Guinness Draught | Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

Style: Irish Dry Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

Ratings: 8,075 |  Reviews: 2,329
3.26/5  rDev -8.7%

Nitro tap pours with the creamiest of creamy heads and thick lacing all the way down the glass. Dark brown, not black.

Faint aroma... too faint to discern.

Flavor, mild toasted malts, far far too mild for a stout. Even milder bitterness. Not characteristic of a stout at all, maybe a cream stout?

Pretty thin body, quite dissapointing.

Goes down smooth and easy, considering its practically water.
Good, but seriously... This is not an irish stout.

Presentation: It was over 5 years that I had a Guinness. At that time, I didn't liked that brew, but I am giving it another try with this 14oz nitro can. So, I don't start with overated or underrated opinion, neither the 300+ years history of this brewer will influence me. Others brewers such as Molson in Canada or some Europeans are old brewers too. According to the official Guinness website, Guinness Draught is only brewed since 1961.

Appearance: It's darker than coffee. The nitrogen helps it to produce an awesome brew to look perfect. I loved it to pour and to watch its great neck.

Smell: Very weak. Some roasted grain smell with hoppy finish.

Taste: A mix of roasted coffee grain and water.

Mouthfeel: Way too watery, but with a bitter aftertaste.

Drinkability: This second time, I enjoyed more my drinking time, but I am disappointed by its lack of taste and personnality. After it is poured in your glass, it is like drinking cold coffee. I hope that I missed something and I hope to review it again.

3.37/5  rDev -5.6%

I have to admit - I am not that thrilled about the beer, but a well poured Guinness settling is one of the most beautiful sights on earth. The beer is good - but not all that many Guinness junkies claim. It is a nice dry stout - smooth and easy to drink. At many "Irish" bars in the US it is the closest you can get to real beer, so it fills a nice niche. The malt bill is impressive - it does have a nice deep malt taste and aroma.

3.12/5  rDev -12.6%

I think this is one of the most gorgeous looking beers. The pour is so much fun to watch. It’s almost black in my pint glass. The head is so pretty and creamy. Smells are of dark coffee and malts.

The taste however is very disappointing. It’s very weak and I would even say watery. It doesn’t have a lot of character.

Its like a trophy beer.. all appearance and no substance.

4.51/5  rDev +26.3%

there is something about guinness that always makes me happy. maybe its the great memories it conjures up, sitting in an irish pub with my grandfather, sawdust on the floor, the smell of stale beer in the air, a coca cola in front of me, and the dream of someday owning my own pub, or playing major league baseball, or being a proffessional cyclist. Well a bar owner it is, a bar with of course, guinness on tap. I am probably a little biased in my review of guinness, there might be other stouts out there that may technically have a better mouth feel, or slightly more complex aromas, but none of them have what guinness has. There isnt another beer out there that commands such love as guinness.This
is what sets guinness apart, what makes it special. I love beer of all styles,colors, countries, and continents. I have made beer, read about beer, written about it, and made a living selling it. I will always come back to guinness.

3.93/5  rDev +10.1%

Ahhh, Guinness. The one who opened my eyes to better beer.

Though not the best tasting beer I've ever had, Guinness is an old faithful for me. After many a pint I have finally had the presence of mind to post on it.

As is often said, Guinness is best enjoyed out of a tap, but for lack of a kegerator I enjoyed it out of a nitro can. There is nothing like the look of a Guinness pour with the cascade joy that ensues, it is as the slogan says "Brilliant!" The beer is just not as thick out of the can however and the effect doesn't last for long, although I had a nice creamy head on my glass for the duration of the experience. It smells of coffee and dark roasted malt and tastes of it too with a good dry bitterness on the palate. Compared to some other stouts it is not nearly as full bodied in the mouth but this does assist me in drinking large quantities of the ol' black stuff.

Everyone should have at least one pint of Guiness draught in their lifetime, and that is all there is to it.

3.31/5  rDev -7.3%

Oh yes, good ol' Guinness, is it just me, or does it seem like Guinness from a bottle or can is just wrong somehow? I've always liked the tap version, it seems much more full and rich.

Anyhow, this one pours from a widget laden bottle giving the pint that classic Guinness nitro head. Creamy and very nice on the lips. Smell is okay, subdued, roasted malt and a bit of a bitter smell. Taste is... well, not what you'd expect it to be if you've only had it draft. Malty with a prevailing bitterness that trails into nothing, very little aftertaste. Mouthfeel is thin and surprising as if you just look at the pint, it looks like the perfect stout, thick and chewy, but no, disappointing.

I think I'll stay away from Guinness in this form, it just doesn't live up the name I don't think.

3.56/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours a very dark, reddish around the edges, beer with the very special Guinness foam that comes from the nitro, stays on top of the beer throughout drinking.

Smell is better than can version. Dark, roasted with clear dry and bitter traces. Somewhat malty but generally nice.

Taste is dark, roasted and malty. Its bitter with a dry malt touch to it, served a bit could to bring out all the taste though.

Guinness is guinness, whether or not you like it ;) This beer should be on tap, not on can or bottle. The only decent guinness on bottle is the foreign extra which taste even better than this one.

Still, Guinness is a classic.

3.86/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Poured from the nitro can into a snifter. By far the most beautiful beer I've ever seen. The only reason I avoid giving it a five is because of my inexperience. The body is utterly black, and it's amazing to see the wonderfully creamy tan head rise out of the liquid in the famous cascading effect. The width of the snifter allows the beer to spread out, forming a huge pool of miniscule tan buddles, almost too small to see.

Smell: Light, which belies it's dark character. Slight malts competing (and slightly beating out) slight hops.

Taste: Initial dark malts, including hints of coffee and chocolate. Nothing very pronounced, but very smooth. Hop bitterness comes in at the end in a perfect balance (that is, very light to match the malts)

Mouthfeel: Smooth, very thick and mouth-coating. Has a creamy element to it. The most satisfying stout I've had in terms of mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Superb! It's so smooth and has such a low ABV that it's no problem. It may not be very complex, but sometimes that's ok.

Notes: Like Corona, a geniously marketed import. Unlike Corona, Guinness has quality to back up the hype. I'd heard that Guinness was "like a meal." That is definitely not true. Although it is pretty thick, the calories and heaviness don't allow me to agree. 12 oz of Mountain Dew has 170 cal, while a Guinness has only 126. I drank 9 cans of this and a pint on my birthday, so it gets big points for drinkability.

3.98/5  rDev +11.5%

Had on-tap @ the Lava Lounge in Waterloo, Iowa..

I asked the bartender if their Guinness was on nitro-tap. He said it was regular Co2 but explained that it was a slow-pour tapper. He wasn't kidding... It took almost 3 minutes to completely fill the glass. When it got to me, it had the characteristic black color but not the dense, ultratight head that the nitro has. Still, a damn good looking beer nonetheless.

Same roasted aroma and taste that you'd expect from Guinness, creamy mouthfeel and smooth going down. I noticed that Guinness on nitro is more creamy and has a better mouthfeel and look thanks to the dense head, but felt that the nitro takes a little bit away from the taste. Still a great session beer and a great fallback on-tap if there's nothing better around.

3.21/5  rDev -10.1%

poured this from a nitro-can with the widget technology. Made a cool sputtering noise when I popped it open. Nice deep dark color with a large foamy head that stays throughout. Has an interesting flavor, almost a roasted taste. The mouthfeel is very smooth, and easy to drink. A decent session beer, but avoid the bottled form at all costs!

3.07/5  rDev -14%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

2.41/5  rDev -32.5%

Didn't think drinking straight from a plastic-coated bottle sounded like fun, so I poured this one into a pint glass. Head was a little disappointing for a nitro, but it's still dark black and looks like Guiness. Smell is burnt malt and coffee. I haven't had a Guiness since returning from the UK a few years ago, and maybe I've become a big-boy stout drinker since then, but the taste is way too weak for me. There are some flavors like roast malt and coffee in there, but it's so weak it feels like you've mixed a bigger stout with a glass of water. Bit of a watery taste in there as well. Mouthfeel is dry and thin. Really thin. Eating-disorder thin.

Overall: Eh. Widely available as a fall-back, but it's so watery that I can't imagine ever falling back to it.

2.72/5  rDev -23.8%

To me, guiness is the macrobrew of english stouts. It poured a deep black into my mug, with a tan head that lingered for quite some time. The smells are of chocolate and coffee, with that malt base. The taste is of malt, molasses, chocolate and coffee, with a bit of yeast and not a hint of hops coming through. Perhaps a bit of very dark bread, also. To me, the mouthfeel is almost milky, with not enough of the carbonation or pepperiness that I enjoy. For that reason, I find Guinness to not be a very drinkable ale. I do quite enjoy a good stout, but for some reason I am not very fond of Guinness. Perhaps it is because I have only had the American bottled version and the nitro can.

4.15/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Guinness is one of my staple beers. One of the more famous imports, this is consumed by cubic meters in Irish pubs. It is nice and smooth, with the darker malts providing a nice flavor that is goes down soft as black velvet. The nitro rocket is a neat little touch, but be careful opening the bottles, sometimes they overflow a little. This makes a great session beer, espically with pub food such as shepard's pie or chili.

Respect beer? Brilliant!

2.84/5  rDev -20.4%

Came in an 11.2 oz. nitro bottle; served in a pint glass.

For some reason I like this stuff more out of the nitro can. It looks better, smells better, and is more drinkable. The nitro bottle seems have a weaker cascading effect, a slightly weaker smell, and more bland taste. It does have a better mouthfeel though.

3.14/5  rDev -12%

11.2 fl oz bottle with the 'rocket widget'.
"Drink straight from the bottle"?, not today.

Creamy, dense coffee colored head that lasts until the last sip. A condensed sheet of lacing with above average strength. Black in colorwith a dull mahogany hue.

Light coffee aromatics. Also a faint mustiness. Not too much in terms of smell.

Creamy light chocolate and espresso. A very present dry-roasted malt character. Moderate, yet smooth bitterness leading to a very dry finish.

Medium bodied; incredibly smooth with almost no carbonation present.

Very drinkable in terms of lightness on the palate, but the nitro bottle is not doing it for me. A much better beer on tap is an understatement. Back in the day, this one opened my eyes to actual beer versus macro-light-crap. Not nearly as exciting as it once was for me, but still an old favorite. This serving type though is extremely unappealing.

3.44/5  rDev -3.6%

Served on tap in the obligatory pint glass. When served properly, this is a glorious beer to look at. It's a very dark brown with a thick, creamy head. As I drank the beer, the sides of the glass were almost totally covered in foam. Between the color and the great lacing, this glass of Guinness is probably the best looking beer I've had so far. The taste is a letdown, though. The mouthfeel is very thin for a stout, and the aftertaste has a dry bitterness that seems artificial for some reason. Guinness is a nice alternative in places with a thin beer selection, but it's basically the Budweiser of the stout world.

2.83/5  rDev -20.7%

The colour is black with a tint of very dark wine red. The finger-thick compact foam (peculiar for nitro-tap beer) is off-white.

The smell is really weak with some metallic notes and a touch of black coffee.

The carbonation is mild, yet quite fresh making it very drinkable.

The taste is much milder than I remember; there is a bitter-sour touch and a burned taste of coffee and rubber bands. The dry aftertaste got some notes of bitter hops and burned malt.

This might be the most famous of them all, but there are some far better dry stouts out there…

3.79/5  rDev +6.2%

A typical nitro pour, it is nonetheless quite beautiful to watch the cascading sheets of bubbles as the deep black stout is revealed and the thick creamy head forms on top. I'm a sucker for a good gimmick.

Roasty black burnt aromas make it through the head. Slightly sweet maltiness starts it all out, with a hint of acidity in the middle, and a somewhat acrid burnt finish with a little bitter. The mouthfeel is very light, with that nitro creaminess throughout. I get an appley character building as I get through the pint.

It's a nice quaffable stout, light and refreshing. Maybe it's not breaking any new ground, but it fits my idea of what a dry stout should be quite well. Why have I not reviewed until today?

Perhaps I'll have another and see if I like it just as much as a second time.

Yep, I do.

3.75/5  rDev +5%

Pours a near black with ruby hints and a creamy foam head. The lacing is good but not glass coating like other stouts on tap. The aroma is of subtle roasted barley with a little bit of sweet and sour in the background. The taste is very watery with some grainyness, roasted coffee and a slight astrigency in the back. chocolate notes and roasted barley bitterness have really been reduced in recent years. The mouthfeel is too watery with a fine soft fizz. This beer has definitely lost body in recent years.

Despite the watery nature of this beer, it is readily available and has some refreshing qualities. Good but not very good.

3.34/5  rDev -6.4%

Jeez, how many times have I quaffed a Guinness? And I've yet to review it...
First off, the appearance of this beer trumps almost all others in existence. There's a reason -- it's a big selling point. The beautiful cascading head is pure art, that can't be denied.
There is not much of an aroma, a faint roasty coffee bitterness, and a musty smell, like a basement.
I think it has a very dry, slightly bitter, earthy flavor, with some minor notes of chocolate, and a strange sour twang that makes it a Guinness. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, but not as full-bodied as the brewery would have you believe. The drinkability is relatively high -- it's a go-to session stout, and one can easily put away several pints in a night. This is what the entire Guinness empire is built upon.

3.69/5  rDev +3.4%

Perhaps the most drinkable and pleasing of the commonly available beers on tap at most restaurants and bars. Guinness manages to be pretty consistant, with an excellent appearance, dark and thick, with a vigorous head and the wonderful nitro cascade. The smell is just average, having little in the way of distinctive aromas, just a basic stout smell and a little less fragrant than some of the better stouts. The taste is well above average, nothing to write home about and not as creamy as I like my stouts, but there is a distinctive flavor of hops that is pleasing. The mouthfull is good and full, what you would expect of a stout. A very drinkable beer. Pretty much my staple in bars that don't have large selections of "good" beers.

4.11/5  rDev +15.1%

Perhaps my fondness for this old friend clouds my judgement and raises the ranking but I do love to get nostalgic and revisit this stout. I always enjoy the warnigns to pour cold (as if the beer police will come for me if I dont).

The color and head were excellent. As usual, there was not much smell associated with the initial pour. The smooth feel in the mouth and the long finish are the best qualities and I find them to be superior in the can when compared to either of the bottled versions.

I know there are better stouts out there and I am told what we get in the states is a pale comparison to what you would find in Ireland but this will always remain a favorite.

4.48/5  rDev +25.5%

It's been a couple years since I've had a draught Guinness. I used to drink it religiously, but kind of lost the faith after I discovered American micros and craft imports.

But last night I found myself in Boston with some time to kill and stumbled onto an Irish pub in Allston -- sorry, can't remember the name -- and was immediately lured in by the sight of several pint of frothy Guinness coming over the bar. I ordered one for me, and I swear it took longer to pour than it did for me to drink. I wound up having three of them, and enjoyed it as much as I have any beer in recent memory.

I'm amazed at people who say that Guinness is 'too heavy,' or 'too strong.' This is one of the easiest beers in the world to drink, and at only about 4% alcohol, you can drink plenty of them.

Just a great beer.

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.
Beer rating: 3.57 out of 5 with 8,075 ratings