Guinness Draught | Guinness Ltd.

Read the review
Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

Guinness Ltd.
Ireland
guinness.com

Style: Irish Dry Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

Reviews: 2,212 | Ratings: 7,454

This brew will always be my favorite. Most individuals are intimidated to try it because of how dark and rich it pours. The pour from a can or on tap is iconic- and there is a particular way to pour this brew. The taste is a delicate mixture of malt and coffee. Despite its rich pour and thick head the beer is like and has a watery mouthfeel. This beer only gets better and as it warms.

The best beer that I drink daily. NEVER gets old. All around amazing beer. The color, look, and taste is all phenomenal. You can't beat a Guinness Draught.

This beer is one of my favorite beers. I have it at least twice a month. My favorite place to get a pint of guinness is at O'nearys irish pub in Brainerd Minnesota down town. I don't know what it's made of but I taste coffee, molases, not real hoppy maybe some malt. I give it a perfect score. The last part of the stout is the best part.

It truly is a lovely day for a Guinness. I agree with those who love it and why. Guinness has character and I have found that most people who enjoy it have character also. There are other Stouts...now. But the progenitor comes from Dublin.

This is easily one of the best beers ever. Superb in every respect and highly sessionable. Dark and roasty, dry and refreshing. If you enjoy your coffee black, this beer will please. I can understand a hype backlash but hey I love this beer. I can't over state how perfect this beer really is, much like coca cola, I could drink this beer anywhere anytime

If you have class you'll like this beer. When i had my first sip it hit me like a ton of chocolate bricks. Sweet yet its not overbearing like starbucks pos coffee. Damn if i had to choose between stopping a Guinness truck from going over a cliff, or going to my first job interview in 6 years, sorry Costco some things are more important. I'd traverse through the desert to get one sip. I'd pick a fight with Shaqs dick just to sniff this beer from 100 yards away. Got almighty you people haven't lived. YOU HAVEN'T LIVED. Big pepperoni out.

God created a beer and He named it Guinness. If you haven't had it yet, welcome to Earth. If you have had it, chances are you're not reading reviews, you're probably ordering your next Guinness. Smooth. Dense. Heavy but not daunting. History in liquid form.

4.94/5  rDev +43.2%

I truly appreciate the fullness of this beer. It has a great taste and a welcoming follow. I would be happy to have this at my home. Do not be afraid of its dark color or its thick nature, she will be one of the best dark stouts you will ingest. I am amazed to say that its tastes good also in can or bottle form, although I do prefer it by the pint off the tap.

4.94/5  rDev +43.2%

Appearance - Dark, smoky, and inviting. Creamy, white head that is very inviting that appears like a scoop of cream on top. Nicely carbonated and alive.

Smell - Mild smoky aroma but not overpowering. Hints of clean malt and good earth.

Taste - Hints of chocolate, malt, and clean rain. Well balanced and refreshing. Not heavy.

Mouthfeel - Light, enjoyable, and very refreshing.

Overall - This is my favorite go-to beer and the standard I judge all other beers by. I would give this beer a 5.00 but I am holding out for that perfect beer in the hopes of one day finding it. If I do not find it, I will edit my rating to a 5.00.

4.92/5  rDev +42.6%

This is a very creamy tasting beer with an extremely smooth finish. A bit heavier in maltiness than most beers, but to be expected in a stout style beer. Best enjoyed a bit warmer than most Americans prefer their beer, but this allows you to really experience the full flavor and aroma of this exceptional beverage!

Not really a beer you will want to drink all night or after a heavy meal, since it will seem too rich and robust at that point, but best enjoyed early in your drinking session.

Terrific when coupled with Bass Ale to make a Black & Tan!

4.9/5  rDev +42%

As anyone reading, I drink a lot of beer. However, I never review beers, mainly because good beers tend to receive their credit, plus why would anyone really care what I have to say about beer, I'm not an expert? But I was curious, so I Googled Guinness and found its BA score; it is wrong. How have "beer experts" determined that what was once the gold standard is now deserving of a 77 score (or a 70, Bros)? Because it's not brewed by a couple hipsters in a trendy neighborhood? Because it is mass produced? It's delicious. It's beautiful. It's meant to taste unique. I've had better beers, but it is completely worthy of a 5/5 rating. It's a DRY Stout, emphasis on the dry. It makes you yearn for that next sip, just like a good cocktail. It is smooth and has a burnt toffee aftertaste, pours a deep black with a rich, thick, creamy head that laces the glass perfectly. It's incredibly made and gets better with more pours, A TRUE SESSION BREW before it had a name. It offers a very slight body with a sharply toasted malt smell, that of day old bread that does not overwhelm but rather compliments the taste. Very well made, it's clear why brewers and beer drinkers alike have enjoyed and respected this beer for decades. This should not be kept out of your rotation just because your grandparents have drank it, in fact, that's partially why you should drink it.

4.9/5  rDev +42%

Served from: 14.9 oz can poured into a pint glass.
Easily one of my all time favorites. Looks beautiful, with a nice thick head and dark coloration. Smells great too. The taste is a little watery, but it still tastes strongly of roasted coffee and chocolate. Reminds me of an iced mocha. Goes down very smooth. A classic.

4.88/5  rDev +41.4%

Guinness is my favourite beer. Available in most pubs and always a good stout. Quite filling and apparently can be good for you, being fairly high in iron and everything. If there's nothing else worth having there is always a good Guinness. Good stout this one.

4.88/5  rDev +41.4%

I have drank this beer from Tap to nitro can, nitro bottle, etc, etc. and have loved everyone of them!
From that beautiful looking head and great look as it all comes together and settles for a minute or so! Perfection!
Then that creamy chocolate aroma hits the nose and my mouth starts to water in anticipation of that O so wonderful creamy full taste I can drink this beer forever!
Thank you Mr. Guinness!!!

4.88/5  rDev +41.4%

The guinness brewery put its flagship brand always on front of innovation, with this nitro can of a pint literally hit a ball of vanguard, its appearance, smell, and taste make feel like was in a irish pub widely recommendable, guinness is new brewer in my country, but start good and mantain its quality control is superior.

4.88/5  rDev +41.4%

One of my favorites! Because of it's low alcohol count I can have more than 2 pints without having that "buzz."

Delicious on tap...the can/bottle is okay if you are desperate, but the tap is where it is at...ONLY if the bartender pours it correctly.

Nicknamed "Blonde in a Black Dress" (by who knows who) Guinness is more than gimmicky paraphernalia.

4.88/5  rDev +41.4%

I LOVE Guinness. When pored well from a good pub there has never been a more complete beer. The cascading is beautiful as the beer settles. It has a full flavor and a really smooth texture. I have tried a lot of other very good porters/stouts, but Guinness is the best.

4.88/5  rDev +41.4%

I just tried this. Heard so many bad things. I'll just say I really liked it. Very flavorful almost nutty. Intense feel. Nice head. Very good. Would definitely drink again. I loved it. Tried twice. Liked better cold. More flavor. Bitter but still good.

4.88/5  rDev +41.4%

By far my favorite Irish stout and probably my favorite beer. I just went to Ireland and to Dublin. Is there a better place todrink guinness. Well this is one beer that I love to drink the head. Not many beers can do that to you. The black color is just amazing when the taste comes out. I think that this beer can go with any meal but the best time to drink it is after dinner.The problem with being in the U.S. is that the cans and bottles however still good are just not able to cut the tast of true tap guinness.

4.88/5  rDev +41.4%

What can I say? I'm a Guinness Girl, so I felt it fitting that my first review on Beer Advocate should be something that I'm very familiar with...

Appearance> Gorgeous ruby-black colour with a creamy (nitro-widget) head. The head is glossy with high retention and a champagne coloured shimmer that is mesmerizing.

Smell> Smells like home.. or where I wish home was, a large brewery. It is yeasty and biscuity, with a slight sweetness.

Taste>low bitterness, roasted sweetness, and a nice dry hang. Perfectly fits its style because, in my humble opinion, it IS the style.

Mouthfeel> Smooth, like buttah.

Drinkability> Easy to drink... Perhaps too easy. Personally, I have one almost daily... Hey! I'm a vegetarian, so I need my iron; lay off me! :) It's ' Good for You', and my granny has been prescribed it throughout her life, so I have to accept the claim... and the tasty dosage:)

4.88/5  rDev +41.4%

Guinness Draught is one of the best beers in the world. Guinness has a robust flavor profile that consists of hints of chocolate and coffee. If served in a clean Imperial tulip pint and poured properly, you will be hard pressed to find another beer that can match the exceptional taste and beauty of this beer.

4.85/5  rDev +40.6%

If you're a beer drinker, you've GOT to taste a Guinness draft. So dark, yet so smooth -- and the "settling" is a process in itself. Very good taste and appropriately Irish. Very good. To be able to drink one in Dublin, Belfast, Glasgow or Edinburgh is to taste it just right. One of the oldest beers in the world.

4.83/5  rDev +40%

Very delicious. One of my favorite beers. Love the creamy head and mustache that I get from drinking it. The best way to enjoy a night out without worrying about too much alcohol at 4.2%. I hate when you go to a bar and they don't know the proper pouring technique for Guinness. Love the taste of my Guinness.

4.83/5  rDev +40%

A: poured from a 14.9 oz nitro can into a nonic pint glass, pours a dark orange yellow brown almost black with a thick creamy light tan head that lingers through the entire glass, bubbles cascade down the sides of the glass

S: heavily roasted burnt malt smells, cocoa, pumpernickel, charcoal

T: dry roasted malt, subtle flavors of dark caramel, coffee, little sweetness, subtle hop bitterness

M: creamy mouth feel from the nitro widget

O: if I had to pick one beer to drink for the rest of my life this would be it, it has a nourishing yet refreshing quality, it's lower in calories than most "light" beers yet is packed with flavor, it's low alcohol content means you can have a couple without getting swimmy, it is the perfect representation of a dry Irish stout

look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Draught pour in a branded glass in my local village pub by a bartender rated 1st in the county and 3rd overall in the Guinness Central Florida Pour-Off 2 years running. Appearance is outstanding with a almost black body and creamy head that lasts all the way to the bottom with cascading bubbles until it settles down and she serves it. The aroma of sweet malt, roasted coffee and lastly the bitterness is perfect. The taste is a blend of tart and bitter with a smokey flavor (I like burnt-smokey alcoholic drinks). The feel is a rich cream giving way to a somewhat lighter than expected ending, overall a stout you can keep on drinking.

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.