Guinness Draught | Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

View: Beers
Ratings: 7,894 |  Reviews: 2,303
3.56/5  rDev 0%

Enjoyed at Uno's, Milford, CT, presented in a 11.2 bottle, and a frosted glass.

Usual impressive Guinness nitro head and bubble action, with great lacing. Not much in the aroma department, just a bit of dark grains and that "Guinness" smell, which I stumble trying to put into words. Taste was as expected from a nitro, somewhat deadened, but still a presence, for sure. Mouthfeel was the usual good nitro, and drinkability was excellent. Just don't know about their suggestion to drink it from the bottle, I'll take a glass, thanks.

2.38/5  rDev -33.1%

As far as stouts go, this is the bottom of the barrel. If you want a good stout, go out and find one, but don't settle for this one.

Its smell and appearance are very dark and thick, but the taste is something that most stouts would not be proud of. Its too thin, and runs in your mouth like water.

And to the people at Guinness, PLEASE make your Guinness on tap not foam so damn much. The bartenders spend 5 minutes scooping and repouring and it just makes it even flatter and gives the nitrogen too long to sit.

3.82/5  rDev +7.3%

First of all, I can't help but love the appearance of this beer. The black (with a deep, deep, barely noticable ruby color if you look at it right) and vanilla-white contrast is perfect. The smell though has always bugged me a little, the sour yeastiness makes me think of the old half-full cream container you end up finding in the back of your fridge.

Tasty creamy roasted malt flavor with coffee overtones. Ultra smooth, goes down fast. Like margaritas, there's hardly an alcohol in 'em and you'll have to put plenty down to fall off your barstool. Though the drinkability drops a bit with the "meal in a glass" feel, a Guinness pint only has 210 calories. But, if it takes 6 to make you happy, well, there's your calories. All in all, the more stouts I try the farther this creeps down my list of favorites, but still good stuff, and a great "old standby" in NYC where it's always on tap, even if you're stuck in a sh*thole.

4.2/5  rDev +18%

Lovely stuff, this. Pitch black in color, with a tan head. The nitro widget does an admirable job of replicating the cacading bubbles of a tap pour. Nice aroma of coffee and chocolate, and it comes through in the taste as well. It can be a little bland, but that's not necessarily a bad thing if you're looking for a mellow stout to knock back without needing a spoon. Mouthfeel is absolute satin. Some make a big deal about this not being genuine Guinness, or not up to a pub draw. I say let 'em, if it means there's more of it lying about for me. No point in being snobbish about what is essentially a good, light, utterly drinkable stout.

3.08/5  rDev -13.5%

Nitro boost creates an aesthetically perfect beer that I won't describe as it has already been done ad nauseum. Smell is all roasted malts. Taste is slightly burnt malt in abundance with a hint of hops for balance. Mouthfeel is thin for a stout, and I've honestly had Browns with more body. Drinkability is decent but boring. A one-dimensional that may be representative of the fact that it was imported. Honestly though, Black Butte Porter is a stouter beer than this. Stout for people who like the idea of drinking stout, but not real stout.

4.02/5  rDev +12.9%

Well the almighty Guinness, we meet at last. I was up in Hell's Kitchen for Halloween and my buddy took me to this place Scruffy Duffy's (coolest damn sports bar ever, check it out if your ever in NY) and wouldn't let me order anything until I tried a Guinness on tap. I must say I was very surprised. Dark and smooth, almost coffee like. Then I saw the ABV, 4.1%, with that kinda ABV I could drink this stuff all day!

4.13/5  rDev +16%

Deep black with a white head that lasted to the bottom. Lacing was in nice coats, sheets, rings, etc. Mild aroma, slight roast, some chocolate. Very very smooth, minimal roasted character. Mouthfeel is creamy and not overbearing. Very drinkable and i had forgotten how enjoyable a Guinness can be. Might have rated higher if it wasn't brought to my table accompanied by a totally frozen lager mug. I will never learn about buying beer in restaurants. I politely told the waitress that this was totally inappropriate and to bring me another glass. All they had was mugs for beer. I stooped caring and took one that wasn't frozen. Wrecked the ambience of the brew. Any how, this is a stout i'm not going to ignore any more. A solid stout.

4.18/5  rDev +17.4%

l: 4.5 extremely light tan/white head. very dense though not terribly tall. Bubbles so fine you can hardly see them. Not quite opaque like other stouts. Instead very dark brown with a red tone in the light.

s: 4.0 smells like the chocolate malted grains. hint of bitterness, but the majority of the scent is a sweet chocolatey smell

t: 4.0 taste in the mouth is pretty tame. a little hops and a little chocolate. Aftertaste is excellent, smooth chocolate flavor with a hint of a sweet/bittersweet flavor that is quite enjoyable. You don't sense the alcohol at all; probably due to the low alcohol content and thich flavor.

m: 4.5 nice and thick, while remaining unbelievably smooth.

d: 4:5 It is so smooth and so tasty that i could drink it all day. With so little ABV, you practically could.

3.99/5  rDev +12.1%

What can I say about Guinness that hasn't been said a billion times before? Obviously, the cascade of bubbles in the glass is mouthwateringly inviting. The primary aroma and flavor is that of dark roasted malts, but it's the dry, creamy mouthfeel that makes this more than your average ale.

Guinness needs to be fresh, or it can be terrible; but these days it seems easier to find fresh sources than "back in the day." I know it's popular to believe that Guinness varies a lot depending on where it's brewed, but I'm not sure if I believe this. (I'm not saying I actively disbelieve it, either.) There's a huge potential for self-delusion here.

3.86/5  rDev +8.4%

The quintessential dry stout. This review is on a 14.5oz can of Guinness Draught. This beer is just beautiful when poured into a glass. Two finger light brown head that is very creamy. The head hardly diminishes at all throughout the entire drink session. The beer is dark chocolate brown in color and is completely opaque.

This beer has a very light roasted coffee aroma. The taste also very light and has no sweetness. Just a slightly bitter roasted taste. Smooth as silk with a very creamy mouthfeel. For some reason, I just don’t like the mouthfeel of nitrogen charged beers. This beer surprises in that it looks heavy and full of flavor, but the taste and aroma are both very subdued. Quite a difference from an imperial stout. I’m not a big fan of this beer, but how can I review it poorly when it is the original dry stout? I mean, it’s the gold standard for this style of beer.

A very smooth, creamy and easy to drink beer that suits it’s style to a tee.

2.88/5  rDev -19.1%

Okay, well, Guinness looks great when poured. The head is just perfect--a creamy off-white about a centimeter high.

Mouthfeel is kind of chalky and veering towards a strange paste when it mixes with the head. Hmm.

Taste is quite roasted and there is a prominent copper bitter. Reminds me of the chalk stuff you have to drink at the doctor...

Not a bad brew, just average.

4.23/5  rDev +18.8%

What can I say, this is the beer that started it all.

A dark dream of a beer, black enough to suck in all light around it, and then seems to refocus this light in the pristine small bubble head. Having a nitro kegorator in college just for Guinness was NOT overkill.

Low alcohol lets you really knock these back, mix in a corned beef sandwhich and it is heaven.

You get a mix of head and beer in every mouthful, but makes for a very creamy experience. I love nitro taps!

The taste is not pushing the envelope, but you get your little bitter fix in all the creamy goodness.

Some beers are more appropriate at times, but Guinness is always ready to step up to the plate.

Edit:I've got to knock the taste from a 5 down to a 4. Either this beer is changing or my tastes are drastically different now. Still good...but not close to perfect.

3.48/5  rDev -2.2%

500ml can with widget

On tap, this stuff is everywhere here.

Pours with a thick, dense milky head. Dark black body

Smell is malty, with little to deliver. Not a strong beer so this may be the reason.

Malty in taste. Refreshing and thick, with a coffee kick followed by a vanilla punch and a biiter aftertaste

A fair stout, found everywhere in the world. Easier to drink than guinness original, but not as full of flavour or as complex.

2.31/5  rDev -35.1%

It's black as night and a light tan head abount an inch thick. So far everything's ok.

It smells like burnt barley, I can live with that.

The taste is where it falters. What taste there is, is of burnt barley and not much else. Dry and unpleasant. The mouthful is ok, like waterd down cream, with it's low carbonation.

I think that Guinness is where a lot of people are turned off by dark beers. I'd take it over a budmillercoors, but if there were a decent stout or porter around, I'd leave this for someone else.

3.59/5  rDev +0.8%

A descent stout. Was nice and dark with a very nice foamy off-white head which lasted for some time. Taste was rather bland, it was neither sweet or bitter. I found the taste to be disappointing. Very nice smooth mouthfeel. OK if this is the only dark choice at the bar.

3.18/5  rDev -10.7%

THis is a step up from the standard macroswill that college campuses tend to be congested with. I'm at leats happy that my friend drinks this instead of Busch Lite. Appearance is a light translucent brown, and seeing as how i took the advice of the bottle and drank straight from it, i couldnt tell you any more than that, save for the fact that it kept foaming over the top. Smell is mettalic and wheaty, with some meaty protein hints but not very much complexity at all. Taste is about the same, with a bitter metallic taste, but its clearly not from hops. Tastes kind of earthy, with some wheat and malt in there. Mouthfeel is thicker than most other macros, as would be expected, and there is little carbonation, which combines to make it feel like youre drinking foamy milk. Its an ok choice if you want something a step above regular macro, but not really a good choice if you want a real stout. I hear the Guinness Extra Stout is better though...

3.43/5  rDev -3.7%

Good solid stout. Yes...it's Guiness and the marketing machine is in high gear. But...have to say there is a bitterness about that I just don't care for. It is a very good beer though and will find myself going back to it every know and then. However, Murphy's is the Stout to have. It's just much bettter without the bitter. Murphy's doesn't have the marketing muscle but hell I think it better.

Low ABV so plenty will go down.

Slainte

3.51/5  rDev -1.4%

Served in the 14.9 oz. nitro can, into a pint glass. The color is black, with a creamy white head. The smell is a very slight roasted malt. The taste is a bit of the roasted malt, not very strong at all. Mouthfeel, despite the nitro, seems a bit thin. As for drinkability, well, could have a few of them, especially with the low ABV.

Well, I have to say that one of my favorite parts of beer is the lovely Guinness cascade, which the nitro can didn't do very well. Guinness may have been the first "dark beer" I ever had, but I can tell that I've outgrown it, as this just doesn't have the bite that most other stouts do. It's a good fallback beer, especially at bars that don't have much else, but I wouldn't go looking for it (not that I have to, of course).

3.55/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I had this from the bottle, as the label instructed me to. I peeled the label off, so I have some idea what it looked like. A nice head rested on top throughout the bottle, and even managed to leave some lace on the inside of the bottle.

The taste is somewhat dark but more dry and creamy than anything else. It's got a hint of sour on top of its mild bitterness.

More than anything else, it's uniquely Guinness. It's not as special as some have made it out to be, but it's definitely still a good beer.

3.48/5  rDev -2.2%

Served in one of the nitro "rocket-widget" bottles.

Appearance - I poured this out into a glass, despite the instructions on the bottle to not pour it out. Pours initially tan with that "snowfall" effect while it settles. A head that reminds me of chocolate milk, and it stays on top a good while. Mostly dark brown body with an amber/ruby tinge when held to the light.

Smell - A roasty, coffee-like smell with possibly a hop hint left in there. No chocolaty smells in there, which is surprising. Smells kinda thin for a stout.

Taste - Bitter with emphasis on the coffee flavors. A wee bit of a nut flavor comes through, but nothing to write home about. Again, the flavor is kind of thin for a stout. Not bad, but not great.

Mouthfeel - Very unassuming on the tongue. Slips by without any real imposition. Almost watery/light.

Drinkability - Yeah, it is drinkable, but if you are looking for a true stout, this won't get you too revved up.

Overall - This is a let-down for a stout. If you are looking for a true, full-bodied stout/beer, pass this by and go for a non-macro version. This is a very so-so brew.

4.26/5  rDev +19.7%

Stout is my favorite style of beer, this said I wonder why it took me so long to drink this. Guinness Draught pours a dark coffee black with a creamy, frothy tan head that did not subside through drinking, the head alone will leave you breathless. The lacing on the glass is incredible, you literally can't see the glass because it is covered by frothy lacing. The smell is of roasted malts with hints of mocha. The taste is very suprising, as I didn't like the Extra Stout offering from Guinness, this version is incredible, dark mocha flavors and caramel tones will bounce off the tongue, suprisingly refreshing. Feels very full and dry in the mouth. A very drinkable stout, probably the most drinkable for me, not to rich, nor to light, but my god the head.

3.49/5  rDev -2%

Picked up a four pack of nitro-cans from my local Bi-Lo. I figured it’s about time I try a nitro-can of something.

I really enjoyed the pour on this one. I can hear the can gurgling and groaning as I open it. The experience was pretty authentic as far as I can tell (sans tap), cascading bubbles and all. Its very pretty to look at, a deep, opaque, chocolately brown. The bubbles cascading down in sheets, give it a very textured, attractive look. Ultrafine, creamy as steamed milk head coalesces at the top a nice finger and a half and hangs around rather well. Creamy lace clings to the glass in gobs.

The smell is light, and mildly roasty and chocolately. Malts smell nice and hops are almost imperceptible to my nose.

As the head touches my nose on the first sip I’m reminded of a chocolate milk-shake. Taste is light and changes very little from the front of my tongue to the back. Sweet, roasty malts slide across my tongue and an extremely faint bitter aftertaste is left behind. It’s hard to put together the words Creamy, and Watery, when it comes to mouthfeel but that’s the best way I can think to describe this. Goes down very easily.

Well, this is too watery for me to think that strongly of it as a Stout, but it’s a refreshing drink and the nitro-can adds something to the experience. I’m sure I’ll be drinking this again as it’s the dankest option in many bars/restaurants.

3.14/5  rDev -11.8%

I remember tasting Guinness way back and thinking hey this isn't bad. So I ordered it again, at PB Bar and Grill, after I finished my Kona Pale Ale.

The beer is beautiful. Nice and black. Nice creamy head. No hop aroma. Taste is surprisingly... absent? The nitro kills what flavor there might have been. I try to hallucinate some roasted grains or burnt grains, and I get a tiny whiff. There is a minimal hop bitterness. The worst part is that it is so darn thin. I was struck by the fact that it tasted like water after the moderate bodied pale ale I had just before. It made for a great teaching point for my newbie friends, though. They were so surprised at how thin and light the Guinness was. "Guinness is like a meal" my ass. Anyways, this beer isn't wholly bad, just don't drink it after you've had a beer with any body at all.

3.93/5  rDev +10.4%

on tap at Ralph's Diner in Worcestor

6/12/04 - Served at cellar temp and it helps so much! Now it has a faint, sweet scent. The beer tastes dark and malty, feels creamy, and goes down perfectly smooth.

on tap on Tommy Doyle's

3/19/04 - Such a familiar sight, the black beer, the tan head. And yet this is the first time I've paid close attention to it.

No aroma. Very little carbonation. A nice, creamy texture. But as I drink I note sour hops, a slightly burnt, yet syrupy malt. Bit of metal in the finish, along with the syrup of malt. It never hit me before how sweet this is.

3.72/5  rDev +4.5%

Guinness Draught may not be the best stout in the world, hell it isn't even the best stout produced by Guinness, but what the beer lacks in complexity made up for in style. There are many nitro beers available but Guinness is the most famous. The cascading bubbles are beautiful and the head retention is and consistency is second to none. Pair this with a dark ruby colour and Guinness may be the nicest beer to look at.

Guinness is also a very smooth beer. The mouth feel is creamy but with a low specific gravity and caloric value, this beer also feels light on the stomach. It is certainly easy to drink and makes a good session beer. The taste, although much better than a typical macro is a little on the watery side when compared to other stouts. Still, this beer is available just about everywhere and is allowing beer drinkers to get a consistently good, albiet not great product at most drinking holes.

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.
Beer rating: 3.56 out of 5 with 7,894 ratings