Guinness Draught | Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

Style: Irish Dry Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

Ratings: 8,024 |  Reviews: 2,323
3.59/5  rDev +0.6%

Had on tap so many times I can't remember them all. Black as hell and red in the light with big whip cream looking white head. I don't think it really smells like much, sweet cream comes to mind though. Tastes a little malty with a hoppy bitterness and the creamiest and greatest mouthfeel of all time. Many has been the time I've knocked back pints in the double digits of this black brew. Highest drinkability of any beer beccause its so damned smooth. Definately my favourite easily accessible beer, not enough I can say about Guinness Draught except that I need to try it in Ireland.

I've decided I've become fed up with the increasing shittiness of Guinness on tap. Every time I have a pint it becomes more watery and disappointing.

3.8/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured a 14.9oz. Nitro can into a British Imperial Pint Glass and it yeiled a dark near perfect black stout with a half-finer off-white head that was fed from the cascade and that lasted the entire length of the sample.

Smell was of dark caramel, nut, and coffee and it felt slightly less heavy on the palate than it does on tap. I little thin, certainly not watery but it left a weaker consistancy that I am used to on tap.

Taste also a little lacking from the tap. It was slightly more bitter but still lead to an enjoyable finish. Very dry to finish consistant with the style.

Very easy to drink. Although certainly not my favorite stout it makes a great classic fall back when the selection is nill and this is almost always a choice at most places in Boston both at the Bar and in the Store. It lacks a little in the nitro can as oppose to the tap, but still very easy to put a few of them down. IMO, a safe bet.

Guinness Draught pours a midnight red from a 11.2oz black plastic with cream white trim, covered glass bottle. Head goes to well over two fingers and after the nitro settles out, leaves a frothy cap, that stays for ever.

Nose is of damp charcoal and nitrogen, mixed with whiffs of alcohol. Palate is a hops bitter, tempered by the nitro, leaving me wanting more, but getting less.

This brew is all show and no go, give me the malts, give me the hops, and give me the alcohol, the quaff of nitro does not empress me in the least.

I want the stout!!!

I have stoped drinking this stuff, I can't really call it "Guinness" any more.

I am also re-reviewing this stuff... It's going to be all 1's... I have never given a beer all 1's before in my life!

I for one am tired of being exploited, I have been asked about boycotting before, but did not jump on the band wagon... this... this is sacrilege!

Just say no to "Guinness"

2.96/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Appearence: The head melts so wonderfully into the brew. I'm blown away. A dark, dark brew with an almost-bleach head. Little lacing.

Smell: Smells like a stout to me!! Chocolate, coffee and more. Nothing really stands out though.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Water! This is coffee flavored water. I don't quite get it. This isn't a stout. No predominate flavors, and no strong mouthfeel. What's the big deal? Thank God I didn't pay for this. The mouthfeel is thin and watery.

Drinkability and Overall: This is a below average stout, that is nothing special. I've always heard this was a great "fallback" beer if nothing is available, but I disagree. Somehow I managed to skip this on my road to better beer, and I'm glad I did.

2.87/5  rDev -19.6%

It looks like regular Guinness at a glance. Only almost no head and it's not nearly as opaque. Still, the bubbles going backwards are cool.

Smells like almost nothing. There's a nice roasted malt odor to be found but you got to search for it like its a goddamn easter egg.

This does not taste like any Guinness that I've ever had. Nutty, almost. There's a tiny bit of roasted malt up front, a little bit of bitterness at the back. It's too faint to be too complicated.

The mouthfeel is like fucking water. Ditch the widget, fellas. It ain't doing no good. I actually think this might be better straight out of the bottle.

I got this for Christmas. Thanks mom. It's ok, I guess. It came with a little mini CD ROM that shows those adorable little men from the commercials talking about famous plays in sports history. The disc was easily the best part of the package.

3.74/5  rDev +4.8%

Nitro can, pours like cold creamed coffee. Massive brown cascading head with lasting power and lacing. Roasted coffee aroma with chocolate hints, and little hops. This is a bitter beer, smooth and roasted, it has a creamy aftertaste accented by the nitrogen. The body is thin even with the nitrogen, and leaves a coffee aftertaste. This is a good stout that others can be measured against.

2.18/5  rDev -38.9%

This is a shit beer. The only reason I even tried it was because it was on-sale at $1 a bottle at a place I didn't want to be at anyway. So I had one of these. I can't believe that the people who are in charge of importing Guinness into USA allow such a huge quality difference.

This beer is so bad that I won't honor it with much more of a review other than to say that these Guinness people ought to stick to know what they know best. Draft beer.

MF is crap.
D is reasonably good. hate to trash a brewer but here I go.

3.7/5  rDev +3.6%

Ah, good ol' Guinness. This is the beer I credit as starting me towards the better beers in life.

Appearance: This is the one part of this beer I think no one can complain about. Absolutely beautiful. Deep black with a thick and creamy head, and the cascading effect is absolutely magnificent.

Smell: I reall wasn't able to smell much from this one. Little hints of roastiness and maltiness. No hops. Certainly not an unpleasant smell, just not significant.

Taste: Very thin. Creamy with some nice coffee and roasted flavors. In fact, that's about all that's there. Tastes quite good, however not a strong taste in the least.

Mouthfeel: I personally enjoy the nitro mouthfeel. It's a bit then, but the creaminess and texture of the carbonation is distinct from the CO2 and a nice change of pace.

Drinkability: Fantastically drinkable beer. Love to go with these for a session, the ABV is relatively low at 4.2, so you can have a ton and not be in too bad of shape. Given an unlimited amount of free guinness in an evening, i'm not sure when I'd stop.

4.27/5  rDev +19.6%

There's Guinness from the tap, Guinness from the can, and Guinness from the bottle. If you drink enough of the stuff, you'll come to understand - like I have - that the three sources provide three distinct variations on a theme. From the bottle is okay, from the nitro can is excellent, but from the tap... Guinness Draught can be divine. Which leads us to this review - the nitro can.

Pop the top and listen for the rush of the nitrogen as your Guiness goes through a process very similar to what happens when it's mixed at the tap. Pour and watch the brew tumble to a tar-black body crowned with a tawny brown head. Remember that head, because there's a very good chance it will outlast the rest of the beer.

If there's a "chink in the armor" for Guinness, it's the beer's smell. Some stouts have distinct aromas, but Guinness from the nitro can tends to have such a thick set of smells that nothing really comes through. Instead of actual smells, I'd tend to explain the aroma of canned Guinness in terms of weights. For example, one might call the smell of canned Guinness ten pounds of coffee and five pounds of chocolate in the bag for three pounds of gold. But maybe that's just me.

The taste of this beer is perfectly replicated from the tap to the can, as opposed to the bottle. Those of you who've only had tap and bottle will notice a considerable difference. Personally, I find the difference to be a little repulsive, so I was glad to find out that St James' Gate Brewery got it right in the nitro can. For those who no nothing of the taste of Guinness, I urge you not to take my word for it. Guinness is one of those beers you simply have to try for yourself, and if you like stouts or porters, I think you'll enjoy it.

Mouthfeel and drinkability are unbelievably smooth and satisfying. You might as well drink a small saucer of creme if you want to know how Guinness will feel going down.

If you've never tried an irish dry stout before, I think Guinness would be a great way to break into the style. Just be sure you have Guinness on its own before you branch out into black-and-tans or irish car bombs. To experience it properly, I think you have to start with the basics.

3.61/5  rDev +1.1%

Pours a nice dark black with the classic cascading head...leaves a thick fluffy inch and a half head on top. I always enjoy the presentation of Guinness. Nice roasty nose with background hints of cocoa and coffee. A bit too subdued for me, but nice.

A good roasted, slightly burnt malt profile along with hints of coffee and slight notes of chocolate. A good irish stout that goes well with food.

Mouthfeel is creamy, however there is almost no carbonation. Goes down like water. I could have a few of these, but there are plenty other stouts that I'd go to first.

2.35/5  rDev -34.2%

It feels blasphemous to be anything but awed by Guinness, but this product seems sub-par. Maybe the brewers decided looks are more important than taste.
To disregard all other aspects, this is a beautiful beer. I poured it, though I'm not sure you're supposed to, and it did its usual thing with the cascading waterfall rising up the glass. Dark as night, hard to say a SRM for blackness.
The smell was forshadowing of the lackluster performance of this Canadian imitation.
This beer tasted and felt watered down. I gave a friend a drink and he said the same thing. Just a hint of the things I love about Guinness, its a shame.

Ok my first review and had to be a Guinness,lol. Why I really don't like it because back then it would just make me quit drinking. But that was before I experience craft beers.

Appearance: Wow! I love watching the show that this beer put on then it is poured into a glass.

Smell: Same old smell

Taste: Real smooth, so smooth I feel like it's clogging up something when I drink it.

3.54/5  rDev -0.8%

This was my crossover beer, and one that I revisit frequently, as it is available everywhere.

appearance: pours a deep black with hints of red and a thick beige head that will not dissipate. this is one of the most enticing beers that I have ever seen.

smell: sweet malty goodness

taste: rich roasted malt and chocolate with no hoppy bitterness

mouthfeel: dissapointingly thin

drinkability: good overall taste combined with low ABV equals a great session beer

3.91/5  rDev +9.5%

What can I say, I'm a sucker for the look of nitro stouts. Velvety black body, with ruby highlights, and a thick, nitro-creamy, light off-tan head that never goes away. Smells of light roasted barley, mild milk chocolate, and nitro cardboard. Tastes much the same. I like the complexity of the roasted/milk chocolate malt flavor. Combined with the creamy, silky, full-bodied mouthfeel, it makes for a tasty, yet subtlle beer. Better as it warms, and very drinkable.

Some people love to hate Guinness. I think it is the best Irish Dry Stout that man has created. Pitch black with it's creamy tan head that never goes away... I dig nitro dispensed beers... The light aroma of dark malts is nice and mellow. The flavor is every bit as mellow. It is a sweet and has a bit of a roasted malt bite that dry's out the finish. The hops are indiscernible in the background, but that is fine for the style. It is as good in the draught can as it is on tap. I wonder if it really is better in Ireland, but I think the American/Canadian version is pretty good. With it's low alcohol content it is easy to drink all night long.

2.59/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The famed Guinness poured black with a nice white head that left good lacing. The smell was rather weak, with only hints of roasted malts and dark chocolate. The taste didn't impress me either. Some coffee and chocolate and then a strong bitter aftertaste. The mouthfeel was not all that great either, rather thin for such a dark beer. As for the drinkability; if this is the best beer that a bar serves, I'll be drinking rum and coke.

pours a thin black with a neat, smallish off-white head.

pleasant aroma. sweet, roasty, chocolatey.

taste is disappointing. raw potatoes and water come to mind. strange sour roasty bitter aftertaste.

very thin. very tasteless. does not possess most of the stout qualities which i enjoy.

3.2/5  rDev -10.4%

I have heard so many people refer to this stuff as the best beer ever it makes me sick. While i like the fact that it is available in nitor cans, which makes a final product that taste a lot like chocolate milk, there are much better stouts in the world. I do wish this had an abv of the extra stout, i would most likely get it more often.

2.85/5  rDev -20.2%

This brew is guinness with novacane. It is too cold to actually taste, however as it warms, it tastes the same as a standard guinness.

It isnt bad, however, if you are going to go for a guinness, the real one is far superior due to the temperature at which it is served.

Also best on tap in Ireland, I tried one in England and it didnt have the same flavor.

2.83/5  rDev -20.7%

As we poured the can, the beer was a uniform color of sand. As it settled, the bottom was a gorgeous black/brown, with a head the color and almost the consistency of cream. The head is a bit short (could be my novice pouring skills), but is definitely the best part of this beer. It is tenacious and tastes like whip cream. Carbonation was rather weak, and that seemed to lead to the fact that when held in the mouth, there seems to be almost no flavor at all. After that, the aroma is almost non-existent. Aside from the delicious cream, the only thing that stands out is the oppressive aftertaste. Without that, it would be a very average, drinkable beer. But, with that aftertaste, it makes you want to drink it fast, which is a shame.

Overall, enjoy the head, fear the aftertaste. Everything in between is unremarkable.

2.85/5  rDev -20.2%

Well, it's Guinness. We've all tried this one.
My friend swears by this stuff. Me? so so.
Anyway, have had it many a time in bottles/can/tap but they've been advertising this nitro can, so what the hell.
Pours the same black with a thick creamy foam. Beautiful cascading head after it's poured.
Smell, coffee and burnt chocolate.
Taste is about the same - think day old french roast with alcohol.
Mouthfeel, thinner than I remember the other forms, but it has been a while (and lots of beer since). I really expect more from a beer this dark.
Drinkability - sure, if you think it will make you look cool, go ahead.
The BAs know you're just a poser.

3.98/5  rDev +11.5%

Despite the "drink straight from the bottle" recommendation, I poured a bottle, appearence is wonderful, with a thick creamy head that reminds me of the texture of foam on a root beer float.

Smells/Tastes great, not at all overpowering, but the amount of flavor makes me think it should be. Wonderful beer

1.42/5  rDev -60.2%

Well, a fancy nitro-can of Guinness. Never got around to buying this stuff mainly because it's so dammed expensive, and there's always something else I'm in the mood for. I got this can for free.

Appearance - Wow. This beer looks cool. Nice cascading, rippling effect of the beer settling. Looks good for a stout.

Smell - faint toasty aroma. Not much else.

Taste/Mouthfeel - Faint toasted malt - VERY faint. No hop character to speak of. This tastes incredibly watered down, and I'm very surprised. All I ever heard is how "rich and creamy" Guinness is. This is pathetic. I don't wan't to finish this. I'm pouring the rest out in my sink.

Stout water?

I noticed I haven't reviewed this beer on tap and I think that I really should considering the number of times I have had it on tap. This beer is so much better on tap, when it's not old, then out of the nitro can. I think the nitro masks all that this beer has to offer. Not really bitter but more of a chocolate, grainy flavor going along with some creaminess. I could drink this on tap all night long and when compared to Beamish or Murphy's, its in a league of its own.

4.07/5  rDev +14%

I looove the taste of guinness. Crazily enough it was the first beer that i ever liked. If you talk to most people they will say, guinness shouldn't even be under a beer category, it should be a food. they are certainly right. You drink guinness like you would eat a meal. Its hearty and quite bitter, which is why i didn't give it a better score for drinkability. You can't just down guinness after guinness, that would be a horrible waste!

for best results drink from tap at a genuine Irish bar. Doesn't get much better folks

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.
Beer rating: 3.57 out of 5 with 8,024 ratings