Guinness Draught | Guinness Ltd.

Read the review

Style: Irish Dry Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

Reviews: 2,225 | Ratings: 7,529
4.88/5  rDev +41%

Guinness Draught is one of the best beers in the world. Guinness has a robust flavor profile that consists of hints of chocolate and coffee. If served in a clean Imperial tulip pint and poured properly, you will be hard pressed to find another beer that can match the exceptional taste and beauty of this beer.

4.85/5  rDev +40.2%

If you're a beer drinker, you've GOT to taste a Guinness draft. So dark, yet so smooth -- and the "settling" is a process in itself. Very good taste and appropriately Irish. Very good. To be able to drink one in Dublin, Belfast, Glasgow or Edinburgh is to taste it just right. One of the oldest beers in the world.

4.83/5  rDev +39.6%

Very delicious. One of my favorite beers. Love the creamy head and mustache that I get from drinking it. The best way to enjoy a night out without worrying about too much alcohol at 4.2%. I hate when you go to a bar and they don't know the proper pouring technique for Guinness. Love the taste of my Guinness.

4.83/5  rDev +39.6%

A: poured from a 14.9 oz nitro can into a nonic pint glass, pours a dark orange yellow brown almost black with a thick creamy light tan head that lingers through the entire glass, bubbles cascade down the sides of the glass

S: heavily roasted burnt malt smells, cocoa, pumpernickel, charcoal

T: dry roasted malt, subtle flavors of dark caramel, coffee, little sweetness, subtle hop bitterness

M: creamy mouth feel from the nitro widget

O: if I had to pick one beer to drink for the rest of my life this would be it, it has a nourishing yet refreshing quality, it's lower in calories than most "light" beers yet is packed with flavor, it's low alcohol content means you can have a couple without getting swimmy, it is the perfect representation of a dry Irish stout

look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Draught pour in a branded glass in my local village pub by a bartender rated 1st in the county and 3rd overall in the Guinness Central Florida Pour-Off 2 years running. Appearance is outstanding with a almost black body and creamy head that lasts all the way to the bottom with cascading bubbles until it settles down and she serves it. The aroma of sweet malt, roasted coffee and lastly the bitterness is perfect. The taste is a blend of tart and bitter with a smokey flavor (I like burnt-smokey alcoholic drinks). The feel is a rich cream giving way to a somewhat lighter than expected ending, overall a stout you can keep on drinking.

4.83/5  rDev +39.6%

A pint of the black stuff. Creamy with low carbonation. Easy to drink with low alcohol content which makes it easier to drink all night long. A beer that should be poured into a glass and enjoyed.

4.82/5  rDev +39.3%

It's a tasty stout that's not over-powering or too filling. The nitrogen makes it a lot smoother than most other beers that I've had. Can't wait to try it in Ireland

291st Review
On draft at Against the Grain
Served in a Guinness pint glass

I can thank this beer for kicking off my enjoyment of craft beer as our paths first crossed at a small bar in Rome, Italy, during July 2005. Cheers to bspringer for wetting my whistle! It's been a fun ride since.

This review of a “Pint of Plain” comes from notes.

A: Very deep brown; I’ll call it black. Single (creamy khaki) fingernail head.

S: Roasty. Deep. Rich. Complex. Roasted malt, chocolate, molasses, and hint of coffee. Exceptional.

T: Follows smell. Classic. Heavenly. And oh so tasty! For a Dry Irish Stout it does not get any better than this.

M: Full bodied with appropriate (creamy and smooth) carbonation.

O: I don’t mean to be cliché here, but Guinness in Ireland tastes way better than Guinness elsewhere around the world. I’ve enjoyed a pint on four continents and it doesn’t get any better than within a 2 mile radius of St. James’ Gate. The mirco market in Dublin is okay at best, but having this gem on-tap nearly everywhere you turn in Dublin is wonderful. Some might judge and compare this beer to likes of Corona, Miller, Coors, etc. due to the mass production and wide-spread reach, but this beer is truly world class.

Reviewing beers on this site is surely subjective, but when it comes to rating a beer, it should be based on its merits compared to other beers of the same style. Hands down, this is the BEST Irish Dry Stout from draft on the planet! This is the benchmark. No questions asked. I’d highly encourage people to remember that when they are reviewing this beer. I understand the bottle and canned version of this can vary greatly while a non-Irish tap will not taste as good; however, if you ever have the chance to enjoy a pint of this from a pub in Dublin, rest assured, you will not be disappointed. If you find another Irish Dry Stout that is more enjoyable, please send me a bottle or message with the name and I’d love to try it. Until I find one that is better, I’ll keep going back to this beautiful creation every time I need a quick reminder of what started my love and enjoyment for craft beer. Cheers Arthur and here’s to another 253 years of the beautiful black stuff!

4.8/5  rDev +38.7%

i have to admit i have had this beer many times but untill i got into really teasing beer i never enjoyed it how ever i have gained a new respect for this beer,,,the teste the smell is just wonderfull,,,and as i am not a fan of most dark beers even i have to admit my suprise,,,,this is a good dark beer that i belive everyone should try or try again,,,,

4.8/5  rDev +38.7%

There are not many other stouts that can compare to Guinness in my honest opinion. I have had numerous others and they are just not as good.

Everything from the creamy head that lasts even after all the liquid is gone in the glass, to the deep dark color and complex strong smooth flavour with relatively low alcohol content, makes this one of my all time favorite beers ever.

I will say though that this has varying steps of "amazingness". Starting from fully amazing to less amazing here are the steps:

1) This extremely amazing when served on tap anywhere in the British Isles.
2) Very good served on tap in other parts of the world.
3) Quite good when served in the draught can with the widget.
4) Not as good when served in a bottle. When it doesn't have the gas release widget to give it that creamy effect, its just not as good.

4.78/5  rDev +38.2%

Guinness is my go to beer. Tried hundreds of others but this is my favorite. For me it's a perfect beer. I'm tired of crap IPAs and craft beers. Stick with a winner. Drink Guinness.

4.78/5  rDev +38.2%

This is the one, the one we all use to set our compass when judging other stouts. It's the barometer, the reference point. There was a time it couldn’t be found state side as crazy as that sounds. As a child I remember adults calling it muddy or the meal in the can. The interesting thing about Guinness is you know when you have gotten a really nice one, for it's heaven on earth, you also know when you are on the receiving end of a lower tier one. I guess it's like the pizza saying even when it's bad it's good, ehh well almost. Contrary to what people say don't have to travel to Dublin to get a nice one, just a good bar that cares about its patrons.
For the review I poured the Guinness from a Nitro can into a pint glass. The appearance was ebony, ruby black with a thick foamy tan head. It's smells and tastes of coffee, roasted barley, and hops. It's bitter, dry, watery and very drinkable. The nitro can does a very decent job of imitating a tap.
Overall you can never go wrong with a nice pint of Guinness, find a nice pub or a fresh nitro can/bottle, preferably a solid pub.
I also recommend Beamish and Murphy’s from the Irish Stout holy Trinity, I like all three for varying reasons.

4.78/5  rDev +38.2%

There is nothing quite like classic Guinness, especially served on-tap. From a bottle or can is OK, but there is only one way to drink Guinness - from the tap, nice and cool (3-6 degrees Celsius).

Its dark color - dark and opaque as finest dark chocolate - and rich head with tiny compact bubbles promise an excellent beer. The flavor is strong and a little smoky, with plenty of hoppy bitterness. Smooth as silk and thick but not heavy, it is truly a legend.

I tasted this at the Guinness Believer event in Atlanta, to confirm why I am a Guinness devotee.

4.77/5  rDev +37.9%

Bottled, Guinness Draught is pretty good. Draft, it's probably my favorite stout and "go to" beer when I'm out. It's not meant to be a fine milk stout, people, it's a dry stout. Most excellent beer especially on tap.

Probably one of the best looking beers on the market when it's in its signature 20oz glass. Creamy, although slightly watery, mouthfeel and very dry and drinkable.

4.76/5  rDev +37.6%

What can I say? When you get a properly poured pint of Guinness, there is really not much more to say than slainte! Whether or not your local bar makes a shamrock on the head of your Guinness, there are a few things to look for in a perfect pint.

First, it should be poured in two stages. The barkeep should pull 2/3 of a pint, and let it completely settle. After a minute or so, the final third should be pulled *slowly* to make the head form correctly. The height of the light cocoa-brown head shold be between 3/4" and 1" in total, the top 1/3 of which should rise above the rim of the glass.

A good pint of Guinness should have a faint scent of sweet toasted malt and not much else. Too much scent indicates that it's being served too warm. Too little, and it's too cold. Other scents may indicate a stale keg or an unclean glass.

The color of a Guinness is black in the glass from a foot away. If you hold up the pint against a bright light source (perhaps a crackling fire), it will be seen to have a faint transparency with a dark crystal ruby color, much like a tawny Port would possess when viewed from a distance.

And then the drink... A perfect pint of Guinness (in my observation) will taste malty, slightly toasty, faintly smoky, refreshing without being chilly, and very well rounded with no sharpness. It's low carbonation will allow you to draw in the entire first 1/3 of the pint without stopping (which I like to do with my first pint especially after the anticipation during the pour). It's lingering aftertaste is sweet and makes you want to have another mouthful.

Lastly, and contrary to many people's beliefs, a good pint of Guinness should not leave you bloated and/or full.

The process and understanding behind a properly poured Guinness can be very Zenlike. It is an excellent choice for those who are looking for some solace from the everyday world or perhaps relax and have some good times amongst friends and family.

4.76/5  rDev +37.6%

A- I love the way Guinness looks as it pours. All black with the nitro head to it, that slowly fades and sticks to the glass.

S- Licorice with some hops flavors to it.

T- Very good taste, strong hints of licorice.

M- Very smooth, with the head, it is unbelievablely smooth, only slightly less so once the head is gone lending a slight bitterness to the aftertaste.

D- I could drink these all night. Tastes like I'm drinking a stick of licorice or chocolate bar.

4.76/5  rDev +37.6%

Opaque black with a thick light tan head; I never get tired of watching the cascading as it's being poured and while it sits waiting for the head to form. No beer I've ever had has a creamier mouthfeel. Roasted flavors with notes of coffee. Couldn't ask for a more drinkable beer, never mind a more drinkable stout. I know that by true beer experts' standards (and I ain't hardly a beer expert yet) this is a fairly pedestrian stout, but I always enjoy it.

4.75/5  rDev +37.3%

I cant get enough of this beer, its delightful in every way. I loved everything from its almost black color to the way it smells of chocolate and coffee. It is really easy to chug if your in a hurry because of the low/no carbonation as it is smooth and easy.
I would fly to ireland just to taste it freshly poured from a local pub ;)

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is my Gold Standard for Irish Dry Stouts. It's definitely the Smoothest Beer I've ever had:) Good by itself and as a half-n-half -OR- Black-n-Tan. Love how the Cans & Bottles include the Nitrogen Caps that give the famous "bubbles" that you see in Draft;)

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is the gold standard for a stout. I know that it is not super triple imperial oak aged or anything of that nature that makes other beers get great reviews but it is what it is-A simple, great tasting beer. drinkability is unsurpassed with this creamy, light yet beautifully opaque brew.
roasted malt, roasted malt, and a little bit of twang is what makes this beer the stout that all others apsire to be.

4.74/5  rDev +37%

So tastey. Nothing like a good Guinness. Creamy and with malty-coffee tones. Nostalgic and delicious. Fairly light in ACV too. Nice to enjoy in the evening!

4.73/5  rDev +36.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Great beer! It took me a long time to build up the courage to try this beer. Tried it for the first time at Bible study a few weeks ago. My faith has indeed been restored!

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

It's Guinness, the beer that got me into Stouts, and changed my beer game forever...the hell with crap ipa, and the bud lights of the world...browns, porters, and stouts are where its at! Hail Guinness for quality and flavor, and hail Nitro Stouts!

4.73/5  rDev +36.7%

A: Pitch black with that signature thick creamy Guinness head.

S: Roasted toasted malts. The smell of stout. It might be good old fashioned conditioning, but just smelling it makes my mouth water.

T: Dark chocolate, coffee, roasted malts. Subtle and smooth, unlike a lot of really dark stouts I've had. I think that's what makes Guinness so appealing... it is dark yet so easy and straight forward. There's just nothing not to like about it. Even if you don't prefer the darker stronger tastes of stout, Guinness is mild and smooth enough for even the amateur to fully enjoy. It's a wonderful "gateway drug" into the farther reaches of the stout universe. And it remains a comforting home to which one might return, from time to time.

M: Creamy, thick, but smooth. I'd call it the Bailey's Irish Cream of beers. It's just TOO good to possibly be healthy.

O: What can I say, I love a good Guinness. As much as I enjoy the bottled variety, I've had enough of this on tap to know it's even better live. It's a masterpiece through and through, and I will continue to enjoy it as long as the world turns. In fact, if the world does stop turning, I'll probably choose a Guinness to see the world off with.

4.73/5  rDev +36.7%

Appearance- dark brownish black with a brown head

Smell- not a strong smell, but a slight scent of roasted coffee, caramel

Taste- very delicious taste

Mouthfeel- very smooth, creamy, and easy to drink

Drinkability- Overall excellent beer, I could drink a six pack in 1 setting and still feel great. I drink this beer any time of the year.

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.