Guinness Draught | Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

Style: Irish Dry Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

Ratings: 8,034 |  Reviews: 2,324
3.46/5  rDev -3.1%

A gently rolling, slightly uneven whipped creamy head brought to you by nitro. Very minute bubbles- a technical triumph.
The black is quite beautiful.

Less aroma than I recall in other forms of Guinness.
Some hint of the chocolaty malts.

A full taste with a nice balance of sweet and bitter.

A mouthfeel that appeals to me personally, although it disappears quickly. Theses folks have figured out the delivery mechanisim that makes their stout drinkable in quantity- at the danger of my personal beer budget.

I like tap better, but this is good science.

2.95/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It is hard to knock the appearance of this beer. Watching the cascading effect is truly one of the pleasures of a beer drinker. The smell of this beer is not too strong, some faint notes of roasted malts is all i can perceive. The taste is very plain, this beer simply doesn't taste like much which i believe is do to the nitro. The flavors I do get are those of coffee balanced by a little bit of chocolate. The nitro does make this beer extremely creamy and the drinkability is high as this beer doesn't fatigue the palate. I just don't know who would want to drink this when there are much better stouts out there.

3.3/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass from a 14.9 oz can.

A - This beer pours tar black with a thick light tan head that lingers.

S - Mild aroma of grain and some mild burnt/roasted malt.

T - It tastes of caramel, and some coffe as well. Very much a grain driven beer. Not a lot of hops involved.

M & D - Light body for a stout with not much complexity. Very drinkable and with a low ABV.

3.84/5  rDev +7.6%

I just realized that I never reviewed Guinness. So, after quaffing one at happy hour, I shall give my review. Guinness looks better than any beer out there, especially when someone pours it right off the nitro-tap. Deep brown with a lively white head that settles so tightly, its spooky. I don't know why I'm describing the look of Guinness. You know what it looks like. Neat.

Ok, but as for taste. Guinness is a little thin in the mouth, and though it has the stout flavors of coffee and light choco, it really doesn't ripple with flavor like an imperial stout would. So, on its own it's really not that great. But then again, there's nothing quite like sitting in a pub and throwing pint after pint of Guinness back with your best pals. The posters are great bar deco also. So, yeah. Thin, burnt malt, tiny little bitter hop character, and a big ole cream like head. Maybe the world's most distributed beer, and what I'll take when I run into a dive that has 4 taps - 2 buds, a coors, and this. Good for Guinness.

PS - I hate non beer drinkers who say, "Guinness is like a meal". Ooo, that gets me. Just because it's not transparent and tasteless like a macro, all of a sudden, it's too heavy. It's ABV is less than most macros !! damn !! Have a pint of barleywine and tell me about meals. Ok. Sorry about that.

2.39/5  rDev -33.1%

"Drink From Bottle" What the hell? I poured mine in a Guinness glass anyway.

Pours a black brew with a thick tan head.

Smells a bit like chocolate and coffee, mild sweet smell.

Taste is watery, mild sweetness is there. Slight chocolate and coffee flavors, really too mild in taste. Slight bitterness in the finish.

Watery Mouthfeel.

Drinkable, I guess but just a really inferior Stout. Every other stout I have tried is better, sad really.

4.63/5  rDev +29.7%

Ahh, Guinness. What is there to say about Guinness that hasn't already been said. Well, here's my 2 cents anyways.

Guinness is an opaque beer that can often times be intimidating to those who have never tried it. If you haven't, I would say try the nitro can or on nitro-tap before trying the Guinness Extra Stout, as it is smoother. Guinness is sometimes perceived as thick, syrupy, or heavy. As well as referred to as "motor oil" by those who would rather down a case of [insert macrobrew here] Light, than try a "real" beer.

Once you take the plunge and try it, I think you may be surprised to find out that none of the above descriptions are true. Everyone's individual tastes vary, and it's possible that you may not like this even after giving it a fair chance. However, don't avoid Guinness simply because you believe the stereotypes.

Anyways, back to the beer. As far as taste goes, there is definately a "burnt" or coffee-like taste but I would in no way characterize it as such. Those tastes don't, in my opinion, dominate, and make the taste over-powering. I've run into a few instances where I've ordered it on tap, and it has a somewhat "metallic" taste (perhaps the beer was not as fresh as it could be), but overall this should not occur often.

Also, technically this review refers to the nitro can version, but if you've never tried it before, I would recommend getting it on tap from a place that a) sells a lot (so the likelyhood of it being bad is minimized) and b) has a bartender that knows how to pour one properly. Speaking of which, if you do get it in the nitro can, be sure to pour it properly (I believe that it should be slowly and gently poured in one long pour, as opposed to the 2-part pour from the tap). Also be sure to get your lip under the head for the best taste. I think some people get a big gulp of head off that first sip, and then are put off because of the taste (I probably would be too).

"Lovely day for a Guinness"

3.8/5  rDev +6.4%

I was so excited about trying this new Guiness Draught in the nitro bottle! I poured it out slowly into a nice clean glass with tingles of excitement running through me. I held the glass up to the light... jet black and wonderful! Nice frothy almond head. I took a nice deep sniff.... hmm... not much there. Not bad, but not as strong as I expected. I took a taste. Hmm...it had the aftertaste I expected, but where was the front end flavor??? Kind of felt a little watery. Make that a lot watery!? Not what I expected at all. Not in the least up to the standards I have come to expect from a Guiness brew. I have to say that overall, I'm not impressed.

2.02/5  rDev -43.4%

What did they do to my guinness. I cannot believe that this actually passes under the name of guinness.

Huge creamy head, jet black body.
Water roasted malts, dark chocolate-like bitterness. It is like the nitro sucks all the flavor from this pathetic swill.
Nasty foamy weak thin nastiness.

I had this a half a dozen times just to make sure that this was not a defect at the particular bar I was at and have to say it is the bigest beer disappointment I can ever remember having.

4.24/5  rDev +18.8%

Guinness created the category stout with this beer. By definition, one would expect it to score well if not the best. Honestly, I've always found Murphy's to be a bit smoother, richer and creamier. This glass was well-poured by the bartender--two thirds high, rest, then finished. The head was two fingers thick, light beige and produced beautiful lace. The color was dark, dark brown, nearly black.

The aroma was dark malt with strong coffee and biscuit notes. There was also a slight yeast smell. This was far subtler than I expected. This might be my only real disappointment.

The taste features sweet, malty flavors up front followed by a hop balance. The aftertaste offers a lingering burnt, black patent malt. The liquor is viscous and rich. While not as creamy as some stouts, it is a very full bodied. Overall, an excellent beer that commands respect from beginning to end.

1.92/5  rDev -46.2%

So I think - I've never tried one of these nitro bottles, so why not...
bad decision.
You can't see the beer, so the appearance is a 1. Half the fun of drinking a Guinness is that nitro cascade, tough luck here.
Being stuck in a bottle kills the aroma, what little sneaks out has some roasted malt quality.
Taste was odd, not like a normal Guinness probably due to the lack of smell. Bitter - a lemonade type bitterness, some earthyness, roasted malt, and a bit of chocolate.
Drinkability is awful, I got bored with it halfway through and had to dump. Not as bad as say Corona or Crazy Ed's Chili beer, just boring and useless. This serves no point with the nitro can being on the market.

and the body is water thin

3.41/5  rDev -4.5%

Guinness Draught is probably the prettiest beer i've seen. Pours with a thickness that reminds me of lava as it doesn't ripple so much as just oozes. After pouring a thick frothy head of caramel color arises and continues to develop slowly as the beer settles into it's container.

Smells very deep to me. Like there's alot going on. There's some sort of party in the glass with alot of heavy hitters. Not much else to say.

Taste was a let down after smelling it. I drank in the nitro bottle and the glass. In the bottle this is a hard drink because of the thickness. It's just difficult to get a mouthful. That party that noticeable in the distinct aroma has some how vanished. Roasted barley over powers the taste. After about 3 i felt like having some barbecue chicken because of the roasted charcoal-esque taste.

Feels very heavy in the mouth. Dominates any flavor you may have had. I don't smoke but I've tried cigarettes and I'd imagine this goes with smoking very easily even though it would overpower and type of cigarette flavor.

Overall drinkability isn't very high for me. I can get drunk off of it yes but I would appreciate it much more in moderation with a heavy dinner like the barbecue i mentioned or a hearty beef dish.

3.9/5  rDev +9.2%

pours that stout balck color with just a bit of color (ruby) shining through at the bottom of the glass, leaving a fine line between the beer and a tan blanket of a head. btw, the head didnt change much from the first sip to the bottom of the glass.
burnt raisiny aroma. nice, more please.
coffee bean-like flavors with a sour/tart finish.
smooth cramy mouthfeel, almost like drinking full cream milk. mmmm.

2.96/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

When the pour settled it left a beautiful dark brown beer topped by a finger of fine tan head. It smelled of Malt and chocolat. It was flat weak and tasted of burnt grain. The feel was smooth, almost watery, with a sour dry finish. I would have to say that this is a beer I would only drink again in a pinch.

3.59/5  rDev +0.6%

Figured that since this is the most popularly reviewed beer on this site I might as well put in my $0.02...It is one of the best-looking stouts being nearly pitch black, and having a good creamy head that laces nicely along the glass. The smell is alright, good for a beer that isn't hopped for flavor. Taste is like a very mild coffee and the nitrogen makes for a good "carbonation" but not a harsh bubbling in your mouth. Being a lighter beer, I can tilt back quite a few of these...

3.48/5  rDev -2.5%

I first heard of this new item when I received an invitation to a party Guinness was throwing on a ferry boat going around Boston Harbor in September 2001. They were going to premier the new Guinness in the bottle. Unfortunately, this shindig has been overshadowed in my life by September 11th (since this party took place on Sept. 10th, 2001). Anyway, I tried the new Guinness and I was impressed with the flavor. The flavor was a 100% improvement on the original Guiness extra stout bottle. However, when I purchased a sixer, I was disappointed to see that it was only 11.7 fluid ounces. I didn't realize this at first, since the Guinness ppl provided us with Guinness bottle covers at the ferry boat party. Also, the design of the bottle makes it look very attractive to those beer drinkers who go on appearence instead of quality. I prefer Guinness by the pint glass at the local pub, but if I need to pick up a pack of Guinness for some home enjoyment, I would purchase the four of the Guinness cans.

3.63/5  rDev +1.7%

Nitro-bottle is a gimmick! 11.2 ounces is a crock! “Serve Extra Cold” is vile marketing propaganda!

Ink black hue, opaque, via the nitro-widget in the bottle a creamy, beige colored head was produced, about a finger in height, typical cascading effect. I found the overall appearance less impressive out of the bottle in comparison to the nitro-can or nitro-tap. Also the amount of beer looks sadly small in my Guinness imperial pint glass. The nose is small in aroma, light but pleasantly roasted malts that produce hints of coffee and chocolate, watery and hollow, in other words it smells like Guinness. The simplistic pleasantness of the bouquet is also found on the palate, roasty malts produce flavors of coffee and chocolate, sadly watery. The taste is adequate with enough flavors to inspire me to quaff this at the bar when a session beer is needed. The low abv is the most redeeming quality about Guinness in my opinion. Medium-light in body, disappointedly thin and watery, smooth and pleasant mouthfeel. It is plenty easy to drink. This is a beer that has crossed-over many drinker and I will always respect Guinness for that.

2.74/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Guinness from a bottle is pretty bad. The only good thing is when the beer is poured and see the little bubbles going down. Also pours a nice thick head. But it's downhill from there. The taste is way too watery. I used to drink guinness quite a bit, but then I started looking for some of the good stuff out there, and now drinking a guinness again is like drinking watered-down stout. There's really no body to this beer. Pluck down the extra 2-4 dollars and get a real six-pack. The only good macro out there is sam adams IMO. Quite honestly, if you're in the mood for an irish stout, go get 4 pack of murphy's or a 6 pack of o'hara's.

3.8/5  rDev +6.4%

The beer pours a deep black color with a thick tan head. The aroma is good. It is full of black and rosted malts. The taste is decent. It is light tasting for a full bodied beer. It has roasted and black malt flavor with a bit of a watery finish. It is refreshing. The mouthfeel is good. It is a full bodied beer with good carbonation. This is the first stout I've ever had. It drinks well, but is far from the best out there. It is a good starter stout for first time BA's.

4.43/5  rDev +24.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

The current nitro-bottle offering from Guinness has an appearance like no other; a swirling pour from the bottle in the colors of off-white, brown, then an ink-black that forms nicely into the glass; a light tan head that maintains it's consistency until the last gulp of this fine beverage. A decent aroma of roasted malts, nuts and coffee beans. Up front, refreshing, crisp, clean, dark roasted malts noticeable. The body has a delicate creaminess and a lingering sweetness; as this is explored further, she is a bit light in the body, and dare I say a bit watery, perhaps from the widget? Nonetheless, a classic stout, great session brew, perhaps thinned out a bit to appeal to the masses?

4.14/5  rDev +16%

What can I say? I really like this brew. Sure, it's not as good as Murphy's, but it's still better than most of the crap that's offered at bars and such. It's appearance is a beautiful sight for me, with the cascadeing colors in the begginning, and then it switching over to the pitch black body with the thick creamy tan head. One thing that's cool, is that at the Irish Pud I frequent, they dab the foam on top, so that it forms a clover. The taste is not too shabby. It's got a chocolate maltyness to it, plus the bite of the hops, and then it balances out to a creamy finish. I like this beer. It's gotta be the Irish Catholic in me.

3.73/5  rDev +4.5%

While spending the holidays in a pool in Dubai, Guinness in a nitro-can was the best beer I could find. I guess one doesn't go to the Persian Gulf to drink beer. Anyway, the bartender at the in-pool bar at my hotel poured the beer properly, and it looked mighty fine, deep and dark against the blue sky, with a one finger tan head that lingered much longer than the whisps of clouds baked away by the sun. The smell was roasted nuts, caramel and malt, full and flavorful. The mouth was thick and smooth. The taste? Well, after a week of euro-lagers on tap, the roasty bitterness of this Guinness really hit the spot. Sure, it's better on tap. But the two I had while lounging in the pool that afternoon in early January tasted mighty good.

2.97/5  rDev -16.8%

When I was younger I tried Guinness for my first time. It was one o the beers that led me away from Bud and Labatt's. I really enjoyed it at the time. As a matter of fact, i would have given it 5's across the boards back then. But I am older now. I have had many other stouts since then.
I now know where I went wrong those years ago.
It pours one of the most beautiful black stouts ever made. With a pitch black color and a frothy dark tan head one would expect the perfect stout. This is wrong.
Thre was very little smell. A little bitterness in the whiff, but that was about it other than what might have been a slight coffee smell. The taste wasn't much better. Though it was more complex than the beer I was drinking before that (shitty lagers like Bud and Blue), It really doesn't have much complexity at all. A Musty coffee taste that reminds me of how my grandfathers house smelled when I was a kid with an overpowering bitter aftertaste. There was a poor lack of balance. I don't think I'm going to be drinking this again any time soon.
I do understand why many people think of this as the best beer in the world. They have never tried Shakespear Stout.

2.39/5  rDev -33.1%

Guinness Draught- Joshua Huddys brew house in Toms River.

Appearance- black with an incrediblely thick head.
Smell- roasted coffee and an ashy smokiness.
Taste- at first a bitter roasted coffee that quickly dissappeared. No flavor after the first sip!?!
Mouthfeel- at first bitter then nothing but water. What's going on here!?

Overall- I haven't had a Guinness in years and don't recall it being a watered down mess. Maybe it was served to cold. Regardless, my review stands on what I drank!!
Guinness on tap was a waste of my money and time. I don't care about any beers reputation this beer blew!!!

3.94/5  rDev +10.4%

well, i poured two bottles of this stuff into a large glass. color is black (i did not hold up to the light) the head is disgusting and artificial. it has a creaminess to it that is impossible to enjoy. bubbles are microscopic. i've never had this on tap. is the head suppose to look like this?

taste is mild and roasty. kinda watery but yet dry enough to make it very drinkable. nothing overwhelming or great. just ok. if i am in th right mood and it's a special occassion, i'll use this as a session beer, rarely.

3.54/5  rDev -0.8%

Appearance: The pour yields that classic Guinness settling action, which is always pretty cool. It looks great but it still looks better on tap. A thin tan head sits atop a body of darkest crimson/brown. The beer looks black unless it's held up to the light.

Smell: Not much to speak of. Just a faint roasted malt aroma.

Taste: Roasted malt. A little butteriness can be detected at times. There is a playful but unfulfilling bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Good and bad. It feels silky smooth but also very watery.

Drinkability: At 4.1 you can drink 'em as long as you can stand 'em.

It's better on tap, and it's probably really better on tap in Ireland. Anyhow, it's still good. Although, I can't figure out why I used to think Guinness was so filling. So many people still think this way even though it has such a watery consistency.

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.
Beer rating: 3.57 out of 5 with 8,034 ratings