Guinness Draught | Guinness Ltd.

Read the review

Style: Irish Dry Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

Reviews: 2,236 | Ratings: 7,562
3.36/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance- Pours a chocolatey brown while the beer settles to a dark mud brown. Head is an off-white 2 finger beauty. Always leaves solid lacing down the glass.
Smell- Not much aroma, slightly roasted.
Taste- Slightly soured taste with roasted overtones.
Mouthfeel- Nirto makes this beer. Letting it go flat before drinking is a crime. Drink with plenty of foam on the top!
Drinkability is very high. I can quaff many a can before succumbing to sleep. Not the best Irish dry ever but something that every beer drinker needs to drink at least once.

3.41/5  rDev -1.4%

This used to be my favorite dark beer... until I started trying some micro-brews.

L - Dark black with an amazing tan head that dominates the beer before retreating after a few minutes

S - light coffee hint

T - creamy with coffee hints, but it seems to be watery in comparison to other stouts

M - smooth

D - fairly easy to drink

3.26/5  rDev -5.8%

Had on a nitro tap at Boffy Quinn's pub in Corafin Ireland -- reviewed from notes (though I've had probably 3 dozen pints of this prior ot this point, whey I haven't reviewed it yet... I don't know)

A: Black liquid with ruby highlights when held to the light. Finger thick head of white creamy bubbles leaves some nice lacing going down the glass.

S: Roasted malts come through primarily. The head blocks a lot of other aromas.

T: Some sourness that's nice plays well with the roasted malts.

M: Thick from the nitro, I get the feeling without it it would be a bit thin though, but there is some slight prickling on the mouth, from the carbonation as well.

O: Not something I'm going to pound back a lot of but good when I'm in the mood.

4.68/5  rDev +35.3%

First off, this is my favorite beer period. So this isn't so much a review as it is a love letter to the sweetest nectar on earth.

A: Incredible. The proper Guinness pour is the stuff of legend. That deep ruby hue and frothy head is the beer equivalent to that famous Farrah Fawcett poster. Every boy's dream.

S: The smell is also extremely satisfying. You get a sense of all the coffee and chocolate notes and its the ultimate preparation for what you're about to dive into.

T: Guinness tastes great. I find it to be an overwhelming barrage of flavors such as the aforementioned coffee and chocolate. Some people like a less dominant flavor in their beers and thus don't care for Guinness. There's nothing wrong with that but for those who like some kick Guinness is simply top notch.

M: The mouthfeel is something I find to be completely unique to Guinness. For a flavor with such tang, the beer is surprisingly smooth and full.

Overalll: Guinness is simply a 5-Star brew that I'll likely never say no to. I order one at least one any night I go out drinking. I've heard the North American Guinness is inferior to the genuine Irish product, and that what we get is actually Guinness "Essence" that is mixed somehow with inferior base ingredients. Even assuming this is true, we have not gotten the shaft. Guinness on draft is still the beer to beat. However I don't care for it as much in canned form, the beer is dependent on the proper pour.

3.8/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A tried it straight out of the bottle(recommended) and in the glass. I liked it MUCH better out of the glass. Pours a beautiful, creamy brown head that stays throught the whole drink. I like Guiness Extra Stout better, but this is a very good beer overall. One of the better stouts.

3.95/5  rDev +14.2%

This is my first review, whee.

Guinness Draught, from what I gather, is almost Guinness' equivalent of light beer. And it's insanely better than anything I've tried with the word "light" on the packaging.

I got this at the local provincial liquor mart, including taxes it cost me $3.13 CDN per can. At that price, it's definitely nothing I'd use to actually get drunk, but it tastes great.

The taste and smell remind me of gourmet coffee, with a hint of chocolate. And that coffee taste sure does linger for quite awhile.

Guinness Draught went down very smooth for me, so smooth that I was tempted to chug it very quickly. Then I remembered what I paid for it.

Overall, a highly drinkable beer. I'd definitely be able to drink a few pints of this without thinking twice.

3.51/5  rDev +1.4%

Had on tap at BW-3 Niles. In a pint glass.

A: The famous "Guiness head" of light tan clouds the body of the beer for a minute. Once it settles the body is a translucent reddish black. Head lasts and laces.

S: For all of that head, the scent is kind of weak. What is there is pleasant enough, malty.

T: Malts are upfront. Hops are there but not real strong. Would like a little more flavor but this is good.

M: Here is where this beer suffers. Thin and watery, which I don't mind in other styles but this is supposed to be a stout. Carbonation is almost nonexistent, guess is all went out with that head (and I've noticed the same thing whether it's been nitro or not).

D: Goes down smooth, you can't deny that. If I'm looking for a session beer, this will more than suffice.

I see a lot of mixed reviews for this beer. Not among the greatest, but I enjoy it.

4.21/5  rDev +21.7%

So much about this beer is in the fashion it is served. Never, ever, ever drink this beer out of a can or bottle. The only way to drink Guinness as it is intended is on-top and poured in two parts. It might seem trivial to some, but is as factual a statement as I can make.

I sat at a think wooden bar where Jason pulled 2/3 of my pint glass and let the nitrogen go to work. After the 2/3 had settled he SLOWLY pulled the last third and presented me with a beautiful libation.

The dark stout is complemented perfectly with a smooth, buttery head. The head of the Guinness is what sets it apart, for me, from any other beer. The head is creamy as opposed to airy and rests wonderfully on my top lip as I bring the pint to my mouth.

I draw my head back and open up the back of my throat. This is where the real taste of a Guinness comes in to play. Smooth, slightly bitter and creamy. Perfectly wonderful. For some the taste can be too mild, almost watery when compared to more hoppy beers. And I agree. But the freshness of a Guinness is what appeals to me.

The glass is laced to perfection and I ask Jason to start me another.

For me, when enjoyed properly, Guinness is the master of beers.

3.45/5  rDev -0.3%

I used to drink Guinness a lot when I was a younger lad but now not so much. Maybe it's cause I don't have as many Irish friends as I used to. Thick and milky but not as potent and heavy as I recall. I used to think myself a badass for polishing off five of these during a happy hour. Now I realize at 4.2% that wasn't much of a feat. Quite frankly, I don't find the beer that tasty or flavorable any more. No hops, no bite, and thus very drinkable. Probably why it was so beloved during my salad drinking days. Nowadays, I think I might enjoy drinking this more for the memories, the aesthetic, and the process than for anything else. I enjoy watching the bartender use the slow two-step process to pull it. I'm tickled when a cloverleaf is swirled into the top of the head to finish the pour off. But I don't really love this beer any more. And, I'm certainly not one of those American douchebags who visited Dublin once during their junior year of college and now will spend the next 70 years of their drinking lives telling any one that will listen how much better Guinness is in Dublin. How us dumb Americans get a poorer quality product than they do across the pond. How we drink it too cold here. Or too hot. Or in the wrong, wrong, very wrong glass! How our stupid bartenders don't even pour it correctly! DAMN, that one week in Dublin was awesome! You Yanks just don't get it!!!

Aaron
www.theviceblog.com

3.81/5  rDev +10.1%

I love when they leave a few fingers of that famous creamy foam to let coat the glass. You either love or hate the darkness of this beverage but it does not have that coffee flavor that one might think. The mouth feel is smooth and not to thick that you can't keep the rounds coming. The nice thing about this beverage is you can have it on a hot or cold day.

3.24/5  rDev -6.4%

served on tap...first time having guinness, and i hear this is the best way.

look is pretty typical. everyone knows the signature guinness look: big creamy off-white head, pitch black body.

smell is pretty muted. roasted malt? it's tough to say...it doesn't smell like a whole lot anything.

taste is a little roasty. really thin on the flavor, honestly. no bitterness to speak of. i actually like the flavor, but i wish somebody would crank the knob up a few clicks.

the mouthfeel is actually a little odd. big, creamy head makes you think the beer is thick and rich...but once you get past the head, it's basically like water. really interested, and i kind of don't mind it...but i know that i'd get tired of it quick.

3.89/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap a few hundred times at many bars

A- A beer couldn't possibly look more appetizing than this. A beautiful thick creamy head that retains throughout with lacing that is as good as it gets.

S- Roasted hops and malt are ever present in the nose. Together with the appearance it is one appealing brew.

T- The creamy head is a nice way to start off the taste, then you get the very nice roasted hop flavor that was ever present in the smell. The bitterness that comes in about half way subtley lingers after your sip is done leaving you wanting more.

M- The creamyness of the brew is exceptional. That together with the low carbonation make for a very smooth and drinkable beer.

D- This is a very pleasureable and drinkable beer. Every time you drink one it is like an experience in and of itself. One of the great joys in life is to pop into a pub and grab a Guiness Draught on tap.

4.9/5  rDev +41.6%

Served from: 14.9 oz can poured into a pint glass.
Easily one of my all time favorites. Looks beautiful, with a nice thick head and dark coloration. Smells great too. The taste is a little watery, but it still tastes strongly of roasted coffee and chocolate. Reminds me of an iced mocha. Goes down very smooth. A classic.

1.39/5  rDev -59.8%

This has to be my top 3 worst beers i've had, i even threw it in the sink. I've had the canned one.

If you want to know what this beer tastes like, just pour 50% of any dark beer in a glass, fill the other 50% with water and leave it in the sun for two hours, there you go!

Poured from a can, featuring the famous Turtle art, into an official Guinness glass.
Enjoyed with a bowl of clam chowder.

Let us raise a glass to honor the centuries of Guinness brilliance, and lament the 'blink of an eye', approaching a decade now, that Big Beer corporate sprawl policy has tarnished this mighty legend.

Black. Held to lamp light, brown-black. Thin head, tiny bubbles, moderate lacing.

Subtle. Malty chocolate and quite creamy-smooth. Too watery.

My first Guinness can was in the suburbs of Dublin, Ireland, in the summer on ninety one. I was totally shocked to see it outside a bottle or bar ... In the city proper beheld a shamrock impression artistically rendered into the canvas of my pint's foam!

Happy memory stats,
Cheers!!

3.7/5  rDev +6.9%

Ah, good ol' Guinness. This is the beer I credit as starting me towards the better beers in life.

Appearance: This is the one part of this beer I think no one can complain about. Absolutely beautiful. Deep black with a thick and creamy head, and the cascading effect is absolutely magnificent.

Smell: I reall wasn't able to smell much from this one. Little hints of roastiness and maltiness. No hops. Certainly not an unpleasant smell, just not significant.

Taste: Very thin. Creamy with some nice coffee and roasted flavors. In fact, that's about all that's there. Tastes quite good, however not a strong taste in the least.

Mouthfeel: I personally enjoy the nitro mouthfeel. It's a bit then, but the creaminess and texture of the carbonation is distinct from the CO2 and a nice change of pace.

Drinkability: Fantastically drinkable beer. Love to go with these for a session, the ABV is relatively low at 4.2, so you can have a ton and not be in too bad of shape. Given an unlimited amount of free guinness in an evening, i'm not sure when I'd stop.

4.5/5  rDev +30.1%

While this isn't Guinness on tap, it is the next best thing. If you can't go to a pub for a few pints, then belly up to a few cans of this. It pours nice, thick and malty with a killer head. The head sticks around for a while, as it should. In fact, it is rare that I don't finish the glass before the head disappears. It has the nice dark color, with the beautiful tan head that I've come to love. Smells sweet, very distinctive. Taste is incredible, a nice malty, nutty taste. Tastes the same from beginning to end. Not overpowering at all, very smooth. I could drink these all day. I normally won't go for these in the summer, a bit too heavy for me in the heat, but if the temperature is below 60 I can't get enough of these.

3.86/5  rDev +11.6%

What else can really be said about this beer...not much really. I know it's not the same in the U.S. as it is in the U.K., but nonetheless, this is still an excellent stout that evokes strong memories from most beer drinkers. When in a dark pub with lot's wood furniture and comfortable booths, what better to drink?

A: pours just off black, with a a thin nitro head that settles in 60 sec.
S: coffee, chocolate
T: roasted coffee, toffee, chocolate
M: wonderful, full mouth feel, but not a heavy beer
D: Why not drink a beer that tastes like a meal, but isn't heavy on calories?

4.06/5  rDev +17.3%

drank a few during a Steelers game out of my buddy's kegerator. Very impressive style that kept my attention. The aftertaste was delightful and drinkablity was perfect. Leaving the beer sit on the table and become lukewarm enhanced the flavor, although when it is served ice cold the flavor is good.

3.45/5  rDev -0.3%

A black opaque liquid topped by a small beige head that leaves some specks of lacing.
A quite good roasted smell that has some coffee to it. The taste also has some of the roastiness maybe some chocolate, but the mouthfeel is very bland for a 'black' beer, even bland for the Spanish average, quite watery if I may.

Overall a good appearence and smell but not well rounded with all that watery sensation.

3.1/5  rDev -10.4%

Poured from a bottle into one of our regular kitchen glasses.

Dark tan foamy head, with a stormy black body. Aroma was of toast and burnt caramel.

Texture was very thin and smooth, and taste was of country white bread, pasteurized milk and a side of chocolate. Not a very bitter brew, at all. The most complex flavor came in a licorice form.

Overall, not sure if I poured it correctly, but I was expecting a little more head, and aroma from a world-class brand. Have had much better microbrew stouts in my opinion, but I will keep trying it when available to see if I can't grow more of a liking to it.

3.39/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured an almost non-existent head. Beer is a dark, seemingly opaque brown. Has a malty smell. Slightly watered down malty, chocolate taste. Some lacing occurs. Has a slightly bitter aftertaste. Ultimately, this was a good beer. Didn't like it in college but it has grown on me through time. This will definitely not be the last time I buy Guinness. Almost makes me want shepherd's pie.

4.77/5  rDev +37.9%

Bottled, Guinness Draught is pretty good. Draft, it's probably my favorite stout and "go to" beer when I'm out. It's not meant to be a fine milk stout, people, it's a dry stout. Most excellent beer especially on tap.

Probably one of the best looking beers on the market when it's in its signature 20oz glass. Creamy, although slightly watery, mouthfeel and very dry and drinkable.

3.34/5  rDev -3.5%

Well I sure like the way this beer looks, but I couldn't really taste anything special about it. I liked the smooth feel of it, but it went down without my really getting to enjoy it very much. I prefer a stout that has a more defined roasted coffee type of flavor. I found Guinness pretty easy to drink, but there's nothing about it that would make me buy a whole lot of it.

4.08/5  rDev +17.9%

Okay the first time I had this beer I wasn't super impressed but I was impressed enough to buy it again. Now I really have acquired a taste for this stuff.

I have had guinness draught in bottles, cans, and on tap. If you can get it on tap it is of course the best but the cans aren't bad.

I love the way this beer looks after it has been poured correctly. It pours very dark almost black. The nitro cascades down as a rich creamy milky head forms about a fingers width.

The smell is unique to this beer. It smells slightly sour with husky grains and coffee.

The taste is similar, tastes sour on the palate but as it warms in the mouth you can taste more of the goodness that is Guinness. It has husky grains taste with coffee, and and another taste that reminds me of cranberries. Mouthfell is slightly thinner than expected but I don't really know why people can't drink more than 2 at a setting. I do think this beer is an acquired taste for most people. This is truly a unique beer in most ways.

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.