Guinness Draught | Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

Style: Irish Dry Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

Ratings: 8,075 |  Reviews: 2,329
2.36/5  rDev -33.9%

Served on nitro-tap in a Guinness glass.

Appearance Umm.. I think we all know what Guinness served on tap looks like. If you don't you need to get out more. Essentially, inky black with a healthy sized thick and creamy tan head. Guinness is a thing of beauty to look at.

Smell: Umm.. I smelled bar here. The smell of Guinness is pretty much non-existent. You might catch whiffs of smokiness and roasted malts here and there, but then I'd wonder what crack you wuz smokin'

Taste: Massively subdued roasted malt flavor. No real hop presence.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, yet watery at the same time. A conundrum in a glass.

Drinkability: I can drink this easily, and with no shame. But, outside of certain circumstances.. why really bother?

Other: Guinness is the elevator muzac of good beer. Let others trash it all they want, it's not really _that_ bad. It's just not exactly that good either. Still, it's a consistent product (I mean shit, the brewery practically invented quality control as a concept) and it's available at some pretty nice places. I can down a few, look like a manly kinda guy, and not wake up hung over in the morn. What's not to like?

3.13/5  rDev -12.3%

Appearance: Jet black, with a good half inch foamy head.

Aroma: Coffee and chocolate tones. Has almost a creamy nose.

Taste: Roasted malt and lots of coffee. Nice, smooth finish.

Mouthfeel: Quite creamy. Rich, yet not thick. Very nice balance for a stout.

Drinkability: A perrenial favorite that is the benchmark for most stouts worldwide.

I had this at a Guinness tasting. How could one pass up an opportunity for a free Guinness or five?!
While they were replacing the keg we got bottles and the announcer tried to convince all in attendance that it was the same as draft. Sure, except it comes from a bottle!
It lacks the cascading bubbles one gets from the tap and the head is not nearly as high or long lasting. The color is still dark.
I do not think it has the same strong aroma I get from a draft either.
There is some lingering coffee scent.
Taste is not as pronounced almost has a metalic feel. The mouthfeel is not as creamy.
Bottom line, if it can be avoided do not drink the nitro bottle, go with draft.

3.16/5  rDev -11.5%

Pitch black with the big off-white cascading head that makes it famous. It looks so good, yet falls so short.

Smells faintly of dark malts and a hint of coffee. The taste is such a letdown. Mouthfeel is very thin, dark malts are weak at best. The only thing going for it is that you could drink a bunch in one sitting if shooting the cheese at a bar.

There are SO many better stout options that you'd be silly to limit yourself to this as a regular stout. Marketing is amazing, eh?

4.01/5  rDev +12.3%

I didn't mind a Guinness but truth be told wasn't the biggest fan, until I left Australia. Guinness drinkers of OZ, we are being let down. I thought the stereotype of "it tastes better in Ireland" was one of those nationalistic calls that every country needs to make, until I went there. Sitting in the Sky Bar of the Guinness factory with a view over Dublin and a pint of the black, expertly poured, without the touristy shamrock was a great experience. All the true stout flavours and textures came through. A hint of coffee, that slighly burnt taste, a thick creamy texture and not too much gas as Australian so called "stouts" can have, and a head that lasted all the way to the bottom of the glass. The only way to truly enjoy this beer, in the country where it was made...

2.53/5  rDev -29.1%

BLARGH! It tastes like corn flakes, people. A beer that's proof that I could bottle my own homebrew, stick a marble in it, call it special, and sell it. Sigh.

You can't see the beer, so I'm not sure how to judge appearance. And for fuck's sake -- you can't even pull the label off the bottle in a drunken stupor since it's plastic that's shrink-wrapped to the bottle shape. But I will give it a 1.5 because the bottle is kind of sexy looking -- curvy like a fine woman. (I choose to see the silver lining.) Similarly, no aroma escapes the bottle. Tastes OK. More or less like Guinness with the flavor boiled out or diluted with milk or something. I'm telling you; it tastes like corn flakes. Reasonably creamy still, which is nice. And hey, for a beer that is supposed to be slammed from the bottle, it's pretty drinkable.

But let's not kid ourselves here, folks. Why not just drink from your toilet? Find a better Guinness.

3.52/5  rDev -1.4%

My first Guinness was a horrid bottled beer many years ago. Today's version with the "widget" delivering something resembling a hand-pulled mouthfeel is a great improvement. The Draught cans still have a somewhat “fizzier” head than a draft pull, but at least the head is creamy and plays well with the roasty beer body. Good smoked peat taste. Acidic, too. I've based my ratings on the pint "pub draught" cans that have been in my beer fridge for over two years now (one left), and it seems to have aged pretty well.

4.04/5  rDev +13.2%

I don't care how "common" this beer may be, I say it is perfect in appearance for the style. What other beer has that velveteen cream head in which you can make two eyes a nose and a smiley face in the head and still see it when your finished? The aromas are fine, while the nitrogen charged mouthfeel is one of the worlds great mouthfeels. It must be experienced! The taste is all guiness. A near perfect balance in all things beer. A lovely bitter and a dry style that I can let slither down my gullet all night. I can drink this, and have in a hot sweaty, crowded bar in the middle of August and find refreshment. I hear in Ireland that this beer is even more delicious. I'm half Irish and will one day discover this legend.

3.99/5  rDev +11.8%

If you want to talk appearance...this is a beer to be talking about. Its fun to just watch. The head is almost surreal as it forms. As a homebrewer it is baffling. The head is so creamy looking, off-white, small bubbled froth. It never disipates, it just follows the beer to the bottom of the glass until you feel its time to suck it down. Smell is chocolate but a mild smell all around. Not very strong. Definately not hoppy. Tastes of malt and chocolate and definately some coffee notes. The mouthfeel is so Creamy. Sort of chewy. I'm not a big Guiness drinker so I've got no Idea how the Ol' tummy handles it in larger quanities, but, I'd sure give it a try one night. Seems a little too creamy to try drinking it all night. But thats just me. A damn good beer

3.96/5  rDev +10.9%

This is a great beer. It just looks awesome with the cascading effect of the head. The head just last the entire glass. tonight mine was served with a four leaved cloved drawn on the head that stayed there till the end.

The smell was very roasty with coffe and burnt caramel smells. The taste was the same.

Mouthfeel was great, it was very rich and smooth with little carbonation but it fit the stout just right.

This wasn't very drinkable. I could substitute this with my meal because it is so thick.

2.49/5  rDev -30.3%

This is the nitro bottle version. Very smooth tasting almost creamy, a bit of roastiness. Overall very clean and not too exciting. Carbonation is very low, and in this beer makes it seem a bit too thin. Much better versions of Guiinness exist, the Belgian version is awesome.

3.54/5  rDev -0.8%

The beer pours forth in a thin stream from the tap, deep beige cascading to black, topped with a thick, creamy sand colored head. Great lacework, typical nitro clinginess.
Aroma is mildly roasty, a bit tinny from the nitro. Very mild hopping. No real extraneous aroma, just simple and classic. A touch of coffee, but that's about it.
Flavor is fairly thin and lightly roasty. Roasted malt flavor prevails from start to finish. Very easy drinking, with smooth nitro carbonation and light bitterness, mostly from the roasted malt. Hops provide a solid dryness to the finish, leaving a slight black coffee aftertaste. Some tinny metallic flavor, with a flavor deadening effect from the nitrogen.
Very simple, but a pleasant beer to drink when the tap selection's limited. Very easy to drink, with enough flavor to keep you interested. A definitive beer.

2.99/5  rDev -16.2%

Pours a deep brown, with that big creamy cream head, impossibly slow to fall. Lace is extremely thick, leaving stain of a similar quality that create a second wall on the glass. Eerily attractive from the nitrogen but must give it some credit. Smell was faintly of dark chocolate mixed with oak, with some lighter oaky and roasty scents too. Not easy to sniff. Taste begins with the lightly creamy taste of the abundant head, then comes the thin dark malts and roasted barley, oaky notes, and ends with a short to medium finish of similar burnt flavors. That very thin mouthfeel strikes too close to water, makes it feel as weak as the taste, though this does get alleviated by the hyper-creamy head to a thicker feel.

I wonder what it would be like if we got the original Irish recipe, draughting, and serving temperature...

Not bad, but I've always considered Guinness' most appealing element to be it's silk-like smoothness. This, of course, is from the nitrogen it's either kegged or bottled with. Otherwise, apart from it's appealing crispness, I've never found anything about this beer to write home about. Instead, I always find myself wondering what other beers would be like with a nitro tap...

3.91/5  rDev +9.5%

The Guinness draught pours a jet black with the beautiful creamy off white head that lasts forever. One could go into a Zen like state watching the head cascade and form. The smell is of roasted malts and grains, with heavy coffee, and chocolate notes. The taste is similar with flavours of coffee, chocolate and caramel. There is some bitterness from the roasted malts, not so much from the hops. The mouthfeel is creamy and smooth with a touch of dryness at the backend..This is a great session beer as the low ABV keeps you from getting too loopy. But be careful, as too many of these in a night can do frightening things to your innards

3.22/5  rDev -9.8%

Say what you will about nitrogen and it's effects on taste etc., but it's hard to find a better looking beer than this. Black in color with a head that looks like meringue. Cascading effects are very cool. Very smooth and velvety taste/mouth feel, kind of artificial. Lots of roasted malt flavors somewhat chewy in texture. Some lasting bitterness for the finish. Pretty damn good for coming out of the can.

4.31/5  rDev +20.7%

A true classic among beers, I was re aquanted with it tonight on tap at Dave&Busters. The bar tender even knew how to pour it correctly, I was shocked! Anyways, it poured that great dark black color with a great creamy head that stayed throughout the whole glass. It smelled of roasted coffee and chocolate and tasted pretty much the same. The mouthfeel was great and creamy and it really opened up once it hit your tounge with a bit of a tingle. I could have drank it all night, but at 4 bucks a pint glass my pocketbook was saying "no". This is one macro that still tastes fucking great!

3.55/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

It seems rather strange to drink this Guinness right from the bottle, as the directions on said bottle told me to do so. I'd had this nitro bottle before and didn't follow the directions and poured it into a glass. I really liked the sheeting action from it.

This time, points get deducted because I can't see the damn beer. It's dark....I'll give it that. Aromas are still on the thin side. Some coffee, chocolate, and nuts. Taste was a little fuller than expected, but still nothing great, with the roasted coffee and chocolate trying to show some muscle but really not doing much of anything. Smooth and creamy mouthfeel. Drinkability suffers since I really enjoy the "visuals" associated with a well-poured Guinness. I'll still take a fresh pint over any botte, nitro-bottle, nitro-can, etc.

4.68/5  rDev +31.1%

These new nitro bottles have been staring me down from the shelves and coolers this past year, taunting me, even heckling me when I'd consistently pass them by for a 6 of something else. I'm at odds, I love trying new stuff that I find, but at the same time I inherently distrust any new changes to old norms. This would be one of them. Guinness in a bottle, with a widget? Oh it's a mad world. And they recommend that you drink it straight from the bottle. Yeah, fat chance fellas...

Poured it from it's 330 ml nitro bottle straight into a Guinness pint glass (regulation size I think....). Good Golly Miss Molly, that is probably THE most beautiful pour I have ever witnessed from a bottle (or any other vessel). Same traditional Guinness pour, nitrogen cascade slowly leveling upwards in a shower of tan layers until only a black curtain remains, topped by a thick beige head that leaves a spiderweb network of lacing all the way down the pint glass. I am very impressed. Aroma of roasted malt and coffee, very inviting. Flavour to match as well, mouthfeel is thick and creamy, rich and satisfying. I could drink this all year. Guinness used to be my standard ever since I was legal, I used to swear by it. Over the years it became a bit too much of a pop culture phenomenon, passe, and I've drifted away due to this image and in search of different stouts. Still, it's wonderful to come home like this. If only all macros were brewed to this caliber. High volume consistency is an art form in itself when it comes to this sort of quality. I've always loved the extra stout, but when it comes to buying draught at the beer store, mine will now always come in bottles. Halelujah!

3.93/5  rDev +10.1%

Dark black color, large creamy head, is there anything more pretty in beerland than a Guinness pour? Rich caramel malts, strong roasted malt flavor, nearly chocolate. A Guinness is a Guinness.. Finish is smooth. Aftertaste is slightly bitter. For a MASS produced craft beer, it a nice beer,

3.61/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pint glass

Pours a thick black. Very dense. Great grey head. Excellent lacing. A very nice bitter bread, coffee scent.

Taste is burnt coffee(Sanka? Just kidding), dark unsweetened chocolate and deep toasted bread flavors. Some dryness follows the aftertaste.

Nice and heavy mouthfeel. Very dense on the tongue. A crisp finish. I enjoy this stout from the tap. I do not like it from the can or the draught bottle. Waters the flavors down.

4.61/5  rDev +29.1%

Who can't like a Guinness? I mean really, can you be a beer drinker and not like the rich creamy lovliness of a Guinness? I'd have to say that all stouts should be judged from this one. Well, if you're not familiar with it, here comes my review. It pours a dark black - completely denying any light that tries to pass it through. The head is perfect (always): large, thick, creamy white head that will stick around until you're done with the beer. It leaves a nice bit of lacing on the glass too. The flavor is very rich and full. Mostly sweet coffee and chocolate in the flavor with some maltiness underneath. The aftertaste has the coffee/chocolate hint as well and leaves you with a milk mustache. Wonderful. The only thing that can even compare with this stout (that I've found) is the Young's Luxury Double Chocolate Stout.

4.29/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm surprised its taken me this long to review this beer. Its such a standard. The appearance is quite definitive, which counts for a lot. From across the room you know its a Guinness. Nice shapely imperial pint, creamy off-white head that takes up the top 1/2 inch of the glass. Below is a midnight black liquid through which no light passes.

The aroma is of dry, peated malts. Hops are probably used in this beer, but its not apparent, either in aroma or flavor. Its affect are known though partly as a balance to the lactic sour. A sip is a nice experience, as it leaves a drip of foam on the mustache. Instantly dry feeling in the mouth as the smokey and peaty liquid moves through the mouth, the sour backend and dry mouth feel are almost one of a kind.

3.41/5  rDev -4.5%

The version of this you get in pubs is one of my favorite beers ever. That just makes what comes in the bottle an absolute dissapointment. I'll confess, I'd rather drink this than 2/3rds of the beers out there, but it falls so far short of the tap that you spend all your time wishing you were back at the pub. The drinker shouldn't be left wishing for more like that. If nothing better is available though, then by all means, drink it!

3.52/5  rDev -1.4%

This sample from a can poured a small creamy head of fine light brown mostly lasting bubbles and an opaque dark brown colored body. It has a mild malt aroma and a mild coffee flavor with notes of chocolate with a mouthfeel that contains a slight lingering after bite.

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.
Beer rating: 3.57 out of 5 with 8,075 ratings