Guinness Draught | Guinness Ltd.

Read the review

Style: Irish Dry Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

Reviews: 2,242 | Ratings: 7,585

14.9 oz can into a pint glass

A - There is not a better looking beer when it is poured than Guinness. The dark black at the bottom, and that mixture of brown/black/and cream color in the middle as it is poured into the glass, and that cream colored head. It is the best looking beer ever.

S - Roasted smells of malts, chocolate.

T - Deeelicious!!!

M - Medium, rich, a nice full mouthfeel. Even though it is thick, it is not overwhelming, almost a silky thickness and it goes down so easy

D - I can always drink a Guinness, any time of year, it goes well with so many things.

One of my all time favorite beers. I should be a little more descriptive on the taste, but it is a true original in my book.

4.03/5  rDev +16.5%

A: Almost black in color with moderate head that stays until the beer is gone, looks almost picturesque.

S: Mostly roasted malt and coffee

T: Great creamy taste, somewhat bitter burnt coffee taste.

M: Very creamy, smooth and somewhat chewy.

D: A very tasty easy drinker.

4.03/5  rDev +16.5%

This is my first review... Hopes it's good haha
Well had this beer for the first time the the other day with some friends and I thought it was one of the best beers I've hAd. In my opinion the taste was fairly bitter but easy to drink. Didn't poor In glass but foam did start to come out of bottle so I'll just assume it had a decent head and laceing. Smelled somewhat like coffee-ish... Very good beer would definitely recomend

4.03/5  rDev +16.5%

Being the inventor and pioneer of the oxygenated "Widget" that creates creamy, distinct, signature pours with towering heads that linger forever, I have no choice but to give Guinness Draught's appearance a solid 5. I often label other stouts (often Nitro'd) that have great creamy heads as "Guinness-like" (read my reviews), SO - this is a standard to be judged by. A deep, dark chocolate mocha colored body with 100% opacity. 5 all the way to the bank.

Dark, roast malts, deep fresh handfulls of coffee beans, freshly unwrapped dark chocolate. Slight herbal as well. There is nothing wrong with this aroma....at all.

Flavor is liberally roasted malts with dark chocolate drizzles, with a roasty coffee dryness. The coffee lingers to the finish. The flavor profile is mild, lightly bitter, exceptionally sessionable, and easy to drink. Both a sipper and a swigger, a rarity among stouts.

Because of the afformentioned sipper/swigger remarks, this one DOES get docked in the mouthfeel category, as it is insanely thin for being a "stout". It's not chewy, it's not thick, it is like skim milk in consistency and flows down about the same. Easily the weakest category here, but still not down for the count.

Guinness Draught does not get the ratings it deserves. It's a mass-produced beer, but it's a damn good one. I'd take a Guinness over most any other mass produced inexpensive beer, and that's no lie.

4.03/5  rDev +16.5%

The Spurs just lost a pivotal game four to the Nets in the NBA finals, making it an even series. I am on my third Guinness Draught in a nitro can and I'm still not over the loss. What does this have to do with reviewing a beer?

Texas law forbids ale under 6 percent alcohol to be labeled stout. A pint of bottled Guinness bought in Texas, therefore, was from separate batch with higher alcohol content. But the word "stout" appears nowhere on the draught cans, allowing the Guinness folks to produce their lower alcohol real deal. Now it is a session beer. Not great for drowining sorrows, but wonderful for an evening of drinking with friends.

The stout pours with the base note of beer, creating a ridiculously creamy tan head with falling bubbles. Black as the heart of Jack the Ripper. The smell is mild, but very malty that could best be described as walking into an Irish pub anywhere in the world.

The taste, which reminded me of used motor oil on my first sip in 1988, is a smooth, but dark roasted malt with almost enough hops for the balance.

4.03/5  rDev +16.5%

Dry Irish stout is one of my favorite styles easy drinking and not highly hoppped. Big creamy head. Great creamy taste. Toasty malt, light coffee flavor. I really love Guinness Draft. Light and refreshing even on a hot day. A session of Guinness is one of the best beer experiences. Highly recommended.

4.03/5  rDev +16.5%

A- Dark brown with an off white creamy one finger head that laces nicely to the last drop.

S- Mild roasted malt and nutty aroma

T- Light roasted flavor with a hint of coffee. Very smooth with a slightly dry finish.

M- Light-medium body, kind of flat.

D- Highly drinkable due to its lightness.

Guinness has the look of a high quality stout. This is probably due to the nitrogen. Guinness lacks the complexity of other stouts but is still delicious.

4.03/5  rDev +16.5%

Okay, this beer arrived a very dark brownish black color nd formed an off white head with little lace. It had an aroma malt, smoke and chocolate. The flavor was of malt and chocolate. The body was creamy and the finsh was chocolate with some smoke present.

4.03/5  rDev +16.5%

Appearance - Poured into a dark stout with a white creamy head

Smell - Minor smell, not enough to pull you in but did not turn you off either

Taste - Not much flavor, slight coffee aftertaste. Creamy, but not sweet.

Mouthfeel - Excellent, very smooth with no bite. Good texture, but not overpowering.

Drinkability - Excellent session beer. With the smoothness I can easily drink a couple with buddies. On a hot day it may be a little heavy.

Very enjoyable beer, not the taste and experience of a belgian but I feel is one of my favorite session beers.

4.03/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

My go to easy to find beer, almost every place stocks it and it never disappoints.
If buying for yourself cans are most certainly the way to go the bottles just do not lead to the same creamy frothy goodness expected from a Guinness.

Reviewed approx 12FEB02....
Half the enjoyment of this beer is watching the pour and head form! Creamy head....mmm, on a jet-black body. Nice coffee-ish nose. Body is actually not as full as you'd expect by looking at it, but does have a great smoothness. More roasty-coffee flavors, and a bit dry in the finish. A pleasure to quaff, though I don't hold it as highly as I did years ago!

overall: 4.1
appearance: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | mouthfeel: 4 | drinkability: 4

4.03/5  rDev +16.5%

Appearance - Poured opaque black color with enormous theatrical surge that settled nicely to greater than a finger extra velvety looking head. Significant lacing right down to the last drop.

Smell - Modest roast malt aroma.

Mouthfeel / Taste - Velvety smooth texture complements the medium bodied roast malt flavor.

Drinkability - Quite smooth, very easy to drink. Excellent session beer.

A.K.A. "Vitamin G". I for one am darn glad that they enjoy the distribution that they have (prefer Murphy's). I recall recently ordering a nitro-can in a smaller Midwest town and folks in the bar gathered around to watch. Anything other than a can of AB was an 'event'. I thought someone was going to call the news team...maybe they were the news team. "I was counted" 2007 toast. To heck with beer snobs.

4.03/5  rDev +16.5%

Precursor to St Pattys Day, and a result of the shopping for said holiday.

Pour is perfect, as usual. one inch head results from the reverse cascade of nitro bubbles.

Almost black body with white head. Damn this thing looks good in a Guiness glass.

Roasted malt. No coffee, no dark chocolate. All malt here. But its not overwhelming. Balanced and drinkable.

I know its watery, but its still good. Very roasted malt is the first thing that comes to mind. Very light body. If this were brewed in the US, it would be an American Black Ale/Schwarzbier. Clean finish that leads to a slightly chewy malt. Those roasted malts are the facade that fades into a soapy feeling.

Order to enjoy Guinness:
(1) Draft- of course!
(2) Draft Can - it taste better than the draft bottle.
(3) Draft Bottle - sounds weird hearing the nitro cap
(4) Can - has a great taste but it needs that nitro boost
(6) Bottle - has a really flat taste...bring on the draft

4.03/5  rDev +16.5%

Had this on tap at a bar last night for the first time. I loved it. Coffee was the most recognizable taste in this beer. Overall it was very creamy and smooth going down. A friend next to me had some and said they tasted grapefruit. I wish more people drank guinness.

4.04/5  rDev +16.8%

What can i say about guinness that hasn't already been said, cascades, coffee, chocolate. The only bad thing about guinness in my mind is that it goes down a little too easy.

4.04/5  rDev +16.8%

I first had this in England when I was 18 and fell in love with it. I Still enjoy it to this day.

It pours brownish black with a massive waterfall of carbonation throughout the brew. Once this waterfall lets up, it's black with a thick,creamy white head. Aroma is on tons of bready malt, with some coffee and chocolate aromas. The taste actually reminds me of hard italian bread crust. There's a nice bitter finish with some coffee/chocolate notes. Mouthfeel is smooth & creamy, just excellent. The benchmark for stouts, and a great beer at that.

4.04/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A: Well the appearance is about as nice as they come. You get the beautiful nitrogen show and then it settles with a dark brown, almost black, body with a nice light tan head.

S: Man this beer smells doesnt have much smell to it. It has some chocolate and coffee with a nice amount of malt.

T: I really enjoy the taste of this beer. It has a nice roasted malt with some earthy tastes. I am also getting some caramel and a lot more malt.

M: This has to be one of the smoothest beers of all time. There is a little bit of crispness, but you hardly notice. Just amazing

O: I know on this site this beer doesnt get great reviews, but man it is very tasty to me. I find it to be easy to drink, tasty and easy to find. This isnt the best stout on the market at all, but this is a nice beer.

4.04/5  rDev +16.8%

Pours black with a thick light tan head that lasts and lasts. Wonderful cake-like lace clings all the way down. Wonderful cascading as you wait for the head to form. This is what appearance is all about, makes my mouth water. Creamy mouthfeel, roasted flavors with hints of coffee. Finishes with some hops to balance and a little dryness. Highly drinkable, difficult to savor as it begs to go down all at once. great beer.

4.04/5  rDev +16.8%

On Tap from the Tilted Kilt in Clearwater, Florida. Served in a straight-side draft pint glass.

Watching this beer settle is part of it's mistique - its a lava lamp for beer geeks... once settled, a perfect 1-finger head of slightly off-white cream meets a pitch black beer.

Lactic, coppery (but not unpleasant) smell upfront followed by strong smells off coffee and earthiness (leather? soil?), very slight hop bitterness comes through in the nose, but blends in well with the metallic odors mentioned above.

The twang that Guinness is famous for, is still ever-present in the tap... it seems to be the predominant flavor upfront, blending well with the roasted malt - that makes up the complete character of this beer. Hops are there as a balance, not too pronounced, but enough there as to clean up the palate.

Thick, soft mouthfeel with a very slight "fizz" character that pairs very well with the flavor and character of the beer. I've spent more money on a good Guinness draft than I've probably spent on all others combined - this is "the Session Beer" for myself and many of my friends.

This beer will always be a classic. The commercial (widget bottle, nitro-can) are pale shadows compared.

4.04/5  rDev +16.8%

I don't care how "common" this beer may be, I say it is perfect in appearance for the style. What other beer has that velveteen cream head in which you can make two eyes a nose and a smiley face in the head and still see it when your finished? The aromas are fine, while the nitrogen charged mouthfeel is one of the worlds great mouthfeels. It must be experienced! The taste is all guiness. A near perfect balance in all things beer. A lovely bitter and a dry style that I can let slither down my gullet all night. I can drink this, and have in a hot sweaty, crowded bar in the middle of August and find refreshment. I hear in Ireland that this beer is even more delicious. I'm half Irish and will one day discover this legend.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - Rich dark color, nice presentatio

Smell - Strong aroma with an intense "roasty" scent.

Taste - Exceedingly smooth with a balance that lends itself to additional consumption. A rich flavor that would be expected from a dark draught.

Mouthfeel - Heavy feel with a thick density.

Drinkability - Very easy to consume with an overall impression of, "Yes, pull me another."

4.04/5  rDev +16.8%

Ah Guinness, my go to hangover beer!

Appearance is dark black with a wonderful creamy tan head

Smells like dirt! But in a good way haha!

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy

Taste is a little bitter and blunt for a stouts with not much going on afterwards.

Overall I love Guinness and it will always have a place in my heart, sure there a better offerings of the style out there, but nothing tastes quite like a Guinness!

Cheers!

look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours with a creamy tan color with cascading waves of brown liquid forming under a thick tan head. After about 20 seconds the motion stops and the rich roasted aromas spring forth. The flavor yields a similar dry, roasted barley character, with the roasted aspect becoming more pronounced as the brew warms toward ambient temperature. Simply one the best ever brewed.

4.04/5  rDev +16.8%

I'm pretty biased when it comes to Guinness- I guess it's because this was the first real beer I was introduced to, and without Guinness, I wouldn't have gotten into the world of craft and micro beers. So in a way, I am thankful for Guinness, I think a lot of people started out on Guinness and continued their way up to the glorious craft beer food chain. I still f--king love Guinness, stout and draught. Where I live, people think Guinness is some odd beer since everyone drinks BMC or some sh-tty malt liquor like King Cobra or Wildcat (full of wiggers and hillbillies in Youngstown). Anyways, still an old favorite of mine, reminds me of my freshman year of college. I've drank it from the nitro-can, nitro-bottle, and nitro-tap. This review is on the nitro-tap.

A- I love watching the foam in the glass roll around and cascade through the class. There is no beer with a better head than Guinness. Dark, Dark Brown, almost black like Coca-Cola. Mocha foam rolls through out this beer until it settles at the top, looking like some hulked up milkshake.

S- The smell, well, it smells sort of sour and skunky, but I don't mind. Nodes of chocolate, coffee, and rye

T- I'm biased, lol, so it tastes awesome. Taste very sour at first, but leaves multiple aftertastes of dark rye bread, burnt coffee/chocolate and roasted grains

M- mmm....almost chewy, like liquid pork chops :) Feels so good to roll this around in my mouth, very thick and dry

D- 2-4 of these babies and I'm done. If you like to get hammered, Guinness is not the beer for you, so alkys steer clear, unless you want a hangover and black vomit. But I'd say its super drinkable only if you cut yourself off after 2. Guinness is a very acquired taste.

Overall, this is one of my all time favorites. It's just a great beer that is widely available. Great starter beer for some.

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.