a fan of this one. I picked this at a Mongolian restaraunt because the only other non-macro choice they had was Kirin's Lager. Poured a black coffee like color with a VERY cream tan head. Looks pretty nice. Smells of roasted malt with a little caramel. The taste is overwhelmed with the nitro creamy mouthfeel that just doesn't go well with this almost bland stout. The flavor has light hints of coffe and burnt chocolate and then there is that creamy aftertaste too. Middle of the road at best. Cheers!

4.04/5  rDev +16.8%

Pours black with a thick light tan head that lasts and lasts. Wonderful cake-like lace clings all the way down. Wonderful cascading as you wait for the head to form. This is what appearance is all about, makes my mouth water. Creamy mouthfeel, roasted flavors with hints of coffee. Finishes with some hops to balance and a little dryness. Highly drinkable, difficult to savor as it begs to go down all at once. great beer.

4.58/5  rDev +32.4%

What can I say that hasn't been said before. This is simply an excelent beer. Guinness blends the perfect melody of bitter and creamy. It goes down easy and fast. If all of life was like a nice cold Guinness.

4.76/5  rDev +37.6%

Opaque black with a thick light tan head; I never get tired of watching the cascading as it's being poured and while it sits waiting for the head to form. No beer I've ever had has a creamier mouthfeel. Roasted flavors with notes of coffee. Couldn't ask for a more drinkable beer, never mind a more drinkable stout. I know that by true beer experts' standards (and I ain't hardly a beer expert yet) this is a fairly pedestrian stout, but I always enjoy it.

3.83/5  rDev +10.7%

Excellent session brew since it has a lower alchohol content than a lot of other beers. Nice tight creamy tan head leaves lace all the way down the glass. Lighter body than what you would expect based upon the color. Almost black in color. Accents of smokiness come through in the taste. An enjoyable beer, and entertaining to watch as it cascades after the pour.

4.51/5  rDev +30.3%

Nice striking contrast: perfect pitch dark beer with creamy soft and smooth head, cascading nitro effect similar to hand-pulled beer. For a non-draft beer, it looks perfect. Little to no noticeable aroma at first but warms to a faint roasted sour scent. Taste is creamy but light, surprising those expecting a heavy beer. Unmalted barley taste evident and with slight sourness, finished with nice roasted taste. For a canned beer, I do not see how it can get any better....a session beer unlike any other.

4.03/5  rDev +16.5%

Okay, this beer arrived a very dark brownish black color nd formed an off white head with little lace. It had an aroma malt, smoke and chocolate. The flavor was of malt and chocolate. The body was creamy and the finsh was chocolate with some smoke present.

3.13/5  rDev -9.5%

The thing which stands out to me about Guiness is the way it looks. The head is so majestic, and the beer is opaque and dark as night. Unfortuanely the beer doesn't smell or taste quite as good as some other stouts. It's a creamy and full bodied beer, with a nice roasted malt aroma and flavor, and a nice upfront bite, but I find there to be a slightly unpleasant astringent aftertaste. And with it's low alcohol content, it's too filling to drink very much of it.

4.21/5  rDev +21.7%

A good on-deck beer if it is not available on draft. I can't get enough of the widgets! The major downside is there is a rather small window between too warm and too cold. It is also a little thinner than the draft offering.

4.32/5  rDev +24.9%

The first time I had this, I was in my "quantity not quality" phase. Drinking Bush and Bud at the time, I did not appreciate or enjoy it. Now ordering it is a joy. It poured with a thick off-white head and dark brown/near black color. There was a nice malty aroma. The first roasty flavored drink left excellent lacing. This is an excellent choice when the other options are the macros. I enjoy it even though it is not my style of choice.

4.31/5  rDev +24.6%

One of the best beers in the world, yet still an acquired taste. It is dark at the pour with no visability through it. The head is thick and apparent throughout the glass. Guinness' aroma is high with a coffee and dark chocolate tinge. From the first sip, this stout is satisfying and very much of a knife-and-fork mentality. A true beer fan must try this classic. I know it is rare for someone to give this brew a "5," especially someone who has tried as alot of different brews. But I cannot lie. This is my favorite. When I go to my favorite haunt, I get great pleasure from watching a PROFESSIONAL tap me a quality pint, the proper way. In my mind. It is THE beer in my book. Bottoms Up!

4.06/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

While the stout style is not my favorite, I do enjoy a good one occasionaly. The appearance of Guiness as always is as always exceptional. Not for the novice beer drinker, your typical mass produced drinker needs to work their way to this one. Of course alot of the appeal has to do with the pour, a bartender that doesn't know what he/she is doing can ruin this beer. If your half irish like I am you can't help but love Guiness, I tend to want to drink it when listening to a U2 cd......CHEERS

4.38/5  rDev +26.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap...Jensen Beach Ale House....The best beer served at my local bar. Nice deep dark color, thick, bubbly tan head. I love the cascading effect. Nice coffee, faint chocolate smells. Taste is creamy, silky smooth. Noticable chocolate malt, slight creamy sweetness. When fresh and poured properly is one of the best mass produced beers available. Noticably better on tap, than the bottle widget.

3.83/5  rDev +10.7%

Strange pour, but does settle like a nirto-can and does create the beautiful beige 1/4 inch head. Opeque black/tan color. It is not as good as the can or draught but it is still guinness. I am not letting the other guinness products cloud my judgement... it is above average in comparison to the style and other Stouts. I don't know why they reccomed to serve "very cold" or tell you to actually "drink it from the bottle"? The smooth roast malt flavor is still there though... The brew also seems slightly thinner than the can or draught versions. It is much superior to the regular bottle version!

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.