Guinness Draught | Guinness Ltd.

Read the review

Style: Irish Dry Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

Reviews: 2,210 | Ratings: 7,449
4.04/5  rDev +17.1%

I don't care how "common" this beer may be, I say it is perfect in appearance for the style. What other beer has that velveteen cream head in which you can make two eyes a nose and a smiley face in the head and still see it when your finished? The aromas are fine, while the nitrogen charged mouthfeel is one of the worlds great mouthfeels. It must be experienced! The taste is all guiness. A near perfect balance in all things beer. A lovely bitter and a dry style that I can let slither down my gullet all night. I can drink this, and have in a hot sweaty, crowded bar in the middle of August and find refreshment. I hear in Ireland that this beer is even more delicious. I'm half Irish and will one day discover this legend.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - Rich dark color, nice presentatio

Smell - Strong aroma with an intense "roasty" scent.

Taste - Exceedingly smooth with a balance that lends itself to additional consumption. A rich flavor that would be expected from a dark draught.

Mouthfeel - Heavy feel with a thick density.

Drinkability - Very easy to consume with an overall impression of, "Yes, pull me another."

4.04/5  rDev +17.1%

Ah Guinness, my go to hangover beer!

Appearance is dark black with a wonderful creamy tan head

Smells like dirt! But in a good way haha!

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy

Taste is a little bitter and blunt for a stouts with not much going on afterwards.

Overall I love Guinness and it will always have a place in my heart, sure there a better offerings of the style out there, but nothing tastes quite like a Guinness!

Cheers!

look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours with a creamy tan color with cascading waves of brown liquid forming under a thick tan head. After about 20 seconds the motion stops and the rich roasted aromas spring forth. The flavor yields a similar dry, roasted barley character, with the roasted aspect becoming more pronounced as the brew warms toward ambient temperature. Simply one the best ever brewed.

4.04/5  rDev +17.1%

I'm pretty biased when it comes to Guinness- I guess it's because this was the first real beer I was introduced to, and without Guinness, I wouldn't have gotten into the world of craft and micro beers. So in a way, I am thankful for Guinness, I think a lot of people started out on Guinness and continued their way up to the glorious craft beer food chain. I still f--king love Guinness, stout and draught. Where I live, people think Guinness is some odd beer since everyone drinks BMC or some sh-tty malt liquor like King Cobra or Wildcat (full of wiggers and hillbillies in Youngstown). Anyways, still an old favorite of mine, reminds me of my freshman year of college. I've drank it from the nitro-can, nitro-bottle, and nitro-tap. This review is on the nitro-tap.

A- I love watching the foam in the glass roll around and cascade through the class. There is no beer with a better head than Guinness. Dark, Dark Brown, almost black like Coca-Cola. Mocha foam rolls through out this beer until it settles at the top, looking like some hulked up milkshake.

S- The smell, well, it smells sort of sour and skunky, but I don't mind. Nodes of chocolate, coffee, and rye

T- I'm biased, lol, so it tastes awesome. Taste very sour at first, but leaves multiple aftertastes of dark rye bread, burnt coffee/chocolate and roasted grains

M- mmm....almost chewy, like liquid pork chops :) Feels so good to roll this around in my mouth, very thick and dry

D- 2-4 of these babies and I'm done. If you like to get hammered, Guinness is not the beer for you, so alkys steer clear, unless you want a hangover and black vomit. But I'd say its super drinkable only if you cut yourself off after 2. Guinness is a very acquired taste.

Overall, this is one of my all time favorites. It's just a great beer that is widely available. Great starter beer for some.

look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

First review here, I figured I would review my current favorite.

I purchased a 4 pack of tall cans at a local grocery store. To my dismay, they were located inside of the cooler. I brought the cans home and left them sitting out on the counter to get them to room temp.

On first inspection, the cans love to shoot foam all over the place so I recommend opening over the sink. I poured into a standard 16 oz. pint glass using a pouring method made specifically for Guinness cans with the nitrogen widget. Essentially you flip the can upside down and set it in the glass until the liquid reaches the can and you can finishing pouring from there.

A-The creamy almost coffee colored head and dark chocolatey body are perfect. It is my ideal picture for the perfect beer. 5

A-Fairly neutral. The smell of alcohol is present, unlike in the taste. There is a roasted, smokey note there as well. 3.5

T- Everything I am looking for in a stout. The hints of chocolate and coffee followed with a charred finish. Since the head is present throughout the whole drink, it's creaminess really sets up the bold flavor of this beer. 4.25

F- Very smooth. I can see no problem drinking 6, 7, or 20 of these! I prefer light carbonation in my beers due to stomach issues but it also brings out flavors that may be hidden from it. 3.5

O-I had a bad first impression of Guinness Draught by having the bottled version. Now that I have had it out of the can, I'm ready for Ireland so I can have the real thing. 4.25

4.04/5  rDev +17.1%

I've always loved Guinness Draught from the bottle, but I had the opportunity to drink this from the tap in Dublin and it was an experience.
Appearance: Guinness is the archetype for stout, especially in appearance. Watching the white head foam up out of the black body of the beer, waiting for it to settle out...anticipation makes the drink that much better.
Smell: roasty with coffee like overtones.
Taste: A great stout. The pure roasted barley goodness comes through as the strongest flavor, and that's the flavor that I love in a good stout.
Mouthfeel: Thick and creamy, exactly like it's supposed to be.
Drinkability: One of the best aspects of Guinness is that it has plenty of flavor and yet is smooth and very drinkable. And also with a relatively low ABV, you can have a few without tipping over.

4.05/5  rDev +17.4%

You either love it or hate it. I personally have always been a fan of this Guinness - some experiences being better than others. Overall, I just really enjoy a well poured Guinness. Rich, creamy, and smooth with a roasty malt hint to it. That's my extremely amateur review.

4.05/5  rDev +17.4%

How odd that unlike many N2-CANs, this one has no warning about not shaking it before opening or the idea that there is a widget inside. Or I am one of the lucky winners of the Guinness CAN that rattles when gently inverted, letting me know that there is a rocket-propelled iron mace inside that will shoot out as soon as the CAN is cracked open. Oh, I do so hope that the latter is true! It's been so boring this summer and I could use a life-threatening injury to spice things up. Let's have a go, shall we?

Oooh, f**ksake, it's taken the top of me head off and I just bought that beanie this afternoon! I want me money reimbursed as I'll have to buy another beanie. Naw, just kiddin'! You lot ...

This looked like the Gulf of Mexico, courtesy of BP, in a glass. It had a finger's worth thick, rich cap of medium-tan head with great retention, capable of hanging around well into the fall. Color was a solid tar-black with zero light-penetration. Thank goodness I don't need to re-cap it because I wouldn't know where to start. Nose had a light milk chocolate sweetness underlain by a mild roastiness, kind of smoky, kind of charcoal. Mouthfeel was silky, creamy, like a dollop of something you might add to your coffee. Speaking of coffee, that was its initial flavour on the tongue. It was then followed by a chocolaty sweetness and then a charcoal bitterness. Finish was dry, more toward the charcoal/smoke taste than the sweetness noted earlier. Great lacing throughout. Hopefully, no peliCANs are nearby ... Not really a cooler-worthy beer, but more of a soccer or rugby match on the telly beer. Did I mention I now have the Dish Network? Doctor Who every weekday at 5 PM on BBC America! Who's your doctor and what's in your wallet?

Mmmmm Guinness.
I can't say I've travelled much into the realm of stout drinking, the taste has been aquired, and it all started with Guinness.

Drank on Tap cold, splitting a pitcher with a friend. Pours black with a foamy, thick white head, retention was great. Drinks nice, slightly carmel flavored, nice thick taste and mouth feel.

4.05/5  rDev +17.4%

Review from notes. Time elapse from finishing about 15-20 minutes. This beer looks like a good black coffee.. a good thing.
Initial head was quite large but diminished to a consistent 1/4inch thickness for the duration. It's color was light tan or off-white. I chunked a bottle in the freezer for about 10-15 minutes to chill it a bit and this might have been a scootch too long. I am therefore forced to try another one tomorrow. Gee Darn!

There was a mild smell of coffee to go with the coffee appearance. Still not a bad thing.

In my pie-hole it was like a "cold coffee" feel. A little watered-downish perhaps. I didn't find this disagreeable however. There was a hint of chocolate in the mix as well.

The lacing was minimal on this round. We'll see what transpireth on the morrow.

Overall I find this a very drinkable beer and am pleased with it.

OK this is my addendum..

All of the visual qualities were unchanged on the 2nd beer. With the exception being the head. This time without the beginning of ice crystals the head, though even across the board in terms of thickness, had what I will describe as an iceberg effect: There was more head below the fluid line than above. This eventually disappeared.

I don't know if a food pairng is appropriate here but humor me this once and if incorrect beermail me to let me know.

I had this beer w/ dinner. I certainly gave it a solo tasting prior to eating and all points seemed relatively the same. The good part happened upon eating.

Dark meat chicken cooked in crockpot later pulled from the bone and served mixed with Rice a Roni Broccoli au Gratin rice mix. The chicken cooked down with a dose of poultry seasoning, salt, pepper and garlic salt.

When I finished a bite or two and sent it down the hatch I took a respectable sip of the brew. Ohhhh my God! The flavors which last night I hadn't detected now jumped around and made me very happy. This, to me, seemed an excellent pairng of food with drink.

No lite beer here.... Tastes great, more filling.

Thank you.

look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours wonderfully (if done correctly). Great color and nice foam head. Taste is smooth and has a nice coffee, nutty flavor. Not overwhelming and can be drank by the barrels!!!

4.05/5  rDev +17.4%

I know many people wont go for the nitro-can idea but if you have to pick up your beer in a rush at the local convenience store or grocery ...this is the deal. Its heads and heels better than anything with Budweiser,Coors,Miller, etc on the label, and it may not be as good as true Guinness on tap but it will sure do in a pinch. Hell I love the stuff !

4.05/5  rDev +17.4%

A & S - jet black with a pleasant creamy tan head.
T & M- Roasted coffee-like taste and finish. Mouthfeel is light and watery with a smooth finish.
Drinkability - This is so easy to drink and has such a nice presentation about it that it makes you slow down and a enjoy beer.

A classic, and a must have at least once.

4.05/5  rDev +17.4%

Poured from a 473 ml nitro can into a classic Guinness pint glass.

[A]:
It appears dark brown/black with a cascade effect and foamy white head, beautiful to behold, a reddish hue to it when held up to the light.

[S]:
Malt and barley, slight hint of baker's bitter chocolate and espresso bean.

[T]:
Nice malt taste upfront followed by chocolate and coffee notes, very smooth and tamed for a stout, but still delicious and refreshing in its own way. .

[M]:
A silky, creamy mouth feel, not much carbonation at all.

[O]:
What can I say? This beer is a classic, the best stout ever? No, there are definitely better stouts out there even in the Irish style, but Guinness being so readily available, relatively cheap and kicked up a notch from the nitro can, you really can't go wrong, and let's face it, it does have it's own unique flavor and charm that you can't really find in any other beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Typical Guinness in a bottle with a widget rather than can. I don't really get it. It's in the bottle so you can drink it out of the bottle, right? Since when did it become so hard to find glassware? Hell, a plastic pint glass will do. But I guess this is all about show. In any case, I found it no different from the canned version. I didn't think the widget did as good a job, but that was with a single pour with just a few pauses along the way.

4.06/5  rDev +17.7%

Can poured dark brown-black, lots of creamy bubbles in the body that slowly rise to the top to create a creamy thick meringue head on top of the dark beer.

Nice odor of chocolate and coffee

not too heavy taste with a nice lingering coffee feel

Basic stout that I think sets the above average drink. Thick, sweet with a slight taste of bitter to it.. I prefer it at 60 to 70 deg F, refrigerate for about 15 to 20 minutes and drink.

4.06/5  rDev +17.7%

drank a few during a Steelers game out of my buddy's kegerator. Very impressive style that kept my attention. The aftertaste was delightful and drinkablity was perfect. Leaving the beer sit on the table and become lukewarm enhanced the flavor, although when it is served ice cold the flavor is good.

4.06/5  rDev +17.7%

Had the pleasure of dragging my bride to Ireland and visit where it all began. I've always loved the silky smooth caress the stout gives my tongue with each drink. It's a work of art in action watching the amber bubbles swirl in the chocolaty darkness. I wish that every beer lover could visit this place just once to taste this mana from Heaven.

Guinness "Draught" @ 4.2% served cold from a 4pack a 440ml nitro-can
A-the pour is pure magic , almost black , with some red hues when held up to the light , a tan head with great retention leaving large lacing along the pint glass
S-chocolate malt , roasted barley
T-creamyness almost like chocolate milk
MF-so creamy and smooth , full bodied
Ov-one Guinness will lead to another Guinness...
almost to easy to drink , with that said time to crack another one...

Cheers LampertLand

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into an imperial pint glass. The beer is a rich coal black, with a ruby/brown hue on the edges in the light. A thick, foamy tight head sits on top, and holds throughout, with hardly any dissipation. Nice thick lacing holds to the glass. The smell is metallic, but also milky and of semi-sweet chocolate and roasted malts. The taste is smooth and that of bitter chocolate and roasted malts. But again, has a slightly metallic taste, perhaps because of the nitro can. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and very, very smooth.

Overall, this is a classic stout, and it's very smooth and enjoyable. The low ABV is a delight. Don't let the low reviews of the draught pub can fool you -- this beer on tap in Ireland is absolutely fantastic. Great session beer.

4.06/5  rDev +17.7%

Well, it is St. Patty’s Day isn’t it? – So I must have a Guinness. You cannot beat the appearance of this stout. It really is special and amazing. A midnight opaque black with a huge creamy and cascading tan head.

After having this beer in countless pubs in Ireland and England, in bottles and on tap here in the states, and even sampled after a tour of the brewery at St. James Gate in Dublin, I must say I have a big fondness for this beer. It’s calming and a pleasant palate cleanser. Bitterness is right on with nice roasted grain flavors.

Yeah, It may not be the best stout out there, and the taste may vary from country to country and even from bar to bar, and can sometimes taste weak, watery, light or too bitter sometimes,

I say what the hell, smile… it’s Guinness, and it's good for you!

:-)

4.06/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This is a great go-to beer and is always in my fridge. What I like is that although it is a dark beer and very smoky, it is also very refreshing. I could never turn down a Guinness, goes well with seafood as well as steaks and stews... Also great to cook with, it makes stews a lot richer, smokier and toastier. Yesterday I made some chicken étouffée and added a can of the black stuff and came out fantastic! Cheers fellas!!

4.06/5  rDev +17.7%

It's St. Patrick's Day so I'm reviewing Guinness. I obtained my Guinness in one of those 14.9 oz. cans. Guinness pours a black color with no light to be seen through it. What little light appears around the edges of the glass is an extremely dark reddish brown. The creamy off-white head is about one finger high and stays on top of the beer producing a good web of lacing on the glass. The smell is of coffee and roasted malt with a slight burnt character as well. The taste is of coffee and cream, and bitter roasted malt. Mouthfeel is creamy smooth with hardly any carbonation. Guinness is a great beer, but certainly not the end all be all of beer. I'd have another though.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Well no reason to describe this beer, everyone knows or can read from someone else. I do love the thick head the nitro can pours though

Some people complain about this beer, but it is a great go to beer. I wouldn't expect it to have the same taste as in Ireland or of other craft beers. I rate this beer high because I like to always have some around and never don't want to have one. I do like Murphy's slightly better though, sometimes.

As many others have said, Foreign Extra is a lot better but also a lot more expensive. Thats like reviewing a Ford Escort and saying a Mustang is better though....duh.

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.