Guinness Draught | Guinness Ltd.

Read the review
Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

Guinness Ltd.

Style: Irish Dry Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

Reviews: 2,204 | Ratings: 7,428
3.34/5  rDev -3.2%

Well I sure like the way this beer looks, but I couldn't really taste anything special about it. I liked the smooth feel of it, but it went down without my really getting to enjoy it very much. I prefer a stout that has a more defined roasted coffee type of flavor. I found Guinness pretty easy to drink, but there's nothing about it that would make me buy a whole lot of it.

4.08/5  rDev +18.3%

Okay the first time I had this beer I wasn't super impressed but I was impressed enough to buy it again. Now I really have acquired a taste for this stuff.

I have had guinness draught in bottles, cans, and on tap. If you can get it on tap it is of course the best but the cans aren't bad.

I love the way this beer looks after it has been poured correctly. It pours very dark almost black. The nitro cascades down as a rich creamy milky head forms about a fingers width.

The smell is unique to this beer. It smells slightly sour with husky grains and coffee.

The taste is similar, tastes sour on the palate but as it warms in the mouth you can taste more of the goodness that is Guinness. It has husky grains taste with coffee, and and another taste that reminds me of cranberries. Mouthfell is slightly thinner than expected but I don't really know why people can't drink more than 2 at a setting. I do think this beer is an acquired taste for most people. This is truly a unique beer in most ways.

4.5/5  rDev +30.4%

While this isn't Guinness on tap, it is the next best thing. If you can't go to a pub for a few pints, then belly up to a few cans of this. It pours nice, thick and malty with a killer head. The head sticks around for a while, as it should. In fact, it is rare that I don't finish the glass before the head disappears. It has the nice dark color, with the beautiful tan head that I've come to love. Smells sweet, very distinctive. Taste is incredible, a nice malty, nutty taste. Tastes the same from beginning to end. Not overpowering at all, very smooth. I could drink these all day. I normally won't go for these in the summer, a bit too heavy for me in the heat, but if the temperature is below 60 I can't get enough of these.

2.8/5  rDev -18.8%

poured into a pint glass the 'surge' is really amazing. Cool can too. Milk color turns into an opaque jet black with a constant milky head. Pretty much perfect looking.
The smell is milder than would be expected. Not much too it. That dry stout smell
taste is... mild and too watery for a stout. It tastes pretty good but it really has no depth/substance. It's a one trick pony with no aftertaste or any flavor layers to speak of. What flavor this is can be quite enjoyable though.
Mouthfeel is not good. VERY watery feeling. No body at all. The carbonation is very low. Feels like bleech.
I could still see myself drinking quite a bit of this though, while it isn't deep or in any way exceptional, it can be enjoyable for what its worth. Low alcohol content also helps.

3.91/5  rDev +13.3%

Appearence - a rich very dark brown to black colour, a with creamy tan head that refuses to go away.

Smell - Roasted malt and coffee in the smell fairly faint.

Taste - Again roasted malt, with coffee and bits of chocolate, very appealing and quite tasty.
Mouthfeel - Surprisingly light, very smooth, low carbonation; and refreshing at the same time.
Drinkability - Very drinkable you could drink a lot over a short period of time just as easily as a single one over a long period. I find it appropriate at any time of the year

4.5/5  rDev +30.4%

I have had Guinness straight from the can, from the bottle, on tap. To start I would say I love guinness. A smooth creamy head with good lacing. Taste has a mild burnt flavor but the chocolate levels it all out nicely. it has a very good drinkability in my opinion. over all stout flavor is great. I prefer this stout far more then bodington's or murphy's...over great beer!

3.2/5  rDev -7.2%

Poured a deep brown, almost black color and settled with a dense compact head.

Not much in the nose other than some faint roated barley aromas

Nice creamey mouthfeel, with some fiant coffee notes, that ends with a moderate bitterness.

All in all, a basic stout thats on the lighter side, but decent nontheless. The extra stout (I think its called) is much better than this IMHO

3.26/5  rDev -5.5%

One of the first beers that I wanted to try. I am actually a bit dissapointed.

Appearance was good. Everyone who has seen a Guinness knows that part of the attractiveness is the contrast of the dark (nearly black) beer coupled with the creamy white head. The pour may have been the problem at the bar where I had this because the head was relatively short. This is the only reason it didn't score higher.

The smell was a bit weak for my tastes. I felt like the roasted malt should jump out at me. I could detect a faint smoky sweetness and almost no hops whatsoever.

The taste was good, not great. I had expected a smoother creamier beer. What I got was something that seemed to be a bit bland with notes of charcoal and roasted grain.

The mouthfeel was my favorite part of this beer aside from appearance. It reminded me of a good rootbeer pulled from tap. Very little carbonation, very smooth and soft.

Althought I didn't like it enough to order another I can definately see how you could drink a ton of this stuff. Its smoothness coupled with its easy taste could make for a looong night (or morning depending on your tastes).

3.12/5  rDev -9.6%

What can you say. The creamy head and lacing that covers my entire glass is the king of suds. Nose has a nutlike scent and taste is burnt. Carbonation is absent. If it had more bubbles I call it the best import session beer. A nice treat but wouldn't keep it in the fridge.

3.66/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Look: Bottle is appealing to look at.

Smell: Milky smell.

Taste: Dry, yet refreshing. Chocolate taste on the palate.

Feel: Easy to drink.

Overall: A reasonably priced macro which I intend on buying again.

4.4/5  rDev +27.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

It took a few pints of this thick rick heavy beer. The first time I had it, i could hardly drink it. Keep in mind my beer of choice then was Coors Light. It is a drastic difference from an American Lager to the stout beer AWESOME beer to make the transition from lagers, and and such.

3.94/5  rDev +14.2%

I live in California. Drinking in Ireland, Guinness shines. Not sure why the U.S. Guinness for me is terrible.
When in Ireland, (August 2015) noted the sour contribution, (lacto sourness?) & enjoyed it. Beer visually is amazing, like ice cream!

3.72/5  rDev +7.8%

My 2nd guinness brew and have to say that I like the stout better.

In a mug it poured a dark as ten nights brew with a thick creamy brown crown. Thin body. Roasted malts, some hints of coffe on the nose. Fairly the same on the palate. Watery and smooth at first sip and then it develops into a nice roasted malts taste without out loosing the smoothness, towards the end. Very good drinkability and aftertaste.

3.91/5  rDev +13.3%

Served into a pint glass from a nitro can.

Appearance: Boy, Guinness does know how to put on a show, a beautiful black dark beer, with that signature tan head, about a finger and a half thick.

Smell: Guinness has a definite malty scent, with hints of coffee, and caramel gently wafting to the nose. The scent is very faint, but if you look for it, its there.

Taste: Coffee, roasted malts, and the taste of hops comes through also at the end. There is also a bit of smokiness to the beer which gives it a very nice edge.

Mouthfeel: Boy is it thick, almost chewy.

Drinkability: They go down very easily for me at least. Once you get that foam to your lip, that beer goes down nice and easy.

Overall: A decent beer.

3.49/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Fortunately or unfortunately, this was my introduction to the wonderful world of beer. Guinness is all appearance and that's where it gets its fame. Nothing looks better than a pint freshly poured with a four leaf clover artfully designed on the top by a skilled barkeep.

At first sniff, it seems bitter and slightly wort-y and taste quickly confirms this suspicion. The hops stand out and there are few other distinct flavors except a slight tinge of roasted malt. On mouthfeel, it strikes a careful balance between watery and creamy. At the end it leaves a welcome, ticklingly bitter sensation on the back of the tongue.

It's something to come back to, but not for any special occasion. It goes well with hamburgers and fattening foods. In my opinion, Guinness Draught could probably be better marketed in the US as a better light beer alternative to the more cardboard-like taste of American light adjunct lagers (Natty, Bud, Miller).

For what it is meant to be, it does the job exceptionally well. If you expect this beer to make your day or give you a psycho-spiritual experience, get real. It's Guinness. It's a pint of plain. You order it with your burger because you want to enjoy your burger.

4.73/5  rDev +37.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Great beer! It took me a long time to build up the courage to try this beer. Tried it for the first time at Bible study a few weeks ago. My faith has indeed been restored!

3.16/5  rDev -8.4%

The original guinness draught, a beer around for more than 100 years and a classic at that. Bought a 500 nitro can for $2.70 at the LCBO.

Pours an extremely black colour with a cascading effect. Head is creamy, lots of lacing down the glass.

The smell is of malt and a slight grain finish. Smells musty with a tingering caramel smell.

Taste is so-so. Begins with a creamy almost water like feel on the tongue. A little bitterness hits the back of the throat when going down, and lingers around for a while until you take the next sip. I find this beer very thin in the mouthfeel...much like boddingtons, taste very much like water and cream.

Saying that, drinkability is not to bad but dont expect to down 8 of these in a session, nice for a cold day during winter. If you want something better of the style, try beamish instead, more flavor, less price, better overall package

4.07/5  rDev +18%

I could drink this stuff all day. While the extra stout is closer to what I'd expect from this category, Guinness Draught is still a fine example. I could drink this stuff anytime of the day. From the bottle is pretty good, especially when poured into a tulip glass, but nothing beats Guinness from the tap. Genious!

Appearance: Pitch black with cascading bubbles, .5-.75 of an inch of creamy, thick, give-you-a-mustache head.

Smell: Chocolatey (sp?) and a little bit of coffee, sweet.

Taste: MMM... It tastes... like guinness. The draught is much more smooth than the extra stout, with a bit of a bite or alkaline taste on the back of the tongue after it goes down. Sweet and smooth...

Mouthfeel: Thick, smooth. Not much to say about that.

Drinkability: Amazing. In the right bar with the right crowd and right music, I could easily swill 5+ pints of this stuff.

3.79/5  rDev +9.9%

Classic. Great stuff on a random basis, too much and I get sick of it fast. Dark, rich, creamy with little fizz and plenty of head and lace.

A - Black as night. Not much transperacy.

S - Not very fragrant, smells of coffee and chocolate.

T - I like it nice and cold, some like it warmer though. Very tasty/chewy brew. Tastes like coffee and hersheys bars with a hint of nutty-ness. Good as an Irish Car Bomb (1 shot Jameson Whiskey 1 part baileys dropped in a glass of guiness, tastes like a coffee drink or milkshake).

M - Not much fizz, easy drinking if you like it.

D - Drinkable on occasion, I can't drink it on a regular basis but it's damn good during the cold winter months.

4.7/5  rDev +36.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One of the best stouts on the planet. I'm sure some smaller breweries have made better but to make that amount and have it still be so damn good is still amazing. My personal favorite is the head. i love the head of a Guinness. It's like cream almost just beautiful. This will most likely remain my all time favorite stout!

3.8/5  rDev +10.1%

I first sampled a Guinness extra stout back in the 80's and didn't care for it then (too rich, too heavy and too malty for my inexperienced palate). I was introduced to the draught a few years ago and immediately loved it. Since that initial experience my taste in beer and particularily the darks has evolved to a more discriminating level.

S: Roasted Coffee with hint of chocolate and maltiness on the back end.

T: creamy smooth coffee up front with a hit of chocolate.

M: light-creamy, slightly sweet with carbonation...too light if you are used to the extra stout. But still quite pleasant.

I still think this is a great session beer. This review is for the nitro-can version. But Guinness Draught is positively best from the spigot and fresh.

4.31/5  rDev +24.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Obviously one f the classics, with its unique, almost indiscernible flavor that can only come from the hard waters of Dublin, an excellent chaser depending on the environment

4.46/5  rDev +29.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm surprised the bros rated it so low. It's a classic and a favorite for a lot of people. Personally I love it. It looks like a dark stout but it really has a light feel to it and its low in calories (it's a light beer to me). It's my go to on Sunday's when watching football.
Pours great. Nice head
Smells of malty goodness
Tastes of malt coffee and chocolate . Has a milky cream finish
It's a good starter into the stout world. Men's health says if you're gonna drink a beer drink a Guinness!

4.65/5  rDev +34.8%

More filling than the stout, i believe. But it is the perfect beer. So dark light can not pass through, a almost pure white head (not a pimple). The problem is you have to let it settle to get the full taste. so be in a hurry of you want to drink it. Perfect beer to have with cheese and a burger, but not if you want hot wings or a salad!

2.31/5  rDev -33%

It's black as night and a light tan head abount an inch thick. So far everything's ok.

It smells like burnt barley, I can live with that.

The taste is where it falters. What taste there is, is of burnt barley and not much else. Dry and unpleasant. The mouthful is ok, like waterd down cream, with it's low carbonation.

I think that Guinness is where a lot of people are turned off by dark beers. I'd take it over a budmillercoors, but if there were a decent stout or porter around, I'd leave this for someone else.

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.