Guinness Draught | Guinness Ltd.

Read the review

Style: Irish Dry Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

Reviews: 2,212 | Ratings: 7,455
2.86/5  rDev -17.3%

Poured from an 11.2oz nitro-bottle into a 20oz imperial pint.

A: Pours a dark, ruby-tinted, black color that lets a small amount of light through. Smallish 1/2 finger head, light tan in color, that sticks around to the very end and leaves some nice lace sheeting in its' wake.

S: Mild aromas of roasted malt, coffee, and a tiny pinch of hops. Everything smells watered down.

T: See above. Also noticed a fleeting tart fruitiness and a flavor like wet notebook paper. Flavors seem watered down and messy.

M: Thin and watery. That's it.

D: It's easy to drink but why bother? It's not challenging to the senses whatsoever.

2.86/5  rDev -17.3%

nitro-can served in a standard pint glass.

pours a dark brown with a creamy white head, decent retention and lacing with some cascading going on. the aroma is fairly muted, sort of hard to pick out / distinguish too much of anything distinct; grainy, maybe a touch of roasted malt. taste follows the nose, unfortunately. not a whole lot going on - grains, roastiness and a hint of coffee. mouthfeel has a creamy yet watery characteristic to it. as noted by others, i remember enjoying this beer a lot more years ago... not sure whether guinness changed or my palate did (or both). i'm guessing the latter. overall? palatable but nothing special.

original review on: 08-19-2010

2.86/5  rDev -17.3%

This was yet another version of this beer served at a club, a sort of 'system' where the beer is poured from a can and put on what looks like a hot plate. It looks ok, a thin but dense one finger head, but it lacks the bubbles going the wrong way look, and tastes fairly flat.

Guinness is a classic, I like the beers that are not in any nitro cans better. These all seem to ruin the wonderful mouthfeel of this beer.

I had a perfectly poured Guinness on tap last week, complete with shamrock. They haven't been able to can that yet. Drink this on tap or poured out of the ordinary bottle, forget anything with widgets.

2.86/5  rDev -17.3%

very dark brown in color with a one finger beige head thats like shaving cream, lacing is a continuous sheet down the glass. weak aromas of roasted malt and coffee. taste same, very weak and watery with low carbonation very disappointing. i do like guinness but i will not buy the guinness draught again.

2.86/5  rDev -17.3%

I figured St. Patrick's Day was a good day to finally actually review this one. Poured on nitro-tap at Dugans on 3/17/13. This beer does look very nice in the glass. This is of course one of the more common introduction beers for most people to something other than a macro-lager. It looks wonderfully deep dark with reddish highlights and a very nice white frothy head developing from the creamy pour. The smell just isn't there though. After years of drinking other stouts, this beer just lacks the good nose of a stout. There's some light bread crust smell and maybe some dried grass, but it's not much. The taste, while better than a regular can or regular tap line, is still just average. It's creamy and dry finishing, but very watery overall. The body of the beer is just so wimpy after you drink other stouts. Tastes mostly of brown bread and a little of bitter, dry hops. Not a terrible beer, but not great.

2.86/5  rDev -17.3%

Normally I wouldn't resort to reviewing a beer in more than one "serving type" until I am far into my BA journey. The only reason I do so now is because of the stark differences of the can and bottled version.

My friend, having just come home from Ireland, thought it would make him feel better if he purchased some Guinness. So naturally, he offered me one. I figured since I had just recently reviewed the nitro-can version I would give this one a shot. It can't be much different, can it?

Boy was I wrong. It was the same roiling brew I was accustomed to. For whatever reason, the head appeared to be much whiter this time. The brew looked the same, heck it even smelled the same. What struck me as odd was the taste. Or better yet, what taste?!?! This beer had literally no taste! I could barely pick out any flavor as this was incredibly watered down. I was utterly shocked to be honest. It was still very creamy and had a good mouthfeel, and the little-to-no taste made it very drinkable, but man, was this a different experience than the can.

Someone once told me if you buy Guinness, make sure it's in the can. +1 to that. Don't bother with the bottles.

2.86/5  rDev -17.3%

A: Pours an opaque black, with nice creamy head. Lacing forms along the glass as you consume.
S: Not a ton of smell. Some malt in there.
T: Creamy water. Where's the taste?
M: Light to medium bodied. It looks a lot thicker than it drinks.
O: Creamy light stout. It does the job when that's what you're looking for, which isn't often.

2.86/5  rDev -17.3%

nitro-can served in a standard pint glass.

pours a dark brown with a creamy white head, decent retention and lacing. smell is light, hard to pick up too much of anything distinct; maybe a touch of roasted malt. taste follows the nose, unfortunately. not a whole lot going on. mouthfeel has a creamy yet watery characteristic to it. as noted by others, i remember enjoying this beer a lot more years ago... not sure whether guinness changed or my palate did (or both).

2.86/5  rDev -17.3%

Appearance: Pours with that always appealing thick thick thick head out of a nitro can with is a light tan brown. And the Guinness is well… black. Nice can by the way.

Smell: Coffee and hints of chocolate but quite thin overall

Taste/ Mouthfeel: more chocolate and coffee with a smooth moutfeel with soothing malts. Bitter aftertaste.

Drinkability/Overall: Personally I like them a bit stronger and this brew tastes like Guinness Extra Stout but with more water. For people who don’t like it as strong this is a good pick but the extra stout is more like a meal than this. This is way too watery to live up to its big boy raps.

2.86/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

440ml nitro can. 4.1%abv. BB 30/06/06. Served cool in a jug.
A: absolutely elegant mahogany to almost black hue, with an supposedly thick and tight frothy beige head which sustains forever.
S: softly sweet coffee-mousse note, mild aroma of roasted barley and caramelised malts with a touch of cream, and some unidentifiable dark fruits. Overall very smooth and attenuated. Simple but not boring.
T&M: very light flavour of roasted barley followed by a thin-bodied and watery texture before quickly hitting the lightly sour and dryish aftertaste, while necessary bitterness for a stout is kept at bay... Smooth on the mouthfeel, but too thin in terms of body.
D: maybe the style is not my favourite and it also has to be taken into account that the can-version is not as nice as the real draught version on tap, but I've come across lots of much better and complex stouts than this giant. Got to do better to live up to its reputation and self-expectation.

2.86/5  rDev -17.3%

A: Black body, one finger creamy tan head that sticks around for the entire pint. Nice lacing. Really a beautiful beer.

S: Malts, coffee, maybe some chocolate. Nothing to write home about.

T: Coffee and hints of chocolate, a little watery to be honest.

M: Light bodied, a little watery, good carbonation, nothing great.

We ate at a Irish style pub and I had to try a Guinness on tap. I'd had a can and hated it, and this was much better than the can was. Still, not something I'll seek out.

2.85/5  rDev -17.6%

Well, it's Guinness. We've all tried this one.
My friend swears by this stuff. Me? so so.
Anyway, have had it many a time in bottles/can/tap but they've been advertising this nitro can, so what the hell.
Pours the same black with a thick creamy foam. Beautiful cascading head after it's poured.
Smell, coffee and burnt chocolate.
Taste is about the same - think day old french roast with alcohol.
Mouthfeel, thinner than I remember the other forms, but it has been a while (and lots of beer since). I really expect more from a beer this dark.
Drinkability - sure, if you think it will make you look cool, go ahead.
The BAs know you're just a poser.

2.85/5  rDev -17.6%

This brew is guinness with novacane. It is too cold to actually taste, however as it warms, it tastes the same as a standard guinness.

It isnt bad, however, if you are going to go for a guinness, the real one is far superior due to the temperature at which it is served.

Also best on tap in Ireland, I tried one in England and it didnt have the same flavor.

2.85/5  rDev -17.6%

A- C'mon... its a guinness... and i think this is one of the prettiest pouring beers out there. pours a dark coffee color, the head resembles whipped cream and is a khaki half a finger head. great traces of lacing all the way thru to the end.

S- Is faint. very faint. light coffee and dark chocolate. Vanilla slightly. So okay the longer it sits the more the smell comes out in this one. Slight roasted tones in there aswell.

T- Cream. a roasted coffee, with slight chocolate. almost a white chocolate taste at that.

M- Oily at the end which i believe is from the cream. hardly no carbonation, so there is no bite to this one at all.

DO- I'm just not overly impressed with this. I know a true contender for its style. However I think the other stuff guinness has to offer ( foreign extra stout, extra stout, etc... ) has a lot more going for it then this. I have had this on tap and i will say that it makes it much better. But out of a nitro can i think this is much lacking. Now i wont say i didn't enjoy it.

2.84/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: Looks amazing. Thick creamy tan head that lasts forever. Appears black in the glass but slightly translucent with some red noted as well. Unfortunately, looks can be decieving.

Smell: Roasted malt, but its very mild and I'm not picking up much else.

Taste: Same as the nose. Roasted malt flavor, slightly bittersweet, but zero hops.

Mouthfeel: How can a beer that looks so good in the glass be so watery? Thin and boring.

Overall: I'll get this once and a while if there's no other options on tap, because this is still better than the BMC's of the world. Not by much though. I would like to try this in Ireland sometime to compare.

2.84/5  rDev -17.9%

Appearance: Poured like a chocolate milkshake from the nitro can. As the famous cascade of bubbles rose the beer settled to deep black that was not completely opaque. A thick, creamy head sat on top throughout the pint.

Smell: The smell is not very strong, but it had a light, chocolate milk scent with just a hint of coffee.

Taste: Similar to the smell, but the flavor is subdued. It's watery, but smooth. It has a slight bitter tail to it, mostly from the coffee malts.

Drinkability: It's Saint Paddy's Day, so what can I say? The drinkability is high, and it has that distinctness to make it appealing, but to me it's the "lite" version of stout. Maybe it's because I've only had it from nitro bottles and cans. Directly from the keg, as a "draught," is the ideal way to drink it. Directly from the keg in Ireland would be perfect.

2.84/5  rDev -17.9%

I think this beer was average. The taste was not bad, but it was nothing amazing. It tasted watery and did not have a big mouthfeel. It has a nice, very dark color with a medium head. There was not a strong smell compared to something you would get with a lot of hops in it. It also has a strong hold on the glass. This beer is an "easy drinking" beer.

2.84/5  rDev -17.9%

I am at Old Chicago and just got my Guinness Draught on tap that I ordered. Seeing it now, it has a mere one finger head but I have had this before and when I opened a bottle it had more like a larger two finger head so I think the head was bigger being given out of tap. the head is a creamy brown-ish off white. it kind of is dissipating as I write; I may be over analyzing. The body is jet black cannot really see through it at all but thats to be expected for a stout. holding it up directly to the light I can kind of see some bubbles rising but cannot see much through the blackness of the body.

The smell is not prominent. Its kind of faint and you have to cover the glass with your hand ans whiff it. I pick up the smell of coffee thats for sure. Water smell even? hard to explain the water smell but it makes me think of Keystone light which tastes like water.

The taste is of a few different things: Coffee, malts, and water. It reminds me of a super diluted lager except its a super diluted stout. I can taste water a lot because it has the flavors of the Guinness Extra Stout just really watered down. Other than water I taste malt and coffee. I really like the coffee taste here. The mouthfeel is nice. its not carbonated a whole lot and not harsh so it goes down really smooth. I am finishing it rather quickly because it does have a nice taste I like to go back to and rethink my thoughts about it. The aftertaste is of coffee. The most prominent yet not really prominent taste in this beer is coffee.

Overall, this is an okay beer. I say that because the Guinness Extra Stout is one of my favorite beers of all time and I love that one so much that I cannot give the draught the best review because it seems like a beer with half the character of the imported extra stout. It is nice though. If you are one who is not into stouts or coffee/chocolate beers like the extra stout, this is definitely for you. If you are getting into the stouts, TRY THIS FIRST. if you like this, then get into the darker stronger more coffee-ish and chocolaty beers. I probably will not drink this again when I can drink the amazing Guinness Imported Extra Stout.

2.84/5  rDev -17.9%

Came in an 11.2 oz. nitro bottle; served in a pint glass.

For some reason I like this stuff more out of the nitro can. It looks better, smells better, and is more drinkable. The nitro bottle seems have a weaker cascading effect, a slightly weaker smell, and more bland taste. It does have a better mouthfeel though.

2.84/5  rDev -17.9%

Guinness Draught. 11.2 oz.

Appearance:
Great creamy tan head and a somewhat black body, with just a hint of tobacco-brown leather at the edges.

Smell:
Faint grain, smells flat and dead like old water. Not that appealing.

Taste:
Not as bitter as it should be -- some cloying sweetness towards the end. I used to like this?

Mouthfeel & Drinkability:
Watery and not very stout-like. Now that I know of alternatives, I will not be returning often.

2.84/5  rDev -17.9%

"Twok! Hisss!" and we're off to the nitro can races. Dead-sexy reverse-cascading, cream colored head sits one finger high atop a black body. At least it looks good.

Past criticism that the nitro can product carries with it a metallic odor seems well founded. It's not awful and doesn't completely blot out a fair degree of caramel sweetness. Still, it ends up smelling a bit like drain water after a while.

A moderate degree of roasty bitterness kicks off a decent into complete wateriness. A lingering hop/metal bitterness finishes. I'm at a loss; there's almost nothing else to describe about this beer.

Mouthfeel misses creaminess and heads straight toward water. Smooth, but so is what comes out of my Britta. I could drink a bunch of this but why would I?

OK, I was a little annoyed after reading the Bros.'s reviews of this brew as they seemed harsh just for the sake of "oh, if you had it in Dublin" or "it used to be better" and the like. However, it's true, this has been dumbed down a good deal from what I remember cutting my beer teeth on from the tap. Not worth a purchase, especially with so many more American craft breweries attempting the dry Irish style (3F's Black Sun, anyone?).

look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

What Happened To My Guinness??!!??!!??

Appearance: Same great creamy looking head and leaves rings of lace all the way down ... the color is not as black as it used to be, its more of a very dark brown. Damn, I can see the bar light through the bottom of my pint!

Smell: Rusty water with some faint grain.

Taste: The tame roasted character is laughable, bitterness has been toned down and there is a mild cloying sweetness in the back.

Mouthfeel: Same nitro mouth feel but very, very thin and watery.

Drinkability: This beer has been dumbed down so much it is like drinking water. There are far better stouts than this.

This beer is an obvious victim of thinking about the $$$ and not the quality of the product.

There are rumors that the American product is kegged in the US from a combination of the "Essence of Guinness" (A product of Ireland) and the same malt base used in malternatives. I will find out the truth one day.

2.83/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

The beer comes in a very dark brown to black.

The aroma hits of cocoa, a bit of chocolate, sweet toasted grains.

The flavor hits of medium roasted grain, an empty and watery mid palate, unsweetened chocolate, a touch of coffee roast, onto a smooth and lacking finish and hits of earthiness.

2.83/5  rDev -18.2%

The colour is black with a tint of very dark wine red. The finger-thick compact foam (peculiar for nitro-tap beer) is off-white.

The smell is really weak with some metallic notes and a touch of black coffee.

The carbonation is mild, yet quite fresh making it very drinkable.

The taste is much milder than I remember; there is a bitter-sour touch and a burned taste of coffee and rubber bands. The dry aftertaste got some notes of bitter hops and burned malt.

This might be the most famous of them all, but there are some far better dry stouts out there…

2.83/5  rDev -18.2%

Guinness Ltd. - Guinness Draught, poured into a Craftgeer snifter.

Look - Pours a thin brown black but settles black with a small foamy head. Not a ton of lacing, very sparse.

Smell - Roasted barley, weak on the nose.

Taste - Thin and watery with a weak roast character, not a lot of variety in the flavor.

Mouthfeel - Thin, dry, ever so slightly bitter, like a light or watered down stout. Zero booziness. Good drinkability but not spectacular.

Overall - This used to be one of the kings of "craft beer" (though was it ever really considered craft, no) and I'll give it that, but this is not a great beer by any means.

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.