Guinness Draught | Guinness Ltd.

Read the review

Style: Irish Dry Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

Reviews: 2,224 | Ratings: 7,526
4.06/5  rDev +17.3%

drank a few during a Steelers game out of my buddy's kegerator. Very impressive style that kept my attention. The aftertaste was delightful and drinkablity was perfect. Leaving the beer sit on the table and become lukewarm enhanced the flavor, although when it is served ice cold the flavor is good.

4.06/5  rDev +17.3%

Had the pleasure of dragging my bride to Ireland and visit where it all began. I've always loved the silky smooth caress the stout gives my tongue with each drink. It's a work of art in action watching the amber bubbles swirl in the chocolaty darkness. I wish that every beer lover could visit this place just once to taste this mana from Heaven.

Guinness "Draught" @ 4.2% served cold from a 4pack a 440ml nitro-can
A-the pour is pure magic , almost black , with some red hues when held up to the light , a tan head with great retention leaving large lacing along the pint glass
S-chocolate malt , roasted barley
T-creamyness almost like chocolate milk
MF-so creamy and smooth , full bodied
Ov-one Guinness will lead to another Guinness...
almost to easy to drink , with that said time to crack another one...

Cheers LampertLand

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into an imperial pint glass. The beer is a rich coal black, with a ruby/brown hue on the edges in the light. A thick, foamy tight head sits on top, and holds throughout, with hardly any dissipation. Nice thick lacing holds to the glass. The smell is metallic, but also milky and of semi-sweet chocolate and roasted malts. The taste is smooth and that of bitter chocolate and roasted malts. But again, has a slightly metallic taste, perhaps because of the nitro can. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and very, very smooth.

Overall, this is a classic stout, and it's very smooth and enjoyable. The low ABV is a delight. Don't let the low reviews of the draught pub can fool you -- this beer on tap in Ireland is absolutely fantastic. Great session beer.

4.06/5  rDev +17.3%

Well, it is St. Patty’s Day isn’t it? – So I must have a Guinness. You cannot beat the appearance of this stout. It really is special and amazing. A midnight opaque black with a huge creamy and cascading tan head.

After having this beer in countless pubs in Ireland and England, in bottles and on tap here in the states, and even sampled after a tour of the brewery at St. James Gate in Dublin, I must say I have a big fondness for this beer. It’s calming and a pleasant palate cleanser. Bitterness is right on with nice roasted grain flavors.

Yeah, It may not be the best stout out there, and the taste may vary from country to country and even from bar to bar, and can sometimes taste weak, watery, light or too bitter sometimes,

I say what the hell, smile… it’s Guinness, and it's good for you!

:-)

4.06/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This is a great go-to beer and is always in my fridge. What I like is that although it is a dark beer and very smoky, it is also very refreshing. I could never turn down a Guinness, goes well with seafood as well as steaks and stews... Also great to cook with, it makes stews a lot richer, smokier and toastier. Yesterday I made some chicken étouffée and added a can of the black stuff and came out fantastic! Cheers fellas!!

4.06/5  rDev +17.3%

It's St. Patrick's Day so I'm reviewing Guinness. I obtained my Guinness in one of those 14.9 oz. cans. Guinness pours a black color with no light to be seen through it. What little light appears around the edges of the glass is an extremely dark reddish brown. The creamy off-white head is about one finger high and stays on top of the beer producing a good web of lacing on the glass. The smell is of coffee and roasted malt with a slight burnt character as well. The taste is of coffee and cream, and bitter roasted malt. Mouthfeel is creamy smooth with hardly any carbonation. Guinness is a great beer, but certainly not the end all be all of beer. I'd have another though.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Well no reason to describe this beer, everyone knows or can read from someone else. I do love the thick head the nitro can pours though

Some people complain about this beer, but it is a great go to beer. I wouldn't expect it to have the same taste as in Ireland or of other craft beers. I rate this beer high because I like to always have some around and never don't want to have one. I do like Murphy's slightly better though, sometimes.

As many others have said, Foreign Extra is a lot better but also a lot more expensive. Thats like reviewing a Ford Escort and saying a Mustang is better though....duh.

4.06/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Goes into the glass very dark with a thick light brown head which lasts as long as you drink the stout. Creamy taste. Smells like a stout. Yum! One of my favorite beers and one I use to mix with others!

4.06/5  rDev +17.3%

Geinness Draught poured black with a good size head. It has a coffee like smell, but its very weak. It taste rather watery, with a little bit of chochlate, and coffee flavors. Very easy to drink, the lightist stout I ever had. Overall this stout is great on a summer day, because its not to heavy, but missing alot for someone looking for a real stout.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

While the stout style is not my favorite, I do enjoy a good one occasionaly. The appearance of Guiness as always is as always exceptional. Not for the novice beer drinker, your typical mass produced drinker needs to work their way to this one. Of course alot of the appeal has to do with the pour, a bartender that doesn't know what he/she is doing can ruin this beer. If your half irish like I am you can't help but love Guiness, I tend to want to drink it when listening to a U2 cd......CHEERS

4.06/5  rDev +17.3%

Believe it or not, I made it until this St. Patricks' Day season without having a Guinness. But honestly, it's better than I expected.

This beer is beautiful to look at. It's black as night with some ruby red colors if you hold it up to the light. Just amazing, one of the best-looking beers on the market. 5 out of 5.

It smells like some dark roast coffee and maybe a bit of hops, but mostly it's just roasty and dark-smelling. Pretty good, 4 out of 5.

I know a lot of people complain about this beer not having much taste, but I just can't see it. It's got a dark chocolate and coffee bean taste to it. It's not sweet in the slightest, but it's almost as if it were made to be sweet but just didn't have the sugar added. It's a great-tasting beer, and goes down really easy for a stout.

I mean, Guinness doesn't have the greatest mouthfeel. It's a bit watery, and too thin for a stout. Nonetheless, it doesn't detract much from the experience, so that's excusable.

Overall, it's a good beer. I understand why some people who like Russian Imperial Stouts may look down on Guinness, because it isn't in the same league as beers like that go. But as an Irish Dry Stout, it's pretty damn good, and fantastic for the amount that's produced.

4.07/5  rDev +17.6%

I looove the taste of guinness. Crazily enough it was the first beer that i ever liked. If you talk to most people they will say, guinness shouldn't even be under a beer category, it should be a food. they are certainly right. You drink guinness like you would eat a meal. Its hearty and quite bitter, which is why i didn't give it a better score for drinkability. You can't just down guinness after guinness, that would be a horrible waste!

for best results drink from tap at a genuine Irish bar. Doesn't get much better folks

4.07/5  rDev +17.6%

This beer is almost as black as Bedford-Stuyvasant, and I mean that in a good way for both parties. Not as much head as I was anticipating, Chocolate roasted malt hits the sniffer like a fresh breeze.
Smooth,rich taste with very little carbonation. Satisfying. Solid enough to make me lick my lips after every sip.
Certainly not a regular thing, but there's times when a Guinness is just the thing, especially as the first brew of a session.

4.07/5  rDev +17.6%

Pours a solid black with a velvety smooth, frothy head about a finger in width that likes to persist.

Smell is weak all around, but there's a bit of roasted maltyness to pick up.

There's some roasted malt flavors going on in the taste, maybe a slight tough of caramel. All-in-all the taste isn't incredibly exciting or complex, but is reliable.

Very smooth, though somewhat thin, feeling in the mouth, and very easily drinkable.

Though some people seem to think Guinness isn't what it used to be, it's still a staple and certainly my mainstream beer of choice (that is, of the beers you can get a place like Chili's or Applebee's, Guinness seems to be the best offer). It may not be the best stout in the world, but is always a reliable fallback.

4.07/5  rDev +17.6%

Nitro tap into pint glass

A: Tar black. The softest, tightest head I've ever seen. Beautiful.

S: Sweet, malty with very slight metallic notes.

T: Don't know what to say....a classic. Sure it doesn't have all of the pomp of an artisinal brew but it is delectable. Smooth, slightly bitter. Coffee, unswetened cocoa. It could very well be chocolate syrup and bog water (a la Simpsons) but it is really great in any event.

M: The very definition of smooth.Like James Gallway and Smokey Robinson in a beer.

D: I've never turned down a Guinness and I am sure I never will.

4.07/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

A: Very attractive bottle. Beer is as dark as strong coffee and looks interesting.
S: Does not smell as strongly as it looks. A little earthy.
T: Earthy and smokey.
M: Smooth, creamy, and a bit dry.
O: This beer is an acquired taste. The first few times I drank it I hated it, but now I have come to enjoy this brew very much.

4.07/5  rDev +17.6%

I could drink this stuff all day. While the extra stout is closer to what I'd expect from this category, Guinness Draught is still a fine example. I could drink this stuff anytime of the day. From the bottle is pretty good, especially when poured into a tulip glass, but nothing beats Guinness from the tap. Genious!

Appearance: Pitch black with cascading bubbles, .5-.75 of an inch of creamy, thick, give-you-a-mustache head.

Smell: Chocolatey (sp?) and a little bit of coffee, sweet.

Taste: MMM... It tastes... like guinness. The draught is much more smooth than the extra stout, with a bit of a bite or alkaline taste on the back of the tongue after it goes down. Sweet and smooth...

Mouthfeel: Thick, smooth. Not much to say about that.

Drinkability: Amazing. In the right bar with the right crowd and right music, I could easily swill 5+ pints of this stuff.

Delicious!

4.07/5  rDev +17.6%

It's not the best Irish Dry Stout but it's the oldest and my personal favorite, however, the beer has degraded in quality over the years so that it's more palatable to the unwashed masses. This review is of a perfectly poured pint at Dublin House on 79th St. in NYC.

Appearance: Deep blackish brown--medium roast coffee ground sludge color (I mean that in a good way), but not dark enough to prevent some light getting through the glass. Properly poored, Guinness has a nice caramel colored half-inch thick foamy head that lasts nearly to the end (but then I drink my Guinness fast). [Old Guinness: pretty much black, no light could get through the glass.]

Smell: Malt, coffee, very faint hop notes. Pleasant but not complex. [Old Guinness: had about the same smell but fuller and richer.]

Taste: Smooth malt creaminess with a little coffee bitterness, a smooth finish. Very good, but not complex. [Old Guinness: again about the same taste but more so, more complex and richer.]

Mouthfeel: Full bodied but just barely, smooth, creamy. [Old Guinness: It was a meal in a glass, thick, rich creamy, like a beer milkshake. Such a shame it's gone!]

Drinkability: Excellent. This is one of my staple beers, one of the all time great session beers. [Old Guinness: ditto.]

4.08/5  rDev +17.9%

Okay the first time I had this beer I wasn't super impressed but I was impressed enough to buy it again. Now I really have acquired a taste for this stuff.

I have had guinness draught in bottles, cans, and on tap. If you can get it on tap it is of course the best but the cans aren't bad.

I love the way this beer looks after it has been poured correctly. It pours very dark almost black. The nitro cascades down as a rich creamy milky head forms about a fingers width.

The smell is unique to this beer. It smells slightly sour with husky grains and coffee.

The taste is similar, tastes sour on the palate but as it warms in the mouth you can taste more of the goodness that is Guinness. It has husky grains taste with coffee, and and another taste that reminds me of cranberries. Mouthfell is slightly thinner than expected but I don't really know why people can't drink more than 2 at a setting. I do think this beer is an acquired taste for most people. This is truly a unique beer in most ways.

4.08/5  rDev +17.9%

Sampled at Majerle's Sports Bar in downtown phoenix.

Serving Type: On-Tap

Appearance: Very dark, almost pitch black but not quite. Nice 1/2 inch caramel head.

Smell: Hints of chocolate, caramel, and roast.

Taste: I was expecting this beer to be very bitter, but I was surprised to taste the underlying smells of chocolate and caramel without the harsh bitterness.

Mouthfeel: I felt this beer was a little thin for a stout, but definitely not the worst I've had.

Drinkability: Very smooth, and easy to drink due to the lack of carbonation you'd find in other beers.

4.08/5  rDev +17.9%

I had a good amount of real Guinness all across Ireland recently, so I figured I needed to give it another rate as it tastes TOTALLY DIFFERENT and TOTALLY BETTER there!

Pours super dark brown with a hint of red. It takes several minutes to pour a proper Guinness from a nitro tap, as the bubbles have to settle throughout. Head is thick, rich, and has a high mininiscus over the top of the glass. Nose is very toasted with coffee notes. Taste is smooth and consistently good, there are no hints of tin, skunk, or over bittered. The balance is really good and while it goes down rich, it isn't that filling. I wish I could have that quality all the time, as I would drink Guinness more.

4.08/5  rDev +17.9%

Big throaty gurgle as it's opened. Poured into a Guinness pint glass.
Head settles quickly, into a 1cm heavy beige forth. It remains.
Dense, black, with dark reddish brown tinges at the very edge.
Aroma... fleshy, pungent & faintly smokey, almost like salami.... hint of milk sourness.
Smoky, creamy, roasty --- I need oysters quickly --- lightly sweet aftertaste, lingering roasted flavours, and also some late grain notes. Medium bitterness at the back. Again, a hint of sourness.
Silky texture, light carbonation, and full bodied flavour all the way back.

4.08/5  rDev +17.9%

Bottle inspection: Brown custom nitro-bottle completely covered in the plastic label, lists calories 126, carbs 9.9 g, protein .3 gr, fat .0 g

Aroma: Mild roasted malt with an odd sour cherry note that I don't remember getting from Guinness in other forms than the nitro bottle.

Appearance: Black glass with thick ruby edges with a creamed coffee full head. Pretty!

Taste: Mirrors the smell exactly, still getting that strange cherry note that I've never noticed before. Otherwise a very neutral taste, some roastiness, but very little.

Mouthfeel: Very light body, almost watery texture and a dry finish.

Overall: The light taste and body really make this an excellent session beer. Classic beer, really one to go to school on. Not surprised it is one of the most often reviewed beers.

look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

I work in a craft beer brewery. My colleagues may or may not lose respect for me due to this, but I really enjoy Guinness Draught. I'm a craft beer drinking fanatic through & through, but I won't lie; Guinness is great for session drinking. I enjoy myself a citrusy, bitter yet malty Imperial IPA, a clovey Weizenbock, a sweet Hefeweizen, and a barrel aged RIS with the best of them, but Guinness suits the mood 9/10 times. It's got the roasty flavor, the persistent head, and the coffee/dark chocolate notes that stouts should have, yet has that perfect drinkability. There is no other stout out there that I can drink like a session beer. But I can pour myself a Guinness over and over. Love it.

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.