Guinness Draught | Guinness Ltd.

Read the review

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

firstprev| 7626-7650 | 7651-7675 | 7676-7700  | next → last
Ratings: 7,699 |  Reviews: 2,261
4.04/5  rDev +16.8%

What can i say about guinness that hasn't already been said, cascades, coffee, chocolate. The only bad thing about guinness in my mind is that it goes down a little too easy.

After looking at some of the other reviews, I felt I should try pouring this into a glass for a review. Partially because I thing drinking from the bottle is rather barbaric...Much better, I'm not sure what it is exactly, but it seems the beer/nitro seem to blend and settle better when poured. I've actually experienced similar effects with a 'bad pour' of Guinness off the tap. Though this beer is meant to be drunk straight from the bottle, I recommend pouring it into a glass, just as you'd do with the Nitro can. You will not be sorry.

Out-o'-the-bottle review:
I didn't try it before last night, because there's just something wrong with drinking from the bottle. You don't get to see the beer. You miss out on 99% of the aroma...It's just plain barbaric. So, yeah this is a tough beer to rate. Couldn't see it, couldn't really smell it. It tasted OK, but compared to the Guinness I had off-the-tap earlier in the evening, it was rather lacking. (1, 1.5, 3.5, 3, 2.5)

3.8/5  rDev +9.8%

It's ~different~ compared to on-tap but I find it much better than the nitro-can. I'm suprised by the poor reviews. Let it infuse for a minute or two before your first sip.

3.82/5  rDev +10.4%

Guinness is definitely an acquired taste, as are many darker beers. Being that it is everywhere, I finally got the palate for it, and now it seems like a very light beer in comparison to many. The appearance, when poured correctly, is pure perfection. It's like a painting. Smooth as any beer you can find, creamy, with mild bitter notes of chocolate and roasted malt. After a few is rather filling, but I would not say it is a heavy beer at all. Finally have sampled Guinness in Ireland, and I don't know if it's the atmosphere of that beautiful country or the wonderful pubs and people, but Guinness is one of the most enjoyable things in Ireland, more than anywhere else. Not the most flavorful of stouts by any stretch of the imagination, but a classic in its own right.

2.4/5  rDev -30.6%

Who's idea was this? Is this a joke? I feel like someone over at St James is doubled over in laughter: "People in America will actually buy this to drink straight from the bottle! Ha".

The bottle presentation robs Guinness of it biggest asset. That being its magnificent appearance. No aroma either.
Maybe because of this, it seemed less creamy and less robust. Almost like a Guinness light. Strangely, the taste seemed to improve once I removed the silly shrinkwrap around the bottle. I guess it shows that taste is at least partially mental. But honestly, the shrinkwrap was offensive, the fake poured pint look doesn't cut it with me. The rocket-widget-dildo thing was aggrevating as well.

What is most important is that this is not nearly as good as the draught version, or the canned version.
When I want a Guinness, I sure as hell don't want to suck it out of a bottle.
What's next? Guinness 40's?

2.93/5  rDev -15.3%

A strong, black, smooth but dry stout. I'm not quite sure how much value the plastic widget adds but it tastes just exactly like every Guinness I have had.

3.71/5  rDev +7.2%

Quite frankly, I think Guinness is overrated. Don't get me wrong, it's a good beer, very much above average, but if I have the choice of the two I'll take Beamish. It's still a good stout, but if you stick it next to a Shakespeare Stout, it's no contest. Still, Guinness is a good measuring stick for the style since (at least from what I read on this site) it was the first stout as Guinness wandered deeper into the black as their porter transformed into the first stout.

4.63/5  rDev +33.8%

The true pub classic. I have spent more time studying this beer than any other. I judge local pubs on how well they draw the pint, and spent two days in Dublin comparing the pint at the Guinness brewery to its competitors. This is the only beer I know that can be a 3 (due primarily to disappointment) at one establishment and the perfect 5 at another. Find the best pub (measured solely in terms of how well they pour the pint) and never leave.

2.68/5  rDev -22.5%

not a big Guiness fan anyway, the bottle looks cool, the beer is predictable, rather have one on tap if it is the only good beer on,,, but if someone had these in their fridge or bud,,,I take the guiness

3.64/5  rDev +5.2%

The flavor may vary slightly from tap to tap, but Guinness is pretty much equal to all the big name stout's... "a classic". Overall a very good session brew. Some places do serve it ice cold and knocks off the flavor a bit, but an good brew none-the-less.

3.67/5  rDev +6.1%

I enjoyed Guinness Draught from the bottle. Sure, you miss the show in the glass that you get from the tap or the can, but it has that unmistakable Guinness taste. I guess messing with tradition is a problem for some, but not me. I liked the convenience of it. While I will opt for the draft or can first, this version is fine.

3.59/5  rDev +3.8%

This beer is all in the head. Although it looks like Guinness and does taste like Guinness, it is really just above OK. I like to have one once in while when I am unable to get to a pub. It serves the cravings. I noticed lately that is too cold out of the can and you really don't get the flavor or bitterness of the original. Still enjoyable.

bleach. The can was a good idea and was a decent substitute for the pub pour if you were absolutely jonesing for a Guinness. The bottle is just a abomination. To get it to work all the beer flavor was sacrificed leaving a pallid, artificial tasting black, alcoholic liquid. Guinness has gone too far this time. In an attempt to garner even more of the market it is giving its flagship beer a black eye. Part of the beauty of a pint of Guinness is in the pour, the cascade and that fact that you're in a pub. Now with this bottle shit you can sit on the couch in your your underwear drinking Guinness as you would a bud light. Shame on them.

3.06/5  rDev -11.6%

I've never felt that this comes close to the draft experience. The beer always ends up almost completely flat. Taste-wise, it's got the nice roasted flavor with a slight sourness but the creaminess is also lacking in the can.

1.36/5  rDev -60.7%

Guinness, why are you wasting my time with this gimmicky crap? Oh yeah, because there are far more idiots who drink beer than there are true beer lovers, and you want to tap into that market. Sellout, I say.

4.16/5  rDev +20.2%

One of my absolute favorites. The first stout I ever tried and I am still in love with the style. There is just something about watching the smooth cascade after the beer is poured. Smooth mouthfeel and all the way down too. A definite session beer.

4.46/5  rDev +28.9%

There is nothing more drinkable than Guinness. roasted coffee with almond flavours and a two inch thick head that stays right till the end. mmm mmmm...

3.46/5  rDev 0%

Beautiful in it's appearance, and a welcoming texture on the tongue. Smokey/burnt like essense. Smells like a bouquet of flowers and hops. Choice.

1.47/5  rDev -57.5%
look: 1 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

After drinking most of it from the bottle, I poured rest into a glass. Dark ruby black color. Good head retention, some lacing. But who cares, this stuff is to be consumed from the bottle not a glass so I had to give a 1 for appearance. Aroma was skunky in the bottle and in a glass. Flavor, what flavor, watery. Was best when ice cold (crappy when not ice cold.) Weak, thin and flat. Label should say "Watery Guinness Light". Screw the widget rocket. Maybe I had a six that was stored upside down and the nitro escaped into the bottle so when I opened it up, the nitro got out causing a flat and tasteless beer. Who cares, at the going price, there are too many other good beers to be drunk.

Guinness on tap rules.

3.66/5  rDev +5.8%

Not my first choice in stouts. A good fall back since it's available most everywhere.

If nothing else, you've got to credit this beer as one of the great first-steps for a lot of people looking to expand their beer-drinking horizons beyond the basic mega-brew lagers. Mild enough so that it does not scare them off. Not my favorite Irish dry stout, but a pint of Guinness is always like meeting an old friend.

3.48/5  rDev +0.6%

Ok, Guinness Draught is not my favorite but here is why it got the score that it did. Appearance: it got a 2 because you can't see it. This is made spacifically to drink out of the bottle which is shrink wrapped so you can not see the beer at all. The smell and tast are good for the style but this "Draught" stuff is just too thin. By beer rep said they poured it out into glasses to test it and it came out flat so drink it out of the bottle or not at all.

4.22/5  rDev +22%

a beautiful beer to look at, and nice to drink too, plus, of course, the added benefit of being the better half of the best looking drink of all, the black and tan.

3.2/5  rDev -7.5%

Presentation: 14.9fl oz can with a built in widget (they call theirs the "Guinness Floating Draft System") for that "draught-like" quality. No freshness date.

Appearance: Absolutely pitch black with an amazing cascading effect. As the nitro-injection settles it forms a perfect finger width, creamy, foamy, tight off-white head. It's sticks to the glass and the head consistency remains all the way to the bottom of the glass.

Smell: Very pleasant aroma of sweet and roasted malts. Faint caramel note with a finishing of smoked malt.

Taste: Silky smooth mouthfeel, tremendously creamy -- so much so that I always find it difficult to not simply chug the beer in one swallow. Malt is nicely roasted with little astringency. The roasted malts give off coffee, slight chocolate and mild smoked flavors. Things dry up after this, then follows a watery-like floral hop flavor. There's a slight bite, for a brief second, that combines with a touch of roasted malt astringency. The unique roasted flavor carries through as a foundation from beginning to end. Body is medium. Finishes with a delicate roasted and dryness.

Notes: What can I say? It's not the most remarkable Stout that I've ever had. It's not very exciting compared to its siblings (yes, even on tap in Ireland). Apart from "Guinness" (the tap version) this is Guinness' top selling beer, and the most consistent as it's all too easy these days to get an inconsistent poured pint of Guinness. Personally I enjoy and appreciate the Extra Stout and Foreign Extra Stout 10 times more, but you'll find me slumming it on occasion. A mediocre beer.

firstprev| 7626-7650 | 7651-7675 | 7676-7700  | next → last
Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.