Guinness Draught | Guinness Ltd.

Read the review

Style: Irish Dry Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

Reviews: 2,211 | Ratings: 7,452
2.82/5  rDev -18.3%

I have been looking for a beer that has the roasted quality of this one. I have been craving something like this in my head, but without ever having tasted anything that got close. After my first sip, I said aloud "I have finally found it". Unfortunately, I had changed my mind a few sips later.

Sure, the roastiness is superb. Yes, the coffee notes are delicious. And it is also the best looking beer that I have ever laid my eyes on.
BUT......
Eventually, I noticed that there is a metallic wing to it at the finish. Not pleasant at all. Secondly, the beer is far too watery. If it had more body, a tad more bitterness, and if the metal taste was taken away it would be my go-to beer.

2.26/5  rDev -34.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

I only bought this to get the Untappd badge...

Black beer with a creamy,beige-brown head.
Not much of a nose. Just a hint of roasted malt.
A small taste of roasted malt, a little bit of coffee and nothing more...
Smooth with a dry ending. Almost no carbonation. Waterish mouthfeel.

3.87/5  rDev +12.2%

07/04/2012
The classic pour. The Cascade still amazes me every time. Smooth and creamy, but light, like no other stout. Refreshing despite the thickness of head.Smooth and creamy, but light, like no other stoudt. Poured from a regular bottle this time, so less effect than the draught or the CO2 cans.
03/17/16
On Tap at Killarney's for Lunch.
The Classic Irish Stout. The original Nitro. 3/17, Let's all pay homage and enjoy a legend.

4.43/5  rDev +28.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Super smooth.
Ruby Red (not black).
Fun to drink.
Great creamy head.
Get it at the pub/bar or in the can. Avoid the bottle.
Light beer.
Low calories.
Only a hint of bitterness.
Roasty.

Tried it at the Guinness Brewery in Dublin over the summer. Look: Dark brown/black stout with thick, creamy head. Smell and Taste: Malty and dry. Hints of coffee and chocolate. Feel: smooth. Its true what they say, Guinness is better in Ireland.

4.15/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I'd love to taste this beer again but at least in my area it seems to have been forced out of the market by another nitro stout. so overall I'd give it an incomplete. but in light of the upcoming st party's day holiday I was generous with my marks.

4.74/5  rDev +37.4%

So tastey. Nothing like a good Guinness. Creamy and with malty-coffee tones. Nostalgic and delicious. Fairly light in ACV too. Nice to enjoy in the evening!

3.93/5  rDev +13.9%

Nothing beats the look of a Guinness in a Guinness glass, in a beautiful beer garden with sun shining down. If only there was son/sun and if only I was in a beer garden. I love the blackness VS the whiteness. Brings back so many memories and subconscious feelings.

Aroma, ok not great.

Taste is the perfect balance of flavours. Not as strong as a belgian dark beer, though it works well as a session beer to drink lots of. In my life I have certainly contributed well to their profits. I have never been to Dublin though actually for me Australian and Nigerian Guinness are the best. Nigerian is extra strong :) They sell it in some places in London.

Taste is creamy, with coffee.

I love the feel of Guinness. it is perfect somehow. Creamy and the right consistency.

Guinness makes me happy.

4.01/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Smooth coffee notes. I don't personally pick up on the chocolate people tell me they find. But the velvety nitro head is the perfect way to tell your mouth that something delicious is coming.

Total winner. There is no other stout. None. This truly is the king of the stouts. I've always tried to find another stout option, but no luck. Guinness - simply the best.

Guinness. Pours a coffee-like dark brown with a creamy beige head. Smells and tastes of roasted malts, mocha and caramel. Feels medium bodied and creamy. Guinness is exceptional.

4.23/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Every bottle seems different. Some thicker, some headier. Some sweeter. Some smoky, some blah. Some creamy. Who the hell knows. Buy a four pack, all four taste different.

3.12/5  rDev -9.6%

This is a decent beer but barely above average. I understand the devoted following but I never had time to fall in love with this beer. Sure, it's a classic. But when I turned 21 there were already far better stouts available. It's not that mass produced beers can't be great. They can, and some other Guinness brews make a fine showing. If you love this beer then I'll raise a glass to that, but mine will probably have a better stout in it.

4.37/5  rDev +26.7%

The Gold Standard to which all stouts are measured. Have on tap in my garage with nitro setup.
L - 188 second pour, black as night with white/slight tan head.
S - Has nearly zero aroma except slight nitrogen metallic smell.
T - Smooth and creamy Kona-like coffee, slight butter cream, not an ounce of bitter.
F - Super creamy, slides down like it was made for your tummy
O - Must have on tap in a Spiegelau glass which keeps the lacing all over the glass like diamond-patterned draping. Have had out of bottle and can, but with a nitro keg it is supreme.

2.3/5  rDev -33.3%

L- This is what Guinness is famous for. Poured from a can and within 30 seconds, while it settles, you get an incredibly beautiful beer. Completely black with a creamy, rich, long lasting white head. It never faded.
S- Sadly everything goes down a cliff from here. Toasted coffee, chocolate and grains, but very faint.
T- Burnt toast, coffee, dark chocolate, very weak.
F- Very watery.
O- I remember years ago thinking this was a very strong beer. Now after venturing into craft beer I find this to be a huge disappointment. Way too light and watery.

2.29/5  rDev -33.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.5

What a disappointment this was. Guinness has a great reputation and this beer looks nice, but it totally falls apart in every other area. This came in a bottle that had written all over it "enjoy by the bottle" as though they don't want you to pour it in a glass, which I thought was strange. I did it anyway and it was a good looking stout, nearly pitch black with a thinner than expected white head. Smell is very faint, just a hint of dark chocolate and burnt toast. Taste is strange...starts out very sweet, and after you swallow, there's just this avalanche of burnt bacon, burnt toast, and dark coffee that hits you all at once. No subtle developing flavors here. Despite ALL the flavors at once, it somehow still comes out tasting weak though. Feel is awful, one of the worst I've had. VERY thin, watery, and strangely oily (a friend described Guinness as being like sausage grease). Almost completely lacking in carbonation. Between the initial sweet taste, the thin body, and the lack of carbonation, this is like a flat Coke that has had something go very awry in the bottling process. I may someday try it out of the bottle but I doubt it will fix all the issues I had with this beer.

2.83/5  rDev -18%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

The beer comes in a very dark brown to black.

The aroma hits of cocoa, a bit of chocolate, sweet toasted grains.

The flavor hits of medium roasted grain, an empty and watery mid palate, unsweetened chocolate, a touch of coffee roast, onto a smooth and lacking finish and hits of earthiness.

3.36/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured 16oz pounder can into snifter glass. 4.2% abv *** Correction...14.9 oz...They shorted me on my pint o' Guinness

Appearance- Pours a dark charcoal brown, close to black. Tightly compacted fine bubbly head. Unique cascading effect from N. Opaque.

Smell- Toasted malt, chalky. cooked veggies.

Taste- Sweet lightly toasted malt. Hints of caramel. A touch smoky. Very light, watery grain taste. The slightest hints of coffee. Dry and slight bitter finish.

Mouthfeel- Light in body yet a surprisingly clingy creamy texture.

Overall- A decent easy going smooth beer since it is light but way lacking in flavor. Watery and dumbed down. A novelty due to the cascade and fine head. It is what it is but there are worse choices out there.

2.44/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I haven't had Guinness since I was in college. I remember liking it quite a bit back then. I started exploring craft beer and never really got back to Guinness until tonight, To be fair, Guinness looks great. It looks beautiful, even. However, it tastes like water and only feels mildly like beer. It is not repulsive but it isn't particularly good either. I have three more sitting in the fridge and I will drink them because I don't waste beer. After those three, I won't be back.

4.5/5  rDev +30.4%

Smooth, deep, rich, a dream beverage for fans of dark chocolate, french roast coffee and similar potent delicacies. Great sipping brew with robust flavour to be enjoyed slowly. If I'm having only one beer for dinner or dessert, Guiness Draught satisfies.

3.59/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Had most recently on (nitro) draft into Guinness pint tulip in London. Does it taste better the closer one gets to Dublin? Or is it the atmosphere of damp London and cozy pub? In any event, here's to the classic.

3.5/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.25

sexy looking beer. getting some faint malts, chocolate and coffee on the nose. taste is pretty weak, not quite doing it for me. creamy feel is perfect for the style, but its a bit watery.... as is the taste. overall its pretty drinkable and its decent i guess. i think the only characteristics i rate highly about this beer are due to the nitro... but when i compare it to some other nitro stouts it just doesnt come close.

3.7/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

L: black with a big foamy off white head. Looks great.
S: slight dark roast, but nothing big.
T: very light roastiness, it's has a weak flavor. It's not a bad beer, just lacking flavor.
F: very thin, but very sessionable.
O: a beer when nothing else but Budweiser is available to go to.

3.24/5  rDev -6.1%

Pour from a 14.9 oz "widget" can into a nonic pint. This stout is a very very dark cola-brown, and pours with a lovely nitro-cascade effect, leaving a dense, creamy 1-finger tan head that seems to linger for an eternity. Lacing is filmy and follows the head all the way down. This is still one of the prettiest beers in a glass out there.

Aromas are sweet malts, caramel, toast, and some faintly smoky notes.

The flavors start with a bit of sweet malts, followed by coffee and a bit of bitter chocolate. The finish is somewhat tart and dry, with just a faint trace of hops.

Body is thin and light, as per the style, though the nitro adds a touch of creaminess on the palate. Little carbonation. A very easy-drinking beer, especially with the fairly mild ABV.

Well it's definitely a classic, particularly to those of us who are just old enough to remember to just before the craft-brew explosion, back when imports ruled the world of the would-be beer connoisseur... It's not in exactly an amazing beer (its flavors aren't terribly deep or complex) but it's certainly not bad at all. The iconic Irish Dry Stout is still decent, if not spectacular.

3.98/5  rDev +15.4%

I'm torn, and tempted to move my ratings up based on nostalgia alone. This was my first non AB/Miller brew. It's still a great bar option when they don't have anything new to try, and I pick up a case of nitro cans every year. It fails in taste and feel compared to the " Extra Stout" version, but it's still Guinness through and through, and I'll take it.

Never given a 5 before, but the look is perfect. Every time I rate a stout, this is what I compare against. Jet black body with no light getting through. Light tan head that creates a great contrast. Amazing pillow of fluff and foam that sits thick from the initial pour until the last drink. This one was from a Nitro can, but it may as well have been from the tap. The widgets contained inside these cans are a true marvel of modern science. I would have thought there was a tiny, aquatic leprechaun living inside and pumping out the frothy brew... if I hadn't cut one open to check myself.

I can remember a time when I found the smell to be almost overpowering coffee, burnt malt, and chocolate. Stout virgins I share with, still have similar descriptions. Today, I have to admit I find it a little weak. Regrettably, the same exact description could be said of the taste. It never disappointed, and always gives me what I expect, but there are more flavorful and complex stouts out there. The feel is a paradox. You'll never find a more thick, creamy, lasting head. Unfortunately, the body is slightly, dare I say, watery. Newbies tell me it feels so thick they're chewing the drink...I Wish I could agree.

In the end, this is THE classic stout. It's one that can be used to measure others against. The look is unmatched. The experience is consistent and familiar. It's a great intro into the world of stouts, and a good bridge to keep on hand for poor, lost souls needing an introduction to anything beyond American macros. One more thing... despite its low ABV, this one always hits me a little more than it should. Perhaps the flood of so many memories takes an undue amount of blood flow in my brain, and creates the false buzz. Wish there was a category for intangibles... It would rate even higher.

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.