Guinness Draught | Guinness Ltd.

Read the review

Style: Irish Dry Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

Reviews: 2,224 | Ratings: 7,521
1.93/5  rDev -44.2%

Despite the fact that the plastic label beseeches me to 'drink straight from the bottle' and to 'serve extra cold', I will do neither. This will be at my beer fridge temperature of 50 degrees and will be poured into a nonick pint glass. I don't take orders from beer bottles. I'm also chagrined to discover that it checks in at less than 10 carbs (9.9 to be exact). That is what is commonly known as a red flag.

I get the usual nitro cascade effect on the pour, though it seems to be less impressive than what I see from the average nitro can. When the show is over--no more than 15 seconds--I'm left with an opaque, dark brown liquid crowned by a slim finger of heavily creamy, grayish brown foam. The nose is meek and is of roasted malt, chocolate and coffee in roughly equal proportions. Not bad, not great.

Guinness Draught tastes like watered-down Guinness Extra Stout. I mean that literally. It seems less like a weak stout (that was brewed as such) and more like water was added before bottling. What flavor I can discern is of lightly roasted dark malt and weak iced coffee with very little chocolatiness at all. The finish is nonexistent because there's very little flavor to begin with. The body/mouthfeel is, again, watery in the extreme.

Guinness Draught is one of the wimpiest stouts that I've ever had. It challenges my taste buds about as much as kindergarten final exams would challenge my intellect. It may have been a slightly better experience if I had sampled it straight from the bottle, but any beer that has to rely on a gimmick such as that gets no respect from me. This is a beer that doesn't deserve to be taken seriously. Next.

1.94/5  rDev -43.9%

I know there are tons of people who rave about guinness... but for what reason, I don't know...

A: Bartender did not perfect pour this one for sure, but it still looked good

S: smells like burnt coffee

T: tastes like it smells, burnt coffee

M: like cold burnt thick coffee. with no carbonation at all

D: I really don't like this style much at all. I am not a coffee drinker, so this by far and wide is not my cup of tea... er ... beer. I hope this isn't the way all stouts taste...

1.95/5  rDev -43.6%

a- nitro-bottle, i cheated and poured into a pint, the pour was beautiful, dark black color, creamy tan head with great retention. wish everything else held up to the great appearance.

s- roasty, almost cocoa, alcoholy smell.

t- i'm gonna preface with this being my second guinness, but i'm not overly crazy about the taste, maybe it needs to grow on me. very roasty, chocolatey, coffee notes, kind of bitter.

m- for me, it was a little thin.

d- this wouldn't be my first pick out of the fridge, i can see the drinkability and great popularity of this, but just isn't for me.

1.95/5  rDev -43.6%

Appearance: horrible bottle. You can't see the beer due to a plastic cover. Nearly opaque black colour. The head is medium tan, moderately low and dense. May not be long-lasting but presents a fair amount of lacing.
Aroma: weak in general. Roasted coffee and toasted malts.
Taste: confirms the aroma plus some herbal hops.
Mouthfeel: dry, low carbonation and average alcohol strength. Watery, thin and diluted.
Finish: long bitter-burnt aftertaste.

Overall: extremely watery. Very different from the tap Guinness I know (I specially missed the creamy character of the tap version). Poor substitute to the original stuff. If you are looking for a Guinness in a bottle try the "Guinness Special Export Stout". Now that is a beer!

1.98/5  rDev -42.8%

I understand this beer is much different in Ireland. I am reviewing this from an American pub.

A - Thin oily fluid. Looks like a glass of water with a shot of stout in it.

S - I'm not smelling much. Maybe a hint of roasted cofee and malts way off in the backround.

T - Good thing they are serving this cold. This tastes like it appears. I'd compare it to a bottle of poland springs.

M - Weak, oily, watered down, no backbone. Very bland.

D - As long as it's cold there is nothing offensive so I had no problem getting a pint down.

1.98/5  rDev -42.8%

I have had this in the nitro-widget bottle as well as on tap and my review for the bottle is about the same as on tap: this beer is a pale, thin, weak excuse for a dry stout and far inferior to the Guinness Extra Stout. Just as on nitro tap, out of the bottle it is thin and bland, embodying pretty much all the bad qualities of Irish dry stouts with little of the good.

It looks good, always being (in my experience) in a nitro can or bottle or tap. It has an almost black body with an even, medium, creamy light tan head that lasts a long time.

The aroma is exceedingly weak, being mostly light burnt toast and dirty water with a hint of coffee.

The taste is similar, being mostly water with light burnt toast and very faint hints of soil & coffee. It's watery, thin, and bland, so boring it's barely even one dimensional. However, it is not actually unpleasant and it's easy to drink. Even when not too chilled (and many seem to want it cold, confusingly), it still lacks any character whatsoever.

1.99/5  rDev -42.5%

Served from a can with nitro thingamabob.I'm not sure why this version of GES gets such rave reviews. This rendition of GES is truly offensive. Yes, it pours black with typical nitro, foamy head. But the taste is so thin, so metalic with utterly no toasted, coffee or carmel notes that I wondered if I was in fact drinking a Guinnes. Miller Genuine Draft has as much character. This beer is all gimmick, and no heart. I gave the remainer of the 4 pack to a neighbour. If I ever drink Guinnes again, it will be from a bottle.

Sub-Decent beer at best. Pours a nice dark black with a thick tan head. About the only appealing thing about this beer. The smell is of water and very faint coffee beans. The taste pretty much follows the smell. Imagine dropping two coffee beans into a gallon of water and you've pretty much got the taste of this brew down. The mouthfeel is nothing but water, With an even lesser extent of the coffee coming through. Overall I was extremely disappointed in this beer. This is not a stout in any way shape or form. It's 9 parts water and 1 part light coffee.

I really don't know what to do here. Guinness says drink out of the bottle and it is creamier that way (creamier than this version is when it's poured into a glass), but the appearance and smell are N/A. Drinking this stuff blind is actually an interesting experiment although the results aren't very good for Diageo. The best features Guinness has going for it are its beautiful pour and ridiculous quaffability, the first is lost in the bottle, and the second, well it doesn't taste as good either so I'm not too excited to be drinking it.

Ok my first review and had to be a Guinness,lol. Why I really don't like it because back then it would just make me quit drinking. But that was before I experience craft beers.

Appearance: Wow! I love watching the show that this beer put on then it is poured into a glass.

Smell: Same old smell

Taste: Real smooth, so smooth I feel like it's clogging up something when I drink it.

2.01/5  rDev -41.9%

Nitro-can into a pint glass. Sound when I cracked open the can completely freaked me out, sounded like the damned thing might explode.

Appearance- I think the whole world knows what Guinness looks like: "black" (though I've seen much blacker beers) with a creamy, off-white head. The head fades unforgivably fast for a beer that is so invested in having one, and leaves precious little lacing to show it was ever there.

Smell- malty smell, but no depth; nothing beyond a very generic malted smell. The can advises "drink ice cold," and the colder it got, the less smell it had at all.

Taste- I think when I first had Guinness I was around 14, I found it rich and flavorful and interesting; a complete departure from other beers. Now I find it to taste like tap water, with a malt presence on the swallow, and an unpleasant malty-tapwater aftertaste. I was drinking this outside, in the bellow-freezing weather, and as the Guinness got colder, it did become more enjoyable, but that was because the taste faded away almost completely.

Mouthfeel- thin. Very thin. Very similar to water in the mouth. As it got colder, the texture became more creamy, but nothing approaching the weight and silkiness of cream. More like skim milk that was watered down. Very bad.

Drinkability- quaffable, but not especially enjoyable. I remember enjoying Guinness, and knew it was average but tonight it seemed far, far below average. To be honest, I didn't completely finish the can, and I think I might give away the other two cans from the 4-pack. It was that bland.

Summary- They aren't kidding about "ice cold," the only way this beer is reasonable is almost frozen. That said, I was pretty disappointed at the change from how I remembered it in my youth. I guess I'll have to pick up some Extra Stout and see if that is at least Ok.

2.01/5  rDev -41.9%

A- What can you say about a classic? No other beer has this look. Ebony pint with thick tan head that is velvety smooth

S-Next to nothing, spring water?

T-Again next to nothing. Am I drinking foamy water? No bitterness only the barest hint of roast character. more astringent than anything else

M-Thin bodied, but nice creamy head.

O- Looks great! no substance whatsoever

2.02/5  rDev -41.6%

Its amazing how what was once great can turn to crap so fast.

When I first had guinness I was drinking your basic macro lagers. So it was different and great. Had one the other day. Nasty.

A = Still looks great. Pours a dark ruby with a thick brown head with bubbles flowing backwards. Awesome.

S = Slightly roasted malts. But pretty much nothing.

T = Creamy with slight roasted malt flavour, followed by a faint sweetness. Yuck.

M = Watery.

D = Better stouts to drink.

2.02/5  rDev -41.6%

I don't know what to say here. In the midst of looking for something different as my desired brew was sold out, I decided to pick up a 4 pack of these. Immediately upon pouring I found myself impressed with the extremely thick and creamy retentive foam-head. After that, it all went down hill. Smell is very faint, and not at all impressive. Taste was very light, with some slight coffee and chocolate notes that were there, pretty much like flavored water. Mouthfeel was creamy with absolutely no carb tingle. Drinkability would be great if I was being forced to drink it, being so light and watery I could drink until I'm full, but the overall failure of this brew ensures I won't be buying this again.

2.02/5  rDev -41.6%

What did they do to my guinness. I cannot believe that this actually passes under the name of guinness.

Huge creamy head, jet black body.
Water roasted malts, dark chocolate-like bitterness. It is like the nitro sucks all the flavor from this pathetic swill.
Nasty foamy weak thin nastiness.

I had this a half a dozen times just to make sure that this was not a defect at the particular bar I was at and have to say it is the bigest beer disappointment I can ever remember having.

2.02/5  rDev -41.6%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into a tulip pint at Applebee's. Technically, the lable says you are supposed to drink this from the bottle.

Appearance: Black coffee liquid that had lighter brown around the edges. Nice, creamy head that stuck to the glass and stayed for the duration.

Smell: Roasted malts and old coffee.

Taste: Right up front there was a burnt malt taste. In the middle, dark roasted, bitter, old coffee totally won out. At the end, there was a hint of sweetness, then 3-day-old, coffee aftertaste lingered. Nasty!

Mouthfeel: Extremely creamy, almost milkshake feel. Smooth as silk. This was the strongpoint of the beverage.

Drinkability: I couldn't even finish one of these. If this is the essence of what a stout is, then I'm not a fan. If all you've got is this, then get me a glass of water.

2.03/5  rDev -41.3%

I get this on tap often, my local dive has nothing worth drinking but this, and it pairs with my Fish n Chips on those nights, this is from a bottle at home.
Looks near black, very dark brown, initially there was a thick cap but it subsided and left no lacing.
The aroma is light and of watery roasted malts.
The flavors are also light watery roasted malts primarily, the body of this beer is disappointing compared to the nitro version, which adds some creaminess and body to help it out. there really is no favorable characteristics to this version, only drink the nitro version.

2.04/5  rDev -41%

nitro bottle, poured into a guinness glass. I know you are supposed to drink this from the bottle, but I can't do it.

dark brown with ruby tones. Creamy nitro head.

Very light aroma, I have to vigorously agitate the beer to get anything out of it. Mostly light roastiness, with some sweet malt.

Flavor is slightly bitter roast, with a sweet and sour note on the finish.

Pallate is thin.
Not the Guinness I remember.

2.04/5  rDev -41%

Guinness Draught
Guinness Ltd.
Style: Irish Dry Stout
ABV = 4.2

2 beers tested, 10/1/09 (from bottle & glass)

as suggested from bottle
A 0.0 - n/a

poured into a glass
A 4.0 - cool carbo style, 1 finger head, frothy head, expresso bean color
S 2.5 - chocolate toasty maltiness - but subtle -I had to try hard
T 2.0 - bitter watery expresso malt notes
MF 2.0 - watery stale coffee taste, is this nitrogen thing a gimmick?
D 1.0 - I poured this out, terrible example of a stout, I would not drink this for free - seriously - I am not trying to slam this beer but its undrinkable in my opinion.

2.05/5  rDev -40.8%

Meh. I wanted to like it, because it is a classic, isn't it? Loved by many, but I couldn't finish the glass. I like the creamy head, but the taste is like bitter water, without carbonation, without any aroma, without a body and without a hint of sweetness. Beer without the tiniest hint of sweetness is a no go for me.
That said, Guinness has two awesome, in every way superiour beers: the fabulous West Indies Porter and the Special Export.

2.05/5  rDev -40.8%

I have had Guinness several times from different places to try and give it a fair shot. This is a beer that I wouldn't drink if I had other options. I'm not a fan, but again, it just me.

A- The beer is a dark brownish-black when its poured. Has a frothy head to it and the head lingers for quite a while. Looks very attractive.

S- It smells of caramel and coffee. This smell is very misleading. When I first smelled it, I thought that I was going to love this beer.

T- I can only compare this beer to one other thing that I have tasted- Low Sodium Soy Sauce.

M- The feeling it leaves on your palate is thick. I would describe this as a "crunchy" beer. Its so thick, you almost have to chew it (but not literally).

O- My overall impression is that Guinness is good for Irish car bombs, that is about all I would use it for.

2.05/5  rDev -40.8%

This stuff has defintely been hit by way to much commercialism. The smeel is of malt, slight hops and probably its the inside of the keg I'm smelling. the taste is of burnt malt, and grain. not even good grain just,dirt. the hops Is long gone, taken over by the scent of cardboard. Forget about the aftertaste. There is a bitter aftertaste that is from the hops but its more like a carpet.

2.05/5  rDev -40.8%

Got a can from the pool bar at the Royal Pacific Resort, Orlando. The place is great (gotta love the fast pass at Universal Studios), but man, this beer sucks. I like Guiness stout, but this is nothing like that. Looks good enough, but there's hardly any aroma and it tastes like flat, bland water. I mean, why bother? If you like tasting absolutely nothing in a beer, then go for it. Otherwise, pass on this swill.

2.06/5  rDev -40.5%

Appearance: Dark brown body with a dense cream-colored head.

Smell: Exceedingly mild, plain aroma of creamy roasted barley.

Taste: Very vague overall taste with only a mild coffee-like bitterness. From the first sip to the last there's just very little to offer here.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Mild carbonation. Joyless, watery texture.

Drinkability: Perhaps the widget-bottle isn't the way to go, 'cause this beer lacks any sort of distinct characteristics and comes across as watery and uninteresting.

2.07/5  rDev -40.2%

Decided to give the bottle a try. Pours near black with a creamy tan head. Nose has roasted malts, chocolate and not much else. Taste is quite light yet bitter. No better or worse than the can version. Body reminds me of carbonated water. Drnkable, but not very enjoyable.

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.