Guinness Draught | Guinness Ltd.

Read the review

Style: Irish Dry Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

Ratings: 7,699 |  Reviews: 2,261

3.4/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured almost black with a supertight offwhite head 1" deep. Great head rentention and lacing

Some graininess and maltiness in the smell. Not much else

Taste: graininess, bitterness and dryness on the finish

MF: Silky and good carbonation levels

Drinkable enough, just lacks the depth of the export, other in-country competetitors or numerous clones inspired by the "original"

4.24/5  rDev +22.5%

Guinness created the category stout with this beer. By definition, one would expect it to score well if not the best. Honestly, I've always found Murphy's to be a bit smoother, richer and creamier. This glass was well-poured by the bartender--two thirds high, rest, then finished. The head was two fingers thick, light beige and produced beautiful lace. The color was dark, dark brown, nearly black.

The aroma was dark malt with strong coffee and biscuit notes. There was also a slight yeast smell. This was far subtler than I expected. This might be my only real disappointment.

The taste features sweet, malty flavors up front followed by a hop balance. The aftertaste offers a lingering burnt, black patent malt. The liquor is viscous and rich. While not as creamy as some stouts, it is a very full bodied. Overall, an excellent beer that commands respect from beginning to end.

2.06/5  rDev -40.5%

Appearance: Dark brown body with a dense cream-colored head.

Smell: Exceedingly mild, plain aroma of creamy roasted barley.

Taste: Very vague overall taste with only a mild coffee-like bitterness. From the first sip to the last there's just very little to offer here.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Mild carbonation. Joyless, watery texture.

Drinkability: Perhaps the widget-bottle isn't the way to go, 'cause this beer lacks any sort of distinct characteristics and comes across as watery and uninteresting.

2.99/5  rDev -13.6%

Had at a party at a friends house.

A: Poured black with an impressive head formation, typical of Guinness. Really nice head retention and lacing down the sides.

S: A little bit of roasted malt, but really not a whole lot going on. Slight hint of cream.

T: Similarly unremarkable. A little bit of chocolate and cream, but not much in terms of depth.

M: Medium bodied and creamy, the nitro is doing something I suppose.

O: It was the best choice where I was, but that doesn't make it great. Might drink it again if it was the best choice, but then again, I might just go water.

1.93/5  rDev -44.2%

Despite the fact that the plastic label beseeches me to 'drink straight from the bottle' and to 'serve extra cold', I will do neither. This will be at my beer fridge temperature of 50 degrees and will be poured into a nonick pint glass. I don't take orders from beer bottles. I'm also chagrined to discover that it checks in at less than 10 carbs (9.9 to be exact). That is what is commonly known as a red flag.

I get the usual nitro cascade effect on the pour, though it seems to be less impressive than what I see from the average nitro can. When the show is over--no more than 15 seconds--I'm left with an opaque, dark brown liquid crowned by a slim finger of heavily creamy, grayish brown foam. The nose is meek and is of roasted malt, chocolate and coffee in roughly equal proportions. Not bad, not great.

Guinness Draught tastes like watered-down Guinness Extra Stout. I mean that literally. It seems less like a weak stout (that was brewed as such) and more like water was added before bottling. What flavor I can discern is of lightly roasted dark malt and weak iced coffee with very little chocolatiness at all. The finish is nonexistent because there's very little flavor to begin with. The body/mouthfeel is, again, watery in the extreme.

Guinness Draught is one of the wimpiest stouts that I've ever had. It challenges my taste buds about as much as kindergarten final exams would challenge my intellect. It may have been a slightly better experience if I had sampled it straight from the bottle, but any beer that has to rely on a gimmick such as that gets no respect from me. This is a beer that doesn't deserve to be taken seriously. Next.

2.83/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

What Happened To My Guinness??!!??!!??

Appearance: Same great creamy looking head and leaves rings of lace all the way down ... the color is not as black as it used to be, its more of a very dark brown. Damn, I can see the bar light through the bottom of my pint!

Smell: Rusty water with some faint grain.

Taste: The tame roasted character is laughable, bitterness has been toned down and there is a mild cloying sweetness in the back.

Mouthfeel: Same nitro mouth feel but very, very thin and watery.

Drinkability: This beer has been dumbed down so much it is like drinking water. There are far better stouts than this.

This beer is an obvious victim of thinking about the $$$ and not the quality of the product.

There are rumors that the American product is kegged in the US from a combination of the "Essence of Guinness" (A product of Ireland) and the same malt base used in malternatives. I will find out the truth one day.

3.75/5  rDev +8.4%

4.05/5  rDev +17.1%

How odd that unlike many N2-CANs, this one has no warning about not shaking it before opening or the idea that there is a widget inside. Or I am one of the lucky winners of the Guinness CAN that rattles when gently inverted, letting me know that there is a rocket-propelled iron mace inside that will shoot out as soon as the CAN is cracked open. Oh, I do so hope that the latter is true! It's been so boring this summer and I could use a life-threatening injury to spice things up. Let's have a go, shall we?

Oooh, f**ksake, it's taken the top of me head off and I just bought that beanie this afternoon! I want me money reimbursed as I'll have to buy another beanie. Naw, just kiddin'! You lot ...

This looked like the Gulf of Mexico, courtesy of BP, in a glass. It had a finger's worth thick, rich cap of medium-tan head with great retention, capable of hanging around well into the fall. Color was a solid tar-black with zero light-penetration. Thank goodness I don't need to re-cap it because I wouldn't know where to start. Nose had a light milk chocolate sweetness underlain by a mild roastiness, kind of smoky, kind of charcoal. Mouthfeel was silky, creamy, like a dollop of something you might add to your coffee. Speaking of coffee, that was its initial flavour on the tongue. It was then followed by a chocolaty sweetness and then a charcoal bitterness. Finish was dry, more toward the charcoal/smoke taste than the sweetness noted earlier. Great lacing throughout. Hopefully, no peliCANs are nearby ... Not really a cooler-worthy beer, but more of a soccer or rugby match on the telly beer. Did I mention I now have the Dish Network? Doctor Who every weekday at 5 PM on BBC America! Who's your doctor and what's in your wallet?

2.62/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

My first nitro bottle, ehh is all I have to say. Poured fantastically, if you have never seen it you must, the cascade is just gorgeous. A very slight roasted malt, but that is about it. The taste is just flat to me. I am spoiled maybe by the good stouts that I can find, but this is just bland. No real presence, too oily and not enough character. The presentation is beautiful, but looks can be decieving.

3.45/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured chilled from the nitro-bottle into a 1/2 pint.

A - Mahogany w/ a ruby hue and thick densely layered foam appears like a beer milkshake-totally smooth surface

S - Woody and malt driven aroma w/ mild yeast and gentle hop mixed w/ a caramel note

M - Thinnish slight tang from yeast w/ nutty malt and nitrogen whipped texture

T - Mild toasted woody flavor w/ a tinge of pine hops and a gentle roasted grain. The flavor has a slightly sweet/smokey malt as the last taste is sampled

D - A basically good stout, above average for the style - I would probably pick this if in the mood for a dry stout.

3.8/5  rDev +9.8%

2.67/5  rDev -22.8%

One of the roommates bought beer, and this is what he brought home. I didn't want to be rude, so I had one.

A: This really is a nice looking pour. Dark brown, bordering on black with that patented creamy mocha colored head.

S: Very thin and watery on the nose. I pick up a few hints of roasted malt and maybe some chocolate.

T: Not too much better than the nose. A bit of roasted malt flavor and maybe a touch of chocolate and coffee, but overall it's very bland.

M: I do enjoy the creamy feel the nitro gives. Unfortunately, it seems to (have helped to) kill the rest of the beer.

D: This is really disappointing. I recall early on in my drinking days when Guinness was a fairly enjoyable beer, but it seems to have gone the way of so many other mass produced items.

2.75/5  rDev -20.5%

3.86/5  rDev +11.6%

Served in a Guinness tulip glass.

Pours into a frothy, auburn maelstrom that settles via cascade into a very dark brown, nearly black body with about a finger's worth of tan head that laces very nicely. There isn't much to the smell, only small bits of oats, malts, coffee, and sugar, all very faint. The taste delivers a solid amount of dark grains, with phases of milkiness and that trademark Guinness half-sour at the back. The body is near the top of the moderate scale, and is extremely smooth, leading to a highly drinkable brew. One of my favorite widely-distributed brews!

3.48/5  rDev +0.6%

Can from Bert's Better Beers.
Pours a solid black with a huge creamy tan head that displays and insane level of retention. Smells of roasted grains a hint of fruit and a touch of tart. The flavor mimics the aroma fairly well. Coffee like roasted grains that are quite drying with hints of fruit and tart. Light to medium body with a moderate level of carbonation and a slick creamy mouthfeel. An old favorite that I revisited today, solid brew, a bit simple and not the fantastic beer I thought it was so long ago.

3.5/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.72/5  rDev +7.5%

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.