Guinness Draught | Guinness Ltd.

Read the review
Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

Guinness Ltd.
Ireland
guinness.com

Style: Irish Dry Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

Reviews: 2,242 | Ratings: 7,584

Call me a bit biased because of my heritage, but I love Guinness. This is my go to beer. It is the first one that made me understand the flavors to a beer. Prior to Guinness, like many people, I mostly drank american Pilsner (Hey... we were all early 20 somethings at one time, LOL!!! I've since changed, gotten into crafts, and won't touch light Pilsner anymore). I didn't understand why it tasted like flat coffee until I read about how it was made and why. My next try at it and I was hooked. I grew to love this beer!!! It has one of the prettiest pours there is, in my opinion. Best off a nitro tap or from a can with the widget. It does create a creaminess. It is a dry stout, with virtually no fizz, and lots of coffee, along with chocolate and roasted malt. At least that is what I taste anyway. It is light compared to a number of the Stouts I've gotten into since acquiring my Stout love. Many call it legendary. Some say it stinks. To me, it is legendary, and oh so good!

Always love the look of Guinness. Cascading, then turn black with a nice froth on top. Just Beautiful.

Clean smell.

It always tastes great. Complete go-to beer. It is a great food compliment, a stand-alone beer, a beer sorbet in between other beers - truly a beer for all occasions.

Love the feel from the first frothy, creamy taste to the last drop. So smooth.

You know sometimes I want exotic fish for dinner, sometimes I want McDonald's, sometimes I can try unusual food and enjoy them. But I wouldn't eat any of that stuff every day, all day. I could eat steak every day and that's why it's my favorite food. Same goes with Guinness, I've never been disappointed.

When one considers ABV and calories, there are few out there that can match a Guinness for lower alcohol content, lower calories, and taste. Yes there are Stouts out there that are more robust but not at 4.2%. And this is one sexy looking beer!

Guinness Draught from the 14.9 ounce can with a widget, 4.2% ABV.
Look: Pitch black with a light tan head. There is a one inch head with lots of lacing left in the glass.
Smell: bready, malts, earth, roasty, ash. I can't say that the smell of Guinness is that appealing, but everything else outweighs the need for a fresh scent.
Taste: The widget in the can gives the beer such a milky, silky texture that it is velvety smooth. Coffee, chocolate, bitter roasty middle and finish. The bitter aftertaste is there if you keep having more guinness.
Feel: very light considering that most regular beer drinkers think of it as the oatbran of beers. It has the silky, milky texture because of the nitro widget.
Overall: I have had this beer more than any other beer in my life. It has always been a favorite of mine and will continue to be the best of the best. You just can't go wrong with a guinness. It's the beer that you order if you don't know anything else at the bar. You can count on it unless the bar does not clean out there taps, or does not throw out extremely old beer. I love that on the can it has a list of the carbs, protein, calories and fat in the beer. I had to re-visit it and it has been a long time. Don't get it from the bottle. It is really best on a nitro tap, but the cans really are almost as good. It still has that milkyness to it. I don't care what anyone says this is the best stout ever and it has all of this flavor at 4.2%, amazing!

In my opinion the only decent stout beer that is packaged in the nitro can. Appearance is amazing and pours a silky foamy head.

Taste is fantastic, a complex taste that does not leave a bitter aftertaste that is often common with American made stouts. Some have compared the consistency of this brew to motor oil, but I disagree. Since this is a nitro mixture the beer is light, smooth and goes down easy.

This stout is thick and creamy with a roasted flavor to it. I judge other stouts based on Guinness and only a few of them have met the same level for me. This is an excellent beer to have after a long day of skiing next to a fireplace.

This brew will always be my favorite. Most individuals are intimidated to try it because of how dark and rich it pours. The pour from a can or on tap is iconic- and there is a particular way to pour this brew. The taste is a delicate mixture of malt and coffee. Despite its rich pour and thick head the beer is like and has a watery mouthfeel. This beer only gets better and as it warms.

The best beer that I drink daily. NEVER gets old. All around amazing beer. The color, look, and taste is all phenomenal. You can't beat a Guinness Draught.

This beer is one of my favorite beers. I have it at least twice a month. My favorite place to get a pint of guinness is at O'nearys irish pub in Brainerd Minnesota down town. I don't know what it's made of but I taste coffee, molases, not real hoppy maybe some malt. I give it a perfect score. The last part of the stout is the best part.

It truly is a lovely day for a Guinness. I agree with those who love it and why. Guinness has character and I have found that most people who enjoy it have character also. There are other Stouts...now. But the progenitor comes from Dublin.

This is easily one of the best beers ever. Superb in every respect and highly sessionable. Dark and roasty, dry and refreshing. If you enjoy your coffee black, this beer will please. I can understand a hype backlash but hey I love this beer. I can't over state how perfect this beer really is, much like coca cola, I could drink this beer anywhere anytime

If you have class you'll like this beer. When i had my first sip it hit me like a ton of chocolate bricks. Sweet yet its not overbearing like starbucks pos coffee. Damn if i had to choose between stopping a Guinness truck from going over a cliff, or going to my first job interview in 6 years, sorry Costco some things are more important. I'd traverse through the desert to get one sip. I'd pick a fight with Shaqs dick just to sniff this beer from 100 yards away. Got almighty you people haven't lived. YOU HAVEN'T LIVED. Big pepperoni out.

God created a beer and He named it Guinness. If you haven't had it yet, welcome to Earth. If you have had it, chances are you're not reading reviews, you're probably ordering your next Guinness. Smooth. Dense. Heavy but not daunting. History in liquid form.

4.94/5  rDev +42.8%

I truly appreciate the fullness of this beer. It has a great taste and a welcoming follow. I would be happy to have this at my home. Do not be afraid of its dark color or its thick nature, she will be one of the best dark stouts you will ingest. I am amazed to say that its tastes good also in can or bottle form, although I do prefer it by the pint off the tap.

4.94/5  rDev +42.8%

Okay the look a great black beer with a very light brown head sometimes I've had heads from the tap that are at least 3 fingers I pick up notes of maltiness a touch of coffeeish chocolatey notes under neath the malt notes typically I can pick up a touch of a toasty brain note on 1 that's not super cold (preferential in my opinion actually on this one) the taste wonderful a nice malty lightly bittered coffee notes bready for the most part , mouthfeel it's great creamy yet lighter bodied than an extra stout but still well bodied and smooth and overall definitely an amazing beer top notch in my opinion

4.94/5  rDev +42.8%

Appearance - Dark, smoky, and inviting. Creamy, white head that is very inviting that appears like a scoop of cream on top. Nicely carbonated and alive.

Smell - Mild smoky aroma but not overpowering. Hints of clean malt and good earth.

Taste - Hints of chocolate, malt, and clean rain. Well balanced and refreshing. Not heavy.

Mouthfeel - Light, enjoyable, and very refreshing.

Overall - This is my favorite go-to beer and the standard I judge all other beers by. I would give this beer a 5.00 but I am holding out for that perfect beer in the hopes of one day finding it. If I do not find it, I will edit my rating to a 5.00.

4.92/5  rDev +42.2%

This is a very creamy tasting beer with an extremely smooth finish. A bit heavier in maltiness than most beers, but to be expected in a stout style beer. Best enjoyed a bit warmer than most Americans prefer their beer, but this allows you to really experience the full flavor and aroma of this exceptional beverage!

Not really a beer you will want to drink all night or after a heavy meal, since it will seem too rich and robust at that point, but best enjoyed early in your drinking session.

Terrific when coupled with Bass Ale to make a Black & Tan!

4.9/5  rDev +41.6%

As anyone reading, I drink a lot of beer. However, I never review beers, mainly because good beers tend to receive their credit, plus why would anyone really care what I have to say about beer, I'm not an expert? But I was curious, so I Googled Guinness and found its BA score; it is wrong. How have "beer experts" determined that what was once the gold standard is now deserving of a 77 score (or a 70, Bros)? Because it's not brewed by a couple hipsters in a trendy neighborhood? Because it is mass produced? It's delicious. It's beautiful. It's meant to taste unique. I've had better beers, but it is completely worthy of a 5/5 rating. It's a DRY Stout, emphasis on the dry. It makes you yearn for that next sip, just like a good cocktail. It is smooth and has a burnt toffee aftertaste, pours a deep black with a rich, thick, creamy head that laces the glass perfectly. It's incredibly made and gets better with more pours, A TRUE SESSION BREW before it had a name. It offers a very slight body with a sharply toasted malt smell, that of day old bread that does not overwhelm but rather compliments the taste. Very well made, it's clear why brewers and beer drinkers alike have enjoyed and respected this beer for decades. This should not be kept out of your rotation just because your grandparents have drank it, in fact, that's partially why you should drink it.

4.9/5  rDev +41.6%

Served from: 14.9 oz can poured into a pint glass.
Easily one of my all time favorites. Looks beautiful, with a nice thick head and dark coloration. Smells great too. The taste is a little watery, but it still tastes strongly of roasted coffee and chocolate. Reminds me of an iced mocha. Goes down very smooth. A classic.

4.88/5  rDev +41%

Guinness is my favourite beer. Available in most pubs and always a good stout. Quite filling and apparently can be good for you, being fairly high in iron and everything. If there's nothing else worth having there is always a good Guinness. Good stout this one.

4.88/5  rDev +41%

I have drank this beer from Tap to nitro can, nitro bottle, etc, etc. and have loved everyone of them!
From that beautiful looking head and great look as it all comes together and settles for a minute or so! Perfection!
Then that creamy chocolate aroma hits the nose and my mouth starts to water in anticipation of that O so wonderful creamy full taste I can drink this beer forever!
Thank you Mr. Guinness!!!

4.88/5  rDev +41%

The guinness brewery put its flagship brand always on front of innovation, with this nitro can of a pint literally hit a ball of vanguard, its appearance, smell, and taste make feel like was in a irish pub widely recommendable, guinness is new brewer in my country, but start good and mantain its quality control is superior.

4.88/5  rDev +41%

One of my favorites! Because of it's low alcohol count I can have more than 2 pints without having that "buzz."

Delicious on tap...the can/bottle is okay if you are desperate, but the tap is where it is at...ONLY if the bartender pours it correctly.

Nicknamed "Blonde in a Black Dress" (by who knows who) Guinness is more than gimmicky paraphernalia.

4.88/5  rDev +41%

I LOVE Guinness. When pored well from a good pub there has never been a more complete beer. The cascading is beautiful as the beer settles. It has a full flavor and a really smooth texture. I have tried a lot of other very good porters/stouts, but Guinness is the best.

4.88/5  rDev +41%

I just tried this. Heard so many bad things. I'll just say I really liked it. Very flavorful almost nutty. Intense feel. Nice head. Very good. Would definitely drink again. I loved it. Tried twice. Liked better cold. More flavor. Bitter but still good.

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.