Guinness Draught | Guinness Ltd.

Read the review
Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

Guinness Ltd.
Ireland | website

Style: Irish Dry Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

Reviews: 2,194 | Ratings: 7,381

Mmmmm Guinness.
I can't say I've travelled much into the realm of stout drinking, the taste has been aquired, and it all started with Guinness.

Drank on Tap cold, splitting a pitcher with a friend. Pours black with a foamy, thick white head, retention was great. Drinks nice, slightly carmel flavored, nice thick taste and mouth feel.

4.05/5  rDev +17.4%

Review from notes. Time elapse from finishing about 15-20 minutes. This beer looks like a good black coffee.. a good thing.
Initial head was quite large but diminished to a consistent 1/4inch thickness for the duration. It's color was light tan or off-white. I chunked a bottle in the freezer for about 10-15 minutes to chill it a bit and this might have been a scootch too long. I am therefore forced to try another one tomorrow. Gee Darn!

There was a mild smell of coffee to go with the coffee appearance. Still not a bad thing.

In my pie-hole it was like a "cold coffee" feel. A little watered-downish perhaps. I didn't find this disagreeable however. There was a hint of chocolate in the mix as well.

The lacing was minimal on this round. We'll see what transpireth on the morrow.

Overall I find this a very drinkable beer and am pleased with it.

OK this is my addendum..

All of the visual qualities were unchanged on the 2nd beer. With the exception being the head. This time without the beginning of ice crystals the head, though even across the board in terms of thickness, had what I will describe as an iceberg effect: There was more head below the fluid line than above. This eventually disappeared.

I don't know if a food pairng is appropriate here but humor me this once and if incorrect beermail me to let me know.

I had this beer w/ dinner. I certainly gave it a solo tasting prior to eating and all points seemed relatively the same. The good part happened upon eating.

Dark meat chicken cooked in crockpot later pulled from the bone and served mixed with Rice a Roni Broccoli au Gratin rice mix. The chicken cooked down with a dose of poultry seasoning, salt, pepper and garlic salt.

When I finished a bite or two and sent it down the hatch I took a respectable sip of the brew. Ohhhh my God! The flavors which last night I hadn't detected now jumped around and made me very happy. This, to me, seemed an excellent pairng of food with drink.

No lite beer here.... Tastes great, more filling.

Thank you.

4.05/5  rDev +17.4%

I know many people wont go for the nitro-can idea but if you have to pick up your beer in a rush at the local convenience store or grocery ...this is the deal. Its heads and heels better than anything with Budweiser,Coors,Miller, etc on the label, and it may not be as good as true Guinness on tap but it will sure do in a pinch. Hell I love the stuff !

4.05/5  rDev +17.4%

A & S - jet black with a pleasant creamy tan head.
T & M- Roasted coffee-like taste and finish. Mouthfeel is light and watery with a smooth finish.
Drinkability - This is so easy to drink and has such a nice presentation about it that it makes you slow down and a enjoy beer.

A classic, and a must have at least once.

4.05/5  rDev +17.4%

Poured from a 473 ml nitro can into a classic Guinness pint glass.

[A]:
It appears dark brown/black with a cascade effect and foamy white head, beautiful to behold, a reddish hue to it when held up to the light.

[S]:
Malt and barley, slight hint of baker's bitter chocolate and espresso bean.

[T]:
Nice malt taste upfront followed by chocolate and coffee notes, very smooth and tamed for a stout, but still delicious and refreshing in its own way. .

[M]:
A silky, creamy mouth feel, not much carbonation at all.

[O]:
What can I say? This beer is a classic, the best stout ever? No, there are definitely better stouts out there even in the Irish style, but Guinness being so readily available, relatively cheap and kicked up a notch from the nitro can, you really can't go wrong, and let's face it, it does have it's own unique flavor and charm that you can't really find in any other beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Typical Guinness in a bottle with a widget rather than can. I don't really get it. It's in the bottle so you can drink it out of the bottle, right? Since when did it become so hard to find glassware? Hell, a plastic pint glass will do. But I guess this is all about show. In any case, I found it no different from the canned version. I didn't think the widget did as good a job, but that was with a single pour with just a few pauses along the way.

4.06/5  rDev +17.7%

Can poured dark brown-black, lots of creamy bubbles in the body that slowly rise to the top to create a creamy thick meringue head on top of the dark beer.

Nice odor of chocolate and coffee

not too heavy taste with a nice lingering coffee feel

Basic stout that I think sets the above average drink. Thick, sweet with a slight taste of bitter to it.. I prefer it at 60 to 70 deg F, refrigerate for about 15 to 20 minutes and drink.

4.06/5  rDev +17.7%

drank a few during a Steelers game out of my buddy's kegerator. Very impressive style that kept my attention. The aftertaste was delightful and drinkablity was perfect. Leaving the beer sit on the table and become lukewarm enhanced the flavor, although when it is served ice cold the flavor is good.

4.06/5  rDev +17.7%

Had the pleasure of dragging my bride to Ireland and visit where it all began. I've always loved the silky smooth caress the stout gives my tongue with each drink. It's a work of art in action watching the amber bubbles swirl in the chocolaty darkness. I wish that every beer lover could visit this place just once to taste this mana from Heaven.

Guinness "Draught" @ 4.2% served cold from a 4pack a 440ml nitro-can
A-the pour is pure magic , almost black , with some red hues when held up to the light , a tan head with great retention leaving large lacing along the pint glass
S-chocolate malt , roasted barley
T-creamyness almost like chocolate milk
MF-so creamy and smooth , full bodied
Ov-one Guinness will lead to another Guinness...
almost to easy to drink , with that said time to crack another one...

Cheers LampertLand

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into an imperial pint glass. The beer is a rich coal black, with a ruby/brown hue on the edges in the light. A thick, foamy tight head sits on top, and holds throughout, with hardly any dissipation. Nice thick lacing holds to the glass. The smell is metallic, but also milky and of semi-sweet chocolate and roasted malts. The taste is smooth and that of bitter chocolate and roasted malts. But again, has a slightly metallic taste, perhaps because of the nitro can. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and very, very smooth.

Overall, this is a classic stout, and it's very smooth and enjoyable. The low ABV is a delight. Don't let the low reviews of the draught pub can fool you -- this beer on tap in Ireland is absolutely fantastic. Great session beer.

4.06/5  rDev +17.7%

Well, it is St. Patty’s Day isn’t it? – So I must have a Guinness. You cannot beat the appearance of this stout. It really is special and amazing. A midnight opaque black with a huge creamy and cascading tan head.

After having this beer in countless pubs in Ireland and England, in bottles and on tap here in the states, and even sampled after a tour of the brewery at St. James Gate in Dublin, I must say I have a big fondness for this beer. It’s calming and a pleasant palate cleanser. Bitterness is right on with nice roasted grain flavors.

Yeah, It may not be the best stout out there, and the taste may vary from country to country and even from bar to bar, and can sometimes taste weak, watery, light or too bitter sometimes,

I say what the hell, smile… it’s Guinness, and it's good for you!

:-)

4.06/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This is a great go-to beer and is always in my fridge. What I like is that although it is a dark beer and very smoky, it is also very refreshing. I could never turn down a Guinness, goes well with seafood as well as steaks and stews... Also great to cook with, it makes stews a lot richer, smokier and toastier. Yesterday I made some chicken étouffée and added a can of the black stuff and came out fantastic! Cheers fellas!!

4.06/5  rDev +17.7%

It's St. Patrick's Day so I'm reviewing Guinness. I obtained my Guinness in one of those 14.9 oz. cans. Guinness pours a black color with no light to be seen through it. What little light appears around the edges of the glass is an extremely dark reddish brown. The creamy off-white head is about one finger high and stays on top of the beer producing a good web of lacing on the glass. The smell is of coffee and roasted malt with a slight burnt character as well. The taste is of coffee and cream, and bitter roasted malt. Mouthfeel is creamy smooth with hardly any carbonation. Guinness is a great beer, but certainly not the end all be all of beer. I'd have another though.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Well no reason to describe this beer, everyone knows or can read from someone else. I do love the thick head the nitro can pours though

Some people complain about this beer, but it is a great go to beer. I wouldn't expect it to have the same taste as in Ireland or of other craft beers. I rate this beer high because I like to always have some around and never don't want to have one. I do like Murphy's slightly better though, sometimes.

As many others have said, Foreign Extra is a lot better but also a lot more expensive. Thats like reviewing a Ford Escort and saying a Mustang is better though....duh.

4.06/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Goes into the glass very dark with a thick light brown head which lasts as long as you drink the stout. Creamy taste. Smells like a stout. Yum! One of my favorite beers and one I use to mix with others!

4.06/5  rDev +17.7%

Geinness Draught poured black with a good size head. It has a coffee like smell, but its very weak. It taste rather watery, with a little bit of chochlate, and coffee flavors. Very easy to drink, the lightist stout I ever had. Overall this stout is great on a summer day, because its not to heavy, but missing alot for someone looking for a real stout.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

While the stout style is not my favorite, I do enjoy a good one occasionaly. The appearance of Guiness as always is as always exceptional. Not for the novice beer drinker, your typical mass produced drinker needs to work their way to this one. Of course alot of the appeal has to do with the pour, a bartender that doesn't know what he/she is doing can ruin this beer. If your half irish like I am you can't help but love Guiness, I tend to want to drink it when listening to a U2 cd......CHEERS

4.06/5  rDev +17.7%

Believe it or not, I made it until this St. Patricks' Day season without having a Guinness. But honestly, it's better than I expected.

This beer is beautiful to look at. It's black as night with some ruby red colors if you hold it up to the light. Just amazing, one of the best-looking beers on the market. 5 out of 5.

It smells like some dark roast coffee and maybe a bit of hops, but mostly it's just roasty and dark-smelling. Pretty good, 4 out of 5.

I know a lot of people complain about this beer not having much taste, but I just can't see it. It's got a dark chocolate and coffee bean taste to it. It's not sweet in the slightest, but it's almost as if it were made to be sweet but just didn't have the sugar added. It's a great-tasting beer, and goes down really easy for a stout.

I mean, Guinness doesn't have the greatest mouthfeel. It's a bit watery, and too thin for a stout. Nonetheless, it doesn't detract much from the experience, so that's excusable.

Overall, it's a good beer. I understand why some people who like Russian Imperial Stouts may look down on Guinness, because it isn't in the same league as beers like that go. But as an Irish Dry Stout, it's pretty damn good, and fantastic for the amount that's produced.

4.07/5  rDev +18%

I looove the taste of guinness. Crazily enough it was the first beer that i ever liked. If you talk to most people they will say, guinness shouldn't even be under a beer category, it should be a food. they are certainly right. You drink guinness like you would eat a meal. Its hearty and quite bitter, which is why i didn't give it a better score for drinkability. You can't just down guinness after guinness, that would be a horrible waste!

for best results drink from tap at a genuine Irish bar. Doesn't get much better folks

4.07/5  rDev +18%

This beer is almost as black as Bedford-Stuyvasant, and I mean that in a good way for both parties. Not as much head as I was anticipating, Chocolate roasted malt hits the sniffer like a fresh breeze.
Smooth,rich taste with very little carbonation. Satisfying. Solid enough to make me lick my lips after every sip.
Certainly not a regular thing, but there's times when a Guinness is just the thing, especially as the first brew of a session.

4.07/5  rDev +18%

Pours a solid black with a velvety smooth, frothy head about a finger in width that likes to persist.

Smell is weak all around, but there's a bit of roasted maltyness to pick up.

There's some roasted malt flavors going on in the taste, maybe a slight tough of caramel. All-in-all the taste isn't incredibly exciting or complex, but is reliable.

Very smooth, though somewhat thin, feeling in the mouth, and very easily drinkable.

Though some people seem to think Guinness isn't what it used to be, it's still a staple and certainly my mainstream beer of choice (that is, of the beers you can get a place like Chili's or Applebee's, Guinness seems to be the best offer). It may not be the best stout in the world, but is always a reliable fallback.

4.07/5  rDev +18%

Nitro tap into pint glass

A: Tar black. The softest, tightest head I've ever seen. Beautiful.

S: Sweet, malty with very slight metallic notes.

T: Don't know what to say....a classic. Sure it doesn't have all of the pomp of an artisinal brew but it is delectable. Smooth, slightly bitter. Coffee, unswetened cocoa. It could very well be chocolate syrup and bog water (a la Simpsons) but it is really great in any event.

M: The very definition of smooth.Like James Gallway and Smokey Robinson in a beer.

D: I've never turned down a Guinness and I am sure I never will.

4.07/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

A: Very attractive bottle. Beer is as dark as strong coffee and looks interesting.
S: Does not smell as strongly as it looks. A little earthy.
T: Earthy and smokey.
M: Smooth, creamy, and a bit dry.
O: This beer is an acquired taste. The first few times I drank it I hated it, but now I have come to enjoy this brew very much.

4.07/5  rDev +18%

I could drink this stuff all day. While the extra stout is closer to what I'd expect from this category, Guinness Draught is still a fine example. I could drink this stuff anytime of the day. From the bottle is pretty good, especially when poured into a tulip glass, but nothing beats Guinness from the tap. Genious!

Appearance: Pitch black with cascading bubbles, .5-.75 of an inch of creamy, thick, give-you-a-mustache head.

Smell: Chocolatey (sp?) and a little bit of coffee, sweet.

Taste: MMM... It tastes... like guinness. The draught is much more smooth than the extra stout, with a bit of a bite or alkaline taste on the back of the tongue after it goes down. Sweet and smooth...

Mouthfeel: Thick, smooth. Not much to say about that.

Drinkability: Amazing. In the right bar with the right crowd and right music, I could easily swill 5+ pints of this stuff.

Delicious!

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.