Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Guinness Draught | Guinness Ltd.

YOUR RATING = None |

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

Reviews: 2,188 | Ratings: 7,357
3.53/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark brown with that famous Guinness nitrogen-fueled head of fine, dark tan, small bubbles that lingers and lingers. Best head on a beer I’ve personally encountered. Smell is pleasingly mild, with hints of charred barley. Taste is slightly bitter, with something of a coffee flavor. Smooth and very watery mouthfeel. Mild, coffee/bitter aftertaste. Very drinkable. This would be a good beer to enjoy all night on tap, but in bottles at $8.50 per sixer, it’s of dubious value. (Note: drink them out of the bottle. Poured, they sometimes taste flat.)

3.39/5  rDev -1.7%

The cascading effect is unhallengable by anyone. This s possibly the best stout from a Nitro I have ever had, and I'm not a natural Guinness supporter.

At first pour, it poured the patented Guinness black, and poured properly gave a thick, smooth, 1 1/2" head that lasted all the way through (characteristic of any true Diageo brew). The aroma was pleasant, and full of chocolate notes, along with a fluffy taste and full body. Evenly thick throughout, and finishes very nicely in all manners. Virtually no aftertaste, which left me yearning for another, and another, and another (as long as you can stomach the weight).

2.74/5  rDev -20.6%

Grabbed a pint on tap at Bullfeather's off State Street here in Madison. I've been on a stout kick of late and sadly this just doesn't hold up to domestic stouts I've had.

Poured jet black with an off-white creamy head that lasted for the entire pint. Helps the appearance but can't help the smell which is mostly neutral, some faint grainy malts, maybe some metallic notes, that's about it. Taste is rather neutral as well. Quite watery with some grainy/oatmeal malts. Slightly sweet, but not to any interesting degree. Mouthfeel is excedingly thin and watery. I could drink it forever, but I really don't have a desire to as the palate was right up there with the Shiner Bock I had last night, which is certainly not saying much. May be the #1 selling stout in the world but there are countless better options if you give it any serious look at all.

3.48/5  rDev +0.9%

From the bottle with the widget inside. It says to drink it from the bottle but I resist. Give this one a pour and watch the show. Not that it is ever as good as on tap but they've set it up so a pour from a nitro can or bottle still gets you the bubble vortex in your glass. As you watch the golden cascade, the pillow of foam floats on top. You may not be able to walk on it but you can draw a clover. Oh, yeah, this beer is dark. Very dark.

The smell out of this is very low. It is like a smell on a breeze and you can pick up the smells of chocolate, sorghum, molasses, or some other mellow sweetness off in the distance.

This Irish fellow is thick but mellow in your mouth. It coats it just a bit with a creamy feel. Along with those other flavors in the smell, it also seems to have an essence of raisin. Very smooth, mellow, and not bitter at all.

I'm not a Guinness disciple but I do enjoy it at times. However, one is usually enough for me and it is hard for me to have another one because of how much it fills me up.

3.53/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a nice dark ebony brown. The head was bright white not as tan as I would have thought. The aroma was weaker than expected with notes of roasted barley. Burnt grain leads off the taste joined by carmel sweetness and balanced with bitter chocolate. Hop notes are faint. This is an instatution everyone should try a pint. They say the closer you get to Dublin, the sweeter the Guinness. I hope to find out some day.

3.79/5  rDev +9.9%

I have been drinking Guinness draught for almost thirty years, and the time has come to review it.
Appearence is hard to beat, cream coloured and cream textured head atop an almost jet black body. Some ruby colour filters through when holding pint glass to the light.
Smells of nothing much, I think the intense head acts as a lid!
Taste: roast malts, a little hops, some rustiness combine with the excellent mouthfeel to give a satisfying sensation.
Drinkability: this is a session beer and no doubt. The 4.2% abv explains why this draught has been the mainstay of much of Irish social life for years.

Drawbacks: Often served too cold in Dublin pubs. Also there is a good deal of variation to be had. I don't know is this can be explained by the fact that the pubs have been doing their own line maintenence for the last 10 years or so, and must vary in their diligence in this regard.

This is so different to bottled Guinness.

3.6/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Filtered coffee appearance. Pours with a creamy white head. Rather subtle burnt grain and chocolate aromas follow through on a very smooth and creamy, medium-bodied palate gentle burnt grain and subtle bitter hop notes on the finish. (It does actually taste creamier when drunk straight from the bottle as the makers intend)

3.33/5  rDev -3.5%

This one looked really good in the glass, unusual to actually get a Guinness pint glass at the place I went to. Almost no head, because the bartender took her time pouring it. Very dark brown, nearly opaque.

Aroma was pretty good... hints of roasted malt and bitter chocolate, but not very strong.

Taste... light roasted malt, but rather flat. Not as flat as the bottled version... THAT, I really disliked. This was OK.

Mouthfeel was OK. Much more drinkable than the standard macro fare available, and although it wasn't exactly what I wanted or expected, it was acceptable.

3.83/5  rDev +11%

Just had this beer from a nitro-can last night and wasn't impressed.

Dark as night, as a stout has to be.

Smell of roasted malts that hinds any hops.

Bitter and hoppy.

Creamy, some chocolate, even mocha-like.

Will have this one instead of most of my Mexican macros, but not instead of my handful micros.

3.16/5  rDev -8.4%

The original guinness draught, a beer around for more than 100 years and a classic at that. Bought a 500 nitro can for $2.70 at the LCBO.

Pours an extremely black colour with a cascading effect. Head is creamy, lots of lacing down the glass.

The smell is of malt and a slight grain finish. Smells musty with a tingering caramel smell.

Taste is so-so. Begins with a creamy almost water like feel on the tongue. A little bitterness hits the back of the throat when going down, and lingers around for a while until you take the next sip. I find this beer very thin in the mouthfeel...much like boddingtons, taste very much like water and cream.

Saying that, drinkability is not to bad but dont expect to down 8 of these in a session, nice for a cold day during winter. If you want something better of the style, try beamish instead, more flavor, less price, better overall package

2.96/5  rDev -14.2%

the is such ah wonderful ber to watch as it's poured. I love it! The way is cascades inside the glass forming a perfect think tanned dark head.

That is where the fun ends with htis beer, unfortunately. There is a slight smell of coffee, malt and hops.

This beer has an extremely thin feel to it, given the super dark color and creamy head.

It is slighly bitter with a hint of chocolate and coffee.

I wonder if I was drinking from a non-clean glass, a dirty line, or an old keg. I remembered this beer tasting much beer.

Boo.

2.05/5  rDev -40.6%

This stuff has defintely been hit by way to much commercialism. The smeel is of malt, slight hops and probably its the inside of the keg I'm smelling. the taste is of burnt malt, and grain. not even good grain just,dirt. the hops Is long gone, taken over by the scent of cardboard. Forget about the aftertaste. There is a bitter aftertaste that is from the hops but its more like a carpet.

4.38/5  rDev +27%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Honestly..unless you get some of this great stout from a bar on tap that doesn't know how to serve it....how can you not like it???
Wonderful head and chocolate/coffee flavor and mildly hopped.
Dark appearance.
Goes down smoothly and has a nice aftertaste but a good one.
In my opinion, this is the best beer you can get at many super markets as far as stouts go for sure. You can't go wrong with this beer. Wonderful. Just excellent.

3.76/5  rDev +9%

This beer was presented to me in the Celtic Bar next to the market square in Mechelen. Don’t be confused the owners are not really Irish, but that’s an other story. The Guinness beer has a very dark amber red almost non-transparent colour. And a small but very compact creamy head. The beer is almost totally odourless. The beer tastes quite bitter combined with the taste of burned coffee beans. It has no carbonation what so ever. It also tastes like bitter burned coffee beans. Only, the taste is also quite watery. The aftertaste is very bitter and very strong. It lingers on for hours. A totally different beer from Belgian Beers, But very loved over here. This is a beer you can keep on hoisting, but not every day.

Ut Vivat, Crescat, Floreat!

3.51/5  rDev +1.7%

I've had this beer an endless number of times. It was one of my stables before I started drinking craft beer. Its color is an opaque black with a light tan head. It has a faint roasted aroma, with an even fainter chocolate smell. The taste is of roasted malt with a faint chocolate aftertaste. The mouthfell is very creamy from the nitro-tap. Overall, this is a drinkable beer great for sessions.

4.04/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - Rich dark color, nice presentatio

Smell - Strong aroma with an intense "roasty" scent.

Taste - Exceedingly smooth with a balance that lends itself to additional consumption. A rich flavor that would be expected from a dark draught.

Mouthfeel - Heavy feel with a thick density.

Drinkability - Very easy to consume with an overall impression of, "Yes, pull me another."

2.96/5  rDev -14.2%

Some background on me and Guiness Draught: In my younger days I used to think of Guinness as a mystical beer. One of the main reasons I wanted to turn 21 was so I could have Guinness on tap. Once I started drinking it on tap I had to say I was a bit dissapointed. Being that I'm irish, I felt like it was my duty to like it. All my friends swore by it but over time I just had to be honest....this beer aint that great. Extra Stout and Foreign Extra Stout blow this beer out of the water. Guiness Draught is just Black Water.

Appearance: Pitch black after the casade is done. Nice creamy head.

Smell: Some roasted coffee and chocolate...although a mild scent

Taste: As my one friend says..."it's a bit soupy". The defining tastes of Guinness are that artifical creaminess from the nitro and a skunky water taste. Their is a hint of roasted malts and coffee...but I'm talking just a hint. This beer has a nasty bitter aftertaste that overstays its welcome.

Mouthfeel: Creamy...but damn does it have a bad aftertaste.

Drinkability: Goes down easy enough. Great for Irish Car Bombs.

3.56/5  rDev +3.2%

Presentation: This beer had a nice big cascade into a traditional ridged pint glass. A finger-and-a-half thick head sat atop the beer, with great retention. There wasn't a lot of carbonation evident. The scent wasn't very remarkable; there were slight hints of chocolate and malt, but not much else.

Tasting: Guinness is a satisfying pub stout and session brew. It was rather dry, without real hop bitterness. Malts dominated the tongue, as well as a bit of chocolate. It's a full-bodied beer, which I liked, and it's very easy to drink, mainly because of the low alcohol content.

Poured well, this is a fine beer. I recommend it for anyone who is looking to try "better beer" in this category. There certainly are more adventurous stouts, but this is a good start.

2.93/5  rDev -15.1%

I carried in several of these on a backpacking trip in the rugged South Cumberland plateau region of TN. I find that nitro cans are the best option for beer in the backcountry. They're lightweight, and because the carbonation won't activate until opened, you won't generate ticking timebombs from constant movement on the trail. Unfortunately this was my only nitro-can option at my local grocery store. Oh well, I guess it could be worse. It poured an almost opaque black with the signature nitro cascading effect which leaves a creamy, albeit thin, beige head. Roasted barley is the only significant flavor and it is not particularly deep and palate coating. Overall the brew is pretty thin, even for a low alc, stout. However this gives it high marks in drinkability and I'd choose this over many domestic adjunct lagers on a hot summer day. It was very satisfying after several miles on the trail.

3.56/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into the glass from the nitro tap. Gloriously beautiful beer. Thick white head atop that dark, dark, dark ruby red body. Smell is of burnt coffee, light hops and sour malt. Taste is dominated by the sour malt, with coffee sticking on your tongue after you swallow, drying your mouth out in the aftermath. I like the beer, a great deal of my friends who are into craft beer were introduced to it by this Irish giant. Personally I think the best part of the beer is how beautiful it is from the tap.

3.03/5  rDev -12.2%

A: 1/2 inch head that lasted forever. Fair amount of lacing. Dark black, opaque in nature. Nice downward cascading bubbles, I like seeing that, especially from a bottle.

S: Dark malts, and an almost burnt coffee aroma. Fairly bland.

T: Sweet and malty with a big coffee taste. Nothing exceptional.

M: Medium body, smooth and creamy. Carbonation (nitrogenation?) is low. Alcohol is almost imperceptible.

D&N: I had this one only because it was a nitro bottle. I got a fairly decent beer out of it. Nothing to go nuts over, but a nice stout on a cold spring day.

3.51/5  rDev +1.7%

Served from the can, this pours an almost black, with just a hint of red, and a nice everlasting beige head. Not much of a smell at all---just a little faint roated malt. Taste too is light, with roasted malts, some coffee flavors, and a faint bitter finish. The beer is extremely smooth and creamy---unfortunately its very thin for a stout and just not satisfying enough. This might be one of the best of the ubiquitous brews, but there are such better stouts that I can't see myself wasting any more money on bringing this home.

3.51/5  rDev +1.7%

An old, familiar staple. After drinking scores of pints of this stuff, I am finally getting around to typing up a review. I always liked the way it looks after poured from a nitro-tap. Pitch black with a nice thick and foamy head. Never goes away. The smell is like peat. Decent enough, but it smells like death. The taste is all malts, burnt chocolate and dirt. Hops are there, but almost forgotten. The mouthfeel is very full and with an incredibly dry finish. One of those beers you can drink all night and make a session out of it.

3.41/5  rDev -1.2%

This beer is unique. Just cracking one open facinated me. I enjoyed that even more than drinking it!
In a nutshell: Good head, great retention. Flavor was somewhat bitter and mouthfeel was a little watery. Then again, this was right after a Black Boss porter. I had another Guinness a few days later, and on it's own, it fared MUCH better. This is the third time I've had this beer and it's growing on me...Maybe I'll try the Extra Stout next since boxing is on tonight.

3.34/5  rDev -3.2%

Well I sure like the way this beer looks, but I couldn't really taste anything special about it. I liked the smooth feel of it, but it went down without my really getting to enjoy it very much. I prefer a stout that has a more defined roasted coffee type of flavor. I found Guinness pretty easy to drink, but there's nothing about it that would make me buy a whole lot of it.

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.