Guinness Draught | Guinness Ltd.

Read the review
Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

Guinness Ltd.
Ireland | website

Style: Irish Dry Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

Reviews: 2,194 | Ratings: 7,384
4.8/5  rDev +39.1%

i have to admit i have had this beer many times but untill i got into really teasing beer i never enjoyed it how ever i have gained a new respect for this beer,,,the teste the smell is just wonderfull,,,and as i am not a fan of most dark beers even i have to admit my suprise,,,,this is a good dark beer that i belive everyone should try or try again,,,,

4.8/5  rDev +39.1%

There are not many other stouts that can compare to Guinness in my honest opinion. I have had numerous others and they are just not as good.

Everything from the creamy head that lasts even after all the liquid is gone in the glass, to the deep dark color and complex strong smooth flavour with relatively low alcohol content, makes this one of my all time favorite beers ever.

I will say though that this has varying steps of "amazingness". Starting from fully amazing to less amazing here are the steps:

1) This extremely amazing when served on tap anywhere in the British Isles.
2) Very good served on tap in other parts of the world.
3) Quite good when served in the draught can with the widget.
4) Not as good when served in a bottle. When it doesn't have the gas release widget to give it that creamy effect, its just not as good.

4.78/5  rDev +38.6%

Guinness is my go to beer. Tried hundreds of others but this is my favorite. For me it's a perfect beer. I'm tired of crap IPAs and craft beers. Stick with a winner. Drink Guinness.

4.78/5  rDev +38.6%

This is the one, the one we all use to set our compass when judging other stouts. It's the barometer, the reference point. There was a time it couldn’t be found state side as crazy as that sounds. As a child I remember adults calling it muddy or the meal in the can. The interesting thing about Guinness is you know when you have gotten a really nice one, for it's heaven on earth, you also know when you are on the receiving end of a lower tier one. I guess it's like the pizza saying even when it's bad it's good, ehh well almost. Contrary to what people say don't have to travel to Dublin to get a nice one, just a good bar that cares about its patrons.
For the review I poured the Guinness from a Nitro can into a pint glass. The appearance was ebony, ruby black with a thick foamy tan head. It's smells and tastes of coffee, roasted barley, and hops. It's bitter, dry, watery and very drinkable. The nitro can does a very decent job of imitating a tap.
Overall you can never go wrong with a nice pint of Guinness, find a nice pub or a fresh nitro can/bottle, preferably a solid pub.
I also recommend Beamish and Murphy’s from the Irish Stout holy Trinity, I like all three for varying reasons.

4.78/5  rDev +38.6%

There is nothing quite like classic Guinness, especially served on-tap. From a bottle or can is OK, but there is only one way to drink Guinness - from the tap, nice and cool (3-6 degrees Celsius).

Its dark color - dark and opaque as finest dark chocolate - and rich head with tiny compact bubbles promise an excellent beer. The flavor is strong and a little smoky, with plenty of hoppy bitterness. Smooth as silk and thick but not heavy, it is truly a legend.

I tasted this at the Guinness Believer event in Atlanta, to confirm why I am a Guinness devotee.

4.77/5  rDev +38.3%

Bottled, Guinness Draught is pretty good. Draft, it's probably my favorite stout and "go to" beer when I'm out. It's not meant to be a fine milk stout, people, it's a dry stout. Most excellent beer especially on tap.

Probably one of the best looking beers on the market when it's in its signature 20oz glass. Creamy, although slightly watery, mouthfeel and very dry and drinkable.

4.76/5  rDev +38%

What can I say? When you get a properly poured pint of Guinness, there is really not much more to say than slainte! Whether or not your local bar makes a shamrock on the head of your Guinness, there are a few things to look for in a perfect pint.

First, it should be poured in two stages. The barkeep should pull 2/3 of a pint, and let it completely settle. After a minute or so, the final third should be pulled *slowly* to make the head form correctly. The height of the light cocoa-brown head shold be between 3/4" and 1" in total, the top 1/3 of which should rise above the rim of the glass.

A good pint of Guinness should have a faint scent of sweet toasted malt and not much else. Too much scent indicates that it's being served too warm. Too little, and it's too cold. Other scents may indicate a stale keg or an unclean glass.

The color of a Guinness is black in the glass from a foot away. If you hold up the pint against a bright light source (perhaps a crackling fire), it will be seen to have a faint transparency with a dark crystal ruby color, much like a tawny Port would possess when viewed from a distance.

And then the drink... A perfect pint of Guinness (in my observation) will taste malty, slightly toasty, faintly smoky, refreshing without being chilly, and very well rounded with no sharpness. It's low carbonation will allow you to draw in the entire first 1/3 of the pint without stopping (which I like to do with my first pint especially after the anticipation during the pour). It's lingering aftertaste is sweet and makes you want to have another mouthful.

Lastly, and contrary to many people's beliefs, a good pint of Guinness should not leave you bloated and/or full.

The process and understanding behind a properly poured Guinness can be very Zenlike. It is an excellent choice for those who are looking for some solace from the everyday world or perhaps relax and have some good times amongst friends and family.

4.76/5  rDev +38%

A- I love the way Guinness looks as it pours. All black with the nitro head to it, that slowly fades and sticks to the glass.

S- Licorice with some hops flavors to it.

T- Very good taste, strong hints of licorice.

M- Very smooth, with the head, it is unbelievablely smooth, only slightly less so once the head is gone lending a slight bitterness to the aftertaste.

D- I could drink these all night. Tastes like I'm drinking a stick of licorice or chocolate bar.

4.76/5  rDev +38%

Opaque black with a thick light tan head; I never get tired of watching the cascading as it's being poured and while it sits waiting for the head to form. No beer I've ever had has a creamier mouthfeel. Roasted flavors with notes of coffee. Couldn't ask for a more drinkable beer, never mind a more drinkable stout. I know that by true beer experts' standards (and I ain't hardly a beer expert yet) this is a fairly pedestrian stout, but I always enjoy it.

4.75/5  rDev +37.7%

I cant get enough of this beer, its delightful in every way. I loved everything from its almost black color to the way it smells of chocolate and coffee. It is really easy to chug if your in a hurry because of the low/no carbonation as it is smooth and easy.
I would fly to ireland just to taste it freshly poured from a local pub ;)

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is my Gold Standard for Irish Dry Stouts. It's definitely the Smoothest Beer I've ever had:) Good by itself and as a half-n-half -OR- Black-n-Tan. Love how the Cans & Bottles include the Nitrogen Caps that give the famous "bubbles" that you see in Draft;)

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is the gold standard for a stout. I know that it is not super triple imperial oak aged or anything of that nature that makes other beers get great reviews but it is what it is-A simple, great tasting beer. drinkability is unsurpassed with this creamy, light yet beautifully opaque brew.
roasted malt, roasted malt, and a little bit of twang is what makes this beer the stout that all others apsire to be.

4.74/5  rDev +37.4%

So tastey. Nothing like a good Guinness. Creamy and with malty-coffee tones. Nostalgic and delicious. Fairly light in ACV too. Nice to enjoy in the evening!

4.73/5  rDev +37.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Great beer! It took me a long time to build up the courage to try this beer. Tried it for the first time at Bible study a few weeks ago. My faith has indeed been restored!

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

It's Guinness, the beer that got me into Stouts, and changed my beer game forever...the hell with crap ipa, and the bud lights of the world...browns, porters, and stouts are where its at! Hail Guinness for quality and flavor, and hail Nitro Stouts!

4.73/5  rDev +37.1%

A: Pitch black with that signature thick creamy Guinness head.

S: Roasted toasted malts. The smell of stout. It might be good old fashioned conditioning, but just smelling it makes my mouth water.

T: Dark chocolate, coffee, roasted malts. Subtle and smooth, unlike a lot of really dark stouts I've had. I think that's what makes Guinness so appealing... it is dark yet so easy and straight forward. There's just nothing not to like about it. Even if you don't prefer the darker stronger tastes of stout, Guinness is mild and smooth enough for even the amateur to fully enjoy. It's a wonderful "gateway drug" into the farther reaches of the stout universe. And it remains a comforting home to which one might return, from time to time.

M: Creamy, thick, but smooth. I'd call it the Bailey's Irish Cream of beers. It's just TOO good to possibly be healthy.

O: What can I say, I love a good Guinness. As much as I enjoy the bottled variety, I've had enough of this on tap to know it's even better live. It's a masterpiece through and through, and I will continue to enjoy it as long as the world turns. In fact, if the world does stop turning, I'll probably choose a Guinness to see the world off with.

4.73/5  rDev +37.1%

Appearance- dark brownish black with a brown head

Smell- not a strong smell, but a slight scent of roasted coffee, caramel

Taste- very delicious taste

Mouthfeel- very smooth, creamy, and easy to drink

Drinkability- Overall excellent beer, I could drink a six pack in 1 setting and still feel great. I drink this beer any time of the year.

4.72/5  rDev +36.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Enjoyed at the Guinness Factory, in Dublin, Ireland on tap. Also enjoyed at multiple bars in Ireland (Guinness Factory's was the best). This is the best beer I have ever had, hands down. It's like tasting the milk from a goddesses teats. Don't drink Guinness in the United States, it tastes like piss. Trust me, it really DOES taste different in Ireland.

4.71/5  rDev +36.5%

The beer people love to hate for no legitimate reason, other than the fact it is the most famous stout of all time. Don't judge a beer based on its' notoriety. This is the textbook beer that "beer snobs" loathe, because it reassures the deluded perception they have that smaller always equals better. Anyways:

Appearance- Poured on tap into a guinness glass it presents a dark coffee like color, accompanied with a thick foamy head.

Smell- Subtle tones of roasted malt.

Taste- Divine. Notes of dark chocolate and malt, with faint hints of sweet cream.

Mouthfeel- Lightly carbonated and creamy. The head of a guinness on tap in unparalleled by any beer.

"StopHatingOnClassics"

4.71/5  rDev +36.5%

Guinness is one of the most unique beers I have tasted. Even with its fame around the world as the leading Dry Irish Stout the Guinness Brewery continues to make a quality product. The nitro-bottle can be drunken straight form the bottle or poured into a pint glass (or smaller, the bottle holds 11.2 fl. oz, 0.8 oz must be used for the "rocket-widget"). The famed surge settles quicker from the bottle than form a nitro-forced tap, but it still flows into a tan creamy head. The smell is a bit on the sour side due to their souring technique, and few hops are detectable; just enough to balance out malt sweetness. The taste is something I have only found in a Guinness. The sour taste on top of the dry and roasted malt characteristics make this a complex beer whose flavors compliment each other. The mouth feel is smooth but not overly heavy; a common misconception due to Guinness's deep ruby color. This beer is very drinkable and does not leave a bloated or full feeling. A true winner for the average beer drinker looking for something other than Coors, Miller, or Bud; or for homebrewers looking for a good case at the beer distributor.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

It is easy to be biased when reviewing a beer like Guinness. Particularly for me being Irish-American. But one thing about this beer is certain. It lives up to all expectations. It is a mass produced beer that is a new and exciting adventure every time I drink it. It's color although many think is pitch black is actually a deep deep red. However this color and it's contrast to its trademark creamy white head, poured into an imperial tulip is a symbol known the world over. Perhaps the only beer in the world that can be identified simply by color and glassware. It uses its own signature gas mixture when poured from the tap to keep its light and distinct carbonation level. It's aroma breathes of the dark malts used in making irish stouts. And lastly it's taste. No matter where you go your Guinness may be slightly different depending on temperature, age, which brewery it's from but it always has a dark coffee flavor to it. Few beers have such a beautiful presentation (when done correctly) and even fewer have such a long distinguished history.

4.71/5  rDev +36.5%

This has to be one of my favorite beers to enjoy on tap. For appearance (from tap) it has a nice chocolate coloration to it. Smell is very aromatic and enjoyable. (NOT really hoppy smell but mellow smell) As for taste it has a great coffee and chocolate taste to it and I find it to easier to drink around 55 degrees Farenheit. Mouthfeel well to be honest here I don't really notice any cause I down it quite fast. But drinkability slpendid very, very nice. It is a well made no well crafted beer. Enjoy!

4.71/5  rDev +36.5%

My goodness, my Guinness.

I know the popularity of Guinness has caused it to be looked down upon by many in the beer snob club. However, there's just something about a Guinness that makes my heart warm.

The overwhelming advertising campaign that Guinness has launched over the years has been effective in getting many lousy, cheap beer drinkers to get out of their comfort zones. So, I applaud Guinness for making the world a better place.

To me, the only thing more satisfying than watching a Guinness settle is consuming it. The smooth taste is comforting. While I would say there are other beers out there that are more worthy of the "brilliant" accolade, Guinness will always have a special place in my heart.

4.7/5  rDev +36.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One of the best stouts on the planet. I'm sure some smaller breweries have made better but to make that amount and have it still be so damn good is still amazing. My personal favorite is the head. i love the head of a Guinness. It's like cream almost just beautiful. This will most likely remain my all time favorite stout!

4.7/5  rDev +36.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Guinness is one of the best beers I've ever tried. Most of my friends think I"m nuts.

Best if served on tap. Can is second best. Regular Draught bottle is somewhat of a disappointment, not quite having as much of the bold Guinness taste. Still drinkable though.

All told, probably the closest thing to ambrosia in the universe.

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.