Guinness Draught | Guinness Ltd.

Read the review

Style: Irish Dry Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

Reviews: 2,236 | Ratings: 7,564
1.58/5  rDev -54.3%

Pours out a cloudy pale that falls like a waterfall into black with a thick head that stays throughout the whole beer. The smell is roasty and light with some sweet molasses tones in it. Taste is watery and it's hard to detect, but once you get a taste it's not great. The roasty flavors have turned into a chemical flavor that makes me cringe. The mouthfeel is watery and unimpressive. I don't think I'll ever have this ever again.

1.58/5  rDev -54.3%

A: Dark reddish brown. Creamy head.
S: Smells creamy with some subtle hop smells.
T: Tastes like water. Maybe only the slightest hint of hops there but I could down this like a soda water.
M: Like water. The nitro bubbles didn't really add anything due to the extremely light body of the beer.

Overall a terrible brew. I had a debate with my friends if MGD was better which is sad. I don't see what Guinness is getting at here. I was thinking beer for the masses but this was just like a soda water. I wish I had ordered a San Pelligrino instead.

1.62/5  rDev -53.2%

What happened to Guinness? I used to drink it on tap in Ireland, where it was good; then had to settle for Guinness Foreign Extra Stout (which is the malt liquor of stout) in a bottle in southeast Asia, then suffered through Guinness Extra Cold on tap in Australia, only to come home to the US after twenty years and experience Guinness Draught (in a can). No flavour at all. Tastes like water. Pointless, and I will never buy it again.

1.65/5  rDev -52.3%

I have used this site for a few years now to see what other opinions are for beers that I try (though I often can't find the beers because I drink a good deal of craft and micro-brew beers), and this is the first time I've gone to the extent of creating an account to give my two cents. My opinion is this: This is a ridiculously over-rated beer. It looks absolutely incredible, but the old saying "don't judge a book by its cover" could not be more true here, just in the reverse manner that is usually used. After the initial appearance, only disappointment follows with this beer. The ABV makes it a good session beer, but if I'm looking for a lower ABV sessioner, I would take most gose, a low ABV saison, or a dunkelweizen over this sorry excuse of a stout any day. Hell, I may even take a pilsner over this stuff.
That being said, I'm more of an IPA guy, so that could be why I find this beer to be so dull and flavourless. It has a decent, subtle coffee flavour to it, but I just can't see why so many people are diehard about this stuff...

1.65/5  rDev -52.3%
look: 4 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Bought in a Dublin pub.

Appearance: This beer does look great. Presentation wise it is fantastic although having to wait 2 mins for the bartender to do the pointless "2 part pour" is annoying. I realise that getting the head to sit perfectly above the rim needs you to stop and wait a few seconds but it doesn't require anywhere near as much theatre as it's given. The taste of course, like any other beverage in the world, isn't affected by the number of times you pour it.

Smell: Not much going on other than a little cocoa.

Taste: Blandness. There's a little bitterness, a little maltiness and some more cocoa flavour but that's about. Aftertaste is a nice bitterness that fades far too quickly.

Mouthfeel: The creamyness of the head is nice but after that it's watery and slightly oily for some reason.

Overall: Meh, I've had plenty of nitro stouts and Guinness is by far the most watered down, mass appealing of the lot.

1.66/5  rDev -52%

Meal in a can is what a lot of folks say about it, but I think I'd prefer actual food. The appearence is a beautiful dark mahogany, with a manila cream top. The head is good sized, but after taking a sip, I realize that this is because this where so much of the carbonation ends up. Since it's so flat, this coffee-chocolate brew would probably be better off served on ice as a mocha latte!

1.67/5  rDev -51.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Not a very full bodied beer, nor does it have a good enough ABV, you can skip and wont be sorry. The taste is too light, just pale on the palate, very light watered down stout feel.

1.7/5  rDev -50.9%

Well. Not much to say here so I'll make it short. If you're going to try some Guinness get extra stout and AVOID draught. Just walk away my friends.

Just walk away.

Watery, plain, boring beer. I hesitate to call it a beer. I hope you have saved your money. Cheers (with a bottle of something ELSE).

1.72/5  rDev -50.3%

i dont understand the point in the idea of a non carbonated brew , dont get me wrong i am all for the "unconventional " product .. but this one was not for me :-(

1.72/5  rDev -50.3%

Reviewed 12/6/2005 (On tap at BW-3s):

Pours a dark brown-black color body, with a big slightly off-white head. Not much aroma. Taste has some malts, a thick roasted flavor, creamy mouthfeel, with a bitter aftertaste. But not too complex a flavor profile.

1.73/5  rDev -50%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Looks pretty cool what with the super massive brown head - it really sucks me in. Go widget! Kind of a dark brown red color, mostly opaque. Seriously impressive retention.

Smells a little malty, like some toast in the other room. Also some dry, astringent aromas.

Hints of chocolate malt and a dry roastiness. A bit of sweet, watery fruit juice. Then we have some cooked veggie flavor and some bitterness. Finishes dry and, thankfully, mostly clean.

If this guy tasted as good as it looked, it could rival the best of the best. Sadly it tastes next to nothing; it sits just south of neutral. Guinness is a tragedy in the world of beer. The next time someone tells me that Guinness'll put hair on my chest... I think I'll cry.

1.74/5  rDev -49.7%

Other than Murphy's, this is probably the worst stout on Earth. Thin, watery, bitter, flat and slightly 'off' tasting. Looks okay, doesn't smell too bad or have a terrible mouth feel (like water), but it's so thin and dry there's no desire to finish the bottle. Won't poison you, but I'd need to be awfully thirsty before I'd bother drinking it.

1.74/5  rDev -49.7%

The king of overhyped beers. I've had this before, but wanted to review it so I ordered it last night.

Appearance is the best part of it. Nice tan head, dark, opaque body. Almost no smell to speak of, except a wisp of smoky coffee. Very little taste either, and the mouthfeel is surprisingly thin. Some coffee, some smoke ... no real chocolate, fruit ... or anything, really.

Just a completely forgettable stout.

1.74/5  rDev -49.7%

This is the worst beer I have ever tasted. Very hard to keep down. Weak, watery, dribble, with lots of foam. I have to say though that I am an ipa man. So maybe it's just a matter of acquiring a taste.

1.74/5  rDev -49.7%

I've been walking this by in the beer aisle for quite some time now and finally decided to try it. I should have kept walking...

appearance-is very dark, almost coffee-like

smell-is slightly pleasant at first, a roasted coffee of sorts. It is very minimal overall though.

taste-is not what i expected from the smell. Watery and sewage tasting, with the slightest hint of coffee that i smelled initially. Expecting a rich creamy taste, it was thoroughly disappointing.

mouthfeel-watery, not very carbonated for a beer.

drinkability-If I downed one of these it'll be an accomplishment. Someone will be getting an early christmas gift (ie, the other 5 in the pack)

1.77/5  rDev -48.8%

This is the worst Guinness on the market, and sets a bad example of what Guinness truly is. For one, Guinness is not even worth drinking if it's consumed from the bottle (as this product is intended). This bottled version of the draught style is absolutely horrid - there is no body to this beer to speak of, with almost no carbonation. Imagine drinking cold coffee with a hint of alcohol, and you have Guinness Draught in a bottle. Gross.

If you are looking for a good, bottled Guinness, stick either to the draught cans (which are only slightly better anyway) or Guinness Extra Stout.

But really, nothing compares to the tap draught.

1.78/5  rDev -48.6%

Had this on tap tonight from a place with a pretty limited selection. Man, I don't recall Guinness tasting so, well, bad. Guess its been years and my tastes have come a long way as I used to enjoy this. It just seemed watery, flavorless, and, quite boring actually. The look is still there - a nice black with a brownish-black foam. The aroma is there. But the taste just wasn't. Its like drinking a good stout, diluted with about 5 parts water. Its black water.

1.82/5  rDev -47.4%

A long time ago, before I really stated learning about beer, I bought the Guinnes hype. Like most people I found the first few pints unpalatable but came to like the beer after some time. Then I discovered real flavour and didn't touch Guinness again for years. A pint of Guinness looks great, smells uninteresting,, has a one dimensional burnt flavour devoid of hops and an overdeveloped nitro-head that doesn't seem to do anything other than maintain the good appearance until the point is finished. If you want to drink Guinness and have flavour, ditch this and stick to the foreign extra offering.

1.86/5  rDev -46.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

20oz draught
4.1% ABV

I tried this beer on March 15, 2008 at 'McCabe's Irish Pub' in Guelph, Ontario, Canada. The beer was a dark murky brown with a thick, creamy tan coloured head that lasted a long time. The aroma was almost non-existent. The mouthfeel was full-bodied, but very little carbonation. The flavour was very reminiscent of diluted tea.

1.87/5  rDev -46%

This beer looks good until you taste it. The darkness leads to disappointment when you realize your drinking black water. If i could class guinness id say it rates flavorwise with a cheap light beer. Guiness is disappointing on all levels. I have a hard time with all the peeps who swear by it. This is the beer for people who want to look bad ass, but still drink a pussy beer. :)

1.88/5  rDev -45.7%

Guinness Draught from the 11.2 fl. oz. nitro bottle which was "extra cold" as instructed on the label was poured into a pint glass and yielded a enormous dense tan head that persisted for several minutes. Lacing was spectacular also. Smell was like burnt candy with some coffee notes. Taste and mouthfeel were watery and lacking in anything worthy of note. Overall, thiis is not a drinkable brew. Previously, I had this from a nitro tap and felt the same way. I thought that might have been a fluke, but now know that any version of this beer is not worthy of a serious beer drinker.

1.89/5  rDev -45.4%

Not a fan. Go with a stout that is produced locally. If you want the real Guinness experience, go to Dublin. Take the brewery tour and get a free sample of the best Guinness you will ever have. Okay. Now that is over, the nitro can was poured into a pint glass. great creamy head make you think this is the real deal but the color is very transparent and thin looking.

The smell is very faint. little toffee smell.

Tastes very thin. Almost a watered down coffee taste. Slightly peat aftertaste.

Really bad. Not worth it. Like I said before. If you want dark, go local.

1.9/5  rDev -45.1%

Guinness Can with widget

A: The pour of a Guinness is a beautiful thing to watch. The way the head forms and the wonderful tan color of it. The beer is very dark almost black looking but small bits of light do manage to penetrate.

S: Very malty and creamy. Seems to be very balanced and very powerful. Chocolates and coffees are very present as well.

T: OK this is where Guinness lost me as a fan. It is completely flat. F on the taste.

Overall this is a never again beer for me. I bought a 4-pack of cans and luckily my girlfriend enjoys them. I've only had Guinness twice. Once it was on tap and out of this can and it was flat both times. I'm sure that that's the way it's supposed to be and I'm not a fan. I would like to try out of the bottle but am very skeptical. Great smell and look but low marks on everything else.

1.92/5  rDev -44.5%

It pours in style; unfortunately, it is down hill from there. The head is not too impressive, as it obviously should have been if this had anything to do with the real thing. It has good color: somewhere between very dark red and black. It smells like stale woodchips soaked in beer. And, as smell and taste are close cousins, one expects what to get from the taste. It tastes like it smells with little body. It is amazing that a beer that looks this way could be so dead. Watery, with a tiny bit of bitterness. You take another sip, and another in the hope that it may come to life; mouth to mouth so to speak. Unfortunately it is dead cold. That watery feeling turns me off, so not much to be said on the mouth feel. A little better than licking a corpse perhaps. At this point, I have no doubt you can guess what I think about drinkability. Some people are necrophiliacs, but I prefer something more vigorous, that is just about any other decent beer. My wife is also of the same opinion overall.

I should add that I like the bottled non-nitro regular Guinness. It is one of those beers I have a love-hate relation with. But I always warm up to it after a few days. That beer exists on its own feet. This really wants to be something else, and fails miserably.

1.92/5  rDev -44.5%

So I think - I've never tried one of these nitro bottles, so why not...
bad decision.
You can't see the beer, so the appearance is a 1. Half the fun of drinking a Guinness is that nitro cascade, tough luck here.
Being stuck in a bottle kills the aroma, what little sneaks out has some roasted malt quality.
Taste was odd, not like a normal Guinness probably due to the lack of smell. Bitter - a lemonade type bitterness, some earthyness, roasted malt, and a bit of chocolate.
Drinkability is awful, I got bored with it halfway through and had to dump. Not as bad as say Corona or Crazy Ed's Chili beer, just boring and useless. This serves no point with the nitro can being on the market.

and the body is water thin

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.