Guinness Draught | Guinness Ltd.

Read the review

Style: Irish Dry Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

Ratings: 7,654 |  Reviews: 2,253
3.1/5  rDev -10.4%

A-black with a small tan head that left a small lacing in the glass as it went down.
S-slight roasted malt with a sweet camamel aroma
T-coffee with a slight bitter aftertaste that goes to a water like finish
M-watered down carbonation with a light body
O-I think my expectation where too high on this beer

3.1/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

3.1/5  rDev -10.4%

Good cascading carbonation effect from the nitro can but I'm not really one for gimmicks. I'd prefer a regular pour. Good head.

Aroma is faint malt, bready, and some cardboard

Taste is bready and ends very dry. Toasted grain, burnt toast, slight coffee and bitter chocolate taste.

Mouthfeel: After such a dense head the actual body is very light, with a creamy carbonation.

3.11/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.11/5  rDev -10.1%

Another classic beer! I've had this a couple times, but hated it initially. Let's hope I was just immature in my understanding of beer!

I cracked open the nitro can, and it let out a loud hiss as i poured it. I think my can might be a bit old. the beer bours a very dark but not completely opaque ruby/black. the famous guinness cascade leads to a nice creamy head on top. A very appealing-looking beer.

The smell is light and malty. There is a slight smokiness to it that is quite appealing and also a hint of chocolate syrup, but overall the aroma is faint.

The taste is very mild compared to what i remember. It has some faint toasted maltiness along with some faint smoky coffee. The aftertaste is slightly bitter and burnt.
The mouthfeel is what kills me with this beer! It's so watery!

Overall, I should try this on tap and get a better experience. Not as bad as i remember, but not what I was hoping for either.

3.11/5  rDev -10.1%

A: Dark brown, leaning towards black, with a lingering carbonation lightening things up a bit.

S: Mild, roasty malts. A coffee roast, quite light chocolate aromas.

T: Some toasted malts, with a bit of bitter coffee and leafy hoppy notes. Creamy chocolates rolled into the mix.

M + D: A little light, but decent enough, I suppose. An easy drinker in that sense, and it provides a reasonable lingering taste if allowed.

3.11/5  rDev -10.1%

Says drink from the bottle kind of strange. Guess the tan plastic ring on top is the head(appearance 1). Not much smell either Tastes is lacking also, little more bitter from the bottle but it tastes more wartered down that way. Tried a glass pours nice and dark with rich creamy tan head. Smells of malt some roasting . Tastes light malt dry creamy touch of hops. Thin mouthfeel for a stout but drinakable. Just ignore drink from the bottle and its not to bad.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

3.11/5  rDev -10.1%

When I was in high school, I had a friend whose dad thought Guinness was the Eighth Wonder of the World. He traveled to foreign countries on business a lot and knew a good bar to get himself a Guinness in every one of them, be it China, Germany, South Korea, Japan...you name it. He always said that to really get turned on to Guinness you need to have it at a bar in Ireland. According to him, it tastes significantly better there because it's closer to the source and the bartenders there know the proper way to pour it. Maybe that's true, although I suspect it might just be the placebo effect and the ambiance of being in a real Irish bar.

Whatever it is, American bottled Guinness is really nothing special. My girlfriend adores stouts, so I've tried a fair amount of them. My favorite is Founder's Breakfast Stout. I can honestly say that if it weren't for the fact that I use them for cooking, I would probably never buy another Guinness. It's not terrible by any means, but compared to some of the amazing stouts being put out today by America's craft brewing juggernaut, it is absolutely nothing special. I can see why, back in the day before craft brewing, people would think this is a great beer. Compared to the insipid pilsners produced by Bud, Miller and Coors, it's pretty damn good. But by today's standards it's bland and a little too bitter.

I also think it's funny how people think of this as a filling beer, too. I remember when I was a freshman in college I met a guy who drank an entire six pack of Guinness in one sitting and it blew my mind that someone could handle so much of a brutal beer like Guinness. That just seems silly now that I actually have a fair amount of beer drinking experience. Today Guinness seems like an easy session beer. I could put down six of these things like they were Keystone Light.

BOTTOM LINE: Meh. I would only recommend this beer if you've never tried it, just to add it to your repertoire. Manage your expectations though. The only good thing I can really say about it is that it looks pretty when you pour it.

3.11/5  rDev -10.1%

Widget can into a snifter. Big creamy head, dark brown color. Aroma is pretty tame. It's tame on the palate too, but you've got to love the creaminess of that mouthfeel, although personally there are other nitrogen canned brews that are better, in the style of stouts and other ales.

Guiness Draught is probably lauded more by non-beer heads than it should be and is also probably criticized more by beer heads than it should be. No, compared to a great RIS this doesn't even seem like a stout, but it has some enjoyable attributes: that big creamy head, easy drinker. I buy an 8 pack about once a year and then remember there are better options after I've had one. All around, not a bad brew and drinkable.

3.11/5  rDev -10.1%

Poured from a 14.9 oz can into a pills glass(not my choice). Pours a nice deep brown with great head, and retention. Beer laces nice down the glass.

Small hints of coffee and chocolate.

The chocolate stands out a little more than the coffee. Somewhat sourish and not very strong at all. Has a good creamyness to it untill the aftertaste.

Was kinda watery going down, but it is smooth. It has a thin slightly sour finish to it. Somewhat drinkable due to its smoothness.

3.11/5  rDev -10.1%

OK really who hasn't had this. Irish car bombs the other night, and it was so good. I haven't had one since I joined BA and its just like I remembered it, smooth low alky and enjoyable. They go down so smooth that you don;t think of the % in it cause its so low. doesn't matter it was good, and when nothing else is around I grab one.

3.11/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

3.11/5  rDev -10.1%

Last time i had this in the bottle i was shocked. maybe it was just a bad case, but i think my palet has changed. this seemed more watery and empty than i remember. Its still an ok beer, and i still like it better than other "macro" beers, but this is jumping down on my list, while the on tap version moved up a little.

3.12/5  rDev -9.8%

Can't say this is the best beer I've had.

It looks really nice and dark, but I can't help but notice it's a very "flat" tasting beverage and lacks many flavors in quality. In a way, it's like tasting a sort of a weak "tea-bagged" kind of water that takes multiple sips to really get its experience and there isn't much else beyond that. Overall, it's all right to have as a substitute if you don't have an availability of greater beers in the fridge but it's not something I'd have everyday.

3.12/5  rDev -9.8%

I had a nitro-can of this after having the bottled Extra Stout.

I immediately noticed a difference in this stout versus the bottled version in terms of appearance; this version of Guinness was lighter (more the color of cola) with a lighter, more off-white (compared with light tan) head. The nitro pour produced a flatter, denser head, too.

The aroma was fairly neutral, with the faintest hint of espresso. The mouthfeel (big surprise) was very smooth. I tasted some caramel flavors up front mixed with roasted coffee, which became assertive towards the finish, which was fairly dry. Overall, a more this is Guinness light compared to the Extra Stout, and less interesting -- but also more quaffable -- and that's the idea. That said, I'd still prefer the Extra Stout, as it has just that extra bit of flavor.

3.12/5  rDev -9.8%

Poured into pint glass a long time ago, before I discovered that Guinness is not suitable for my vegetarian diet. The beer is dark, pitch black with a large tan head. The smell and taste are chocolate/bread/malts, the mouthfeel is medium bodied with an extra dry finish. I used to drink these all day during my college years, although once I found other stouts, I was finished.

3.12/5  rDev -9.8%

I love the look of this pour. The black body and the brown castcading head is a sight. Aroma has a light molasses/coffee. Somewhat of a salty acidic flavor with a watery texture and a dry finish. I see this beer as a stand alone, meaning I would drink a glass but I wouldn't drink glass after glass.

3.12/5  rDev -9.8%

Poured this 14.9 oz. can into a Guinness glass (gift pack). No date. The trademark upward cascade is always impressive. Creamy bubbles tumble upward in a rhythmic pattern. The stiff head sits on a clear yet dark brown body. The head remains throughout. The appearance of this one is the highlight.

Smell was nice but one-dimensional. Over-roasted coffee beans.

Taste was roasted malts with a mild sweetness. Weak coffee. Very light nuttiness. Kind of bland really.

Mouthfeel was thin but silky. All of the carbonation was in the head, not the body.

3.12/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had a bottle at my parents' house for Christmas. Beer looks like a monster - deep brown, almost black color with a nice off-white head that leaves excellent lacing. Unfortunately, other than the appearance, there's not much exceptional about this brew. Nose and flavor are very mild, smooth dry roasted flavor. Not a lot going on. Body's a little thinner than it should be, for a stout (and especially for the "meal" that Guinness always claims to be), although it's not bad by any means. Overall, it's mostly just uninteresting.

3.12/5  rDev -9.8%

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.