Harp Lager | Guinness Ltd.

good
Read the review
Harp LagerHarp Lager

Guinness Ltd.
Ireland
guinness.com

Style: Euro Pale Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-03-2001

Ratings: 2,572 |  Reviews: 740

3.36/5  rDev +3.7%

500 mL can from the LCBO; packaged in September 2011. I am honestly surprised that I have never tried Harp before, because I don't think I've ever been in a liquor/beer store that didn't stock it.

Pours a familiar clear, golden-yellow colour, topped with a little more than a finger of soapy white head. Decent retention for a pale lager, lasting a few minutes before it fizzles away. Leaves behind some stringy lacing on the sides of the glass, and a thin, bumpy cap on the surface. Clean, simple and relatively fresh aroma with no off-putting qualities. Just some grainy pale malts and a light, grassy hoppiness.

The taste follows the aroma - simple and satisfying enough. Bready, grainy barley malts provide a clean sweetness, with some accompanying floral, grassy hop bitterness to balance it. Dry finish. Thin-bodied for sure, but seems a bit more slippery in the mouth than others of this type. Carbonation is a bit light for the style, making for a smooth, crisp pint.

Final Grade: 3.36, a B-. This is one of the better lagers I've had recently, but there is nothing inherently interesting about it. You could do much worse than Harp, and I'd probably pick this before most other bland Euro imports.

[Updated Aug. 10 2014]

Another 500 mL can. I've had several different EPLs over the past few nights, and Harp is not really a standout amongst them. That being said, there's nothing wrong with this as a lager at all (other than maybe the price point). I'm going to leave the grade as-is... this is a respectable Euro lager that is worth a try if you're into the style.

Photo of
2.5/5  rDev -22.8%

You had this beer. Write a review.

3.83/5  rDev +18.2%

12 fl oz, poured into a tall pilsner glass.

I have a fridge full of new beers that I haven't tried before, so this is a bit of a golden age for me. I'm ready to get started, so here we go...

A: You expect a lager, for the most part, to be golden in color, with a wheat-colored head, and some nice carbonation. Check, check and check. I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but it's looking good so far.

S: You expect a lager, for the most part, to smell of slight hops, grass, wheat, and citrus, usually lemon or grapefruit. Checks all around. I'm guardedly optimistic. Going in for the taste.

T: It's a good-tasting lager beer; I'm pleasantly surprised that it tasted like it smelled. The proportions were in a nice balance as well. I wish I'd bought two of these at the beer store.

M: Good, could be very good if I graded on a curve. I like the level of carbonation, it's light-bodied, and it washes nicely over the palate, leaving a fairly dry finish. You don't mind the burp, either.

O: If this beer were an employee, I'd give it a Meets Expectations as a review grade. It's not a superstar, but it's a solid performer that gives you what you expect; good taste and drinkability, and you want it to show up the next day. I wish I'd had a slice of pizza with this; that would have gone perfectly. Off to make a Steak-Umm sandwich for my next beer. Until next time.

3.2/5  rDev -1.2%

On tap at Tir na Nog outside Penn station in NYC. Golden hue with slight amber capped by a foamy head. Nose of grass and straw. Taste is slight hay balanced by light cracker sweetness. Mouth is light but drying. This is a good way to await a train ride back upstate.

2.72/5  rDev -16%

Poured unto a pint.

Appearance: Clear gold, not too bubbly...head is about 1/2" off the body.

Smell: Dry hops, comes off weak like most pale agers but doesn't come off bad.

Taste: Dry hops, slight corn...comes and goes not something worth bragging over.

Mouth: Light to medium carbonation, I was expecting this being a lager would be more carbonated. If it was it would probably help the taste out better.

Overall: I have drank this many times and it is probably better during warm weather and served cold. Not a bad beer but definitely not among the great ones, this goes for other "lagers" alike. Hope you enjoy, salud!

3.5/5  rDev +8%

Harp Lager from Guinness Ltd.