Guinness Draught | Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

View: Beers
Ratings: 7,917 |  Reviews: 2,308
4.51/5  rDev +26.3%

Nice striking contrast: perfect pitch dark beer with creamy soft and smooth head, cascading nitro effect similar to hand-pulled beer. For a non-draft beer, it looks perfect. Little to no noticeable aroma at first but warms to a faint roasted sour scent. Taste is creamy but light, surprising those expecting a heavy beer. Unmalted barley taste evident and with slight sourness, finished with nice roasted taste. For a canned beer, I do not see how it can get any better....a session beer unlike any other.

4.03/5  rDev +12.9%

Okay, this beer arrived a very dark brownish black color nd formed an off white head with little lace. It had an aroma malt, smoke and chocolate. The flavor was of malt and chocolate. The body was creamy and the finsh was chocolate with some smoke present.

3.13/5  rDev -12.3%

The thing which stands out to me about Guiness is the way it looks. The head is so majestic, and the beer is opaque and dark as night. Unfortuanely the beer doesn't smell or taste quite as good as some other stouts. It's a creamy and full bodied beer, with a nice roasted malt aroma and flavor, and a nice upfront bite, but I find there to be a slightly unpleasant astringent aftertaste. And with it's low alcohol content, it's too filling to drink very much of it.

4.21/5  rDev +17.9%

A good on-deck beer if it is not available on draft. I can't get enough of the widgets! The major downside is there is a rather small window between too warm and too cold. It is also a little thinner than the draft offering.

4.32/5  rDev +21%

The first time I had this, I was in my "quantity not quality" phase. Drinking Bush and Bud at the time, I did not appreciate or enjoy it. Now ordering it is a joy. It poured with a thick off-white head and dark brown/near black color. There was a nice malty aroma. The first roasty flavored drink left excellent lacing. This is an excellent choice when the other options are the macros. I enjoy it even though it is not my style of choice.

4.31/5  rDev +20.7%

One of the best beers in the world, yet still an acquired taste. It is dark at the pour with no visability through it. The head is thick and apparent throughout the glass. Guinness' aroma is high with a coffee and dark chocolate tinge. From the first sip, this stout is satisfying and very much of a knife-and-fork mentality. A true beer fan must try this classic. I know it is rare for someone to give this brew a "5," especially someone who has tried as alot of different brews. But I cannot lie. This is my favorite. When I go to my favorite haunt, I get great pleasure from watching a PROFESSIONAL tap me a quality pint, the proper way. In my mind. It is THE beer in my book. Bottoms Up!

4.06/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

While the stout style is not my favorite, I do enjoy a good one occasionaly. The appearance of Guiness as always is as always exceptional. Not for the novice beer drinker, your typical mass produced drinker needs to work their way to this one. Of course alot of the appeal has to do with the pour, a bartender that doesn't know what he/she is doing can ruin this beer. If your half irish like I am you can't help but love Guiness, I tend to want to drink it when listening to a U2 cd......CHEERS

4.38/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap...Jensen Beach Ale House....The best beer served at my local bar. Nice deep dark color, thick, bubbly tan head. I love the cascading effect. Nice coffee, faint chocolate smells. Taste is creamy, silky smooth. Noticable chocolate malt, slight creamy sweetness. When fresh and poured properly is one of the best mass produced beers available. Noticably better on tap, than the bottle widget.

3.83/5  rDev +7.3%

Strange pour, but does settle like a nirto-can and does create the beautiful beige 1/4 inch head. Opeque black/tan color. It is not as good as the can or draught but it is still guinness. I am not letting the other guinness products cloud my judgement... it is above average in comparison to the style and other Stouts. I don't know why they reccomed to serve "very cold" or tell you to actually "drink it from the bottle"? The smooth roast malt flavor is still there though... The brew also seems slightly thinner than the can or draught versions. It is much superior to the regular bottle version!

4.03/5  rDev +12.9%

Reviewed approx 12FEB02....
Half the enjoyment of this beer is watching the pour and head form! Creamy head....mmm, on a jet-black body. Nice coffee-ish nose. Body is actually not as full as you'd expect by looking at it, but does have a great smoothness. More roasty-coffee flavors, and a bit dry in the finish. A pleasure to quaff, though I don't hold it as highly as I did years ago!

overall: 4.1
appearance: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | mouthfeel: 4 | drinkability: 4

3.79/5  rDev +6.2%

Here's the nitro can perspective on Guinness: It suffers in the can. Perhaps it has something to do with the packaging methods. The canned product says that it is pasteurized, which can affect flavor adversely. Secondly, when tasted side by side with the Beamish nitro can stout, it tastes harsher and less appealing than Beamish .

4.1/5  rDev +14.8%

A properly poured Guinness is really tough to beat. It's got that beautiful dark brown, almost black color, and that one of a kind head that makes you want to dig in with a spoon. The flavor is complex yet understated and subtle. It's rich and creamy and goes down with a silky perfection. Just the thought of it makes me want to run to the nearest pub.

2.91/5  rDev -18.5%

Beautifully thick, dense tan head as expected. Intricate lace is left down the glass. Deep garnet hue and very clear when held to a light. Typically attractive for Guinness. Malt notes are mild in aroma and are comprised of a hint of sharp, dark roasted barley sharpness, and a hint of chocolate malt. Light diacetyl comes through as the beer warms. Roasted grain bitterness dominates the flavor, while hop bitterness seems to be more subdued when compared to draught Guinness. Typically smooth nitro/CO2 mix induced mouthfeel. The finish is soft, w/ less residual roasted grain bitterness than the draught version. It's an okay dry stout, but even canned Guinness seems to have more character.

Everyone knows Guinness so I won't get too detailed. Guinness is my default beer when having quests as it is usually amenable to all. Dark black with an o' so creamy head. Nice roasted character. A very good beer, especially considering the volume it is produced in.

3.18/5  rDev -10.9%

Dark brown/black. Thick head. Cascading bubbles is a sight to see. Smooth and dry with a slight bitter finish. A hint of dark toasted malts. Not quite as complex as I'd like, but maybe its just the lack of traditional carbonation that freaks me out.

4.15/5  rDev +16.2%

In each country the beer varies a bit to meet the local tastes but the American version is deep black in color, with a dense tan head of foam that lasts until the bottom of the glass. This stout also features a surprisingly fruity aroma amidst the massive roasted malt nose. Deep, rich, and bitter with tinges of sourness and flavors of dark roasted coffee, bittersweet chocolate, and malt. The version in the draught-can is somewhat thinner in body and less fruity and therefore more drinkable.

2.74/5  rDev -23.2%

I had a Guinness on tap after a round of golf this week. I couldn't believe how disappointed I was. This brewery gets credits for its longevity and ingenuity. The beer has few flaws, but itÂ’s boring. It simply isn't an interesting brew. The nitrogen-induced head is a gimmick, and the character has been dumbed down for Budweiser tastes. Go for the extra stout bottle if you insist on Guinness. Or, better yet, go for a local or regional craft stout.

As to me I drank this Guinness Draught in "export-to-Finland" variant. This is a black (what else color should it be? :) ) 33 cl can with pour instructions in Finnish and English. Importer is Hartwall OY (www.hartwall.fi)
But ABV is 4,2% not 4,1%.

What can I say about the beer? Even nothing to say: just the stout like it ought to be: smoth, creamy, ground, roasted malt, vivid hops, coffee and chocolate. Every taste sight is separate and at the same time all are combined in a harmony.
I can drink it endlessly... That's why I always buy not more than 3 cans a time :)

4.04/5  rDev +13.2%

What can i say about guinness that hasn't already been said, cascades, coffee, chocolate. The only bad thing about guinness in my mind is that it goes down a little too easy.

After looking at some of the other reviews, I felt I should try pouring this into a glass for a review. Partially because I thing drinking from the bottle is rather barbaric...Much better, I'm not sure what it is exactly, but it seems the beer/nitro seem to blend and settle better when poured. I've actually experienced similar effects with a 'bad pour' of Guinness off the tap. Though this beer is meant to be drunk straight from the bottle, I recommend pouring it into a glass, just as you'd do with the Nitro can. You will not be sorry.

Out-o'-the-bottle review:
I didn't try it before last night, because there's just something wrong with drinking from the bottle. You don't get to see the beer. You miss out on 99% of the aroma...It's just plain barbaric. So, yeah this is a tough beer to rate. Couldn't see it, couldn't really smell it. It tasted OK, but compared to the Guinness I had off-the-tap earlier in the evening, it was rather lacking. (1, 1.5, 3.5, 3, 2.5)

3.8/5  rDev +6.4%

It's ~different~ compared to on-tap but I find it much better than the nitro-can. I'm suprised by the poor reviews. Let it infuse for a minute or two before your first sip.

3.82/5  rDev +7%

Guinness is definitely an acquired taste, as are many darker beers. Being that it is everywhere, I finally got the palate for it, and now it seems like a very light beer in comparison to many. The appearance, when poured correctly, is pure perfection. It's like a painting. Smooth as any beer you can find, creamy, with mild bitter notes of chocolate and roasted malt. After a few is rather filling, but I would not say it is a heavy beer at all. Finally have sampled Guinness in Ireland, and I don't know if it's the atmosphere of that beautiful country or the wonderful pubs and people, but Guinness is one of the most enjoyable things in Ireland, more than anywhere else. Not the most flavorful of stouts by any stretch of the imagination, but a classic in its own right.

2.4/5  rDev -32.8%

Who's idea was this? Is this a joke? I feel like someone over at St James is doubled over in laughter: "People in America will actually buy this to drink straight from the bottle! Ha".

The bottle presentation robs Guinness of it biggest asset. That being its magnificent appearance. No aroma either.
Maybe because of this, it seemed less creamy and less robust. Almost like a Guinness light. Strangely, the taste seemed to improve once I removed the silly shrinkwrap around the bottle. I guess it shows that taste is at least partially mental. But honestly, the shrinkwrap was offensive, the fake poured pint look doesn't cut it with me. The rocket-widget-dildo thing was aggrevating as well.

What is most important is that this is not nearly as good as the draught version, or the canned version.
When I want a Guinness, I sure as hell don't want to suck it out of a bottle.
What's next? Guinness 40's?

2.93/5  rDev -17.9%

A strong, black, smooth but dry stout. I'm not quite sure how much value the plastic widget adds but it tastes just exactly like every Guinness I have had.

3.71/5  rDev +3.9%

Quite frankly, I think Guinness is overrated. Don't get me wrong, it's a good beer, very much above average, but if I have the choice of the two I'll take Beamish. It's still a good stout, but if you stick it next to a Shakespeare Stout, it's no contest. Still, Guinness is a good measuring stick for the style since (at least from what I read on this site) it was the first stout as Guinness wandered deeper into the black as their porter transformed into the first stout.

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.
Beer rating: 3.57 out of 5 with 7,917 ratings